Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

Just picked up the Micro Center $599 7900X / 32GB DDR5-6000 / ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F combo - even got Jedi Survivor free.
Totally nuts - my launch mobo was (and is) the same price (670E Gene).

There’s zero reason to wait with deals like that. Especially with the 7800X3D delayed.

Just picked up the Micro Center $599 7900X / 32GB DDR5-6000 / ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F combo - even got Jedi Survivor free.

There’s zero reason to wait with deals like that. Especially with the 7800X3D delayed.
What AIO are you going with to cool that 7900X?

I grabbed the same deal. Now I am debating if I should sell the CPU (at quite a bit lower price than what it is selling for right now) in order to grab the 7800x3d in April. I am using 7900xtx and run games at 3440x1440

I grabbed the same deal. Now I am debating if I should sell the CPU (at quite a bit lower price than what it is selling for right now) in order to grab the 7800x3d in April. I am using 7900xtx and run games at 3440x1440
Just hang onto it and enjoy it. Used versus new won’t be that huge of a diff and you never know how reviews will turn out.

6700xt is a tier or so below that. Looks like I'm good with my 7700x until I upgrade the gpu.

Thanks microcenter

Built it. Was pretty smooth. The only issue is the B650-F network drivers are not with the latest Windows 11 build (just download it to USB today). Adding the drivers with pnputil did not work either (tried both Intel Ethernet and also the Mediatek Wi-Fi). Rebooted it and the next try ASUS Armoury Crate showed up and saved the day. I guess I just had to wait a bit or something? Or maybe the fresh Windows USB drive helped? (I was using one from a couple of months ago, previously). It is crazy to me that Windows 11 won't even continue unless you have networking...

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (reference)
ASUS B650E-F ROG STRIX GAMING WIFI AMD AM5 ATX Motherboard
32GB (2 x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 Series DDR5-6000 CL36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5
NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO (Performance mode for pump)
Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut thermal paste
2x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD
Corsair AX1600i Digital ATX Power Supply
NZXT H510 Case

https://valid.x86.fr/glxy4u

Sold my 5800X3D and Dark Hero mobo for $475 to a dude on here and I still have my 32GB DDR4-3800 CL14 G.Skill B-Die kit to sell or keep.

7900x_7900xtx_reference.png

GPU is absolutely icy...got a real winner AMD reference 7900 XTX! As you can see from my AX1600i maxed out at 602W in gaming workloads.

gpu_ax1600i_temps.png

Should end up being a pretty even swap to go from 5800X3D to 7900X and a modern platform with AM5. Pretty cool! Depending on reviews I may jump to the new X3D but at this point probably 7800X3D since I am primarily a gamer.

EDIT: build pic - this is my “Millenium Falcon” build (may not look like much but she’s got it where it counts) - it was a gutted pre-built from the mining days. Fully rehab’d. :)

9D7A8586-A4E4-4F37-B830-EEE68B1681A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Good to know about the network drivers for the B650E-F. I'll make sure I snag copies of those before starting...unless the Wi-Fi works fine and I can download 'em with that?

A. You can disable the out of box experience and make a local account, without networking.

B. Some boards have the network drivers embedded. But, many do not. Slip them into Windows at the screen where you setup your partitions----like the good old days ;)

A. You can disable the out of box experience and make a local account, without networking.

B. Some boards have the network drivers embedded. But, many do not. Slip them into Windows at the screen where you setup your partitions----like the good old days ;)
A - would love to see how to do it!
B - Yes, I outlined that I tried that to no avail.

Good to know about the network drivers for the B650E-F. I'll make sure I snag copies of those before starting...unless the Wi-Fi works fine and I can download 'em with that?
Both Wi-Fi and Ethernet did not work via standard methods - had to use Armory Crate.

A - would love to see how to do it!
B - Yes, I outlined that I tried that to no avail.

Both Wi-Fi and Ethernet did not work via standard methods - had to use Armory Crate.
Maybe you overcomplicated it?----why use pnp utility, when you can simply browse for the drivers, at the screen where you choose a partition to install windows.

Built it. Was pretty smooth. The only issue is the B650-F network drivers are not with the latest Windows 11 build (just download it to USB today). Adding the drivers with pnputil did not work either (tried both Intel Ethernet and also the Mediatek Wi-Fi). Rebooted it and the next try ASUS Armoury Crate showed up and saved the day. I guess I just had to wait a bit or something? Or maybe the fresh Windows USB drive helped? (I was using one from a couple of months ago, previously). It is crazy to me that Windows 11 won't even continue unless you have networking...

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (reference)
ASUS B650E-F ROG STRIX GAMING WIFI AMD AM5 ATX Motherboard
32GB (2 x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 Series DDR5-6000 CL36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5
NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO (Performance mode for pump)
Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut thermal paste
2x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD
Corsair AX1600i Digital ATX Power Supply
NZXT H510 Case

Sold my 5800X3D and Dark Hero mobo for $475 to a dude on here and I still have my 32GB DDR4-3800 CL14 G.Skill B-Die kit to sell or keep.

View attachment 547139

GPU is absolutely icy...got a real winner AMD reference 7900 XTX! As you can see from my AX1600i maxed out at 602W in gaming workloads.

View attachment 547140

Should end up being a pretty even swap to go from 5800X3D to 7900X and a modern platform with AM5. Pretty cool! Depending on reviews I may jump to the new X3D but at this point probably 7800X3D since I am primarily a gamer.

EDIT: build pic - this is my “Millenium Falcon” build (may not look like much but she’s got it where it counts) - it was a gutted pre-built from the mining days. Fully rehab’d. :)

View attachment 547211
That light would drive me insane. I'd think my CPU was glowing red. XD

So, I've never had everything ready to rock and roll before a new CPU rolls out. How long do most OEM's (in particular, Asus) take to roll out BIOS support for the new CPU's? I'm halfway tempted to roll into Microcenter at the crack of dawn, but I won't bother if my board won't work with one for a week or two.

I just moved from a 3600 to a 5800X3D.

World of Warcraft is my current go to, and with the CPU paired along with a 3070, I see no need to go to AM5. I'm at 200+ FPS in midraid with a 1440@144 and maxed settings. This is insane.

I agree with you. If you are happy with your 5800x3d, you may as well sit out most of AM5. Shit I sat out all of AM4 and I was just fine. It's going to be a long while before that CPU is the limiting factor at high refresh 1440

I agree with you. If you are happy with your 5800x3d, you may as well sit out most of AM5. Shit I sat out all of AM4 and I was just fine. It's going to be a long while before that CPU is the limiting factor at high refresh 1440
As of now, there's no reason for me to move to AM5. I swing between Warcraft and Path of Exile. Those are the two games I know through and through. Now and then I'll try to pick something up, but it doesn't stick. I'm always set a generation behind and its been fine.

When can we expect the first round of reviews/leaks? Release day?

I'm hoping for sooner than that, but I have a feeling it'll be release day morning again. That's how the last set of launches were. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that these things are legitimately available after the review embargo ends.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you still game exclusively at 1080P? Because the X3D parts are only likely to improve that aspect of gaming. Any game at 1440P or 4K is going to receive almost no or absolutely no benefit at all. Half your cores will be slower than the others if you have a 7900X3D or above... However, I suppose you can overclock the Cached chiplet now if the releases are accurate, but... I just don't understand all the excitement for a part that only accelerates SOME games and will end up drawing just as much power as Intel 13th gen if you overclock it.

Far Cry 5 and Borderlands 3 would like a word

View attachment 549255

View attachment 549256
Yes, the 5800X3D is 28% faster in SOME games. I will admit that's impressive at 1440P though. So, there is something more to it then.

I guess it's a use case limited thing. If you game at 4K, you ignore the chips. If you game at 1080P, it's super relevant (in most but not all games) and at 1440P it's significant for a few games.

Personally, if it doesn't run em all good, I don't want it. Don't want to be looking at a list of benchmarks all the time to see what does and doesn't run well on the processor.

No arguments on the two examples you presented though. ;)

There is not a single benchmark where the x3d chip runs worse than its non-x3d counterpart. Why would you not want 0-28% increase across the board if you are fine with the increased cost?

There is not a single benchmark where the x3d chip runs worse than its non-x3d counterpart. Why would you not want 0-28% increase across the board if you are fine with the increased cost?
That cannot be 100% true. The X3D chips suffer in single thread performance and it's a significant drop. There are a number of game benchmarks that my 5900X pulled a couple FPS ahead in. The difference between the 5900X and the X3D was negligible at best unless you were at 1080P.
not to mention the improvements to the % lows...
I cannot argue this fact.

Anyway, what I'm hoping for is that AMD dials this in and provides some real competition to Intel. Like they own them in a number of titles at all resolutions. So, Intel is forced to innovate again. Hope that trend of innovation never ends. Don't want to be getting the same old chips with a 1-5% increase in performance for 10 years...

That cannot be 100% true. The X3D chips suffer in single thread performance and it's a significant drop. There are a number of game benchmarks that my 5900X pulled a couple FPS ahead in. The difference between the 5900X and the X3D was negligible at best unless you were at 1080P.

Valhalla (sometimes) and Dirt appear to be the only exceptions, here at least.

1080p.png

1440p.png

4K.png

Last edited:
The MSFS 2020 boost from the extra cache was quite impressive as well as DX11 title uplifts and that's what I'm waiting to see in the upcoming benchmarks. Most "modern" game titles are of little interest to me as they just appear to be rehashes of previous titles that I passed on already.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you still game exclusively at 1080P? Because the X3D parts are only likely to improve that aspect of gaming. Any game at 1440P or 4K is going to receive almost no or absolutely no benefit at all. Half your cores will be slower than the others if you have a 7900X3D or above... However, I suppose you can overclock the Cached chiplet now if the releases are accurate, but... I just don't understand all the excitement for a part that only accelerates SOME games and will end up drawing just as much power as Intel 13th gen if you overclock it.
Disagree, I think there can be some improvements in 1% lows, perceived microstutter, etc.

Reactions: noko
like this
Disagree, I think there can be some improvements in 1% lows, perceived microstutter, etc.
I already conceded that point in a follow up response. There are a number of improvements in a number of games. But not all games. The 3D stacked cache is not universal for everything.

Personally, I think it's simply an improved experience even if its minor. I value overall smoothness with minimal peaks and valleys.
In 9-10 months however much more I spent on the X3D chip will be long forgotten, but a more consistent experience won't be. I find that I never regret going for the extra bells and whistles over the long haul. I do often regret for going for the cheaper but nearly as good option.

Gaming at 4K with a 5950X is why I have only briefly pondered the idea... but now that I have a RTX 4090 and I'm pushing high frames at 4K, I'd be curious to see 5800X3D benchmarks at 4K on a RTX 4090...

Back