White House Calls for Government IT to Adopt Cloud Services

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The White House said that the government needs a major overhaul of IT systems and should take steps to better protect data and accelerate efforts to use cloud-based technology. “Difficulties in agency prioritization of resources in support of IT modernization, ability to procure services quickly, and technical issues have resulted in an unwieldy and out-of-date federal IT infrastructure.”

The President in April signed an executive order creating a new technology council to overhaul the U.S. government’s information technology systems. The report said the federal government must eliminate barriers to using commercial cloud-based technology. Government agencies often pay dramatically different prices for the same IT item, the report said, sometimes three or four times as much.

NO the USA government DOES NOT need cloud services. They DO however need central servers that their departments can leverage.

"Cloud services" are best applied when you need rapid fluctuations in computational power, which is RARELY the case with the USA governmental needs.

And even still, they should build their own. Why? Because of the regulatory standards they need to follow, and things like FOIAA. Their compliance makes cloud services a really bad fit, and even still, over a long period of time, a waste of tax payer money.

"We don't like our computer systems. I hear people talking about 'the cloud'. That's what we need, the cloud!"

Hopefully I'm ready this wrong, but the blurb makes it sound like they want to throw government data in the public cloud to order to save money.

Security, and cloud... these two words are NOT SYNONYMOUS you flipping MORON's in our leadership. STOP USING BUZZWORDS YOU DON'T F(*&*(&%^( UNDERSTAND!!

People never seem to understand that "The Cloud" really just means "someone else's server". It certainly has its uses but the last thing we should be doing with government data is putting it on a server that we cannot control and have no idea what else is being done on it. The government has the resources to properly secure their systems if they are willing to spend the time and effort on it.

Considering how much they flipped a shit over a non government controlled email server I imagine they shouldn't do this either. Morons.

Now I have heard it all.
Next news headline: Cloud service that hosts the GOV databases has been breached and all access accounts have been compromised....

The report said the federal government must eliminate barriers to using commercial cloud-based technology.

NO the USA government DOES NOT need cloud services. They DO however need central servers that their departments can leverage.

Note, the EO states eliminating barriers to "Cloud Technology" not "Cloud Services." Huge difference.

I was at the AWS conference a few weeks ago. I believe an AWS executive mentioned how they have datacenters just for the government now. Based on previous IT related stuff, they better outsource to a company that knows what they are doing as our government has demonstrated time after time that they do not.
I also know that government contracts are usually fat and lucrative. So, maybe they should outsource the department that is able to make the decision?

Yeah worst idea ever as everyone else has said. I've worked in classified environments before and even computern monitors which have displayed classified information become classified at the level of the information.

Trump is truly an ignorant moron.

Considering all the brouhaha relating to misinformation or misunderstanding, it's no big surprise. Sooo many stating that the government shouldn't regulate this or that, well what do you know, suddenly they think they shouldn't manage their own data.

Last edited:
Back