White House Confirms 'Spearphishing' Intrusion

HardOCP News

[H] News
Chinese hackers gained access to computers in the White House because someone fell for a spearphishing trick? That's just lovely. :eek:

The White House has confirmed that one of its internal computer networks -- reportedly a military office in charge of the president's communications -- has been targeted in a successful "spearphishing" attack. Hackers with ties to China's government had recently breached an unclassified "system used by the White House Military Office for nuclear commands," including the so-called nuclear football.

Hackers with ties to China's government had recently breached an unclassified "system used by the White House Military Office for nuclear commands," including the so-called nuclear football.
Yes, less leave networks used for communications with regards to nuclear weapons unclassified. Thats brilliant.

the thing i wonder is how do they know it is hackers with ties of china's government. are they just playing the blame game?

maybe some hacker hacked into a computer in china and used that to hack into the white house computer.

Yes, less leave networks used for communications with regards to nuclear weapons unclassified. Thats brilliant.

If you read the article closely, it look like more generic sensationalism.
"... who accessed the computer network used by the White House Military Office, the president's military office in charge of some of the government's most sensitive communications, including strategic nuclear commands"

It sounds like they hacked a NIPR (unclassified, normal open internet use computer) computer that just so happens to be used by the people they work with the nuclear commands. It sounds to be no different then the hackers breaking into the same groups home computers. Nothing remotely similar to nuclear commands is going to be going over an unclassified network, much less anything other than a fully stand alone network.

Someone please explain to me why we do business with this Communist country?

Oh, that's right. We are an official subsidiary of China these days :(

Hell, I'm surprised they even confirmed such an event happening. That's not our govt way of doing stuff. They deny deny deny ;)

Might have only announced the event to push for tighter internet controls, otherwise this would be nothing to worry about.

US Government Computer Security < The words that make up this sentence CANCEL each other out because of n00bs in charge!!!!

Edit: ... it looks like more generic sensationalism.
computer that just so happens to be used by the people that work with the nuclear commands. It sounds to be no different then the hackers breaking into the same groups' home computers. Nothing remotely similar to nuclear commands is going to be going over an unclassified network, much less anything other than a fully stand alone network.

No, i think its more the advantages we get out of it, both lifestyle and economic wise.

maybe some hacker hacked into a computer in china and used that to hack into the white house computer.

Stop being unreasonable. You are saying that IP Addresses might not reveal the exact person. That is rediculous and would defeat much of our court precedence. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Nuclear Football BTW

nuclear-football-inside.jpg

Meh, its almost certain boomer captains have the ability to authorize a launch in case of massive damage to the US.

You seriously think they'd give a naval captain the ability to launch nuclear weapons on his own just in case shit hits the fan?

According to a co-worker who served on an SSBN, there are three keys to launch:
1) Captains indicator panel key (controlled by the president via stratcom message)
2) Weapons panel key (controlled by weapons officer/ assistant weapons officer/ captain)
3) Gas generator key (used to arm gas generator to actually blast the missile out of the boat - controlled by weapons officer/ assistant weapons officer).

Behold, the three safes in Missile Control.
http://i.imgur.com/hhn4v.jpg

I heard candidate A said this was all Candidate B's fault, and if Candidate A were elected, that this wouldn't happen. Do you think it's true?

Whew, it's a good thing they only got the nuclear football and not the nuclear table-tennis racket!

No, i think its more the advantages we get out of it, both lifestyle and economic wise.

Yeah, its doing wonders for the economy. Just look around. Yes it saves you $5 on a toaster today at the cost of a piece of your economy gone tomorrow. Well its tomorrow.

Yeah, its doing wonders for the economy. Just look around. Yes it saves you $5 on a toaster today at the cost of a piece of your economy gone tomorrow. Well its tomorrow.

Yeah right, exactly.

I mean, its not like China is going through a huge recession themselves too.

Don't forget about Cuba, Venezuela, and Russia. :p

I find it hard to believe that the US isn't doing the same thing. Since we're not reading about how US hackers are breaking into Chinese gov't military networks nearly as often as they break into ours, it makes it seem like those damned Chinese are just better at it than us. :p

You seriously think they'd give a naval captain the ability to launch nuclear weapons on his own just in case shit hits the fan?

According to a co-worker who served on an SSBN, there are three keys to launch:
1) Captains indicator panel key (controlled by the president via stratcom message)
2) Weapons panel key (controlled by weapons officer/ assistant weapons officer/ captain)
3) Gas generator key (used to arm gas generator to actually blast the missile out of the boat - controlled by weapons officer/ assistant weapons officer).

Behold, the three safes in Missile Control.
http://i.imgur.com/hhn4v.jpg

Not on his own, but with the other command officers, yes.
Scenario: Prez is in the white house. White house, Prez and nuclear football gets nuked by a smuggled in nuke. US is incapable of a response? I don't think so. You think they haven't a plan for this contingency?

I find it hard to believe that the US isn't doing the same thing. Since we're not reading about how US hackers are breaking into Chinese gov't military networks nearly as often as they break into ours, it makes it seem like those damned Chinese are just better at it than us. :p

What makes you think we aren't? Stuxnet anyone?

It has to do with several things:

Our economy relies on it. Think of it this way: $50 T-shirt or $5 T-shirt? Exaggerated, but it's the biggest dilemma we have. China provides cheap labor, American companies enjoy the lower price of goods or supplies bought from China then sell them here for a profit. Can't do that if a lot of it was 100% made in the US. Our labor is expensive, and if everything is made here in the US, the cost of every product and service will rise. Costs of living and earned income will have to increase at the same time, and companies with million dollar executives will NOT do that or it cuts into their "bottom line" and buying that next million dollar jet, more or less.

Why do you think a good portion of vehicles on the road are built in Mexico with only final assembly in the US? If everything in a car was made in the US besides the electronics, that $25,000 car or truck would probably be closer to $40,000.

That's the problem of globalization-- cheap labor is a boon to American business and consumerism, but at the same time a detriment to the American economy. It boils down to this thought:
Would a company hire a unionized/non-unionized American making minimum wage or two to five times that; or will they be more inclined to hire the illegal immigrant, or the Mexican maquiladora working in a free trade zone, the Indian worker in a sweatshop, or the Chinese employee working 12 hour shifts that get paid much less than minimum wage?​
Hey, we as a nation are a very hypocritical nation-- we want more American jobs, complain they're sent overseas like China or complain we hire too many illegals for low paying jobs, yet will not be willing to pay for an increase in the price of goods or services if they were 100% made in the US.

Our labor is expensive, no way around it unless we go back to pre-1930s America with no job regulations and no minimum wages.

China's labor is cheap along with labor from India and other places that does these manufacturing (and repetitive) tasks for pennies on the dollar.​
Our debt is tied to China's economy like gripping us by the balls. It has to do with something about China buying off our debt or that the sustainability of our economy relies on doing business with China or our economy will falter. Simple as that.

Take China out of it, tariff them to death on imported Chinese goods, and watch as our own products and services rise in costs. As a result, consumers can no longer afford them after a certain amount of time. Lack of goods and services means lack of revenue for US companies. Lack of revenue, lack of money to pay for their employees or hire news ones. Lack of tax revenue as a result. Since the economy is cyclic in nature, the entire economy fails.

Nobody would want this, but what can we do if we're not willing to increase worker pay for increase in price of goods sold if everything was 100% US made?

It's happening now in a sense, but it'st mostly the US government's fault on over-taxation of US companies and taxpayers alike. But, the government relies on tax revenue to survive, but has to be done right. That's the problem for many decades now and maybe since Reagan's administration or Bush, Sr.'s administration. The US government is doing everything wrong and Americans are voting the wrong people into office. We're like mindless sheep swayed by media and propaganda not thinking with our heads. And, this is the result of that-- getting bitten in the ass by our own government.​
China has invested heavily in certain areas of the US economy. Without those investments, I don't think certain areas would have even survived or started. It's kind of ironic that rich Chinese businessmen would invest in a US business or enterprise more than most American millionaires. It's honestly said to think about that.​
These are generally the sad but cold truth of why we still do business with this "Communist country."

Are you an idiot? Google it yourself. XO, second in command, etc.
:rolleyes:

That would be a Commanding Officer. :eek: The fact that you would refer to a CO as a "command" officer shows that you have no understanding of our military.

I am well aware of that, but how is that relevant if the nuclear football is gone or the command and communication functions of the military are completely disabled?

If you were well aware of that, you wouldn't ask an asinine question like "BUT WHAT IF TEH PREZ DIES!"

STRATCOM doesn't magically disappear when the president dies.

That would be a Commanding Officer. :eek: The fact that you would refer to a CO as a "command" officer shows that you have no understanding of our military.

Minor correction since I fail at proof reading my own stuff. An XO would be an Executive Officer. A CO would be a Commanding Officer.

Back