who else has mechanical keyboard on laptop besides smi?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
as I don't buy that brand.

and I prefer laptop w/ 3 yr. warranty

what other brand has mechanical keyboard?

Let's be honest, the MSI with a mechanical keyboard can hardly be called a laptop. The thing is 18" x 13" x 2" and weighs 10 pounds and costs $4000. It also has a 350W power brick. You might as well buy an SFF, might be more portable than this thing. Shoot, you could get a nice tenkeyless mechanical keyboard to pair with a normal laptop and it would be infinitely more portable.

So short answer, nobody, because that thing is a damn monster and completely impractical as a laptop. You are better off getting a nice ultraportable for $1000 and a nice desktop for $3000.

For a mechanical keyboard to be in a laptop, it would add at least 1/2" to the thickness of the laptop. I honestly don't see any other mfgs going this route as the market for it would be very very small.

There are no others, just MSi for the time being.

It's too bad you don't buy MSi, their SteelSeries keyboards in their gaming lineup aren't too bad if you don't want the behemoth GT80 with it's mechanical keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MSI GT80 looks like a fine piece of hardware. I was really considering getting one of those to have while I'm out of town working.

Let's be honest, the MSI with a mechanical keyboard can hardly be called a laptop. The thing is 18" x 13" x 2" and weighs 10 pounds and costs $4000. It also has a 350W power brick. You might as well buy an SFF, might be more portable than this thing. Shoot, you could get a nice tenkeyless mechanical keyboard to pair with a normal laptop and it would be infinitely more portable.

So short answer, nobody, because that thing is a damn monster and completely impractical as a laptop. You are better off getting a nice ultraportable for $1000 and a nice desktop for $3000.

There is no desktop or sff solution that is as reasonable to carry as the MSI GT80 even at as big as it is. Please post the solution if you know it. And people who are looking for a laptop like this want it for a reason, suggesting they go buy a desktop and a laptop that will not fill the role doesn't make any sense. These people want to game on the go, that's why they are buying it.

Once upon a time that was probably true, however, there's some surprising options out there for folks such as MSI's gaming All-in-One series of computers, even in spite of the OP saying he doesn't want an MSI :), that would be incredibly easy to carry around and allow for whatever keyboard / mouse the user desired:

http://us.msi.com/product/aio#?category=Gaming+Series&category_no=1080

Then to go a different direction, you could buy a lightweight laptop with a powerful cpu and no video card and then set up a docking station at home with an external video card, mechanical keyboard, etc for your intensive work while still having a solid on the go solution for work / class.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1858693

Or you can buy a sff case and mount it to the back of an lcd and tote that around if you are just in need of something that is basically a desktop, but easy to move around:

http://www.cratecomputers.com/collections/computers/products/cc1m

Last edited:
I like the mechanical keyboard feedback, but I don't need a fancy video card on a laptop

There is no other option, the MSI is the first modern machine with a mechanical keyboard.

It's also a lot more portable (and powerful) than even MSI's AIOs (which are the fastest out there).

I hope others will follow. Because your productivity will increase w/ a mech. keyboard

It wont happen due to the practical limitations of a mechanical keyboard, the required depth and weight make it impractical for smaller machines.

I'll build ya a hella desktop for $3k.
I'll even throw in a 84-key Choc Mini with your choice of switches that will plug right into your $1000 laptop. Whaddaya say? Problem solved?

Back