Whine coming from PC when there's CPU usage..

roper512

Limp Gawd
Built a new computer recently and for some reason the more load on the CPU the louder the whine is.. It doesn't seem to effect the stability as I've played games for hours with no issues... It's a high pitched noise.

For example in windows, if I just let it idle, no sound right? The sound I move the mouse and until I stop moving it I hear a sound come from the computer as I move the mouse.. Weird.

In world of warcraft, If I'm looking at intense visuals and then move camera so I'm looking at the ground, the sound goes away.. Look back at the stuff and the sound comes back. Weird.

Have any of you experienced this and if so what's the cause? I'm not really concerned as long as it's not an indication of something bad. My specs are below:

e6600 conroe (overclocked to 3.4ghz currently (rock stable), working on 3.6)
heatsink - ultra-120 / AS5 thermal compound
cpu fan - s-flex 1200rpm model

eVGA 680i A1 revision
2gb g.skill memory ddr2-800
Silverstone OP1000 PSU

Thank you :)

Do you have speakers hooked up, could it be coming from those? My friend actually has a P4 machine that seems to whine when it's underload and he doesn't have speakers. It's quite odd. It doesn't seem to be related to the HDs either.

No speakers hooked up.. Sound is definately coming from inside the computer..

You have an 8800? Mine makes a whining noise when I run ATItool. Just a thought.

-Juce

There's a whole thread on this at Evga about the whining noise and the 680i chipset. You should check it out.

Do you have the url to this thread by chance?

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't an indication that there's something wrong with the hardware causing performance issues or whatnot..

w1retap said leaky caps on the motherboard, is this anything that could negatively effect performance or overclocking ability? If not I will just let it be :)

There's a whole thread on this at Evga about the whining noise and the 680i chipset. You should check it out.

Back