who doesn't have Half Life 2?

me, played it once, got rid of it, do that with most of the games i don't play online. short attention span :p

just beat episode 1 in 3-4 hours, intense game! i beat half of hl2 in a matter of hours maybe 4, but then had to format so i have to replay it! urgg! :mad:

how can you guys just speed through games. i like to enjoy the ride a bit and not race through it.

Which came first?

Half Life 2 or HL2 episode one

LOL, nope, no joke.

I got the Orange box a week after its release. Ive been playing TF2 this whole time but earlier, I wanted to try out the HL series.

I had played the HL2 demo.....ehh, thought it was kinda bogus, but I keep on reading all these people who think its one of the best games made, so I thought Id give it another shot, this time, with the whole game.

As I was about to start, I had the delima......Which was first in the "2" series....episode one or just the title sake Half Life 2......

I decided to start playing HL2....Glad to see I made the right choice :)

Is the orange box a steam based setup? This is the only reason I have not bought HL2.

Is the orange box a steam based setup? This is the only reason I have not bought HL2.

Yes, and steam has improved a lot over the years.

I bought HL2 but mainly played deathmatch...man those were the days, high speed adrenaline pumping action!

just beat episode 1 in 3-4 hours, intense game! i beat half of hl2 in a matter of hours maybe 4, but then had to format so i have to replay it! urgg! :mad:
I think 4 would be stretching it a bit. Probably 8 hours would be the quickest you could finish it.

I dont have and have never played HL. Maybe somebody would be kind enough to give me their copy when they upgrade to something else?

Ive had HL2 for a while, along with fear, HL2 for me rate as high as it gets for replayability.

How can you be interested in FPS games and not played HL2 by now... :eek:

Before you play HL2... you may want to look into Half-Life... that way you can understand the story a bit more.... HL:Source should do the trick :)

I think 4 would be stretching it a bit. Probably 8 hours would be the quickest you could finish it.
8 hours for wat? episode 1 or half of hl2?
also i beat half of hl2 in 4 hours sorry just looked at xfire, it was a no stop day of gaming that time.

Unless you have serious issues with the idea of someone getting recompensed appropriately for their IP and not ripped off by warez kids (i.e. issues with DRM), then I highly recommend Steam. It's come on in leaps and bounds since release and is now some kind of iTunes/Facebook hybrid. You'd be surprised just how many publishers are on board and what kind of bargains you can pick up on older titles or packages like the Orange Box, with older titles being thrown in for free along with newer stuff.

Hell, it's worth getting stuff on Steam just so you can stay up to date with patches automatically and be able to run games without have to fish out the CD, legally.

Unless you have serious issues with the idea of someone getting recompensed appropriately for their IP and not ripped off by warez kids (i.e. issues with DRM), then I highly recommend Steam. It's come on in leaps and bounds since release and is now some kind of iTunes/Facebook hybrid. You'd be surprised just how many publishers are on board and what kind of bargains you can pick up on older titles or packages like the Orange Box, with older titles being thrown in for free along with newer stuff.

Hell, it's worth getting stuff on Steam just so you can stay up to date with patches automatically and be able to run games without have to fish out the CD, legally.

true.. i hate buying games because i have to install them from the CD, thats soo 1990s.. I make ISOs of everything, but some games i can't

I don't have HL2. Never got to finish the original HL so i don't want to ruin it by skipping to HL2. One of these days i'll get around to it. Maybe if/when HL3 comes out? :D

I don't have HL2, but I will tomorrow when I pick up my Orange Box :D

well for those that can get through HL2 in 4 to 8 hours that really makes me feel like i suck since i been playing it about 2 weeks now and think i'm only about 1/3 of the way through it.
Maybe i'll get better just kind of new to gaming on a pc

I just got HL2 a few weeks ago but just started playing it. It is pretty good, but I get creeped out easily (see my reply about F.E.A.R. on Horror thread).

Also one very odd thing is that I can't actually play it for very long because I get a little depressed. It's lonely and the sky is sometimes overcast. It reminds me of the winters here in Seattle. I know I'm weird. I just get an uncomfortable feeling when I play it. I still haven't played it online though, I should check that out.

Hey, so what free mods do they have for HL2? I played a lot of CS and DoD a long time ago when they were beta. Do they still have stuff like that or do they make you pay now?

There's plenty of free mods out there...one of the reasons that I am just going to LOVE the Orange Box :)

Goldeneye Source, Perfect Dark Source, Minerva, Dystopia, older versions of GMod, and so on...practically endless :D

*raises hand*

I played a few levels on my nephew's computer, but never went and bought it since my PC is garbage. (I could probably play it on my macbook, but i'd need XP)

I'm probably going to get Orange Box just so's I can finally play it fully.

There's plenty of free mods out there...one of the reasons that I am just going to LOVE the Orange Box :)

Goldeneye Source, Perfect Dark Source, Minerva, Dystopia, older versions of GMod, and so on...practically endless :D
You forgot Fortress Forever. How could you?

Becasue TF2 > FF

Although, if you don't want to shell out for TF2, then I suppose FF is as good as you'll get.

Heh, one of my work colleagues is trying to give away his HL2 orange box coupon, but everyone already has it :p.

I figured TF2 counted for the 'Fortress' experience. Was I wrong?
Are the two very different in terms of gameplay?
Very much so. FF essentially uses the source engine to recreate TFC. Other than the graphics updates, the creators tried to keep it as precisely the same to the original as humanly possible. If you're familiar with TFC, you'll fall right into old habits with FF.

TF2 on the other hand is a complete revision of TFC. Valve revamped a number of the classes giving them new weapons and abilities to eliminate crossover and make each unique. They also did away with grenades completely with the exception of the demoman's main weapon which is a grenade launcher, and they overhauled the gameplay to be based more on a point capture system instead of flag captures. There is also the addition of a respawn timer which, though short, is a definitely departure from the instant respawns from TFC.

Loved HL and got HL2 on release day.

Got bored and never finished it.

Back