White House Responds To 'Pardon Edward Snowden' Petition

He did what he felt was the right thing to do: expose just a fraction of the BS the US government is doing behind the backs of its own citizens, and for that I find no fault with the guy. As for espionage, well, sorry, but if you're not some kind of Constitutional scholar then none of us really has any ground to stand on. From what I've seen and gathered over time, Snowden never directly leaked or passed on information to any government(al) agencies worldwide, none of them - the info he possessed was passed on to journalists from various places and there's some level of precedence for doing such things. Calling it outright espionage is just going a wee bit too far at this point since we as outsiders don't have anything to work with except what's known from news reports and the journalists.

It's all one big huge pile of shit, basically, but I'm glad at least someone had the balls to say "Ok, wait, what's going on here is pretty much 100% illegal, and even if I am a contractor for the US government, this needs to get out into the open..."

I would have done pretty much the same thing, and I know a lot of other people would too.

Enough's enough.

His not living in Russia for free, I am willing to bet that he continues to do damage.

1. Rigged trial? So you think the government controls what juries think? Interesting.
5. He released a mountain of information without reading it or verifying who he was hurting or getting killed. If he really cared (as much as he says) he wouldn't of let it out in that manner.

It is possible to rig a trial with juries... they do select the people. They can intentionally put people who think badly of him in. I don't know if they would, or not.... but considering how govt works, I find it hard to believe in them.

And Snowden said he did read everything he put out. You can choose to believe him or not, but he did say that he read the things that he put out. It was either in that documentary or in his interview with the british guy.

When every member of the Government who violated the Constitution en masse are arrested, tried, and sentenced to jail for their crimes. Then everyone here can sit and talk about Edward Snowden coming home to face a fair trial.

Until then... The lack of Justice in the United States amply demonstrates the fact the US Federal Government has no moral ground to stand on. They are just thugs with guns.

I feel bad for Snowden, he did what is right, but now he is pretty much wanted dead by government so can never go back to his country. Russia seems to be the only place that is nice enough to keep him, but problem is, for how long. Russia is not exactly a free country either, but the fact that he is safer than there in the US speaks volumes about how corrupt and evil the US government really is.

Reality is the government's was caught with their pants down in their corruption, and they don't want to change that, instead they want to punish the one that was nice enough to reveal this info to the people. Unfortunately I can't see anyone being brave enough to do this again, as the corruption probably runs even deeper now than it ever has.

Wow, really?

See, I don't feel bad for Snowden, he got caught being a douche, lying about his education to get a job, was going to get canned, was seeing his future was going to be crushed by his past, and he grasped at what looked at the time like a slim opportunity to turn a bad situation into something else.

He grabbed that info and ran. He found he had no where to run to and made a deal with the devil and gave up all that classified to a foreign nation who is frequently at odds with his country.

He is not wanted dead by our government, he is wanted alive and well to answer for his crimes in court. He can come back, he just has to face trial for his actions. Hey, a Jury get's to decide this thing not the government. The world isn't on it's ear just because it's Ed Snowden going to the stand. And he isn't safer in Russia, he think's he is safer in Russia. But what happens when Snowden is forgotten, when he is of no more use as an embarrassment to the USA? What happens to Ed when the only nugget left that he has to tell, is that he did give all that data to the Russians for an open door out of the cold? You think the Russians will leave him alone to confess to the world or do you think they will quietly shut him up so the USA will never know for sure what he gave them and what he didn't? Sure, he's safer.

Where is Private White? The North Koreans were taking such good care of him, but it's been a long time and I haven't heard anything of him lately?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_T._White

Time for an education friend.

The government wasn't "caught with their pants down in their corruption", the President asked the NSA if there was more they could do to fight the terrorists, the NSA presented the President with a program that might help out, one that might be legal except for one thing. The program would violate Regan's EO12333, so Bush ran it past his lawyers and they said that if the President exercised his War Powers then he could over ride EO12333 and allow this exception to Regan's order. Bush signed the letter, the program was legal, and it's still running today. Even better, the program is now a know thing, it's not secret anymore, and still it's standing up to challenges and that's actually a good thing. It means that there is an even better chance that the program is not as great a risk to our freedoms as was imagined. that the safeguards against abuse are not weak.

As for where we are today compared to before Snowden. I know this, before Ed Snowden, it wasn't legal for the government to monitor all of my online activity at work and at home. I know that. I know that's different.

When every member of the Government who violated the Constitution en masse are arrested, tried, and sentenced to jail for their crimes. Then everyone here can sit and talk about Edward Snowden coming home to face a fair trial.

Until then... The lack of Justice in the United States amply demonstrates the fact the US Federal Government has no moral ground to stand on. They are just thugs with guns.

^^^THIS

Thankyou, a voice of reality.......

One thing I would like to point out. William Binney was a direct agency employee and had whistle blower protection. The NSA deliberty uses a ton of Beltway contractors to do a lot of this work. The reason is since they work for said Corporation and not the government they can NEVER qualify as a whistle blower. Insta-treason for any action. This has been a deliberate and conscious choice with those intentions in mind. Don't necessarily agree one way or the other. It is a different sort of F'd up problem.

Odds are if he could have gone whistle blower he would have. More importantly domestic press would be involved which are a bit more sane on how they hold the info in such cases.

More Political Correctness reprogramming so no one has any personality or individual way of thinking. Say the right thing, Be nice to everyone, Big B rother is watching. Freedom of Speech and Free thinking is Dead. Oh, please stop being a bully, your words hurt.
And what is happening today is just as bad. Forcing people to think one way and crucifying those who don't. These ridiculous forcing others to think Politically Correct are turning us into mindless robots.

It is possible to rig a trial with juries... they do select the people. They can intentionally put people who think badly of him in. I don't know if they would, or not.... but considering how govt works, I find it hard to believe in them.

And Snowden said he did read everything he put out. You can choose to believe him or not, but he did say that he read the things that he put out. It was either in that documentary or in his interview with the british guy.

Dude, the lawyers select the jury. So half the jury is selected by the prosecution and half by the defense.

I think it's hilarious, after the way things went with Bradley Manning, that so many of you think the government is going to railroad Snowden after the way they handled Manning.

Manning was ultimately charged with 22 specified offenses, including communicating national defense information to an unauthorized source, and the most serious of the charges, aiding the enemy. Other charges included violations of the Espionage Act, stealing U.S. government property, charges under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and charges related to the failure to obey lawful general orders under Article 92 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

What exactly do you guys think the penalty would be for a successful conviction of "Aiding the Enemy" during war time?

Manning was acquitted of the most serious charge, that of aiding the enemy, for giving secrets to WikiLeaks.
Hmmm, so they didn't hang him/her.

Manning was sentenced to 35 years' imprisonment, reduction in pay grade to E-1, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and a dishonorable discharge. She may be eligible for parole after serving one third of the sentence, and together with credits for time served and good behavior could be released after eight years.

Eight years, maybe longer, but possibly eight years. He could have been given the death penalty and this was a Military Court, not a regular Court, the Jury is made up of Generals not our peers.

Do some more thinking on it and tell me what you come up with :D

And don't forget about Private White now, because the longer Snowden stays in Russia, the less valuable he becomes, and the more likely it is that he'll decide to go for a dip in the Volga :p

One thing I would like to point out. William Binney was a direct agency employee and had whistle blower protection. The NSA deliberty uses a ton of Beltway contractors to do a lot of this work. The reason is since they work for said Corporation and not the government they can NEVER qualify as a whistle blower. Insta-treason for any action. This has been a deliberate and conscious choice with those intentions in mind. Don't necessarily agree one way or the other. It is a different sort of F'd up problem.

Odds are if he could have gone whistle blower he would have. More importantly domestic press would be involved which are a bit more sane on how they hold the info in such cases.

This is false. A lie. I'm a contractor, have been for almost 20 years. Sorry but your information is false.

Wow, really?

See, I don't feel bad for Snowden, he got caught being a douche, lying about his education to get a job, was going to get canned, was seeing his future was going to be crushed by his past, and he grasped at what looked at the time like a slim opportunity to turn a bad situation into something else.

Sure, instead of having to find a new job in a cozy country, it was much better for him to have to flee the county and go live in Russia. Gimme a break.

He is not wanted dead by our government, he is wanted alive and well to answer for his crimes in court.

Just because there is no advantage in his death anymore. If there was...

He can come back, he just has to face trial for his actions. Hey, a Jury get's to decide this thing not the government.

This is funny.

And he isn't safer in Russia, he think's he is safer in Russia. But what happens when Snowden is forgotten, when he is of no more use as an embarrassment to the USA? What happens to Ed when the only nugget left that he has to tell, is that he did give all that data to the Russians for an open door out of the cold? You think the Russians will leave him alone to confess to the world or do you think they will quietly shut him up so the USA will never know for sure what he gave them and what he didn't? Sure, he's safer.

Where is Private White? The North Koreans were taking such good care of him, but it's been a long time and I haven't heard anything of him lately?

But you forgot, he is in a much better situation than, god forbid, having to continue living a free life in his home and searching for a new job.

The government wasn't "caught with their pants down in their corruption", the President asked the NSA if there was more they could do to fight the terrorists, the NSA presented the President with a program that might help out, one that might be legal except for one thing. The program would violate Regan's EO12333, so Bush ran it past his lawyers and they said that if the President exercised his War Powers then he could over ride EO12333 and allow this exception to Regan's order. Bush signed the letter, the program was legal, and it's still running today. Even better, the program is now a know thing, it's not secret anymore, and still it's standing up to challenges and that's actually a good thing. It means that there is an even better chance that the program is not as great a risk to our freedoms as was imagined. that the safeguards against abuse are not weak.

This is one of the better mental gymnastics I've seen. Oh, it is technically legal, is it? Well, that must mean it is A-OK and peachy, then. Nothing to see here, move along...

As for where we are today compared to before Snowden. I know this, before Ed Snowden, it wasn't legal for the government to monitor all of my online activity at work and at home. I know that. I know that's different.

You sure are entertaining, I'll give you that.

Let me petition a guy who has murdered innocent american civilians without trial to pardon a man exposing the systems in place to accomplish such things.

Why does anyone look to the white house for anything.

By denying that traitor to return home he's getting his sentence freezing in some 3rd world hole.

Not sure if serious or trolling. How can you call him a traitor when he reviled information of what the goverment was doing against it's own people... Which isn't legal or constitutional. And what information did he give out that cost American lives? I hear that from a few sources, but I haven't seen any proof nor correlation to back these claims.

There is NO reason NOT to give him a fair trail. They don't have to be unfair to convict him because he damn well did some very bad things.

Governments around the world do very bad things all the time and I don't see them being convicted for it.

Let me translate:

"If we could, we would hunt down Edward Snowden, extradite him, give him a rigged trial for treason, and sentence him to life in prison or execution if he weren't hiding in Russia. He should accept that and come home to it."

Good translation.

Our government is so incredibly and completely corrupt and dishonest, but he's the bad guy.

Something people need to understand that if Snowden didn't do it someone else would have. People would have found out. Snowden though hasn't hurt anybody. He's only hurt a lot of people and organizations credibility.

The NSA was shoveling so much shit around that somebody was bound to smell it.

Wow, really?

He grabbed that info and ran. He found he had no where to run to and made a deal with the devil and gave up all that classified to a foreign nation who is frequently at odds with his country.

He is not wanted dead by our government, he is wanted alive and well to answer for his crimes in court. He can come back, he just has to face trial for his actions. Hey, a Jury get's to decide this thing not the government. The world isn't on it's ear just because it's Ed Snowden going to the stand. And he isn't safer in Russia, he think's he is safer in Russia. But what happens when Snowden is forgotten, when he is of no more use as an embarrassment to the USA? What happens to Ed when the only nugget left that he has to tell, is that he did give all that data to the Russians for an open door out of the cold? You think the Russians will leave him alone to confess to the world or do you think they will quietly shut him up so the USA will never know for sure what he gave them and what he didn't? Sure, he's safer.

I highly doubt he would get a fair trial. Some NSA agents have even said they want him dead and probably would do it too and their rank is probably high enough that they would not get in trouble for it either. Either way even if he gets a "fair" trial he'd end up in jail as what he did was illegal. Not that that matters, the government is the enemy and they are the ones that determine what's legal and not, you can't go by that to determine if something is actually right. What he did may have been illegal but it was a favour to everyone. It may not fix the problem but it at least lets people know it's there in first place.

people who trust the military/intelligence industrial complex are laughable. I really laughed out loud at some of these responses.

the president is like a janitor to the people in these agencies. they do not give a fuck about him. presidents come and go. these people are lifers in the most powerful system of influence ever assembled in the known universe. republican or democrat, it does not matter who you think you elected, because none of them will oppose their one true god. I think probably 2 congressmen out of the entire congress spoke out about the government breaking the law.

yes, the military industrial complex has broken the law, and we know ONLY because of snowden. that makes him a legitimate whistlerblower owed protections which he has not received because he blew the whistle on the people who dispense the protections.

the people who support the government instead of whistleblowers are traitors to the founders and their constitution. you and your chosen brand of authoritarian corruption insult everything the united states was founded to become. you are stooges, pigs and lambs.

Dude, the lawyers select the jury. So half the jury is selected by the prosecution and half by the defense.

I think it's hilarious, after the way things went with Bradley Manning, that so many of you think the government is going to railroad Snowden after the way they handled Manning.

I'm sorry, but how does that really stop them. Now, I won't claim to know everything regardin jury selection, but do the lawyers call these people up? Not as far as I know. And I think the jurors just answers questions... I doubt the questioner really goes to track down the info to certify them. But if they do, please correct me on it.

As for Manning... IIRC, he's the guy who released info to Wikileaks that had some info on open operations right? I'm not that well versed on his case. Though I did hear his case was pretty bad, not much past that though. But I don't have much of an opinion on him, since I know way less on him, and I won't even claim to know a great deal on Snowden.

There is no protocol for this sort of thing, I feel for the guy. Why does anything have to be done about him?

Snowden should surrender right after Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld surrender to the world court for their conviction on war crimes.

In the other parts in the world this might sound right but still in America a lot of things are justified by their own interest for that reason alone you could say something about Saddam Hussein which was "everyone's ally" against Iran until governments change and he made the mistake of attacking certain US darlings in the middle east and suddenly he became the monster who gassed the Kurdish people. In a moments notice things shift and sadly American politics is not something you should retroactively pursuit in this manner because that cause a lot more harm then good.

Either way even if he gets a "fair" trial he'd end up in jail as what he did was illegal.
This is exactly correct. I'm confused why some people in this thread are arguing that Snowden should come back and stand trial and let the jury sort it out.

There's nothing to sort out. The jury will be instructed to find him guilty of the statutes he broke and then they'll find him guilty. The jury isn't going to go off the rails and do something like jury nullification for someone the government has branded a traitor. Juries will be asked did he or didn't he, not should he or shouldn't he.

Let me translate:

"If we could, we would hunt down Edward Snowden, extradite him, give him a rigged trial for treason, and sentence him to life in prison or execution if he weren't hiding in Russia. He should accept that and come home to it."

Which is what he deserves...

By denying that traitor to return home he's getting his sentence freezing in some 3rd world hole.

He'll be kicking back penea colettas poolside in the Caymans with 'book deal' that will be the supposed legitimate source of his income.

If you sign a NDA with an employer, you can still disclose evidence of criminal activity. I guess that doesn't count if your employer is public.

TS clearance contracts are very clear.
Your going to see shit you don't agree with.
You promise not to talk about this shit forever and you get the job.
Sign here.
That's what it means to -> Serve
Bite that hand and the dog is going to have your day.
Don't make deals with the devil unless your willing to give up at least part of your soul.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Snowden is a national hero, nothing more - nothing less.

If you believe that then you need to go live with him. Snowden is a traitor. Nothing more - nothing less. He deserves a firing squad for his actions. He intentionally got the job position he was in because he intended to steal the data and release it. This wasn't simply "what the fuck is this? I need to get this out to the public." It was "I'm gonna stick it to the US Government so i'm going to get this job, steal the data, and release it to the world."

Snowden damaged the U.S. far more then most people realize. The EU is plenty pissed we were spying on them and they have evidence to prove it. Go look up the "Safe Harbor" laws with exporting and doing business the EU. Many of our "allies" in the EU are holding that over our head now because of this d-bag. If they wanted to they could destroy our economy overnight by revoking it because it would stop us from doing any business in the EU.

If you believe that then you need to go live with him. Snowden is a traitor. Nothing more - nothing less. He deserves a firing squad for his actions. He intentionally got the job position he was in because he intended to steal the data and release it. This wasn't simply "what the fuck is this? I need to get this out to the public." It was "I'm gonna stick it to the US Government so i'm going to get this job, steal the data, and release it to the world."

Snowden damaged the U.S. far more then most people realize. The EU is plenty pissed we were spying on them and they have evidence to prove it. Go look up the "Safe Harbor" laws with exporting and doing business the EU. Many of our "allies" in the EU are holding that over our head now because of this d-bag. If they wanted to they could destroy our economy overnight by revoking it because it would stop us from doing any business in the EU.

We got caught spying on our allies. Where mad because we got caught doing it. Not because it was wrong. Its the same argument about the government spying on its citizens. The question should be weather or not that is legal under the constitution. But where more worried about punishing Snowden for releasing documents that are never coming back.

1. Rigged trial? So you think the government controls what juries think? Interesting.
2. He did intentionally break the law.
3. We let him go scott free?... Then do we let all espionage go free? We then set a precedent that if you feel your doing the right thing then go ahead and break the law.
4. I would be interested in fighting for him and assisting him financially if he did return for trial. I would also think it would be interesting to see what a jury would think about all of this.
5. He released a mountain of information without reading it or verifying who he was hurting or getting killed. If he really cared (as much as he says) he wouldn't of let it out in that manner.
6. I do believe that he was distraught by what he found out about our government and he wanted to do something about it, but it does seem like he had this plan before he was hired. That concerns me. Who does he really represent? China? Russia? us?

This gets really complicated fast as he isn't all snow white. But he's not all evil either. So I can't be all for him and all against him. I'm "more" for him and "less" against him. But that is a case by case basis. If more information came out during a trial I might lean further one way or another.

It is suspicious who he ran too.

Firstly, we have no evidence that he has provided secret data to foreign governments.

He exposed unconstitutional activities of domestic U.S. surveillance by the NSA, and thanks to what we are aware of because of him, at least it is now part of the public debate.

In my humble opinion he is a fucking hero, sacrificing himself for the greater good of letting the people know the evils their government are doing to them.

I wouldn't just drop any charges against him, I would award him a presidential medal of freedom!

Snowden is a hero. Stop rewriting history. He didn't get a job to steal information. He tried to go to his superiors multiple times. After being ignored he went to the press. The US should not have been spying on their allies or doing the illegal things snowden caught them doing.
If the US had not been doing illegal things then snowden couldn't have disclosed it. Also this shined a light on how real spies were probably gathering information because the NSA's own security was extremely lax.
Keep burying your head in the sand and chant nationalistic slogans.

Snowden broke the law. Many times and in many ways. If he returned to the US the only way he would not be going to federal PMITA prison is with a presidential pardon.

I'm glad the information on domestic surveillance was released, and terrified that it has been allowed to continue now that the programs are public knowledge. It's really a damning statement from our elected leaders how far we have fallen that a one-off attack 14 years ago has convinced us to forsake our "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!" motto and replace it with something like "Safety through knowledge: The more big government knows, the less you have to fear!*"

* Fear of government excluded. Some civil rights may not apply. Laws do not apply to government. Please do not resist. Resistance is futile.

WTF?! You have a problem with this guy exposing the information, but not the fact that the government wasn't supposed to be doing this kind of shit in the first place? You're damn right the EU is holding this over our heads because our government fucked up and got caught. By this logic then adultery is perfectly fine as long as your spouse never finds out and even if they did they shouldn't be mad at you because you fully intended to keep it a secret from them?

We live in a representative republic based upon the premise that the government operates with the consent of the governed. We are not supposed to live in fear of our government. The government is not supposed to run amok doing whatever it damn well pleases with or without our approval or even knowing about the systems which have been put in place. An executive order authorizing an unjust action does not mean that it is appropriate and now that the procedures have been disclosed, we the people should have the opportunity to voice our approval or disapproval of the continued operation of such programs. If our elected representatives were doing their jobs they would be dragging people before congress and asking them tough questions, then heads should roll in these agencies until they are once again in line with the will of the people.

He intentionally got the job position he was in because he intended to steal the data and release it. This wasn't simply "what the fuck is this? I need to get this out to the public." It was "I'm gonna stick it to the US Government so i'm going to get this job, steal the data, and release it to the world."

[CITATION NEEDED]

Please and thanks.

We live in a representative republic based upon the premise that the government operates with the consent of the governed. We are not supposed to live in fear of our government. The government is not supposed to run amok doing whatever it damn well pleases with or without our approval or even knowing about the systems which have been put in place. An executive order authorizing an unjust action does not mean that it is appropriate and now that the procedures have been disclosed, we the people should have the opportunity to voice our approval or disapproval of the continued operation of such programs. If our elected representatives were doing their jobs they would be dragging people before congress and asking them tough questions, then heads should roll in these agencies until they are once again in line with the will of the people.

Why the hell is it SO difficult for people to understand this...Our government is not some Godly entity who can do whatever it wants without consequence.

Let me translate:

This is exactly what the White House is saying. They're hardly even trying to hide it.

Back