Who bought GTX980? Post your impression.

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi,
I bought 2 GTX980 with the system in signature.

They are very powerful but I see some choppiness when maxing out games like Watch Dogs or Assassin's Creed 4 at maximum settings even at 1920x1200.

I think that it is a problem of the games since AC4 for example, uses the 2 card no more than 50%.

Are you satisfied with your GTX980?

I have zero problems with my 780s now at 2560x1440 ( assasians creed is very smooth ), I'm getting my 980s on Tuesday and I'll report back. What in game settings? I'm assuming maxed out.

Hi,
I bought 2 GTX980 with the system in signature.

They are very powerful but I see some choppiness when maxing out games like Watch Dogs or Assassin's Creed 4 at maximum settings even at 1920x1200.

I think that it is a problem of the games since AC4 for example, uses the 2 card no more than 50%.

Are you satisfied with your GTX980?

Is AC4 frame limited or do you have vsync on in that game. I've never played it but I have heard people commenting on it and it being stuck on vsync or something? I mean in relation to the low usage on the gpu not the stuttering

I have zero problems with my 780s now at 2560x1440 ( assasians creed is very smooth ), I'm getting my 980s on Tuesday and I'll report back. What in game settings? I'm assuming maxed out.

that's strange.

Is AC4 frame limited or do you have vsync on in that game. I've never played it but I have heard people commenting on it and it being stuck on vsync or something? I mean in relation to the low usage on the gpu not the stuttering

no vsync.

AC4 is indeed capped at 62.5 FPS, I just tried it out and no matter what settings I use it goes from 59 to 62, plays nice and smooth for me thou.

AC4 is indeed capped at 62.5 FPS, I just tried it out and no matter what settings I use it goes from 59 to 62, plays nice and smooth for me thou.

Is it smooth at what settings?
I see a lot of stutter in cities where there are a lot of physx

Haven't had any issues so far. The Witcher 2 and Crysis 3 (High not Very High settings) all run great at 4K resolution.

Noticed a huge improvement over my old R9 290 CF setup with Witcher 2, running a locked 60 almost all the time now. Smooth as silk, not noticing any runt frames.

Watch_Dogs I don't have installed anymore but that game stuttered on both my 780 SLI and R9 290 CF setup. The problem is likely with the game. Not sure about AC4.

I have the same steup. The performance in Battlefield 4 is astoundingly good. Never seen a game look better. The same goes for Crysis 3. These cards totally destroy that game.

My concern is that 4GB will prove to be not enough VRAM but time will tell.

This is why I got 1 GTX 980 and decided to wait on the Titan II. SLI is still not ideal and average framerate and observed framerate and not the same thing.

Is it smooth at what settings?
I see a lot of stutter in cities where there are a lot of physx

Game never really dips more then 2 or 3 FPS but I don't really notice ( I tried with GSYNC On and OFF and GSYNC is a little smoother ) Game settings are maxxed, Physix maxxed, for AA im using 4 TXAA. Not to sure what it is but I like the way it looks.

Not only is AC4 capped but it's very poorly optomized. Just check your ram usage in the game, it's minimal, meaning it's streaming a lot of data from your drive which causes the choppiness. It's really quite annoying. I'm actually going to try and see if I can alleviate that by creating a ram drive for the game.

I purchased 3 GTX 980 SC's and 2 GTX 970 SC's. Im happy with both cards. The 2 970s are in the htpc hooked up to a 60 samsung 4k tv and the 980's are in my desktop running a 28" Samsung 4k monitor. have 0 issue with purchasing them or their performance.

First thing I would do in AC4 is disable PhysX, or at least turn it down to normal. If I'm not mistaken PhysX was added to the game in a later patch and it seems like the implementation of it is poor. I would also choose another AA mode. TXAA is too much of a performance hog, and it reduces image quality a lot to the point where I think FXAA would be a better option. At least with FXAA you don't get the performance hit that goes along with the quality loss.

I have a single 980 and it maxes out every game I have with all the details and maintains 60fps w/ vsync all of the time.
That's all I ever wanted, so I'm more than happy.

Damn, bad news on AC4, it's been out so long I would have thought they would have hashed out their issues. I plan to buy it during the steam Xmas sale.

So far I haven't played many games on my pair of GTX 980s but what I have played was The Witcher (1) with 4k downsampled to 3240x1920 and it ram excellently and looked better than ever.

I also played Titanfall which those card completely Owned at 3240x1920 @ 120hz. I was in awe because my GTX 680 SLi just before it, would struggle at high textures below my native resolution.

Not to derail this thread but I have an issue in Titanfall that hopefully someone knows a fix for. If so Please PM me.

With afterburner or Precision X running on screen display at all The title screen runs at like 8fps and I can't play the game unless I completely close the OC application. Sometimes I can get away with disabling the OSD and closing and re-launching the OC program again to play with my overclocks but it's a pain in the ass and I would like to know a fix. Other players have told me that the game is running fine with precision X or afterburner for them. Also this is with the latest versions and on a new OS install since I just upgraded my rig.

So far I'm happy but I'm running into issues overclocking because of a voltage issue on GPU 1. You may notice when at load GPU 1 will be undervolted by .5x mv. It also seems that my voltage boosts in both programs seem to be ignored because my default voltage (without tinkering) is the same as if I boost my voltage to +87. Goldentiger has a pair on GTX 970s with the same issue and started a thread at the Nvidia Forums here https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777448/?comment=4320036

Not to derail this thread but I have an issue in Titanfall that hopefully someone knows a fix for. If so Please PM me.

With afterburner or Precision X running on screen display at all The title screen runs at like 8fps and I can't play the game unless I completely close the OC application. Sometimes I can get away with disabling the OSD and closing and re-launching the OC program again to play with my overclocks but it's a pain in the ass and I would like to know a fix. Other players have told me that the game is running fine with precision X or afterburner for them. Also this is with the latest versions and on a new OS install since I just upgraded my rig.
If you're just using the OSD to get your framerate, use +cl_showfps 1 on your launch arguments for the game and disable the rivatuner OSD.

I have a similar problem with my 980 where if I'm trying to use shadowplay, Titanfall does the super low FPS thing you just mentioned. I do have Afterburner running with no problems, but I didn't install rivatuner with it and do not use the OSD.

This definitely seems like a bug in the driver or these cards, since my 770's did not exhibit this issue.

My impression: it's really fast, stable, has great new features, but it needs more fucking VRAM! Quit being so stingy with the VRAM, Nvidia!

Saints Row IV for example, a very well optimized PC game, uses 3.2 GB of VRAM when you use Dynamic Super Resolution @ 3840x2160. That's getting dangerously close to the 4 GB limit.

This thing is not going to hold up well at all with games that are VRAM hungry particularly when you try to use this new down-sampling feature Nvidia's pimping.

I get the performance issue with all Origin games and Afterburner. I usually just start the game normally, alt+tab and THEN start Afterburner up. That seems to work fine until a real fix is found.

I get the performance issue with all Origin games and Afterburner. I usually just start the game normally, alt+tab and THEN start Afterburner up. That seems to work fine until a real fix is found.

Thanks and again my appologies to the OP for derailing a bit. I think I found a fix that should work. It appears to be an issue with the Origin Overlay and any Rivatuner Statistics Server running together. That makes sense as the issue starts when the game comes up and it says "Origin overlay disabled" One guy suggested adding the game to steam and that fixes it. Going to try that tonight. :)

Damn, bad news on AC4, it's been out so long I would have thought they would have hashed out their issues. I plan to buy it during the steam Xmas sale.

So far I haven't played many games on my pair of GTX 980s but what I have played was The Witcher (1) with 4k downsampled to 3240x1920 and it ram excellently and looked better than ever.

I also played Titanfall which those card completely Owned at 3240x1920 @ 120hz. I was in awe because my GTX 680 SLi just before it, would struggle at high textures below my native resolution.

So far I'm happy but I'm running into issues overclocking because of a voltage issue on GPU 1. You may notice when at load GPU 1 will be undervolted by .5x mv. It also seems that my voltage boosts in both programs seem to be ignored because my default voltage (without tinkering) is the same as if I boost my voltage to +87. Goldentiger has a pair on GTX 970s with the same issue and started a thread at the Nvidia Forums here https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777448/?comment=4320036

Oh Wow my Titanfall sucks ass to when I have Afterburner or Evga a Precision running too! I thought it was so etching wrong with my system.

Disabling origin in game for Titanfall fixed the issue. Another fix is to import titanfall into steam. A quick google search will show guides on how to do that.

Purchased the EVGA SC 980 and added a little more OC to it +80mhz on core, and +400mhz on mem. Had a few issues at first with the DP not working, and the card not idling correctly, but some driver re-installs and changes in monitor settings ironed all of that out.

Once getting everything setup and running correctly, with my OC and my old 680 as physx, I must say that I am quite happy with the purchase and am loving the card. I did buy the EVGA for the potential of stepping up to an ACX 8gb version at some point, which may or may not still be in the cards.

Currently playing CSGO, Dota 2, BF4, Titanfall, Planetside 2 and Planetary Annihilation (Mostly just CSGO/DotA2 tbh). Titanfall has seen the biggest improvement with me being able to use insane textures and higher AA. It is using 3.6gb of GPU memory @ 1920x1080, which is...impressive. PS2 definitely benefits from maxing the draw distance and using my GTX680 for phsyx. BF4 also has some improvement from the standpoint of more frames and adding in some in-game SS (Just 10%).

My guess would be its the OSD causing it, as I have had zero issues with running Afterburner, but I dont use OSD. I also do no install the "riva tuner statistics server" as that caused me issues years ago. Hope the issue gets worked out for you. Cheers!

Guys thanks for all these posts regarding Titanfall, I like the simple Alt Tab but I'm going to try to import to steam.

So nobody else is having issues after enabling shadowplay?
Turning shadowplay on makes my entire graphics subsystem lag, including at the windows desktop! The only way to fix it is to disable shadowplay, then go into the theme picker and pick a non-aero theme, then go back to my regular theme.

As of getting my 980, I can't use shadowplay at all.

So nobody else is having issues after enabling shadowplay?
Turning shadowplay on makes my entire graphics subsystem lag, including at the windows desktop! The only way to fix it is to disable shadowplay, then go into the theme picker and pick a non-aero theme, then go back to my regular theme.

As of getting my 980, I can't use shadowplay at all.

I don't typically use shadowplay, but I will try to remember to do so later when I get home and report back.

Are you able to play 3d mark Sky Diver?
With my GTX980 SLI, running latest nvidia drivers, windows 8.1, the benchmark run ok but every time the girl enter the cave the image hangs.

Are you able to play this bench with your cards?

I don't have a GTX 980 but I have a GTX 970 which works great, coming from a GTX 670 and a GTX 780. My GTX 970 works great on 4K as well, though I require another card in SLI because some games struggle to run 4K on a single card but I do plan on getting another one soon.

At least my GTX 970 is better than my POS Gigabyte GTX 780 Ghz Edition which gave me a headache. Moving to my current GTX 970 solved all my issues.

Skydiver: http://www.3dmark.com/sd/2400162
980 oc'd to 1334/1485/8000
GPU-Z reports that my PerfCap reason is Vrel, so basically I can't go higher because more voltage would damage the GPU. Voltage maxes out at 1.25v.

Has anyone actually modified a bios using KBT and flashed it onto their card? Is a new version of KBT going to be released? Does anyone actually know the 'home' site for KBT?

Has anyone actually modified a bios using KBT and flashed it onto their card? Is a new version of KBT going to be released? Does anyone actually know the 'home' site for KBT?

(you can leave the vRAM clock to 7500mhz and you will be able to reach a bit more higher clocks)

Kepler Bios tweaker can mod the BIOS but actually ins't possible to flash the card... GoldenTiger are working hard trying to make possible the flashing.. but no luck to date.. im working in the power tables and voltage tables of a 980 BIOS to see how much can be pushed and set a new Base clock and turbo clocks, so far without being able to flash and test, 1463 - 1606 are safe values in a 8+8 power connector 980 with 140% power limit and still have some headroom to 150%power limit and extra vRAM overclock.. :)

Ordered my 980, today. Asus version from Directron. With their 10% off for new customer discount + $30 Visa debit gift card. my total came to $460. :)

(you can leave the vRAM clock to 7500mhz and you will be able to reach a bit more higher clocks)

Kepler Bios tweaker can mod the BIOS but actually ins't possible to flash the card... GoldenTiger are working hard trying to make possible the flashing.. but no luck to date.. im working in the power tables and voltage tables of a 980 BIOS to see how much can be pushed and set a new Base clock and turbo clocks, so far without being able to flash and test, 1463 - 1606 are safe values in a 8+8 power connector 980 with 140% power limit and still have some headroom to 150%power limit and extra vRAM overclock.. :)

I successfully flashed the BIOS of my card already from stock to Superclocked.
You just need nvflash 5.190 and you need to boot safe mode or uninstall the GPU driver first.
That's the Maxwell limitation, you cannot flash BIOS while the GPU driver is loaded.

I successfully flashed the BIOS of my card already from stock to Superclocked.
You just need nvflash 5.190 and you need to boot safe mode or uninstall the GPU driver first.
That's the Maxwell limitation, you cannot flash BIOS while the GPU driver is loaded.

Awesome, thanks for reporting. Where did you download nvflash from? Is that version hard to find?

Edit: Also I would like to recommend using Kepler bios tweaker to modify your backed up Cards bios to save a new version. What you can do reportedly is Boost the Power limit of the card to allow for higher overclocking. See this thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041134400#post1041134400

Disclaimer: Bios flashing is done at the owners own risk.

Last edited:
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Utilitaires/nVidia-NVFLASH-Version-5.190.0.1/

My worry is that KBT doesn't seem to read the voltage or boost tables correctly for maxwell.
I did a filecompare in hex after modification and the range of the edits was not the same range as the original.

In other words, I think KBT doesn't correctly edit maxwell bios.

I see. Makes sense and especially if you did a file compare in hex and confirmed. Damn, I guess KBT man needs to hurry up and make MBT :D

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Utilitaires/nVidia-NVFLASH-Version-5.190.0.1/

My worry is that KBT doesn't seem to read the voltage or boost tables correctly for maxwell.
I did a filecompare in hex after modification and the range of the edits was not the same range as the original.

In other words, I think KBT doesn't correctly edit maxwell bios.

this is very correct as it have a error margin of -20mV to +20mV in some values.. anyway in waiting to take my hands over the recently launched EVGA 980 classy.. and see how much i can manually overvolt with the evbot..

Back