Who else is in awe at how good HL2 truely is?

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
Obviously many cant play it, and this is obviously bad. Please keep your frustration out of this thread however.

I hoenstly cant believe it. the atmosphere, the graphics, the sound, the story, its all amazing so far. I really wasnt sure HL gameplay would transition well, but BOY was i wrong. Im 7 hours in and this is the best game i have played in years.

So far I really like it, the music is great also. Right now I am just entering the caves, it seems like I have been running out of ammo alot.
The graphics are great even though I can only run it on 800x600 with out it being all chopy

I also like it a lot. I was impressed with the music. I definitely wasn't expecting decent music.

Cali3350 said:
yep. thanks for honoring my request. Really, great of you.
:rolleyes:
You have to remember how many kids, or at least people with the intelligence of a child, post on this forum.

HL-2 Surpased my HIGH expectations. Bar none it is the best game I have ever played.

The cd's have pretty graphics on them and the bottom is really shiney. Also the box is small and space saving. The error the installer gave me saying that one of the cab files on the cd is corrupt or missing is great too, the text is so sharp. :)!

I, I just got my crowbar :D
I screamed YES!
I almost got all misty eyed when You know who gave it to me. :)
This is what pc gaming is all about.

I was beginning to think it might dissappointment.

Then I got it...and played it..and drooled.

My friends think I have lost my mind, a 'friend' in interest dosnt want to start dating me due to my 'stupid game obsession', and I now have to go 2 weeks with .09 in my checking account..All due to HL2...

But I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I am in awe and throw props to everyone at Valve who produced it..Eh Vivendi gets a bit of credit also. They all knew what they were doing, and I hope they know how aweosme of a game they made.

Cyclone187 said:
The cd's have pretty graphics on them and the bottom is really shiney. Also the box is small and space saving. The error the installer gave me saying that one of the cab files on the cd is corrupt or missing is great too, the text is so sharp. :)!

That's what I noticed! I looked into the the the shiney part of the cd and I saw my OWN FACE! the lip-syncing was awesome. I dont' know HOW valve did that!

come on cali..granted I'm FINALLY about to get into the game here in..oh...15 minutes because it's doing whatever it's doing now even though I bought a cd, You REALLY picked a BAD time to ask people's opinions.

Heck I wanted to choke you and you did nothing wrong ;)

i agree. this is the best game ive played in years, i absolutly love it! been through about five hours of it and its just awesome.

From what I have seen so far the game is looking good. Decent suspenseful story unfolding and all. I do have a serious gripe though. What the hel is with all of the load times every 5 minutes of play? The occasional level load wasnt so bad in games like Farcry and D3 but this is ridiculous. Always seems to happen when things get moving again. Running up a set of stairs when a little box pops up that read "loading".

Pretty good so far. I don't find myself getting glued to it though. Does look nice and seems pretty fun so far, I don't feel a really big level of suspense and kind of just progress through it, but it still seems pretty good so far, environments look pretty good, models are nice etc. I don't feel it is the greatest game ever, or lived up to the hype at this point(still early to tell) but so far it isn't a letdown like i figured it would be. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is the best, but definitely a good game. I'm going to get back to playing it in a moment.

HL2 rocks. This game was everything that I hoped it would be so far. D3 was a big let down for me. The fantasy, along with the repeat room with bad guys in it sucked.

I love the realistic and open game play of HL2 so much better. The sound rocks too.

Nismo said:
HL2 rocks. This game was everything that I hoped it would be so far. D3 was a big let down for me. The fantasy, along with the repeat room with bad guys in it sucked.

I love the realistic and open game play of HL2 so much better. The sound rocks too.

Quoted to save me from typing it myself.

I've only played for a few hours but I've constantly found myself on the edge of my seat. Can't wait to get deeper in.

And btw am I the only one who scared to death of barnicles? I'm serous those things scare the shit out of me.

I'm in a utter state of shock, honeslty. I dreamed that HL2 would be a good game, hopefully better than, IMO, the dissapointing Doom 3. But I never thought that it would not only be totally F$*%#@ Awsome, but also blow doom right out of the water.

Its really lived up to expectations, and then some. :D

I'm not a fan of the story at all, mainly because there is no story. All you ever do is run away for no reason. People are breaking in, you gotta run. The best way to hide lack of content is to constantly have action. And that's all the first few hours so far is. People are always shooting at you, you're always running. Or driving. Very boring indeed.

My jaw dropped when I first saw Barney's face. I wasn't expecting such in-game facial detail! :eek:

I remember being able to sneak through all of HL1. Can only do that sometimes in HL2, so it really gets the ol' ticker going! :D

the graphics are madd good not over taken by darkness like in doom 3; i just got a crowbar :)

Maximus825 said:
I'm not a fan of the story at all, mainly because there is no story. All you ever do is run away for no reason. People are breaking in, you gotta run. The best way to hide lack of content is to constantly have action. And that's all the first few hours so far is. People are always shooting at you, you're always running. Or driving. Very boring indeed.

I semi agree with you on this, but I feel that it's building. Right now I have inscentive to play further, I really do want to get the f' away from those combines and find some saftey with Vance. I hope they just don't blow it over when I get there.

And my hatred for headcrabs has grown tenfold... I hate you whatever your name is headcrab.

And anyone have Dr. Breens monolouge from inside City 17? I would really like to hear that in full without being beaten with a nightstick.

Cali3350 said:
Obviously many cant play it, and this is obviously bad. Please keep your frustration out of this thread however.

I hoenstly cant believe it. the atmosphere, the graphics, the sound, the story, its all amazing so far. I really wasnt sure HL gameplay would transition well, but BOY was i wrong. Im 7 hours in and this is the best game i have played in years.

me me me

its crisp, it's realistic

its awesome

Bloefield said:
I, I just got my crowbar :D
I screamed YES!
I almost got all misty eyed when You know who gave it to me. :)
This is what pc gaming is all about.

it defininetly brings back those fond memories of late night HL1 playing when it came out

I'm loving it alot. Alot alot alot.

It makes my X800 XT PE seem all the more worth it. The graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay is definitely building. I am also really impressed by the physics.

Oh man... I've played for like 4 hrs today. It is ... everything I could have expected. =)

The part where u see the first head crab in the game. (you guys who've played it kno what i'm talking about)... hilarious.

I found myself looking around in the open areas just to see the renderings. Great textures even on my old GF4 Ti4600. Great sound as well. Overall one of the best ever.

I've played through the first three levels twice already. It is by far and way the best gaming experience ever. Valve has raised the bar once again, you almost feel like you are playing the lead role in movie, living in the most horrific place imaginable. The atmosphere is bar none the most incredible ever, between the constant survalance and sounds all around you, it is truly an immersive experience. It almost feels like you are in the pit of hell at all times, surrounded by and army of ruthless Nazi's that are always chasing you... I played through Doom 3 and thought that was scary, but it is nothing compared to the first time you step in to City 17 and see what awaits you.

This game is the pinnacle of gaming, we have come very far from the original HL. Valve is the best gaming company ever, yes id makes nice engines but the creative abilities of the Valve team are far superior. They surpassed HL1 in leaps and bounds and HL2 will not be surpassed until HL3 comes out.(just like it took 6 years to dethrone HL1) Amazing detail, amazing graphics, amazing sounds and a 2 hour lead in that only serves to bring it to a fever pitch.

I've been testing it out IQ on a few different rigs. I think the engine does a good job of keeping decent gameplay w/good detail even on lower systems. I really love the game thus far, but I'm really curious to see what others will do with Source. Hopefully this could lead to more decent games shortly.

I was like........should I shoot it??? How??? :D

UnlimitedMP said:
Oh man... I've played for like 4 hrs today. It is ... everything I could have expected. =)

The part where u see the first head crab in the game. (you guys who've played it kno what i'm talking about)... hilarious.

i guess i am one of the few (perhaps because i have played the first half life for only a split second), but i dont quite understand what seperates this game from any other fps. The game seems fluid and things seem quality (physics) but i haven't been able to get to excited about the game so far. Has anyone noticed that the first few hours are a bit "......"?

maybe i am just bittered by the fact that my first retail copy had a gouge in the first disc so i had to drive 20 minutes (20) back to the store and get another. Then the whole steam deal. Oh well.
It was frustrating and i felt like delivering several shotgun blasts to the chests and heads of the creators of such madness, but it eventually said that it would let me play while it tryed to authenticate. So, i dunno.

Its about 10x better than i thought. Its funny how people actually thought doom3 was going to be better HAHA!

The only thing i noticed is....wheres the Hl2 multiplayer? with the vehicles and all that fun stuff

Is the sense of realism it conveys, in the future. However, I will never play any WWII related titles. :)

Seraphim974 said:
i guess i am one of the few (perhaps because i have played the first half life for only a split second), but i dont quite understand what seperates this game from any other fps. The game seems fluid and things seem quality (physics) but i haven't been able to get to excited about the game so far. Has anyone noticed that the first few hours are a bit "......"?

Bumrush said:
I played through Doom 3 and thought that was scary, but it is nothing compared to the first time you step in to City 17 and see what awaits you.

Heh, that is funny because I feel the exact opposite. The game doesn't scare me at all, doesn't really even make me nervous, it just puts me in a little bit of a defensive mode. Kind of just run and gun kind of thing only through a pretty nice environment. I kind of like the ability to use a little bit of strategy while playing though, that is cool. I also agree that the music is pretty good. Still pretty fun though, but I'm not blown away by any means, just somewhat pleasantly suprised. I like it.

The game's great fun when it's not loading!

On a side note, Ravenholm gave me more chills than Doom 3 ever did.

Back