White PS3 questions: region locking, etc...

VoodooChi|d

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so I definitely want to get the white PS3 after seeing it. I found a place to import it from Japan for the same price the black one is here.

Anyway, will I run into any problems with region codes for PS3 games or Blu-Ray movies? (I know these shouldn't be a problem...

What about DVD's on the system... since those were coded for different regions...

Is there any other issues I might run into doing this?

Thanks in advance...

I really like the look of the white one. Where do you plan on ordering it from? I'm considering that if i get a Ps3 ever.

Play-Asia.com

edit: I did some googling and it appears that the JPN PS3 will not play US DVD's.

Also, supposedly you can only play on the Japanese servers, not the US ones which causes all sorts of problems. Looks like I may just have to go with the black one...

Play-Asia.com

edit: I did some googling and it appears that the JPN PS3 will not play US DVD's.

Also, supposedly you can only play on the Japanese servers, not the US ones which causes all sorts of problems. Looks like I may just have to go with the black one...

Damn, that stinks. The white looks pretty nice, would go well with the wii.

Exactly, I don't have any black in my entertainment center... just silver, dark gray, and white from the wii...

i think you can get a white one off colorwarepc.com. but i heard it costs a lot more.

Well at least you don't have to worry about the white turning yellow from oxidizing over time.... Thats the biggest reason I don't buy white electronics.... Shit always seems to turn piss ass yellow.

Well at least you don't have to worry about the white turning yellow from oxidizing over time.... Thats the biggest reason I don't buy white electronics.... Shit always seems to turn piss ass yellow.

stop smoking. I've never had white turn anything. I don't smoke though.

Play-Asia.com

Erm you don't play on Jap servers at all, I've had a Jap machine in the UK since launch. Bar RFOM (which now has the online side of things totally multi region so even that is a moot point) it is the region of the disk you play that determines the servers (if locked). e.g I have a UK copy of Motorstorm and play on the UK servers even tho my machine is Jap. Most games have no restrictions now anyway.

Jap PS3's play same region BR as US, but you are right that they won't play R1 DVD's, they play R2 NTSC.

Ah, thanks for the info.

The DVD thing still kills it for me. I know it seems silly but my DVD player just died so not only is the timing of getting a PS3 good, I really don't have room for a DVD player and the PS3...

I heard there is some disc you can buy and stick it in the PS3 (or any DVD player) then take it out and that it allows you to play all region DVD's. Anyone know anything about this?

Skins never look all that good, and I would have to pay for it to be painted ($99 at colorware)...

I don't dislike the black, it just doesn't fit in as well... might be a bit OCD but whatever...

There is a website where you send it in, and they custom paint it for you. I can't remember. But it's only $100 I think to paint the console and one controller. It was posted here somewhere a while back. They have a bunch of color options available. And it's really high quality too.

There is a website where you send it in, and they custom paint it for you. I can't remember. But it's only $100 I think to paint the console and one controller. It was posted here somewhere a while back. They have a bunch of color options available. And it's really high quality too.

Skins never look all that good, and I would have to pay for it to be painted ($99 at colorware)...

I don't dislike the black, it just doesn't fit in as well... might be a bit OCD but whatever...

:p...

Ah, thanks for the info.

The DVD thing still kills it for me. I know it seems silly but my DVD player just died so not only is the timing of getting a PS3 good, I really don't have room for a DVD player and the PS3...

I heard there is some disc you can buy and stick it in the PS3 (or any DVD player) then take it out and that it allows you to play all region DVD's. Anyone know anything about this?

At least you'll be able to watch Japanese DVDs. Play backups on you PS3. I think most of the DVD copying software lets you remove regional coding.

How long has it been out in Japan? you would think it would eventually show up here.

It just came out and it probably won't come to the US until next year if ever... I'm getting the PS3 within a month or so...

This would be a long shot and very unadvisable, but if you absolutely positively wanted a White PS3, swap the innards around, and see if someone will buy a Black PS3 w/ JP innards. A very big long shot. :(

Honestly if it's going to be more trouble than buying it for the same price and doing something simple like inserting a disk to play DVD's it isn't worth it.

I'm not that OCD... :p

I believe that the latest PS3s are doing away with hardware for backward compatibility... that includes the White 40s, the US 80s, all Euro versions, but I'm not sure about Japan. They're going to rely on sofware emulation instead, and I've heard reports of it not working as well. Keep this in mind if you intend to play PS2 games as well.

I believe that the latest PS3s are doing away with hardware for backward compatibility... that includes the White 40s, the US 80s, all Euro versions, but I'm not sure about Japan. They're going to rely on sofware emulation instead, and I've heard reports of it not working as well. Keep this in mind if you intend to play PS2 games as well.

PS1 game can still be played on all versions of PS3's.

PS2 games can be played on 20G and 60G
Most PS2 games can be played on 80G
0 PS2 games can be played on the 40G

:)

Back