Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

Welp, the Microcenter online purchase system worked out fine. Got mine a few minutes ago, but I probably won't have time to get things up and running until tonight or tomorrow morning.

For what it's worth, the Denver store sold their entire stock out via the online order system already.

And... using 1080p as benchmarks are one of the huge ways they can get the sheep to continue upgrading. I can see the shilling now... "Your 5800X3D is obsolete... you need to upgrade NOW!!"
Someone explained this very well on reddit, and I'll attempt (and likely not do nearly as good of a job) to explain why 1080P CPU bound benchmarks are a good thing.

It's indicative of 4K performance in 4 to 5 years.

And I believe this because I not only game at 4K, but went from an i9 10940X with 3600MHz C16 RAM to a 5800X3D with the same RAM and same GPU and saw MASSIVE gains in my FPS lows (and to a slightly lesser extent, averages). That was with a 3090. Now that I have a 4090, I'm seeing some cracks in the absolutely amazing 5800X3D - granted, only in one game so far (Star Citizen, yes it's an alpha, but it (for now) easily shows CPU bound situations in cities like Area 18 at 4K).

Well upgrading from a 5800x3d for the performance in 4-5 years seem a terrible idea, no ? A cheap not last gen core-i3 in 4-5 years will likely match if not beat any current cpu. Upgrade obviously require to be worth it day 1 (versus buying new because you do not have something that work right now), otherwise may has well buy into AM5 with a revision that will have better DDR-5 support, the ram being better and PCI-E 5.0 drive actually in the wild and so on.

It is interesting for someone with a 6700 or a Ryzen 2600 that want to upgrade and does not upgrade frequently, someone that his the kind to consider upgrading every gen, like someone with a 5800x3d looking at the 7xxx, not so much...

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't upgrade from a 5800X3D even if I was going for a long haul upgrade. At least unless you're planning on selling or gifting your entire current system to someone.
The 5800X3D's performance is extremely competitive and doesn't require a totally new platform. The 7XXX3D cards might be better in 4-5 years...but whatever the CPU's that come out next year or the year after will be even better. By the time the difference between the 5 and 7 CPU's really makes a difference (if it ever does), there should be plenty of other parts that kick the crap out of them both.

Welp, the Microcenter online purchase system worked out fine. Got mine a few minutes ago, but I probably won't have time to get things up and running until tonight or tomorrow morning.

For what it's worth, the Denver store sold their entire stock out via the online order system already.

For some reason the Denver store also no longer has the 7900X combos available to reserve online but they have plenty of stock of every piece of the combo.

For some reason the Denver store also no longer has the 7900X combos available to reserve online but they have plenty of stock of every piece of the combo.

I didn't even look at what they had on the shelf, but that doesn't surprise me. Last month their website said they didn't have a single 4090 in stock, but they had dozens actually on shelves.

Well upgrading from a 5800x3d for the performance in 4-5 years seem a terrible idea, no ? A cheap not last gen core-i3 in 4-5 years will likely match if not beat any current cpu. Upgrade obviously require to be worth it day 1 (versus buying new because you do not have something that work right now), otherwise may has well buy into AM5 with a revision that will have better DDR-5 support, the ram being better and PCI-E 5.0 drive actually in the wild and so on.

It is interesting for someone with a 6700 or a Ryzen 2600 that want to upgrade and does not upgrade frequently, someone that his the kind to consider upgrading every gen, like someone with a 5800x3d looking at the 7xxx, not so much...
I'm not sure I'm following you.

You're saying that folks would upgrade to a 5800X3D in 4 to 5 years? Because that's not what I was trying to explain. I was attempting to explain the logic behind using 1080P CPU bound gaming tests as an indicator of how well that same CPU will do with new games/GPUs in 4 to 5 years at 4K relative to the other CPUs tested at 1080P.

I'm not sure I'm following you. You're saying that folks would upgrade to a 5800X3D in 4 to 5 years?

Not I am saying upgrading from a 5800x3d to a 7950x3d for future performance in 4-5 years does not seem like a good idea, has a very cheap cpu in 4-5 years will probably do a much better jobs. A 12100F match/beat a 3900x in games let alone the big monster cpu of 2017.

Someone that has a 5800x3d (outside having has an hobby upgrading and building by itself, obviously upgrading can become always worth it if you like it, specially if you are good at selling used stuff) should not worry I think about 4-5 years 2 GPU gen away performance of the CPUs to consider upgrading it or not, the upgrade need to bring tangible difference today or why do it ?

Looks like the 7800x3D will be where I jump unless for some reason it gets bad reviews.

Not I am saying upgrading from a 5800x3d to a 7950x3d for future performance in 4-5 years does not seem like a good idea, has a very cheap cpu in 4-5 years will probably do a much better jobs. A 12100F match/beat a 3900x in games let alone the big monster cpu of 2017.

Someone that has a 5800x3d (outside having has an hobby upgrading and building by itself, obviously upgrading can become always worth it if you like it, specially if you are good at selling used stuff) should not worry I think about 4-5 years 2 GPU gen away performance of the CPUs to consider upgrading it or not, the upgrade need to bring tangible difference today or why do it ?
Ah, I think I see the disconnect.

The point of testing a CPU with 1080P CPU bound games is just an indicator of 4K performance compared to the other CPUs tested in four to five years. That's it. It's for people to gauge how performance will be relative to the other CPUs (better, or worse). Sorry if I'm not the best at explaining concepts - it makes sense to me in my own head.

Sorry if I'm not the best at explaining concepts - it makes sense to me in my own head.
Yes it fully make sense, it was more the poster already know that, was complaining about people using those to for example push people with a 5800x3d to upgrade, not someone that does not upgrade often has an old cpu and want to decide what he want to buy, a cpu that you buy now need to make a significant change now but you can still look at what it will do for you in the future.

Same. I'm thinking a 4090 and a 7800X3D will be my next jump in five years or so.
Being that I can't really afford both a new GPU and a new CPU/Motherboard/ram/case, I will go for the later and stick with my old 2080Ti for a while. My [email protected]'s life has just about run it's course. I'm sure the 2080Ti will perform much better with a 7800x3D setup.

Hopefully a reasonably priced 4xxx series card will come out that beats its performance (yeah, I know, I can dream).

Ah, I think I see the disconnect.

The point of testing a CPU with 1080P CPU bound games is just an indicator of 4K performance compared to the other CPUs tested in four to five years. That's it. It's for people to gauge how performance will be relative to the other CPUs (better, or worse). Sorry if I'm not the best at explaining concepts - it makes sense to me in my own head.
Um no. You are CPU benchmarking at 1080 because you want to remove any GPU limitations during the bench. This is how you get a relative CPU fps to compare with.

Um no. You are CPU benchmarking at 1080 because you want to remove any GPU limitations during the bench. This is how you get a relative CPU fps to compare with.
And that data correlates to future 4K performance with that CPU relative to the other CPUs tested with new GPUs and new games.

Someone explained this very well on reddit, and I'll attempt (and likely not do nearly as good of a job) to explain why 1080P CPU bound benchmarks are a good thing.

And I believe this because I not only game at 4K, but went from an i9 10940X with 3600MHz C16 RAM to a 5800X3D with the same RAM and same GPU and saw MASSIVE gains in my FPS lows (and to a slightly lesser extent, averages). That was with a 3090. Now that I have a 4090, I'm seeing some cracks in the absolutely amazing 5800X3D - granted, only in one game so far (Star Citizen, yes it's an alpha, but it (for now) easily shows CPU bound situations in cities like Area 18 at 4K).
Do you have any other good examples of where the x3d chips shine? I see it in MMOs, others have mentioned flight sims. I'm looking to run some benchmarks in some (hopefully free) games soon to show how much cache can impact performance. I'm also interested in how much of a trade-off in core clock it's worth (ie. would a 768mb L3 cache Epyc running at 4GHz give you smoother performance than a 144mb 7950x3D running at 5GHz+ ?). For me, it's the massive improvement in FPS lows and such that make a difference. Going from 250fps to 270fps is basically meaningless, but improving frame times or going from 40FPS lows to 60FPS lows is meaningful improvement. So it seems that if you could sacrifice some top-end performance for better low-end performance that it could be worth investigating.

And that data correlates to future 4K performance with that CPU relative to the other CPUs tested with new GPUs and new games.
Jeez you guys. There is an entire flaming thread about this in the news section, from a couple weeks ago:
https://hardforum.com/threads/how-w...e-gpu-limited-when-doing-cpu-testing.2025362/

Do you have any other good examples of where the x3d chips shine? I see it in MMOs, others have mentioned flight sims. I'm looking to run some benchmarks in some (hopefully free) games soon to show how much cache can impact performance. I'm also interested in how much of a trade-off in core clock it's worth (ie. would a 768mb L3 cache Epyc running at 4GHz give you smoother performance than a 144mb 7950x3D running at 5GHz+ ?). For me, it's the massive improvement in FPS lows and such that make a difference. Going from 250fps to 270fps is basically meaningless, but improving frame times or going from 40FPS lows to 60FPS lows is meaningful improvement. So it seems that if you could sacrifice some top-end performance for better low-end performance that it could be worth investigating.
Returnal likes the cache. CoD and Valorant. Racing sims seem to like it. MS Flight sim gets a decent boost from it.

Sorry, I don't play a ton of games and test them vs other hardware. I'd suggest checking with review sites like this - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/rtx-4090-53-games-ryzen-7-5800x-vs-ryzen-7-5800x3d/2.html

Well I waited for these to launch before making a decision and they're nice but not nice enough to pay an extra $500+ and wait at least a month more for 7800x3d so I grabbed the latest deal on the 5800x3d. By the time the advantages are meaningful for the 7800x3d I'd probably be better off putting that extra $500 to an even newer system.

But why? Is anyone actually trying to get this with no reviews and likely worse performance than the 7800x3d in all the main reasons to get a 3d cache cpu?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

It's the same old $hit. Does anyone actually read the reviews? These CPU's, the 7950x3D at least, have sold out across the country already the first day. Are there really that many people that wanted this thing or do you think there's scalping going on? Who knows? I guess I better be ready for when the 7800x3D comes out. I will be on line at my local MC to grab one because I foresee it going out of stock. I am sure AMD throttles their inventory little by little to keep the demand up and prices high.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I waited for these to launch before making a decision and they're nice but not nice enough to pay an extra $500+ and wait at least a month more for 7800x3d so I grabbed the latest deal on the 5800x3d. By the time the advantages are meaningful for the 7800x3d I'd probably be better off putting that extra $500 to an even newer system.

But why? Is anyone actually trying to get this with no reviews and likely worse performance than the 7800x3d in all the main reasons to get a 3d cache cpu?
The 7600x is only a little worse in gaming, than the 7700x. The 7900x3D will be a fine gaming CPU ;) And you still get that mid/high multicore productivity performance.

I'm rocking my new 7950X3D system this morning and so far so good. No hiccups, program errors, etc. so far. I still need to install some games that'll really push things (and I probably need to tinker with my fans and performance settings), but it has been pretty painless so far...minus some busted pins on my mobo's USB plug, which aren't the processor's fault.
If I have some time tonight, I'll have to see what this thing can do.

The 7600x is only a little worse in gaming, than the 7700x. The 7900x3D will be a fine gaming CPU ;) And you still get that mid/high multicore productivity performance.
I'm sure it will be similar in game performance much of the time but there are games that prefer more than 6 cores so for gaming there will be some situations where it will be worse while costing more money, it just doesn't seem worth it.

I'm sure it will be similar in game performance much of the time but there are games that prefer more than 6 cores so for gaming there will be some situations where it will be worse while costing more money, it just doesn't seem worth it.
There actually 12 cores on this CPU ;)

For games which like more cores, the v-cache will still be there. It looks already, as if a couple of games run on the regular CCX, but still reach over to the v-cache. I don't think the 7900x3D will be seeing any meaningful handicap. I'm willing to bet AMD didn't sample it for review----because its more/less as good in gaming as the 7950x3D. But they want people to see that in reviews and buy it, instead.

There actually 12 cores on this CPU ;)

For games which like more cores, the v-cache will still be there. It looks already, as if a couple of games run on the regular CCX, but still reach over to the v-cache. I don't think the 7900x3D will be seeing any meaningful handicap. I'm willing to bet AMD didn't sample it for review----because its more/less as good in gaming as the 7950x3D. But they want people to see that in reviews and buy it, instead.
And half of the cores will be parked for gaming like the 7950x3d...

And half of the cores will be parked for gaming like the 7950x3d...
No reason they can't use all of the cores, for games which like them.

Unfortunately, TPU didn't benchmark Civilization, with the 7950x3D. But, if we look at previous testing, the 5800x3D only benefits over the 5800x, a teensy bit. The 7900x has a healthy performance advantage over the 7700x (which normally beats the 7900x). I don't think things will be too dire, for the 7900x3D.
civilization-vi-1920-1080.png

No reason they can't use all of the cores, for games which like them.

Unfortunately, TPU didn't benchmark Civilization, with the 7950x3D. But, if we look at previous testing, the 5800x3D only benefits over the 5800x, a teensy bit. The 7900x has a healthy performance advantage over the 7700x (which normally beats the 7900x). I don't think things will be too dire, for the 7900x3D.
View attachment 553103
Reviewers were seeing weird and often bad results when they turned off the core parking in games, there's some issues there that need to be resolved if they even can.

I never said that it would be bad, just worse in some situations for gaming while being more expensive. I tend to agree with one of the reviewers that said when no reviewers get sampled a certain product in a line it either means that it looks bad or will make the product they're trying to sell more look bad and their assesment was that in this case it looks like 7900x3d will look bad and the 7800x3d will make the 7950x3d look bad(in terms of value) which is why they're not even selling it for another month.

Like I said I don't think it's a bad cpu and it's hard to say exactly how good or bad it is without reviews but I think it fits in awkwardly with the rest of the lineup. For gaming the 7800x3d will almost certainly be the cpu to get, for most productivity the non-3d cpus will be a better value(which is where a 12 core fits in as reasonable middle ground), and for no compromise gaming/productivity the 7950x3d will be the one to get.

I'm also not sure why you're using an outlier result that likes more cores and doesn't benfit much from 3d cache when it seems more common for games to like 3d cache and more than 6 cores but maybe that's just because I don't really pay attention to turn based game results.

I'm also not sure why you're using an outlier result that likes more cores and doesn't benfit much from 3d cache when it seems more common for games to like 3d cache and more than 6 cores but maybe that's just because I don't really pay attention to turn based game results.
Off the top of my head, I am otherwise struggling to think of another game used by reviewers, which is meaningfully better on a 7700x, compared to a 7600x, etc. The separation between the two is often a handful of frames, at most. *This suggests to me that a 6 core Ryzen with V-cache, wouldn't be a lot worse than an 8 core with v-cache.

Any reviews that have done a deep dive on 1% minimum, etc? Or any early adopters that can comment on personal experiences thus far?

Off the top of my head, I am otherwise struggling to think of another game used by reviewers, which is meaningfully better on a 7700x, compared to a 7600x, etc. The separation between the two is often a handful of frames, at most. *This suggests to me that a 6 core Ryzen with V-cache, wouldn't be a lot worse than an 8 core with v-cache.
Agreed. If AMD had offered a 5600X3D, I would have grabbed that over the 5800X3D in a heartbeat. I wasn't after cores. I was after the cache.

I was waiting for Z43D due to the anticipated performance, power usage, and lower temperature and it manage to knock it out of the park for all 3. But then I realize it actually took a step back for non gaming applications so I'll probably get a normal 7900 non X version mb/ram combo at microcenter at 65 watts since I don't game enough to pair my processor with a 4090 monster anyway.

The GN review showed the 7900x3d lagging in some games due to only having 6 cores with 3d cache and they came to the same conclusion that I did, it's in an awkward position and doesn't really make sense vs the other options.
Agreed. If AMD had offered a 5600X3D, I would have grabbed that over the 5800X3D in a heartbeat. I wasn't after cores. I was after the cache.
A 7600x3d would have been a good budget option but they probably didn't want to undercut the 7800x3d. Personally I think 8 cores is the sweet spot right now for gaming but as a budget part it would have at least made sense.

Back