White House Response to Russian Malicious Cyber Activity and Harassment

I'm no sports guy, but I know the backup quarterback isn't exactly relieving Joe Montana here.

This applies to every incoming President.
Bush to Clinton
Clinton to Bush
Bush to Obama
and now Obama to Trump.

If the out going President was praised more then the incoming President, you would have to seriously consider a third-term President.
The out-going President is always disliked going out the door. It props up the new guy.

It's an exploited political cycle.

I'm OK with foreign states interfering in our elections as long as my team won
If the tables were turned and Trump had lost because of a hack into his email by a foreign state then him and his supporters would certainly be doing all the complaining. I have no doubt.
The mental gymnastics required to dismiss foreign meddling in a US election and criticize a measured response to them must be exhausting.
The only problem I have with seeing the truth is that we only saw one side of it. I would have liked to have seen all the bullcrap the republicans were/are hiding. The Russians or whoever it was did us a favor. Just not enough of a favor IMO.
Remember guys, it doesn't matter if all the leaks were factual about the dirt on the Democratic Party. What matters is that the Russians supposedly exposed them, and provided us the transparency the Democrats have always promised.
Completely agree. Which is why all the whining from my extremist left wing friends is so gdam boring. Just STFU already crybabies.

As you shouldn't... he clearly stated "as long as my team won". At least he was being honest, something the Democrats obviously can't do.
It would be nice if the citizens of this country weren't becoming a bunch of extremists unable to see the bigger picture. The Democrat response to this should be disappointment that they only got leaked email information on their own party. The picture was incomplete. More leaks from both major parties would be optimal.

The picture was incomplete.

The Democrats had plenty of time to complete the bigger picture. Once the leak was known, come clean instead of playing the victim card and making it worse by all the BS we seen throughout the campaign.

Are the Russians really that dangerous and problematic?

Are you 12 or have amnesia? They're as dangerous to our way of life as it gets.

Reactions: rat
like this

Why? Are you saying that the current Russia has the military capacity as the USSR?

How was any of this a "hack"? Everything I've seen so far points to the release of the DNC emails as an inside job - a leak. And the Podesta email release was not the result of what most people think of when you say "hack". At best that was a "social hack", or what we used to call a "con". But in any event, how exactly did the release of these emails influence the election and threaten our democracy? As far as I can tell, the accusation is that swing voters gained a less favorable view of the Democrats and their candidate as a result of reading the emails and that resulted in Donald Trump getting elected. So in summary the Democrat's complaint is "We would have won the election if the damn hackers and wikileaks hadn't shown the voters what cheating scumbags we are!" Really? Who thinks it's a good idea to restart the cold war over that?

It was an inside job and Obama knows it, it is all lies. Obama just enacted the Ministry of Truth over xmas too so they can go after alternative news sites and shut them down. They don't want you knowing the truth.

Someone didn't get the tinfoil they asked for for Christmas...

So are the Chinese, Pakistan, India, england, France... Easily forgotten here their sacrifice in WWII, and their role against Japan at our request.. Am I stupid enough to say they where saints and made no massive historical mistakes? Nope, yet we act accepting of Germany whose mistake could only be described as the most massive ever. Everything sounds brugah brugah when it comes to Russia.. Maybe we should be more worried about the middle east, and Pakistan?.. I think there is more brugah brugah there.

Last edited:
Did Podesta really have "P@ssw0rd" for his email account? If that is really true this was really some "hack". What a freaking DOPE.

It should be, though it's good to have the ignorant reveal themselves. We can trim the stupid easily in this sort of fashion.

This thread had been pretty tame, haven't seen anyone really warranting an ignore, then again I already have one person who posted a few times on my list. (But having viewed their posts just now, still doesn't really warrant it).

Did Podesta really have "P@ssw0rd" for his email account? If that is really true this was really some "hack". What a freaking DOPE.

That was what it was reset to. The dopiness came from him (or his IT guy, i forget?) falling for a very obvious phishing attempt

It's usually in Soapbox where it belongs.

Come on man, the political posts and the Apple posts are this <sub> forums method of "click bait". It's gets people coming back to the forum. Same with the alerts. I feel like I'm doing my part of supporting this forum by getting all you enraged on here so you keep coming back.

Come on man, the political posts and the Apple posts are this <sub> forums method of "click bait". It's gets people coming back to the forum. Same with the alerts. I feel like I'm doing my part of supporting this forum by getting all you enraged on here so you keep coming back.

And I thought [H]ardforum was about hardware... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :p

Putin says whatevs

Man, that's embarrassing.
Best way to fight a troll is to not fall for the bait. It amuses me that all of the sabre rattling Obama is doing at this point hasn't affected Putin in any way.
Exactly, first time I've ever used the ignore function.
Funny how high a regard I had for those in a hardware forum - turns out it makes no difference I guess.
A difference of opinion in regards to politics should not make you push people away. I have a lot of disagreements with MavericK, rat and several other members in Soapbox, but we can still get along and carry out meaningful conversations in that and other areas of this forum.

Everyone likes the backup Quarterback coming into the game to relive the current starter from potentially losing the game.

But the fans forget the backup quarterback has never seen action on the playing field. He's been holding a clipboard on the sidelines since he was drafted.
After a couple of interceptions and a fumble which leads to a devastating loss, the fans hope the starter would return but the season is already over.

This is the next 4 years of politics.

More like the current starter has been fired and the new one is the new starting QB.

Exactly, first time I've ever used the ignore function.
Funny how high a regard I had for those in a hardware forum - turns out it makes no difference I guess.

But then they had the audacity to disagree politically with you. Then all knowledge in other areas was moot because politics is our religion now and tops everything. That's why landing a rocket on a comet is less important than a shirt.

They need their Information Superhighway licenses revoked. Totally terrible at protecting their cyber.

Bush to Clinton
Clinton to Bush
Bush to Obama
and now Obama to Trump.

I wasn't old enough to follow politics when the first Bush left, but from what I can tell, he launched the invasion on Iraq after Saddam attacked Kuwait in an effort to monopolize the worlds oil supply or something, and then let Saddam have his country and military back afterwards. Clinton was partially impeached for perjury and using his presidential powers to attempt to cover up a scandal. Bush 2 had Iraq and Afghanistan, enough said. Obama had those massive stimulus packages, took us out of Iraq, had to send us back to Iraq when ISIS popped up in the power vaccuum, missed the target with the ACA, overthrew Gaddafi, sent literal planes full of money to Iran when they abducted our sailors, etc...

Seems like all the outgoing presidents have built up quite the pile of stuff to criticize.

If the tables were turned and Trump had lost because of a hack into his email by a foreign state then him and his supporters would certainly be doing all the complaining. I have no doubt.

The only problem I have with seeing the truth is that we only saw one side of it. I would have liked to have seen all the bullcrap the republicans were/are hiding. The Russians or whoever it was did us a favor. Just not enough of a favor IMO.

Completely agree. Which is why all the whining from my extremist left wing friends is so gdam boring. Just STFU already crybabies.

Even before the election was finalized, the media was cawing about how Trump is dumb because the election can't be hacked. "Can't be hacked, you're losing because they don't want you, can't be hacked", then he won and we had one hell of an about face on the issue.

Seeing the Republican side would have been interesting but I'd believe in our current situation, it'd be largely irrelevant considering how each party seems to operate. Where the Left seems to seek to "control the narrative" as much as possible, the Right just seems to violently faceplant themselves from one situation to the next.

The Left tries to keep their dirty laundry out of public eye at all cost, often times resorting to pathetic excuses (Clintons 12-hour pneumonia), attempts at outright diversion (Benghazi), or taking phony action (We've fired the DNC chair for screwing Sanders out of the nomination! She's been reassigned the Clinton campaign). This results in leaks having a devastating effect. Suddenly the party of "peace, tolerance, and hope" looks like a bunch of hypocrites.

The Right just kinda lets it all hang out there. When you're accused of being the party of "racists, deplorables, 1%ers, etc", any outrage over your wrongdoings is temporary at best. Look at the last few mass shootings. The Right caught hell for supporting gun rights after Orlando and Newtown. For like a month. Then everyone just moved on to the next stupid thing that they did. Then the next. And the next. They're always so covered in mud, nothing sticks for long.
Finding a bunch of incriminating emails from the RNC would result in nothing more than a "see, they're all assholes, just like we've been saying" for like, two months tops until the media latches onto something else they've done to complain about.

How was any of this a "hack"? Everything I've seen so far points to the release of the DNC emails as an inside job - a leak.

That's what Julian Assange has said repeatedly. His organization does not deal with "hacked information", they are instead an outlet for leakers. In this case one of the leakers was likely Seth Rich.

Blaming the Russians over Hillary's loss is petulant.

Another fine piece of WaPo journalism.

TLDR:
Government sends out computer code asking if anyone has it.
Someone in Vermont goes "Oh no! We have the code"
Code is on random laptop that's not connected to anything important.
No one knows how/when/why it got there.
Probably got there from an idiot opening an email.
RUSSIANS HACKED OUR ELECTION!
Laptop was given to the data deletion professionals in the Clinton campaign to wipe.

Ok, I made that last one up, but still, we've known Cyber Security in our utility systems has been a joke for years. This article is nothing more than another pathetic scare attempt to legitimize the claim that the Russians hacked Trump into the White House.

Another fine piece of WaPo journalism.

TLDR:
Government sends out computer code asking if anyone has it.
Someone in Vermont goes "Oh no! We have the code"
Code is on random laptop that's not connected to anything important.
No one knows how/when/why it got there.
Probably got there from an idiot opening an email.
RUSSIANS HACKED OUR ELECTION!
Laptop was given to the data deletion professionals in the Clinton campaign to wipe.

Ok, I made that last one up, but still, we've known Cyber Security in our utility systems has been a joke for years. This article is nothing more than another pathetic scare attempt to legitimize the claim that the Russians hacked Trump into the White House.

WaPo... the home of #FakeNews since before #FakeNews had a hashtag.

So, the entire knowledge that is "political science" is built upon the premise that it is entirely possible to influence elections. All of the media does just that. Yet we are pissed off at Russia for supposedly doing the thing that we are doing? What, are we worried they will be better at influencing our election than our own corrupt politicians and corrupt media are? Not likely.

Bush to Clinton
Clinton to Bush
Bush to Obama
and now Obama to Trump.

If the out going President was praised more then the incoming President, you would have to seriously consider a third-term President.
The out-going President is always disliked going out the door. It props up the new guy.

It's an exploited political cycle.

President Obama's Approval Rating: 53.7% approve, 41.8% disapprove
Trump's Approval Rating: 43.9% approve, 47.8% disapprove

Looks like you're seriously considering Obama as a third-term President.

No, this (along with most the other last minute executive actions) is nothing more than an attempt to make things worse/more difficult for Trump.

Don't you just hate it when the other side uses the strategies your side has been using for the past eight years?

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." -Mitch McConnell, October 23, 2010

That's the game the Republicans brought to the field. if they don't like it, they should stop playing it. Oh wait, they're not, have you seen what's going on in North Carolina?

Also, do you honestly think Trump isn't going to discover how much he loves issuing executive actions?

Looks like you're seriously considering Obama as a third-term President.

He becomes a third term president the day he COMES TO TAKE ERRRYBODY'S GUNS AWAY.

Annnnyyyy day now....

The US is more dangerous to the way of life in the rest of the world with all its shadow wars and real wars.

Sounds like someone is still girly bitter for losing the election. Something they was sure on winning like a year in advance. Good thing other leaders are better men than Obama.

Back