Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

Should I be hugely concerned about the onboard audio? I have a arctis pro headseat, comes with its own DAC

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-wireless

Also, there is a microcenter about 20 min away from me. I hope they do the mobo+ram deals later
Probably not an issue for you with that headset. I never count on onboard audio to cut it and always have an alternate solution or sound card to drive the audio. But then again, I have all my systems wired into 5.1+ Receivers and connected to external speakers.

Should I be hugely concerned about the onboard audio? I have a arctis pro headseat, comes with its own DAC

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-wireless

Also, there is a microcenter about 20 min away from me. I hope they do the mobo+ram deals later
As far as your proximity to MC is concerned.... You suck! On a good day, MC is 45 Minutes from me. On a normal day, it's a 3+ hour round trip experience. Chicago traffic sucks.

I've been pretty stalwart on saying i wouldn't upgrade this generation until Microcenter started throwing gobs of DDR-5 6000 out the window for free + substantial discounts for the new chips and motherboards. However, I may go this weekend and drop about 650 bucks and walk away with a Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX which has surprisingly good reviews (but no PCIE 5.0 slot), a 7700X and 32 Gigs of DDR5-6000... that's 644 after taxes. I looked at intel 12 and 13th gen stuff but the dead platform is what's really stopping me there. AMD will (in theory) support this platform for the next 3-4 years.

So, as to your question. You have to do extensive research about the features of the individual boards. Each of these releases cuts out something, and no two boards are alike. The B650 series (non E eversions) have limited or no PCIE-5th GEN lanes, probably trash onboard audio (I always use my own discreet solution but this might be an issue for some people). So, looks like that board has 4 PCI-E 5 lanes, it's MATX, handles 60A instead of the 70 ln the 670 version. It's basically a stripped down version of the X670 Aorus Elite AX. Depends on your use case.

Sorry Missed the RAM thing: Lower CAS latency if possible, I think the entry level 6000 parts are 36... Here you're going to have to balance price of the RAM vs the benefits of the timings. You will likely be fine with anything that AMD can match their Fabric Speeds to at an equivalent level (so study what the Motherboard supports in RAM speeds too). Though fabric is less of a problem this gen.

I figure the MC special will get me on the platform and my investment will not be so brutal as to prevent me from considering adopting an X3D Chip as it emerges. I suspect they will be one CCD units not the speculated 2 CCD designs that seemingly have leaked... If you have a Microcenter nearby or even 1-2 hours away, its typically worth the drive.

UPDATE (AMD 7700X):

After like 20 Hours of rebuilds and nightmare fuel AMD early adopter woes I have given up. I had 2 motherboards: The Aorus X670 AX which was reviewed well and the Asrock X670E PG Lightning, 2 RAM kits the DDR5CL36 Gskill and the DDR5 CL30 Gskill. Brand new 1,000 Watt ROG PS.

The Aorus never made it into the OS an was never stable enough to flash the BIOS. This was the MC group of hardware that failed to function completely.

The Asrock X670E was stable enough to boot once, flash the BIOS to latest but EXPO memory training locked the system every time. This is the Amazon group of hardware that never worked properly.

Both boards required near constant CMOS clearing to function in any capacity.

I'm guessing you have to shoot high end to avoid issues this generation. Where with the X570 series stuff you could get stability and performance on the cheap... that is not true of the X670 stuff as far as I can tell.

Looks like I have verification from 2 Boards that the DDR5 CL36 was bad. Couldn't get it to boot on either board.

While the Gskill DDR5 CL30 booted into windows once it never locked at 6000, it only ran stable on the boards at 4800 Mhz.

This is probably the ugliest upgrade process I have ever lived through. Hell, I used to think setting IRQ and DMA addresses manually was bad. This process on 7000 Series was nightmare fuel. I swore a LOT during the process of the testing. The boot to BIOS times are slow as hell, the memory training times are absurd. The Adoption cost is ridiculous and ... First Gen Ryzen worked within minutes on a bullshit, immature BIOS that didn't even offer full support for RAM or many of their features until 6-12 months down the road. But it worked... Most Intel platforms I pickup work out of the box. After this experience, I may very well switch to Team Blue. I don't know how they can even sell this architecture with my experiences with it this past week.

Tossed in my 5900X and it fired fired right back up with no issues. After looking at the performance numbers in 4K I don't even know what I was thinking trying to upgrade, utterly pointless. If the AM5 shit had gone in smooth, I would have been pretty happy to be on a platform with some longevity. If all the 300 ish dollar Motherboards are garbage this gen, stay the hell away. I think AMD has some serious stability shit to work on for the average consumer.
That sounds like a nightmare and really scares to me to even fool with an AM5 build as that would be my luck. I have used nothing but Intel for the last 12 years and no issues at all and never had to fool around with hardly anything in the BIOS unless I was overclocking which I don't even do that now. On my current 9900k setup, I set the XMP profile and that was pretty much it. That said I don't really want the 13900k and its platform is lacking so much compared to AM5.

I've been pretty stalwart on saying i wouldn't upgrade this generation until Microcenter started throwing gobs of DDR-5 6000 out the window for free + substantial discounts for the new chips and motherboards. However, I may go this weekend and drop about 650 bucks and walk away with a Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX which has surprisingly good reviews (but no PCIE 5.0 slot), a 7700X and 32 Gigs of DDR5-6000... that's 644 after taxes. I looked at intel 12 and 13th gen stuff but the dead platform is what's really stopping me there. AMD will (in theory) support this platform for the next 3-4 years.

So, as to your question. You have to do extensive research about the features of the individual boards. Each of these releases cuts out something, and no two boards are alike. The B650 series (non E eversions) have limited or no PCIE-5th GEN lanes, probably trash onboard audio (I always use my own discreet solution but this might be an issue for some people). So, looks like that board has 4 PCI-E 5 lanes, it's MATX, handles 60A instead of the 70 ln the 670 version. It's basically a stripped down version of the X670 Aorus Elite AX. Depends on your use case.

Sorry Missed the RAM thing: Lower CAS latency if possible, I think the entry level 6000 parts are 36... Here you're going to have to balance price of the RAM vs the benefits of the timings. You will likely be fine with anything that AMD can match their Fabric Speeds to at an equivalent level (so study what the Motherboard supports in RAM speeds too). Though fabric is less of a problem this gen.

I figure the MC special will get me on the platform and my investment will not be so brutal as to prevent me from considering adopting an X3D Chip as it emerges. I suspect they will be one CCD units not the speculated 2 CCD designs that seemingly have leaked... If you have a Microcenter nearby or even 1-2 hours away, its typically worth the drive.

UPDATE (AMD 7700X):

After like 20 Hours of rebuilds and nightmare fuel AMD early adopter woes I have given up. I had 2 motherboards: The Aorus X670 AX which was reviewed well and the Asrock X670E PG Lightning, 2 RAM kits the DDR5CL36 Gskill and the DDR5 CL30 Gskill. Brand new 1,000 Watt ROG PS.

The Aorus never made it into the OS an was never stable enough to flash the BIOS. This was the MC group of hardware that failed to function completely.

The Asrock X670E was stable enough to boot once, flash the BIOS to latest but EXPO memory training locked the system every time. This is the Amazon group of hardware that never worked properly.

I'm guessing you have to shoot high end to avoid issues this generation. Where with the X570 series stuff you could get stability and performance on the cheap... that is not true of the X670 stuff as far as I can tell.

Looks like I have verification from 2 Boards that the DDR5 CL36 was bad. Couldn't get it to boot on either board.

While the Gskill DDR5 CL30 booted into windows once it never locked at 6000, it only ran stable on the boards at 4800 Mhz.

This is probably the ugliest upgrade process I have ever lived through. Hell, I used to think setting IRQ and DMA addresses manually was bad. This process on 7000 Series was nightmare fuel. I swore a LOT during the process of the testing. The boot to BIOS times are slow as hell, the memory training times are absurd. The Adoption cost is ridiculous and ... First Gen Ryzen worked within minutes on a bullshit, immature BIOS that didn't even offer full support for RAM or many of their features until 6-12 months down the road. But it worked... Most Intel platforms I pickup work out of the box. After this experience, I may very well switch to Team Blue. I don't know how they can even sell this architecture with my experiences with it this past week.

Tossed in my 5900X and it fired fired right back up with no issues. After looking at the performance numbers in 4K I don't even know what I was thinking trying to upgrade, utterly pointless. If the AM5 shit had gone in smooth, I would have been pretty happy to be on a platform with some longevity. If all the 300 ish dollar Motherboards are garbage this gen, stay the hell away. I think AMD has some serious stability shit to work on for the average consumer.
Damn! :(

I’m about to build a system based on an Asus Rog Strix B650E-E – wish me luck! :eek:

Damn! :(

I’m about to build a system based on an Asus Rog Strix B650E-E – wish me luck! :eek:
Good luck !

Legendary Gamer : That is the stuff of nightmares! Sorry to hear you had to deal with all that. I did two AM5 builds in one night for myself and a buddy and both were super smooth and have been running for weeks problem free. Mine is a 7700x and his is the 7600x. Both are with the C30 6000 GSkill ram bundle from Microcenter and on the Gene x670e boards.

My advice to anyone : Do a bios update to the latest non beta version of your board and let everything run in auto until the OS is installed and you have all your drivers etc. Run some benches or stability tests , play a game or whatever. If all good then enable expo for the ram and see how it goes. Maybe I just got lucky but it ,so far , has been among the easiest pain free builds I’ve ever done.

Good luck !

Legendary Gamer : That is the stuff of nightmares! Sorry to hear you had to deal with all that. I did two AM5 builds in one night for myself and a buddy and both were super smooth and have been running for weeks problem free. Mine is a 7700x and his is the 7600x. Both are with the C30 6000 GSkill ram bundle from Microcenter and on the Gene x670e boards.

My advice to anyone : Do a bios update to the latest non beta version of your board and let everything run in auto until the OS is installed and you have all your drivers etc. Run some benches or stability tests , play a game or whatever. If all good then enable expo for the ram and see how it goes. Maybe I just got lucky but it ,so far , has been among the easiest pain free builds I’ve ever done.
I just got to microcenter to return the hardware. I think the big issue was the ram they gave me was DoA. The ram I got from Amazon died mid way through the second build.

I put my 5900x back in and I'm just gonna focus one pulling that 4.65Ghz OC out of it. I've got an Arctic 280 II in push pull. Should handle that easy.

Looks like it was plenty for the 7700x while I had it running too. Lol
I have been sitting here for about 40 min. Chicago has so much road construction going on you have to get places early to avoid the traffic.

Yeah, I think I will sit on my 5900x and the 7900 xtx showing up today or tomorrow and just wait for the AM5 platform to mature to the edge of it's useful life. After this experience I will let the issues get ironed out. I have enough horsepower for everything now. The 5900x either matches or outruns the 7700x at 4K. Everything else the 7700k beats the shit out of it all.

TY everyone for your suggestions and experiences.

Gen5 Nvme controller specs are starting to show up and are looking really good for random IOPs (theoretical). I'm gonna wait and see how these pan out for real world performance before deciding on what my next board choice and supported cpu will be. I think this will dictate the feel of the systems overall speed going forward for me.

Gen5 Nvme controller specs are starting to show up and are looking really good for random IOPs (theoretical). I'm gonna wait and see how these pan out for real world performance before deciding on what my next board choice and supported cpu will be. I think this will dictate the feel of the systems overall speed going forward for me.
Not really sure we will be able to tell the difference between Ludicrous Speed from Gen4 and Insane Speed from Gen5. Most people don't transfer at 4-7,000 Megs a second (Gen4) let alone whatever Gen5 will do. If you're running specific tasks that rely on the data transfers that's fine. But unless you're in a datacenter, its not gonna matter. Most people would have to have over 10G ethernet connections at home to even see the benefit of Gen 5 Speed.

Here's a real world example: My Gen3 NVME drive was worlds better than SATA SSD. I could see and feel the drive transferring and loading things a shitload faster. Moved to Gen4 and I can't tell the difference between the 2,500 Megs per second and the 5,000 Megs per second that my Gen4 has (newer Gen4 devices transfer 7,000+ Megs per second). Not sure what the hell would require that kind of data transfer on the consumer side of things.

Highest stable OC I could get on the 5900X was 4.6 All Core. (I can run the system at 4.8 All Core if I only Run CCD 0) Temperatures are stable under load and eventually drop. I was able to get the system to boot at 5.0 Ghz but I couldn't get into windows even on only one CCD.

I suppose this will do until I work up the nerve to beat my head into a wall again with another upgrade.

not I, I was running 5800x in my computer and my daughter's computer and replaced with 2 5800x3ds. of course as soon as I bought the 5800x3ds they announced the 7700x3d lol.

My current plan is to snatch up a 7800X3D (or whatever model is targeting that range) and start a new build in the spring. I was planning on putting things together 2 months ago, but just couldn't justify it. I figure those 3D processors should coincide with some other new tech that hasn't hit yet, mainly PCIE 5 PSU's and drives. Even if I don't buy one, I'd at least like to see what they bring to the table.

It's officially announced?
I saw it on one of those youtube channels that talk about gaming computers and was showing the korean lady talking about it with a graph and it was a 7700x3d not a 7800x3d. So i guess official atleast in Korea.

CES is heavily rumored to be the official announcement of Zen4x3D. January 23rd rumored release date.

Confident rumores say it will be offered in 8, 12, and 16 core. 20-30% extra performance in apps which like the cache boost.

Also less confident rumors there may be a 6 core. If true, that would be an incredible gaming value CPU. The 7600x is already really dang good at gaming (beats 12900k in many games) and is available for $240, now.

Last edited:
I have no practical need for 12 or 16 cores (even if I do use Adobe CC a lot), so I figure I'll target the 8.

I have no practical need for 12 or 16 cores (even if I do use Adobe CC a lot), so I figure I'll target the 8.

yeah my gaming PC has a 4790k, and I only encode new movies into my HTPC once every few weeks (already have a large collection)!

Current games will mostly peak at 16 threads (thanks Zen 2 APU), so also waiting for the fastest single thread I can (Zen 4 8-core 3d for gaming)

Yes, taking the plunge myself from a 8086k system built nearly 5 years ago. Going 7700k on an Asus ROG Strix X670E-E, will swap to a X3D chip once they're available. Snagged some Corsair DDR5-6000 with the tightest timings possible, hopefully no issues otherwise I'll roll with the free MC bundle.

Yes, taking the plunge myself from a 8086k system built nearly 5 years ago. Going 7700k on an Asus ROG Strix X670E-E, will swap to a X3D chip once they're available. Snagged some Corsair DDR5-6000 with the tightest timings possible, hopefully no issues otherwise I'll roll with the free MC bundle.
From my two friend's test on 7000 series IMC and memory training, I think the free MC bundled ddr5 kits will be enough for daily setting. That ~300$ savings can be used later to upgrade to X3D chip.

What was the exact ram kit you got?

ugh i hate rgb. Also, why is it all the DDR5 kits im seeing are 2x16gb? Is 2x8gb not cool anymore?

If they actually release a 7950X3D, I'd be tempted to upgrade again, but TBH, at 4K max setting gaming (what I do), the 5950X I have is way more than enough CPU for that resolution as I am always GPU limited. However, I like the extra cores for when I am working on multiple VMs during the day, so the 5800X3D would have been a side grade at best for me, and likely, a slight downgrade.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i mean i dont mind the $40, just curious.

What timings would you suggest I aim for?

If they actually release a 7950X3D, I'd be tempted to upgrade again, but TBH, at 4K max setting gaming (what I do), the 5950X I have is way more than enough CPU for that resolution as I am always GPU limited. However, I like the extra cores for when I am working on multiple VMs during the day, so the 5800X3D would have been a side grade at best for me, and likely, a slight downgrade.
4080 and 4090 benefit from the best CPUs, even at 4k.

4080 and 4090 benefit from the best CPUs, even at 4k.
Sure, almost anything will technically, the question is by how much? A few games stand out here or there from that I have seen (like MSFS2020 which is horribly CPU limited), but at most you're talking a few frames at that resolution. They key is more keeping those 1% lows up, but I have not come across any reviews yet comparing the 5800X3D and say a 5800 or 5900X on a 4090, all I saw so far was a 5800X3D vs a 13900k with a 4090.

Sure, almost anything will technically, the question is by how much? A few games stand out here or there from that I have seen (like MSFS2020 which is horribly CPU limited), but at most you're talking a few frames at that resolution. They key is more keeping those 1% lows up, but I have not come across any reviews yet comparing the 5800X3D and say a 5800 or 5900X on a 4090, all I saw so far was a 5800X3D vs a 13900k with a 4090.
1671726834682.png

and a comparison of 13600k, 7600x, 5600x, and 5800x3D

Last edited:
Nice... found it, but sadly, I hate when they only show percentages on these graphs... lol. Like, whats the base FPS?

In reading though, only confirms what I suspect for more modern games... and most of which are still rendering faster than my monitors refresh rate of 144Hz anyway!

"At 4K, which is really the territory the GeForce RTX 4090 was built for, we're seeing very solid gains in many titles, especially those that are lighter in their rendering requirements. Many games are fully GPU limited here though, and show negligible differences. Especially modern, demanding titles are able to fully load the GPU at that resolution, even with a weaker CPU. Averaged FPS across all of the games was 170 on the 5800X and 183 on the 5800X3D—wow, just a few years ago we dreamed about 4K60."

The 5800X being the same architecture as the 5950X, I'd see absolutely nothing out of it on my 144Hz monitor at 4K, I'd actually lose out with a 5800X3D because I do use the cores for work. I suppose if my 1% lows were bad, then maybe some difference, but at that point, I'd be building a new system by the time that became an issue anyway.

2021-2022.png

i wonder how much of a gaming performance increase the various X3D chips will have. Also wonder if the price/performance curve will be linear

It won't be linear, because not all games are bottlenecked by memory latency. It was the same with Broadwell and and 5800X3D. In some games there's no benefit, in fact there's regression because of lower clocks than the non-3D model. In other games it's sometimes up to a 30% improvement.

Personally, I'm not exacting miracles at 4K at 60+ FPS. Usually it's a matter of consistent FPS vs. spikes when shooting for framerates over 100. My display is capped at 120Hz (and most people are capped at 60), so I don't know if it'll matter that much in the real world. The way I see it, gaming is still the #1 reason most people want/need a new system though. Might as well see what these things bring to the table before jumping on one of the other CPU's. Plus, there are still some of those outside cases where they really do legitimately help performance in picky games. For all we know in 2023/24 that might be more widespread. In the cases where they're "worse" it's usually in a negligible situation with 500fps vs. 475fps.

UPDATE (AMD 7700X):

Yep I gave up the idea of a Zen 4 3D system too and went with a 13700K build. I tried a Asrock X670E + 7900X system that had constant audio stutters, had to turn off ftpm and security device in BIOS. Then the system went into usb disconnect/reconnect cycles during gaming unless I set my GPU to Gen 3. Also every power cycle took forever because of memory training when trying to reset CMOS or flash a new BIOS. Not to mention when tweaking AMD Ryzen Master it overwrote my memory settings in a field that even a BIOS flashback doesn’t touch so the PC wouldn’t even post until I took out the CMOS battery to reset all the memory settings.

Worst experience ever with a new platform, I tried to like it but it was such a chore I just decided to go back to Intel.

Last edited:
Yep I gave up the idea of a Zen 4 3D system too and went with a 13700K build. I tried a Asrock X670E + 7900X system that had constant audio stutters, had to turn off ftpm and security device in BIOS. Then the system went into usb disconnect/reconnect cycles during gaming unless I set my GPU to Gen 3. Also every power cycle took forever because of memory training when trying to reset CMOS or flash a new BIOS. Not to mention when tweaking AMD Ryzen Master it overwrote my memory settings in a field that even a BIOS flashback doesn’t touch so the PC wouldn’t even post until I took out the CMOS battery to reset all the memory settings.

Worst experience ever with a new platform, I tried to like it but it was such a chore I just decided to go back to Intel.
Jesus.... they have those issues on the NEW 7xxx platform?!?!? They had them on the 5xxx for a long time; for me, AGESA 1.2.0.5 and up fixed them for me 100%. I run everything Gen 4 PCIe and PBO curve the hell out of this thing with a healthy IF OC, and it runs great now.

Those issues would certainly lead me toward intel if they are on the new platform.

Depending on what these 3D CPU's actually bring to the table, I'm 100% open to an Intel solution, too. Right now both "teams" have good product options and Intel stuff has historically been almost completely trouble-free on my end.

Jesus.... they have those issues on the NEW 7xxx platform?!?!? They had them on the 5xxx for a long time; for me, AGESA 1.2.0.5 and up fixed them for me 100%. I run everything Gen 4 PCIe and PBO curve the hell out of this thing with a healthy IF OC, and it runs great now.
Probably an Asrock thing?
Jumped from a 4770K to the 7900X in the sig (have a 7700K in the office but that doesn't count)

Just went to MC, picked up the CPU, free RAM, mobo, case (used a bunch of $25 coupons)
Picked up a 3060 Ti here on [H]
Picked up the HSF and fans from Amazon's BF sale

Swapped out the WiFi to an Intel AX210, assembled everything, booted right up
Updated to the latest beta BIOS (F3c), enabled EXPO, set a -30 offset + 135W PPT, and absolutely no issues (verified with Prime95, Core Cycler, plain idling, memtest, etc.)

Zero experience with Ryzens prior to this (previous AMDs are FX8320s), and migrated from Win7 to Win10 LTSC to boot!

318512885_10110076830308250_3960139572770807610_n.jpg

Back