Who come up with this: Shaving CD?

Seems like the person is just demonstrating that twisted pairs reduces interference, which is why ethernet cat cable uses it for example (not that kind of final braiding though :p). If they're trying to push buying expensive cables as a result otoh it's a bit silly.
The next wire had the poly-cotton core which he's shown looks like a rope in other videos. But yeah, his whole thing is regular wire acts like an antenna, which apparently he can hear on his battery-powered system. It's all about reducing the noise floor. Which no one can argue is getting pretty high these days.
It seems that most Audiophiles have a lot more money than brains and just want to 1-up their other Audiophile friends.
That can be said for some of the posters on this very forum. But I don't think this guy is one of those guys. His attitude is too chill for that.

The process for improving his system was described something like the following(I'm paraphrasing)

Friend comes over.
"Hey, are you doing X?"
Him: "That sounds goofy AF"
Friend: "It makes Y so much cleaner, you'll notice it in your highs."
Him: "Seriously?"
Friend: "OMG you have to try it"
Him: "O-oh, ok. It's crazy but I'll give it a go."
Friend: "You'll love it"

... few days later friend visits...

Friend: "Did you do the thing?"
Him: "Um, yes...."
Friend: "...and?"
Him: "OMG it's amazing!"
Friend: "Just wait until you combine it with Z"

Repeat an infinite number of times with him improving his friend's systems, often, too.

The next wire had the poly-cotton core which he's shown looks like a rope in other videos. But yeah, his whole thing is regular wire acts like an antenna, which apparently he can hear on his battery-powered system. It's all about reducing the noise floor. Which no one can argue is getting pretty high these days.

That can be said for some of the posters on this very forum. But I don't think this guy is one of those guys. His attitude is too chill for that.

The process for improving his system was described something like the following(I'm paraphrasing)

Friend comes over.
"Hey, are you doing X?"
Friend: "It makes Y so much cleaner, you'll notice it in your highs."
Him: "Seriously?"
Friend: "OMG you have to try it"
Him: "O-oh, ok. It's crazy but I'll give it a go."
Friend: "You'll love it"

... few days later friend visits...

Friend: "Did you do the thing?"
Him: "Um, yes...."
Friend: "...and?"
Him: "OMG it's amazing!"
Friend: "Just wait until you combine it with Z"

Repeat an infinite number of times with him improving his friend's systems, often, too.
I wasn't referring to any post in this thread, I was just making a generalized statement.

I watched this the other day

The only thing I can think of is CD plastic manufacturing materials (quality?) back then might have made a difference, making lapping CDs useful?

But I chalk it up to audiophiles just being "I want to believe" as well mainly, especially given the results of the video.

https://www.lessloss.com/cmarc-digital-cable-p-226.html#a_82-748_36-781

cables are usually the most absurd in pricing. Especially nowadays we use digital cables. So for me, if the cable is braided, it's usually a good cable. My mouse and keyboard are braided cable. But if you look at the above link, the price is $969 / meter, so no wonder he offers free shipping worldwide. Imagine his profit margin. And I have seen $1.6K to $2K / meter in other website. It's insane.

Having said that, in our IT circle, we do have co. like singularity computer that charges as much as $4.3K per plastic case.

Well the GR reserach guy only charges like $42 or so per meter of his fancy stuff, so sure you can pay more. And $42 is still more than I would spend, currently. I'm still an unconverted speaker monkey. I just use 14 - 10gauge wire to my passive speakers and call it a day.

My cousin in Iceland is into that high end stuff. Not sure what cables he uses now, but back 32 years ago he bought $750/ft speaker wire. Only needed like 4 feet, but still that is $3,000 just in speaker wire.

Maggi Electrostatic Speakers.jpg Maggi audio system.jpgmaggi-stereo-setup-new2.jpg

Seems like the person is just demonstrating that twisted pairs reduces interference, which is why ethernet cat cable uses it for example (not that kind of final braiding though :p). If they're trying to push buying expensive cables as a result otoh it's a bit silly.

Made me think long back in the day with dialup internet started, where I proved some modems perform way better than others on lines too premises(Chipsets were an indication). So one day I got a complaint of a complete small town with hardly internet possible suddenly, about 80% of customers. I resolved this nightmare by using a tone probe handheld(Without sending tone). If you extend it out your car window, you can hear how the AC noise differ from town to town or from route to route. Ariiving at this own It sounded much worse than normal. I even get the noise at plant leaves on the street pavements.
After some investigation I arrived at a munisipal power box with real hard AC noise. I reported it to the power company, which come and found a Ground/Neutral type of a fault. They digged up the place, reconstruct/new box, and a day later everybody had internet again.
I am not sure where this could have ended was it not for the simple probe.
So sometimes other methods can be used thats normally not considered.

Dont know about shaving CD's.

You can also stuff ropes into your audio cables and braid them like a little girl's hair.

Tinker toy manufacturers don't expect you to do this, but they can't stop you.

Also, it better be powered by batteries or it's all for nothing. AC is just too darn noisy.
The dude at GR-Research knows his stuff. Twisted cables reduces inductance and interference. I never really understood twisted speaker cables for short runs unless a ton of power was being pushed through.

Kimber Kable was the most expensive stuff I recall installing back when I worked installing home theaters. Braiding does have benefits in an analogue cable but unless you have a high end signal and high end on both sides not really worth it. And digital... different sory.

https://www.lessloss.com/cmarc-digital-cable-p-226.html#a_82-748_36-781

cables are usually the most absurd in pricing. Especially nowadays we use digital cables. So for me, if the cable is braided, it's usually a good cable. My mouse and keyboard are braided cable. But if you look at the above link, the price is $969 / meter, so no wonder he offers free shipping worldwide. Imagine his profit margin. And I have seen $1.6K to $2K / meter in other website. It's insane.
My cousin in Iceland is into that high end stuff. Not sure what cables he uses now, but back 32 years ago he bought $750/ft speaker wire. Only needed like 4 feet, but still that is $3,000 just in speaker wire.
For speaker wire I've used an extension cable a time or two. Good 14 gauge stranded copper with great insulation. Most speaker wire for general purposes is 14ga so it works great.

If you know janitors or others who frequently spool the cable over their arm you can get it twisted already! (Joking)

Back