White House Calls for End to ISS Funding in 2025

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The latest draft budget proposal suggests that the United States will no longer fund the International Space Station beyond 2025. The US has spent $87 billion on the station since its inception, and NASA is currently contributing $3 to $4 billion a year.

The International Space Station—a habitable artificial satellite in low Earth orbit—has been circling us for two decades and is expected to be used for another ten years, at least. The annual cost (about $125 billion) is shared between all participating countries: Canada (CSA), Japan (JAXA), Russia (Roscosmos), the United States, and 13 members of the European Space Agency (ESA).

Exactly, and first thing we need to do is attack the biggest leaches: Medicare and Social Security. Because screw the elderly, they're all going to be dead soon.

We shall see if you still feel that way in your 50's after paying in social security taxes your entire working life. If the politicians would have kept their MF'ing hands out of the cookie jar in years past then social security would in great shape today.. Don't get me started on this subject.....

Exactly, and first thing we need to do is attack the biggest leaches: Medicare and Social Security. Because screw the elderly, they're all going to be dead soon.

Better be prepared to crack open your bank account and pay back all the FICA tax everyone has payed in, plus interest. Now leeches like food stamps, rent assistance, energy assistance, earned income tax credit, and basic welfare are the real targets that need to be cut.

Actually, the FRAUD that accompanies those as well as the FRAUD that accompanies all the other welfare programs needs to be fixed.
Medicare/Medicaid fraud is outrageous. I see that shit every day.

Oh you don't have a ride to the clinic and don't want to pay the THREE FUCKING DOLLAR copay? Just call 911 and get an ambulance!

Better be prepared to crack open your bank account and pay back all the FICA tax everyone has payed in, plus interest. Now leeches like food stamps, rent assistance, energy assistance, earned income tax credit, and basic welfare are the real targets that need to be cut.
I think we get into weird territory calling food stamp recipients leeches, seeing as how the majority of them already have jobs and are working.

Fuck that nonsense, screw over the non contributors first (and any elderly that fall into that category).

Edit left out contributiors.

Last edited:
My welfare reform package.

1. ONLY eligible if you are REALLY unable to work
2. For unemployment, you MUST be actively be looking for a job.
3. A regular/random audit can happen to you if you are a welfare recipient.
--a. If you are paying for cable or any other TV service (anything above basic internet access), your welfare is cut by that amount.
--b. If you are buying alcohol, your welfare is cut by that amount.
--c. If you are buying tobacco products, your welfare is cut by that amount.
--d. If you have a vehicle that is more than basic transportation (I am sick of seeing welfare recipients driving around in Escalades, BMWs, Mercedes, etc), your welfare is cut off completely unless you can prove that you purchased it legally for a very low amount.
--e. If you have a positive drug test result, your welfare is cut off immediately and you are banned from re-applying for at least 2 years.
--f. If you are a drug dealer, your welfare is cut off immediately and you are banned from re-applying for life.
--g. If you commit medicare/medicaid fraud, you are cut off immediately and are banned from welfare for life.

That right there would cut out most of the fraud IF the government would actually implement and follow through with those rules.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time. I bet it just pisses you off everytime you look at your paycheck doesn't it?

You're in luck though, the stupid usually wears off in your mid 30's.

Guys this not a bad thing.

The problem with the ISS is that like any experiment its beginning to get old and inundated and time to replace it with much newer focus on a better larger platform. There is more to the defunding in a decade than... oh look at Trump destroying the space programme.

If you listen to what he said he wants to bring NASA back to its full glory using a smarter more economically streamlined approach with more allocation of research and funding being contributed by society at large.

The time of exclusive govt. Space programs are coming to an end. Its tine for society to advance space travel with the assistance of govt. Not exclusive and only exclusively gov.

Please think about this before you refer to the played out and absolutely childish nbc cnn hln talking points.

Somehow one of you will call him racist for this sigh... never fails.

Sad and stupid.
Why?
The original EOL for the ISS was 2020. It has already been extended to 2024. Them saying they plan to cut funding in 2025 sounds like they intend to operate it until 2024 and then decommission in 2025. Politics aside, this was the expected outcome here. This would have been the likely outcome regardless of administration.

Time for another space station maybe. Though I suspect it will take a decade to figure out how to pay for a replacement, and who to include in it's construction..

Last edited:
This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time. I bet it just pisses you off everytime you look at your paycheck doesn't it?

You're in luck though, the stupid usually wears off in your mid 30's.
I'm pretty sure he intended that to be a sarcastic remark. I mean most people don't openly advocate for the elderly to die, though I guess anything's possible with our current political climate.

Draft budget proposal for 7 years from now? Without the same president, but unfortunately probably the same career politicians in congress and the senate

Draft budget proposal for 7 years from now? Without the same president, but unfortunately probably the same career politicians in congress and the senate

Not uncommon for situations like this. Budgeting for projects like this on a year-by-year or even term-by-term basis is really inefficient. It makes sense to plan out things for multiple years. A new administration could change it but at least a plan is laid out.

Why is it stupid? Half of the people who criticize Trump and the right don't even know what's really going on. The life expectancy of the ISS has already be been extended.

Also, from a PR perspective, the ISS if boring.

Why does that matter? We went to the bloody Moon to get get better PR than the Russians. The technical achievements were secondary.

We shall see if you still feel that way in your 50's after paying in social security taxes your entire working life. If the politicians would have kept their MF'ing hands out of the cookie jar in years past then social security would in great shape today.. Don't get me started on this subject.....

Woosh!

I'm just going to blanket respond to everyone above to what travisty, RogueTadhg, tunatime,
Chunder, and Ocellaris already picked up what I was putting down:

S-A-R-C-A-S-M

It's called humor and being funny which is something many of you kiddo's desperately need. But I got just the right description for you young lads to help you out, my man Patrice RIP breaking down funny:

Last edited:
Not a bad thing. If we would like to sustain any other crewed outpost or BEO exploration mission, the ISS must end.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
^THE FUCKING TRUTH...

Cutting military spending by a fraction of a single percent would double those savings...

But that would be silly... Right?
Whether it would be silly or not to cut military spending by a fraction of a % has what exactly to do with cutting funding for a space station that has reached EOL?
Again EOL for ISS was 2020, it was extended to 2024, and they have drafted a funding proposal until 2025.

Cutting military spending by a fraction of a single percent would double those savings...

But that would be silly... Right?

Yeah, they eat up a huge portion of the annual budget and the wars are accountable for about an estimated $7T of the national debt that ballooned under Obama yet most of America worships the ground they walk on.

My coworker makes like $140k/yr and then collects his military retirement pension (for life) as soon as he got out at ~40 years old. Why don't they just make it so that he has to wait until 65 like the rest of the country? Add in the Tricare for life also and he makes off like a bandit. He pays $40/mo for him and his 3 children.

I work in federal contracting and a ton of the guys there are ex-military and collect some sort of disability for the rest of their life - while gainfully employed making 6 figures give or take.

Many of them say the military is wasteful as hell, there's tons of rampant abuse and fraud for VA disability benefits (sleep apnea is big one people "claim" in order to get free money for life), and a whole lot of "hurry up and wait".

Not a bad thing. If we would like to sustain any other crewed outpost or BEO exploration mission, the ISS must end.

True. It has had a good run. Lots of exciting things have been done there, and the things we learned about building things in space will pay off in the future.

The ISS would not be a good platform for use as a launching point for deeper space missions or for orbital spacecraft construction, we need a better platform for that at a higher orbit. We will probably need multiple launches to get enough equipment into orbit before we could make a shot for Mars, and if it takes a few days that would be ok to sit in orbit and wait, but if it takes weeks or months for a good set of launch windows to open, it would be nice to have a good space station as a staging point.

What would be nice would be to mothball it in orbit then be able to scavenge it for parts for a better station in higher orbit, things such as the robotic arms should be reusable.

Of course I am dreaming, but it would be nice to see it happen in my lifetime.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
I grew up planning on Social Security not being around. I know when I'm very old, it won't amount to anything. SS was a scam for the boomer generation... guess who is footing the bill for the boomers as they stop working, the younger generations. There is no SS "fund." All the tax collected is immediately spent on current recipients.

You'd fare much better putting that money in stocks.

I'm down with defunding the ISS of it means funding the lunar colony and/or Mars colony

Aren't a bunch of, at least perhaps the Russian Modules, set to be used in a New SS after decommissioning?

I grew up planning on Social Security not being around. I know when I'm very old, it won't amount to anything. SS was a scam for the boomer generation... guess who is footing the bill for the boomers as they stop working, the younger generations. There is no SS "fund." All the tax collected is immediately spent on current recipients.

You'd fare much better putting that money in stocks.

Or atleast a private retirement account (401k, etc).

I hate Trump, but this one I can't fault him for. Like others said it's an EOL thing. To keep it going would probably mean it becomes a maintenance monster. But if you really want to complain, do it to the original designers who gave it the limited life to begin with (they probably thought the 2020's sounded far away and we'd have a lot of new space stuff by then). It's EOL has already been extended once that I know of, but there are limits.

One of my professors was on the advisory board that recommended ending the flyable storage for the sr71. The thinking was that if money was being spent on that which could be used to fund the next big thing, it's better to cut the money and get the Sr72 sooner than havin a cold war relic that likely was never going to fly again anyways.

My welfare reform package.

1. ONLY eligible if you are REALLY unable to work
2. For unemployment, you MUST be actively be looking for a job.
3. A regular/random audit can happen to you if you are a welfare recipient.
--a. If you are paying for cable or any other TV service (anything above basic internet access), your welfare is cut by that amount.
--b. If you are buying alcohol, your welfare is cut by that amount.
--c. If you are buying tobacco products, your welfare is cut by that amount.
--d. If you have a vehicle that is more than basic transportation (I am sick of seeing welfare recipients driving around in Escalades, BMWs, Mercedes, etc), your welfare is cut off completely unless you can prove that you purchased it legally for a very low amount.
--e. If you have a positive drug test result, your welfare is cut off immediately and you are banned from re-applying for at least 2 years.
--f. If you are a drug dealer, your welfare is cut off immediately and you are banned from re-applying for life.
--g. If you commit medicare/medicaid fraud, you are cut off immediately and are banned from welfare for life.

That right there would cut out most of the fraud IF the government would actually implement and follow through with those rules.

oh look some one that has never used public assistance
this is how works atm other then the drug testing... and when it was tired they spent MILLIONS to catch THREE people so your looking at spending billions to catch maybe a few 100 people might as well just let them have the money any way

ummm... so this space station was only suppose to last until 2020 btw.. the 2025 is actually a 4 yr extension lols...

i don't know about you but I hardly want to be in a 20~yr old car let alone a 20+ year old space station...

i don't know about you but I hardly want to be in a 20~yr old car let alone a 20+ year old space station...

If your car had 32000 sq feet of habitable space and cost more than an aircraft carrier to build you'd probably take good care of it.

The station is in good shape and there's a lot of research that still hasn't been done. I hope they extend it another 4-8 years.

Not uncommon for situations like this. Budgeting for projects like this on a year-by-year or even term-by-term basis is really inefficient. It makes sense to plan out things for multiple years. A new administration could change it but at least a plan is laid out.

Congress banned the use of M-Year (Multi-Year) accounts to pay for government programs back in '92. Multi-year projects have to be allocated per-year.

Back