White House Opposes RIAA-based Copyright Bill

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though the White House has voiced strong opposition to a bill backed by the recording industry that would let federal prosecutors file civil lawsuits against p2p file sharers. According to the news story, the letter sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee amounts to a veto threat and said the bill was "objectionable on constitutional grounds."

The two-page letter said that copyright owners already have plenty of legal methods to target infringers, including seeking injunctions, impounding infringing materials, recovering actual damages plus statutory damages, and, in some cases, obtaining attorney's fees.

I know there are some of you that just can’t control yourselves when it comes to talking politics....so

PLEASE

...limit your comments to the subject at hand, the opposition and veto threat to this RIAA-based bill. Thanks!

I know there are some of you that just can’t control yourselves when it comes to talking politics....so

PLEASE

...limit your comments to the subject at hand, the opposition and veto threat to this RIAA-based bill. Thanks!

I give it 8 responses after this one. :(

On topic, civili prosectuion by the government seems a bad step in any way shape or form given the lower requirements for conviction.

Basically the White House is telling the RIAA and the House Judiciary Committee that the Federal Government with respect to Dept. of Justice/Attorney Generals Office will not become the prosecution wing for the RIAA as a matter of civil proceedings.

Awesome news... I will give the current administration props on this.. good work guys...

[RIP]Zeus;1033077245 said:
Awesome news... I will give the current administration props on this.. good work guys...

This. Call bush whatever you want, the white house is saying no to being a slave, at least in this, to big media.

Good. I'm glad they are standing firm. The last thing we need is more big government power that overextends it's reach into our lives.

This. Call bush whatever you want, the white house is saying no to being a slave, at least in this, to big media.

It's not a matter of who's admin it is... It's the Current Admin.. and we all know who runs it.. I was just pointing out, that it's the administration that has said "fuck you" and not "Bush's Administration"

Reason why i said somthing like this. Was cause i am tired of all the blame on one person... when it truely way more than one person.. But anyways back on topic.

The Bush administration kicked the RIAA in the nuts...

[RIP]Zeus;1033077277 said:
It's not a matter of who's admin it is... It's the Current Admin.. and we all know who runs it.. I was just pointing out, that it's the administration that has said "fuck you" and not "Bush's Administration"

Reason why i said somthing like this. Was cause i am tired of all the blame on one person... when it truely way more than one person.. But anyways back on topic.

The Bush administration kicked the RIAA in the nuts...

I was agreeing with you friend.

I think the RIAA has been out of line for years...the only good thing they ever did was set a standard for phonograhp equalization. After that...they are all bullshit.

I (being thoroughly Canadian) never EVER thought I'd say this:

Go White House.

Now if we can only get rid of George W. jr. up here.

hahaha what a bunch of power-hungry bastards

good thing someone put the RIAA in their place.

I was agreeing with you friend.

Ahhh... sorry i'm little busy packing up and getting rdy to ship out for Boot Camp :D

Joined the Air Force... So yes.. my typing and thinking is somewhere else.. But thnx anyways :D

I have heard it said that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Wonder what the other time GW got something right was?

Ya'll missed the main reason for the letter and implied veto.
It really has less to do with the RIAA and more to do with separation of power between the branches of government.
The bill would create a new office within the White House; Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator (IPEC). Appointments would have to be approved by the Senate. It's not the job of the Senate to create Administration positions, nor do they have the authority to do so.

I have heard it said that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

When he didn't officially declare war on anybody.

If I'm not mistaken, the Oval Office cannot change hands when the country is in a state of war.

For me, it's the Energy Policy Act of 2005. It pretty much guarantees my job due to our company now having the funding for a new nuclear plant that is scheduled to go up in the next few years after approved by the NRC.

The White House has done the right thing in this case. There is no reason the government should be helping pay the music/movie industry's tab. If this bill passed, it would open the door for other industries to step in and get their pound of flesh so-to-speak.

I can only hope that the next oncoming administration will continue to rule in the same manner. I have said for years that the RIAA/MPAA's lawsuits have been dubious at best since they are using the copyright law in a manner in which it wasn't designed. As such they have turned the judicial system into a giant cash register to fill their pockets with ill-gained money.

I can only hope that the next oncoming administration will continue to rule in the same manner. I have said for years that the RIAA/MPAA's lawsuits have been dubious at best since they are using the copyright law in a manner in which it wasn't designed. As such they have turned the judicial system into a giant cash register to fill their pockets with ill-gained money.
That's one reason I really fear Joe Biden. :(

He might just throw him out before the election if he keeps making goofy statements like he's made over the past week. :p

I think the RIAA has been out of line for years...the only good thing they ever did was set a standard for phonograhp equalization. After that...they are all bullshit.

Best thing I read all day :p

When he didn't officially declare war on anybody.

If I'm not mistaken, the Oval Office cannot change hands when the country is in a state of war.

Unless I missed a point in the constution, it can. :) It certainly did when FDR died and Truman took over.

Bravo. I don't care who is in office, I do however care that this is the type of news we need.

Must say I'm surprised. I think a good portion is that they don't want the economy getting worse than what it already is, massive amounts of $$ for the RIAA's bullshit wouldn't help matters, aside from the obvious fact that they're just greedy low-lifes to begin with. Oh well I won't get into to economy issue, the Bush admin. seems to be mucking that up already here recently, although it's arguably a hard call... sigh, I need to play some Crysis Wars.

you mean the government made a good decision for once?? NO WAY!! Is it April 1st already?? or is anytime of the year a good time to troll?? :p

In the entire year of 2008 there are only two things that show me there's some analytical skills and fact based intelligence left in the executive branch of our government.

This is one of them.

I'm not applauding yet. How about taking down the ridiculous 100+ years hold on copyright for fair use? Even 30 years is stretching it for what should be public domain.

In the entire year of 2008 there are only two things that show me there's some analytical skills and fact based intelligence left in any branch of our government.

fixed

yay for bush and congress and their what...9% approval ratings?

Bravo. I don't care who is in office, I do however care that this is the type of news we need.

QFT

It's good to see this type of action taken to combat the seemingly out-of-control RIAA.

fixed

yay for bush and congress and their what...9% approval ratings?

how can you be in power with a 9% approval rating?? in any other country thats about the point where somebody lops of your head....

Back