Whining from speakers with LSR305

equalme

Gawd
I just hooked up a pair of JBL LSR305 to the onboard audio of the Maximus Gene VIII. There is a very noticeable high pitch whine coming from the speakers anytime the computer is on. Any ideas?

The speakers sound wonderful and I'd hate to have to return them.

I just hooked up a pair of JBL LSR305 to the onboard audio of the Maximus Gene VIII. There is a very noticeable high pitch whine coming from the speakers anytime the computer is on. Any ideas?

The speakers sound wonderful and I'd hate to have to return them.
Sounds like you need a cleaner source (like a USB DAC) and/or shielded cables.

Could be the on-board audio is just noisy, could be other PC components (power or video cables usually) are causing interference depending on wiring setup.

If your motherboard has optical out buy a cheap optical DAC. Using optical isolates it from the PC and the noise won't be able to "follow" the signal path.

Sounds like you need a cleaner source (like a USB DAC) and/or shielded cables.

Could be the on-board audio is just noisy, could be other PC components (power or video cables usually) are causing interference depending on wiring setup.

Hmm..I guess I'll just have to troubleshoot. I would assume a premium mobo like the Gene VIII would have the on-board audio free of simple issues like that.

If your motherboard has optical out buy a cheap optical DAC. Using optical isolates it from the PC and the noise won't be able to "follow" the signal path.

The speakers do not have optical in. I am running these cables:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-Stereo-Breakout-10-Feet/dp/B005HGM1D6/ref=pd_bxgy_267_img_y

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
there is a lot of knee jerk suggestions to buy studio monitors on this particular forum..

which if fine and all.. except it isn't always the best idea.

has the op confirmed it is just the computer causing the issue? I have read a number posts about these jbl's with buzz / hum from the speakers themselves with no source hooked up.

the speakers only have balanced inputs which might be part of the problem, going from unbalanced to balanced ... i would suggest the op try a different cable (shorter if possible 6ft or so...if at all doable.)

I actually own something that would be perfect with those speakers a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2...gp%2BZL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

if you are going to use studio monitors w/ balanced inputs then something like the 2i2 w/ balanced outputs would make a lot of sense (imho)

i am about 99% sure what the previous poster was suggesting was something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Analo...UTF8&qid=1442330960&sr=1-1&keywords=optical+d

which u could try I suppose certainly

Of course they don't which is why I recommended you BUY a DAC with optical toslink input. It's impossible for the noise to travel that path since it's isolated from the source due to the digital signal going over fiber optics instead of conductive metal. Maybe an external USB DAC *might* work but it's still possible for the noise to travel through it since it's not isolated in the way that toslink is. I had the same problem you had when I bought my JBL LSR305's, I got nasty noise with on board audio. I had a DAC laying around so I did toslink optical out to DAC then to the LSR305's and the noise was gone. You don't need a fancy DAC a cheap one like Atarione listed or something like this Monoprice one would work just fine:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6884

there is a lot of knee jerk suggestions to buy studio monitors on this particular forum..

Well not everyone has room for 5 systems with receivers in their PC room like you LOL. ;) I can't do a receiver on my desktop setup, just no place for it between speakers and a 37" monitor. ;) Also the JBL LSR305's are an insane deal for brand new speakers that sound as good as they do with built in amps to boot, not to mention active is better than passive. I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again my JBL LSR305's cost me about $275 with a DAC and they do about 75% (kind of hard to quantify that) of what my MartinLogan ESL setup does and that's about $4500 with preamp w/ DAC and amp. The only other deal would be if people could score the used deals you do lol.

has the op confirmed it is just the computer causing the issue? I have read a number posts about these jbl's with buzz / hum from the speakers themselves with no source hooked up.

I've never seen reports of buzz with nothing hooked up, it's always with on board sound. There's a slight bit of hiss if you put your ear up to them with nothing hooked up but that's normal anyway (it is slightly louder than I'm used to hearing however it's inaudible past about a 6") but I think people tend to blow it out of proportion cuz they never noticed it before on other speakers or because people are sitting closer than they should.

Last edited:

Yes, cause they sound better than most competitively priced PC speakers, are usually more reliable (better construction) with better warranties; are typically easy to hook up and usually don't cause headaches. Monitors are also usually bi or tri amped.

I have read a number posts about these jbl's with buzz / hum from the speakers themselves with no source hooked up.

Most studio monitors "hum", since they're amped. The hum of the JBL', in my case, isn't even noticeable; unless ridiculously up close. I've only read about "buzzing" when there was a ground loop or the speakers were picking up interference; usually from a computer.

Well I ended up picking up a Schiit Modi 2 Uber. No problems now and the speakers sounds beautifully! Sounds so much fuller than the Audioengine A5 I had in the past.

What are you using for a volume control? Using a passive volume control or simply Windows' software volume control?

What are you using for a volume control? Using a passive volume control or simply Windows' software volume control?

Windows volume control. The Corsair K70 keyboard has a volume control which seems to work great.

Windows volume control. The Corsair K70 keyboard has a volume control which seems to work great.

Thanks.

I too have 2 x LSR305 + 1 x LSR310S on order. Should have them this coming week. Will be upgrading from Corsair SP2500 speakers.

Some more questions...

1. How far away from the wall is the rear of your LSR305 speakers?

2. How have you mounted them? On the desk, on stands, or using a speaker wall mount? Any pics?

Thanks.

I too have 2 x LSR305 + 1 x LSR310S on order. Should have them this coming week. Will be upgrading from Corsair SP2500 speakers.

Some more questions...

1. How far away from the wall is the rear of your LSR305 speakers?

2. How have you mounted them? On the desk, on stands, or using a speaker wall mount? Any pics?

I have the rears facing the window so a good 6-7". It's just sitting on the desk and I'm planning picking up foam isolators.

Low quality picture but here you go:
12074868_10156320139640556_2510979468020708598_n.jpg

Try putting something under the speakers, the sound will improve if you get them higher off the table surface. The tweeter should sit at the level of your ears optimally.

I went with ISOAcoustics stands, but they are pricey, $100/pair at Guitar Center. ( B&H Photo)
These put the tweeters at ear level for me. You can get angled foam stands but I didn't want them angled.
iso-acoustic-stands.jpg

A cheap alternative is a block of wood for each speaker with thin foam or rubber sheets between the speaker and block and between the block and the table, if you need them up a bit higher.

My 305' came with free isolation pads when I bought a pair from American musical supply. They also came with a free volume controller. I have them about 17-18 inches from the wall and angled towards my ears.

My 305' came with free isolation pads when I bought a pair from American musical supply. They also came with a free volume controller. I have them about 17-18 inches from the wall and angled towards my ears.

How much did you pay? Mine were $262 for the pair. I tried angling it but it wasn't that huge of a difference and I prefer the looks of them facing forward.

I paid about $240 on sale, or something.

Yeah, found the order receipt: $239.98

Back