Who Else Is Holding Out?

TangledThorns

Limp Gawd
I'm still using my AGP 6800GT from 2004 as I hadn't been impressed with the Geforce8 cards at all. I'm not seeing a jump like I did with the Geforce5 to 6 series. Even the newer cards are very ho-hum for the money. Anybody else holding out till they see an excellent card from ATI or Nvidia released?

The 8800 GTX is probably the best video card released in the last 5 years.

The 6800 GT can run the Source Engine at low resolution, but come on.:eek:

You will not be able to use AGP anymore.....in fact even PCI-e has a new revision.
If you are so inclined, buy an 8800 GTX, right now the prices are falling like rocks. But you'll need a PCI-e board.......you also might want to invest in at least dual core CPU.

Yes, nvidia just released some new cards last week......the GX2 is a good deal if you dont SLi, I'd like to see some reviews on the 9800 GTX.....early reports dont show it to best the 8800 GTX by much if anything.

Im holding steady on a 7950 GX2 ;) But I didn't pay for it so yea... heheh

I'm not even going to bother with the 9 series unless there is an uber 9900 thrown out there. The 98xx Can suck on lefty for all I fucking care. >_<

Umm, not sure what you wouldn't be impressed with an 8800. It is by far the most impressive graphics card release I've seen in a long time. Absolutely slaughtered the 7900 series in terms of performance, and the 7900 was no slouch. On top of the performance gains it had really nice image quality gains. The AnIso filtering is just top notch.

Not sure what isn't to like about them. The 9000 series, ya that's not so impressive. However that may in part be because the 8800 was such a grand slam. Takes awhile to make real improvement over something that good I imagine.

The five series was REALY BAD. That is why the six was such a big jump. You are missing out on the best series ever not having an 8800 of some kind.

i couldnt.
the new ATI line up(there is a specs link in the ATI forum) looks impressive.
low power consumption, plus huge teraflop performance.

the 9 series seems to be a bit lack luster now.
8800 prices being what they are, its cheap and will run good.

Hmm the jump from 7600gt to 2900 pro was day and night diffrence and from my perspective much bigger than radeon 9700 to 7600 i did before. So if you go to 8800 you should be really amazed.

And by amazed I mean that going from 7600gt+ [email protected]+1 gig of ram to [email protected]+4gigs was close to tripling the 3dmarks scores ang going from Witcher strugling with 1280x1024 with everything low to smooth 25+fps all the time 1920x1200 everything high and 8xAF.

I'm still using my trusty X800XL AGP. Max settings on CSS :)

I went from X800XL PCI-E to 8800GTSG92 and the difference is pretty much astounding. I haven't even replaced my A64 3000+ with the E8400 I ordered yet. ;)

I'm holding out for the 10 series. :) The 9 series is a little underwhelming due to the 8 series cards being so good.

I'm sitting on a 7900gt. Last Sept. after I rebuilt the rest of my system, it was time for a new gpu. 8800gtx was over a year old and Nvidia was revamping it's midrange line (8800gt) a new "top of the line" had to be on the way. Finally, we got the GX2 requiring (for me) the purchase of a "one time use" waterblock (probably $200) and, a GTX based on last year's mid-range core. I can hardly contain my excitement. Of course, any of these would be (likely will be) an improvement over my 7900, just not what I was expecting for 2 generations.

waiting to see what the r700 line can do .. expect some good performace to come from the 4870 series.

Nothing beats the awesome feeling of seeing the improvements from skipping 2 generations of video cards (CPUs,motherboards as well). I'm grabbing a 9800gtx myself and I'm not updating again until 12800GX4 :)>

I've been "holding out" with a 64mb laptop card. I'll buy when the 9800GTSs drop below 150...if I can wait that long haha.

Seeing as my old rig's video card is better than yours OP, I don't see why you wouldn't be impressed as I have seen a HUGE jump in performance :confused:

Nothing beats the awesome feeling of seeing the improvements from skipping 2 generations of video cards (CPUs,motherboards as well). I'm grabbing a 9800gtx myself and I'm not updating again until 12800GX4 :)>

What about the feeling of suffering for two years with lower resolutions and IQ while you wait? My considerably overclocked 8800GTS-640 isn't beating up on any games at my native resolution (1680x1050 4xAA). It handles older games like F.E.A.R and Titan Quest fairly well but nothing extraordinary. It certainly can't handle newer titles like Bioshock and COD4 to my satisfaction.

So I'm baffled at how people can be happy with three year old technology. I used to have a 6800GT and couldn't imagine what it must be like trying to play anything on it today.

What about the feeling of suffering for two years with lower resolutions and IQ while you wait? My considerably overclocked 8800GTS-640 isn't beating up on any games at my native resolution (1680x1050 4xAA). It handles older games like F.E.A.R and Titan Quest fairly well but nothing extraordinary. It certainly can't handle newer titles like Bioshock and COD4 to my satisfaction.

So I'm baffled at how people can be happy with three year old technology. I used to have a 6800GT and couldn't imagine what it must be like trying to play anything on it today.

Simple dont play high end video card requiring pc games :) Consoles for 2 years then upgrade your pc rinse repeat. MGS4+ PS3 anyone?

still holding with my 8800GTX and still is waiting. I wont get a GX2 for now I guess.

the only reason you're "unimpressed" with any Vcards out now is because you've never experienced an 8800GTX. I dont' think Nvidia knew what they had with this card

I'm still using my AGP 6800GT from 2004 as I hadn't been impressed with the Geforce8 cards at all. I'm not seeing a jump like I did with the Geforce5 to 6 series. Even the newer cards are very ho-hum for the money. Anybody else holding out till they see an excellent card from ATI or Nvidia released?

I disagree, i got an 8800GTS 512MB for 200 dollars which is amazing if you look at it from the perspective that it pretty much performs as good as if not better than anything else on the market. :D

I just bought a 8800gt 512mb to replace a 7800gt 256 (that died... :() which had replaced a 6800gt. I enjoy amping up the eye candy and at sub-$200 for a 8800gt or 9600gt(?) why not? It's not like back in the day when a $300 card could barely play the game at runable frame rates.

To be honest, if you build a cheap dual core rig with even just an 8800gts you will be blown away compared to your current card. I just finished helping a buddy who was in your same situation, but after I finished building his rig, he loaded up COD4 and was amazed.

Wow really? I went from a 7800GS to a 8800GTS and the change was amazing. How can you even stand it?

The 8-series is great. 6800? common, when I went from a 7800gt to a 8800 gts and that was a huge jump. I think the only reason your not impressed is because you can't run a pci-e card.... unless you can then I will shut my fat mouth.

just to put things in perspective - there will ALWAYS be something better/faster coming down the pipeline. You need to upgrade when performance no longer suits you. Show up to a lan party somewhere to see what other people's machines are capable of + decide if you want to purchase something new then based on what you learned.

If you are happy with your current performance even after seeing the newer cards perform then there is NO REASON to upgrade.

I have had cards in the Geforce 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8 era. The jump from a 8800GT(of any kind) over a 6800GT is just as phenomenal as a 6800GT over a 5900FX (maybe even more, percentage-wise). Definitely not simply "ho-hum" for the money. My 320mb 8800GTS was $260 after rebate and even though current G92 8800GTS's go for less than that, I'm completely satisfied with my purchase one year later. Do yourself a favor and buy one now.

im also on a agp system and as soon as teh funds come in i will get a 8800gts card now and then get the next best thing that is AT LEAST DOUBLE the performance of a 8800gts.

i was without a job for a month and just started a new one a month ago so funds are abit low atm but if it wasnt for that i would of been on pci already. get teh pci 2.0 for more future proof along with a quad core and your system will last at least 3 years playing the latest games at very high by just upgrading the graphics card. i realy doubt that games made 2009/2010 will max out a quad core cpu. games nowadays are just about dual core dependant now so it will be 2/3 years till u see todays q6600 being a bottleneck for gaming

My OC'd GTS 640MB still rips things up like it should. No need to go out and spend $200+ for a new GT or GTS and be stuck with 25% more performance at best. I'm just waiting past all of this G92 junk for the real stuff (9900GTX? We'll see, but I doubt it).

Anyone who thinks that the 8800GTX that came out in 2006 was not impressive (compared to their 6800GT) is either being deliberately provocative or rather uninformed/clueless. (I think the former is more likely)

Anyway, in the spirit of the original question: I'll be holding out until I see something better. Very tempted to get a GX2, but it's really not worth it because it's not that much better than my existing card. Not impressed with the 9 series because my 8800GTX holds it's own and can justify this, unlike the OP.

I have been changing my videocard at least once a year(sometimes twice) ever since 2002.

Holding on to my 8800GTX for the supposed 9900GTX in July or August. What a good investment the 8800GTX has been.

Despite all of the suggestions to upgrade like crazy and build a new system, I'd just simply ask what you want to play? If it TF2 or another game that can be really fun without worrying about realistic graphics, you should just stick with your card until you can afford to build a new system altogether.

Personally, I'll be going the laptop route in a couple of months, assuming AMD Puma is as sick as it looks on paper.

My 6800GS still handles TF2 or CSS or other games like that fine, though my 2600XT is my primary card and I use it to play TF2 and COD4. I personally prefer to 'un-max out' settings in order to achieve maximum FPS, because gameplay is much more important to me than visual aesthetics. You could see a so-so improvement with a hundred dollar card like the 2600XT, but that's assuming you already have maxed out the processor for your motherboard, and at least 2 gigs of ram. I'd be willing to bet, though that you have a 478 P4 or an Athlon64 and 1 gig of ram, in which case it's unlikely that a GPU upgrade on your AGP motherboard will do you much good.

Your best bet is to wait until you are ready to build a new system Dual/Quadcore cpu, minimum 2 gigs of ram, and a DX10 card. I've held out before too, heck I just got into a PCI-E system myself not much more than a year ago.

I wont be laying down 600+ USD for a card,until the next big 'G80' chip/card arrives.I figure this Summer we'll see something along those lines.

Back