Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

I just got a 7700X combo at Micro Center in preparation for X3D. I highly doubt they will be giving away RAM with X3D - it'll be a tough chip to get.
The ram kit is 6000 c32? wow you guys really have amazing deal there.
Here in my region, 7700x is ~$390 so a bit lower than MSRP but without any free ram kits haha.

Also that 6000 c32 kit will be enough for now, and as long as AGESA keep improving, 6600 ~ 6800 c32/34 will be doable.

Being that I'm viewing this upcoming AM5 build as a foundation for the next 5+ years, does it make sense to get a mobo with PCI-E 5.0? I really like the GIGABYTE B650M AORUS Elite AX, but its PCIE 4.0. But its 'only' $200. The PCIE 5.0 equivalent, B650E, is like $350-$400. Wtf? These prices are fucking insane.

For what its worth, TechPowerUp (link) did a PCIE scaling gaming review on the 4090. The difference between PCIE 3 and PCIE4 is like 2% at 1440 and 4K.
  • Is it fair to assume that the difference from PCI4 to PCI5 will be similarly small?
  • Being that the 4090, the latest and greatest, isn't even PCI5 itself, is it fair to assume that PCI5 would be more prevalent in AM6?

edit:
Newegg has several PCIe 5x16 mobo with integrated wifi, prices ranging from $240. The price is doable (i guess), are any of these cheaper ones good? I only care about gaming and office work.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007625 601406716 601408982 601334148 601321778&Order=1
I got this board in preparation for a 7800X3D MSI X670 Pro. Been tinkering on the test bench with a 7700X using the onboard graphics and it's working really well. The only caveat is the realtek lan but unless ya have Gigabit fiber at home you won't notice it's not an intel nic.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is the cl30 32gb worth the $189? For gaming only I doubt it
I’ve got that in my other rig (7950X) - don’t notice any benefit. Great for synthetic benchmarks.

EDIT: I will add this - if you have the opportunity to get "free" DDR5 like in the Micro Center promo - I suggest you just nab it. Use it. Enjoy it. Enjoy the savings. If somehow you decide it's not enough for you - it's an easy upgrade in the future. I will tell you - I've bought exotic RAM multiple times in my life. I've never felt anywhere near the pang of satisfaction that I get from a new GPU, CPU, or SSD with RAM. Unless I'm just trying to slay foos on {H} in 3DMark, lol.

Last edited:
Zen 4 3d launch date denied/revoked:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/147...ryzen-x3d-chips-get-february-launch-date.html

"After reports began circulating that showed AMD’s website listing February 14 as the availability date of its highly anticipated Ryzen 7000X3D CPU, the company has had to officially poured cold water on the idea.

As you know, today AMD.com briefly published a launch date for the Ryzen 7000X3D Series Desktop processors; however, that date is incorrect. We have not confirmed a launch date at this time. We will provide updates on the expected availability of these processors at a future date,” a company spokesman said in an email to PCWorld on Wednesday afternoon."

I'm not shocked about the 2/14 thing being off. Feels like they'd give pricing at the same time as the availability date. Plus, I guess at least some of the folks at CES were told that AMD might not launch all 3 CPU's at the same time.

I'm not shocked about the 2/14 thing being off. Feels like they'd give pricing at the same time as the availability date. Plus, I guess at least some of the folks at CES were told that AMD might not launch all 3 CPU's at the same time.
Speculation on Reddit is maybe AMD didn't think this through very well with the 3D cache only being on one CCD. Scheduling nightmare in Windows unless they want to be killed by reviewers with higher-end chips. Probably should have just stuck with 3D cache on one gaming model like before but Raptor Lake happened.

I’ve got that in my other rig (7950X) - don’t notice any benefit. Great for synthetic benchmarks.

EDIT: I will add this - if you have the opportunity to get "free" DDR5 like in the Micro Center promo - I suggest you just nab it. Use it. Enjoy it. Enjoy the savings. If somehow you decide it's not enough for you - it's an easy upgrade in the future. I will tell you - I've bought exotic RAM multiple times in my life. I've never felt anywhere near the pang of satisfaction that I get from a new GPU, CPU, or SSD with RAM. Unless I'm just trying to slay foos on {H} in 3DMark, lol.
That's not a bad idea.

edit just checked the local microcenter (fairfax), they dont seem to be doing the ryzen 7000 cpu/ram bundle anymore. They dont appear to have any zen 4s in stock

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea.

edit just checked the local microcenter (fairfax), they dont seem to be doing the ryzen 7000 cpu/ram bundle anymore. They dont appear to have any zen 4s in stock

According to the website they have all 4 of the AM5 processors in stock: https://www.microcenter.com/search/...4294966995+4294819840+4294805803&myStore=true

Bundle is still live as long as they have both the processor and memory in stock: https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/bundle-and-save.aspx?storeid=081

Looks like they adjusted the RAM speed depending on which processor you choose. When they first started the promo, I think all of those bundles included DDR5-5600. Now the higher end processors get DDR5-6000. Plus, they're taking $20 off the mobo, too. That's a pretty killer deal. If the 3D CPU's aren't all they're cracked up to be, I'll probably take advantage of one of those deals. While not as impressive, the Intel deal isn't half bad, too. I do wish they were Z790 boards (rather than Z690), though.

Hmmm thats cool. They must have updated their website after I posted and before you did, maybe they got a new shipment in. Regardless ill be waiting x3d

Also, one big WTF is up with all of these mobos not having the standard front/rear/sub audio inputs? Some only have SPDIF, others dont have any and its like they expect us to have a soundcard

Hmmm thats cool. They must have updated their website after I posted and before you did, maybe they got a new shipment in. Regardless ill be waiting x3d

Also, one big WTF is up with all of these mobos not having the standard front/rear/sub audio inputs? Some only have SPDIF, others dont have any and its like they expect us to have a soundcard

It seems like a lot of them have the onboard header to support it but they aren't on the back panel. Always buy a header breakout cable to do the same thing. But yeah, finding a board that had the features I wanted was not easy for AM5.

wait what? how does that work. I did a quick google search and nothing relevant came up

6 channel output to my Z-5500s. On my current intel Z170 board, and every mobo I've had before this, it was green (line out), black (rear) and orange (center/sub). For AM5, I rarely see this. Some are SPDIF only, and some don't even have that. Like they expect we have soundcards, or USB speakers/headsets

Looks like they adjusted the RAM speed depending on which processor you choose. When they first started the promo, I think all of those bundles included DDR5-5600. Now the higher end processors get DDR5-6000. Plus, they're taking $20 off the mobo, too. That's a pretty killer deal. If the 3D CPU's aren't all they're cracked up to be, I'll probably take advantage of one of those deals. While not as impressive, the Intel deal isn't half bad, too. I do wish they were Z790 boards (rather than Z690), though.
It was 5600 near launch. All bundles now with two sticks get you 6000.

6 channel output to my Z-5500s. On my current intel Z170 board, and every mobo I've had before this, it was green (line out), black (rear) and orange (center/sub). For AM5, I rarely see this. Some are SPDIF only, and some don't even have that. Like they expect we have soundcards, or USB speakers/headsets

OK, so take the board I bought for example, the Asus ProArt Creator: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/proart/proart-x670e-creator-wifi/techspec/

It's got Realtek S1220A 7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC* with a nice little asterisk because the back panel only has mic in, line in and line out. But it has onboard header supporting 7.1 output and they notate this by saying: ** A chassis with an HD audio module in the front panel is required to support 7.1 Surround Sound audio output. Because they expect you to use the front panel audio connections to support all this. So you either need to have a case with a front panel that supports it and wire it all to the front of the case which IMO is stupid or get a breakout cable that puts it into one of your unused slots in the back of the case.

thats the dumbest fucking thing ive ever heard. How much would this breakout cable cost anyways? I couldnt find any on google/amazon

A. users needing analog surround is VERY uncommon nowadays.
B. Needing surround at all, from a PC, is also uncommon. But if you do----bitstreaming over HDMI to a receiver is the modern ideal.
C. Its increasingly uncommon that people need analog sound from their PC, at all. Bluetooth headphones/headsets. USB headsets. Sound over DP/HDMI to the monitor/soundbar/reciever.
D. Yeah, a lot of people are using USB headsets. People who REALLY care about sound and want to spend money on it, are buying USB DACs and/or soundcards (with a better DAC included). And then some people do sound over HDMI/DP and then use the headphone out from their monitor (if the DAC in the monitor isn't trash).

I have a set of Arctis Pro Wireless headphones and I love them. Still love to blast the speakers though

the slides from ces said feb 23, not sure where people got the 14th from... (bottom of page 3)
Zen 4 3d launch date denied/revoked:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/147...ryzen-x3d-chips-get-february-launch-date.html

"After reports began circulating that showed AMD’s website listing February 14 as the availability date of its highly anticipated Ryzen 7000X3D CPU, the company has had to officially poured cold water on the idea.

As you know, today AMD.com briefly published a launch date for the Ryzen 7000X3D Series Desktop processors; however, that date is incorrect. We have not confirmed a launch date at this time. We will provide updates on the expected availability of these processors at a future date,” a company spokesman said in an email to PCWorld on Wednesday afternoon."

Fucking lame they need to stop giving us blue balls

OK, so take the board I bought for example, the Asus ProArt Creator: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/proart/proart-x670e-creator-wifi/techspec/

It's got Realtek S1220A 7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC* with a nice little asterisk because the back panel only has mic in, line in and line out. But it has onboard header supporting 7.1 output and they notate this by saying: ** A chassis with an HD audio module in the front panel is required to support 7.1 Surround Sound audio output. Because they expect you to use the front panel audio connections to support all this. So you either need to have a case with a front panel that supports it and wire it all to the front of the case which IMO is stupid or get a breakout cable that puts it into one of your unused slots in the back of the case.
Most realtek codecs can have the ports re-mapped (if you don't need the mic and/or line in). I've done this in the past to get my surround speakers working.

I then wanted some other things to be able to use the speakers and just bought a proper receiver with hdmi input and then hooked the surround speakers to that - it was as easy as snipping off the headphone jacks and putting them into the receiver outputs. You then get more tuning options than the built in amp, at least usually.

Problem with spdif is that it's compressed where the analog outputs are not, so if you really want high quality multi channel (non-hdmi) audio you need the analog outputs. HDMI can do uncompressed multi channel PCM audio, but not spdif (limited to 2.1 for uncompressed).

Do they make HDMI to analog audio adaptors?

As someone suggested, what are these breakout cables for analog? I couldn't find any

Do they make HDMI to analog audio adaptors?
Yeah, a receiver ;)

Most monitors have an Headphone out. But if you are looking for surround, its gonna have to be a reciever, for HDMI.

You can also get little boxes which passthrough HDMI and give you a headphone out or left/right RCA. However, they likely will not work with VRR.

Well apparently I am very behind the times. My gaming pc mobo (6th gen z170) has the analog sound outputs but not an SPDIF. So I have nothing to test that my Z-5500 speakers work via SPDIF. My htpc is an asus B450 AM4 mobo and it has neither surround analog nor SPDIF. Just hdmi and a line out (2 speaker).

damn, life comes at you fast

Well apparently I am very behind the times. My gaming pc mobo (6th gen z170) has the analog sound outputs but not an SPDIF. So I have nothing to test that my Z-5500 speakers work via SPDIF. My htpc is an asus B450 AM4 mobo and it has neither surround analog nor SPDIF. Just hdmi and a line out (2 speaker).

damn, life comes at you fast
spec page for your z170 says it supports spdif. so maybe theres a header, like on my msi am4, that i use with an asus spdif bracket

Oh nice. I see that it's only a few bucks on eBay.

Curious, is there a bracket for analog cables?

No the orange, green, black cables I have that go into my z5500. People keep saying that new mobos support them but I need to get a breakout cables for them. Yet no one is giving a link.

No the orange, green, black cables I have that go into my z5500. People keep saying that new mobos support them but I need to get a breakout cables for them. Yet no one is giving a link.
oh the one for the extra speaker? last time i hooked up a kit like that those colors no longer match modern motherboards. i had to look at which did which and match it to what the mobo said its ports were. your board has 6 ports on the i/o doesnt it? ive been looking at the rev 1 page and it does. how many cables does the speakers have?

My z170 yes has 6 audio ports. The am5 mobos I'm looking at either mostly don't, or they have a SPDIF out. My z5500s have spdif in but I have no idea if it works I would like the peace of mind of knowing that if it doesn't work, I can still use the analog surround sound. But I need a special bracket for that apparently and I can't find it.

My z170 yes has 6 audio ports. The am5 mobos I'm looking at either mostly don't, or they have a SPDIF out. My z5500s have spdif in but I have no idea if it works I would like the peace of mind of knowing that if it doesn't work, I can still use the analog surround sound. But I need a special bracket for that apparently and I can't find it.
ah sorry missed the am5 part...
to move the front panel ports to the back like they used to include?
edit: lot of new boards use the front panel ports for the extra speaker outs.

Last edited:
ah sorry missed the am5 part...
to move the front panel ports to the back like they used to include?
edit: lot of new boards use the front panel ports for the extra speaker outs.
Rev. NIght is looking for an PCI adapter which connects to the front panel connection on the Motherboard----and offers some 3.5mm outputs. Instead of running it to the front.

I spent some time looking today and couldn't find any PCI adapters. Found some old style front bay boxes. But....cases don't have front bays anymore.

Yeah exactly. The front of my case doesn't have any audio ports. So I would need a cable that plugs into the mobo audio header and uses an empty bracket slot

I guess I could get a used sound card. I sometimes see them in the [H] classifieds

Back