Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

Probably an Asrock thing?
Jumped from a 4770K to the 7900X in the sig (have a 7700K in the office but that doesn't count)

Just went to MC, picked up the CPU, free RAM, mobo, case (used a bunch of $25 coupons)
Picked up a 3060 Ti here on [H]
Picked up the HSF and fans from Amazon's BF sale

Swapped out the WiFi to an Intel AX210, assembled everything, booted right up
Updated to the latest beta BIOS (F3c), enabled EXPO, set a -30 offset + 135W PPT, and absolutely no issues (verified with Prime95, Core Cycler, plain idling, memtest, etc.)

Zero experience with Ryzens prior to this (previous AMDs are FX8320s), and migrated from Win7 to Win10 LTSC to boot!

View attachment 536740
Man, might wanna talk to an [H] moderator... someone cut your video card in half.... 🤣 lol. Dunno when I last saw a card so short!

Man, might wanna talk to an [H] moderator... someone cut your video card in half.... 🤣 lol. Dunno when I last saw a card so short!
It's an eVGA 3060 Ti XC Gaming
Someone was offloading a bunch of (well taken care of) mining cards here on [H], and I jumped at this one due to the size
No problems with thermals despite being a 2x (rather than 3x) fan design
Impressed since it is pretty much the same size as my old eVGA 1660 Super SC

The Lancool 170M seems to be a MicroCenter exclusive, as I cannot find any info online, and didn't even knew it existed until I came across it by chance in store.
Well built, compact (~21L mATX), and cheap (~$55)!
All / most other <= 20L options are either ITX, expensive, or both (nCase, etc.)

I'm going to be by the Cambridge, MA Microcenter for the first time in a while on Monday (should be insane in there) so I'm wondering if I should just go for it and grab a 7600x or 7700x with free ram deals or should wait to see what's going on with the new x3D? Plus I need new case and (obviously) motherboard.

5820k is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm not by Microcenter often (55min drive).

I'm going to be by the Cambridge, MA Microcenter for the first time in a while on Monday (should be insane in there) so I'm wondering if I should just go for it and grab a 7600x or 7700x with free ram deals or should wait to see what's going on with the new x3D? Plus I need new case and (obviously) motherboard.

5820k is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm not by Microcenter often (55min drive).
If you're having interesting in x3D, then just grab 7600x.
You can re-sell the chip if the x3D chip is worth it for upgrade.
Obviously, the AM5 platform will have a longer upgrade path compared to lga 1700, and that free ram bundle (wow, I wish we had that kind of deal in my region) is nice.

If you're having interesting in x3D, then just grab 7600x.
You can re-sell the chip if the x3D chip is worth it for upgrade.
Obviously, the AM5 platform will have a longer upgrade path compared to lga 1700, and that free ram bundle (wow, I wish we had that kind of deal in my region) is nice.
Only 16GB of ram (provided they have any in stock) with the 7600x, I’m wondering if I should even bother with the 7700x (32GB with that). I’d probably want 32GB of ram anyways.

What motherboard, case, cooling should I get?

Only 16GB of ram (provided they have any in stock) with the 7600x, I’m wondering if I should even bother with the 7700x (32GB with that). I’d probably want 32GB of ram anyways.

What motherboard, case, cooling should I get?
If you think it's worth it to spend 100$ more for 7700x while can get free 32gb one (I read the ram kit is the expo / xmp 6000mhz c30, and it's quite a good chip, probably hynix M-Die), then just go for 7700x.

1. You can grab B650E as it has almost all feature of x670e.
The cheapest one is asrock b650e pg riptide.

I myself is sniping for asus b650e i strix, but still put on hold waiting for the APU one to release next year.

2. For the case, simply choose the one based on your board choice (be it itx, matx, or atx).

3. For the cooling, 7600x or 7700x didn't really demand much as far as gaming (only) goes, so the tower air cooler like peerless assassins shall be enough. If you have spare cash aim for AIO 280/360mm so that you don't have to upgrade your cooler once you consider moving to x3d chip.

Jesus.... they have those issues on the NEW 7xxx platform?!?!? They had them on the 5xxx for a long time; for me, AGESA 1.2.0.5 and up fixed them for me 100%. I run everything Gen 4 PCIe and PBO curve the hell out of this thing with a healthy IF OC, and it runs great now.

Those issues would certainly lead me toward intel if they are on the new platform.
Yeah, my experience with Zen 4 is the stuff of nightmares. It's nightmare fuel to be precise. I suspected I was not the only person to experience the issues. The memory training is retarded. Like, if you recall, 1st Gen Ryzen the system might restart 5 times to lock the memory configuration and that was "new" to most of us. Now, the damn system can lock up and you don't know if it's training the ram or the system is totally hosed and CMOS clears don't even work all the time. You gotta clear all the power, wipe the BIOS and pray the system wants to post again.

Yep I gave up the idea of a Zen 4 3D system too and went with a 13700K build. I tried a Asrock X670E + 7900X system that had constant audio stutters, had to turn off ftpm and security device in BIOS. Then the system went into usb disconnect/reconnect cycles during gaming unless I set my GPU to Gen 3. Also every power cycle took forever because of memory training when trying to reset CMOS or flash a new BIOS. Not to mention when tweaking AMD Ryzen Master it overwrote my memory settings in a field that even a BIOS flashback doesn’t touch so the PC wouldn’t even post until I took out the CMOS battery to reset all the memory settings.

Worst experience ever with a new platform, I tried to like it but it was such a chore I just decided to go back to Intel.
Yeah, it was the worst experience I have ever had with any system build, ever.
I was considering 13th Gen but I don't know what it brings to the table for me other than super Single Threaded performance for my ancient games I almost never touch anymore. Finally, I can go to turn 600 In SOTS.... maybe... if the RAM isn't maxed out. lol.

I have my 5900X at 4.6 Ghz all cores and it seems pretty stable. I might be motivated to migrate to team blue if I it lights on fire. I tried doing that while forcing a single CCD to post at 5 Ghz. It wouldn't boot into the OS. My 7900XTX and the 5900X seem to be doing pretty well. Ultimately, I think the GPU upgrade was a lot more valuable than the CPU upgrade for me.

damn. I'm still on my [email protected]. I have an AM4 platform for my htpc. Are you saying it would be better to upgrade to the 5800x3d now, switch PCs, and wait out until the ryzen 8000s are announced? See if hardware bugs are quashed?

Yeah, it was the worst experience I have ever had with any system build, ever.
I was considering 13th Gen but I don't know what it brings to the table for me other than super Single Threaded performance for my ancient games I almost never touch anymore. Finally, I can go to turn 600 In SOTS.... maybe... if the RAM isn't maxed out. lol.

I have my 5900X at 4.6 Ghz all cores and it seems pretty stable. I might be motivated to migrate to team blue if I it lights on fire. I tried doing that while forcing a single CCD to post at 5 Ghz. It wouldn't boot into the OS. My 7900XTX and the 5900X seem to be doing pretty well. Ultimately, I think the GPU upgrade was a lot more valuable than the CPU upgrade for me.
Honestly, a good PBO Curve would be better for gaming on a 5900X and its not terribly hard to get stable. But I guess an all core OC is about as simple as it gets for stability testing.

Yeah, my experience with Zen 4 is the stuff of nightmares. It's nightmare fuel to be precise. I suspected I was not the only person to experience the issues. The memory training is retarded. Like, if you recall, 1st Gen Ryzen the system might restart 5 times to lock the memory configuration and that was "new" to most of us. Now, the damn system can lock up and you don't know if it's training the ram or the system is totally hosed and CMOS clears don't even work all the time. You gotta clear all the power, wipe the BIOS and pray the system wants to post again.
That's messed up. Zen 3 does not have those memory problems... wonder if it's some DDR5 bullshit? My system posts into windows in under 10 seconds.

Hopefully the Zen 4 issues are something that gets fixed over time. I get that the first time memory thing is currently unavoidable, but that shouldn't be something you encounter often. Is the normal boot time the same as Intel/Zen 3 systems?

Honestly, a good PBO Curve would be better for gaming on a 5900X and its not terribly hard to get stable. But I guess an all core OC is about as simple as it gets for stability testing.

That's messed up. Zen 3 does not have those memory problems... wonder if it's some DDR5 bullshit? My system posts into windows in under 10 seconds.
My Zen 3 5900X is crazy fast, the Zen 4 parts are slow out the gate and fast in the OS. When I say slow, sometimes it's slower than molasses in winter.

DDR5 is fine if you run it stock at 4800. If you have to train it to 6000.... It's nightmare fuel time.

Hopefully the Zen 4 issues are something that gets fixed over time. I get that the first time memory thing is currently unavoidable, but that shouldn't be something you encounter often. Is the normal boot time the same as Intel/Zen 3 systems?
I suspect that the platform will be awesome right before they switch to a new one!

I'm underwhelmed by AMD's performance. Intel has been stuck on 10nm +++ at this point and it looks like they're gonna do one more refresh on 10nm because their 7nm (or Intel4 bullshit nomenclature) is still in development hell just like 10 was.

It's not the density that Intel is starting to kick AMD's ass with at this point, it's that AMD largely stopped innovating. They just bolted on all the new shit and declared victory and got their asses nearly handed to them by Intel on an older platform and an inferior process node. Like massively inferior at this point.

So, AMD took Zen 3 and Overclocked it on a smaller node (5nm) with zero efficiency gain and not even as fast as Intel on 10nm. I should not have expected anything more from them. 1-2 good generations and they don't act like an underdog, they act like market leaders and they're not there yet.

Intel is innovating, making literal shit run amazing because their fabs aren't up to snuff. I'm really impressed by what they did with 12th and 13th gen chips. There may be platform longevity for them too, if they are doing another refresh for 14th gen. So those 600 and 700 series boards may be good for one more processor. Intel is becoming AMD of old and AMD is already acting like Intel of old...

I may have been way off in intels refresh ... Looks like they will introduce some sort of 7nm part (allegedly in mobile) this year but it looks like it's not working out at the core counts of even 13th gen. Looks like I was right... 10nm one more time. AMD has a real chance here to do something, but I think they're just gonna sit on their asses after they release the X3D parts, until next gen, which will probably only compete with Intel 13th Gen Speeds... Until they release their Zen 5 X3D stuff.
FjdVjt8UcAAdDQ2.jpeg

Last edited:
5820k @ 4.3GHz w/2080Ti. I was planning on upgrading this holiday season but I figure I've waited this long I might as well wait a little longer.

Once the new x3D reviews start coming out I will decide my next step.
Not till Zen 5. Planning on riding out the next 2-3 years on AM4, 5800x3d and DDR4. Might try and grab a 32GB Kit of memory to replace my 16GB B-Die

AMD's CES keynote is at 6:30PM (Pacific) tonight. I think we all know these are coming, but it'll be a matter of when and what SKU's. Well, that and how much they want for 'em. That'll affect my decision whether to go with these vs. Intel. Those Z790 boards are kinda pricey vs. B650E.

For me it’s more of a matter of how much and will it be worth it to purchase over a standard chip.

AMD's CES keynote is at 6:30PM (Pacific) tonight. I think we all know these are coming, but it'll be a matter of when and what SKU's. Well, that and how much they want for 'em. That'll affect my decision whether to go with these vs. Intel. Those Z790 boards are kinda pricey vs. B650E.

Same here. I have a 5900x system that is my primary PC which I will be building a new Raptor Lake or AM5 system to become my new primary PC. If they don't have a 16 core chip, I probably will go with Intel. My fear is that they will only have an 8 core version which will do awesome in games but suffer in productivity.

Hoping for a release date of January 2023, been holding out for an upgrade and have some store credit that is expiring at the end of this month.

A 78003D is what I'd want anyway, so I'm fine with that along with a release in January. That said, it still needs to be priced right vs. Intel.

Leaks are pretty confident there will be 8, 12, and 16 core x3D.

rumors there could be a 6 core. But they aren't confident rumors.
I have a friend that is an engineer at AMD and they were having issues with the 12 and 16 core. Maybe just maybe they might announce those today but I doubt it.

I have a friend who works at TSMC and he said they already have 100K+ produced for each SKU. They have been shipping for weeks

I have a friend who works at TSMC and he said they already have 100K+ produced for each SKU. They have been shipping for weeks
Wow, that is news to me, guess we will find out tonight and I will eat crow (then complain to my friend that he knows nothing lol). TSMC is probably a more reliable source as far as the output goes.

I'm guessing "only" single digit gains over 13900k at 4K?
Probably. Don’t think we will see as big of a jump as we did with the 5800. My guess is that it will be around 5-10 percent faster than 13900K but only 1-3 percent faster than the 13900KS. If the leak is true the 7950XD main fame will be its power usage.

Wait until 8:30 CSt when they do the actual announcement.
I didn't realize this wasn't the actual announcement.
I'm guessing the 120w TDP for the big CPUs means lower all core performance.
And the 7700X3D is actually higher TDP, to account for the extra cache. And maaaaybe its also a special binned CCX, which maintains all core boost better, and will be marketed as THE gaming CPU? I dunno, just spitballing.

Back