which Z77 motherboard are you already planning to get and why?

Got the ud5h. Would have gotten asus v pro but it's fricken $40 more expensive. Rather spend that money on getting a better power supply. Can't wait to build the whole rig with 3770k.

waiting on an asus z77 mitx board for my living room.
Also waiting for IB i3 35w cpu's, so i probably wont be building a htpc anytime soon :(

Modern processors don't use much more power than necessary, regardless of TDP. So for the same computing load, an i7 will probably draw slighlty less power than an i3 -- the larger i7 caches help, because access to L3 cache uses a lot less nergy than accessing off-die DDR3, and the larger i7 cache mean you go to DDR3 less often.

i3 is cheaper, but if money isn't the issue, there's very little reason to buy it.

I bought an MSI Z77A-GD55 - solid board, less junk I do not need, and an Intel gigabit LAN controller. Cooling is a Gelid Tranquillo Rev. B, and memory is 1.35v C9 DDR3-1600, so I don't need the beefier power conversion circuitry of more expensive boards.

Some other MB's bring some of the PCIe-3 lines to a third x16 slot -- I didn't like that, I want that third x16 PCIe socket to be PCIe-2.1.

Some other MB's provide more USB3 by using on-MB hubs -- I don't want that either, I'll provide my own hubs, than you.

And for me 2 SATAIII for the SSD and HDD and 4 SATAII for everything else is fine.

Audio is a none-issue, I wish I could ditch it: my audio goes out via HDMI through a pure digital signal path. But all the boards have analog audio. :(

Last edited:
Just ordered the MSI Z77A-GD65.. Had everything I needed at a good price. Wanted 8 sata conections, Intel onbard nic, Best onboard sound card ( since i'll be giving up my old pci x-fi as it doesn't have any PCI slots). All the review's I have read has it as the top OC of all the boards they reviewed. Did the highest with the lowest temps. Lowest temps with ivy bridge is a nice plus. It also looks sexy :)

^-- I've been running my Z77A-GD65 since saturday with 3770k and everything is going smoothly.

Only hiccup I ran into was when tweaking memory. I had to pull out 1 stick so it "redetected" my ram properly (mobo was showing code 55). But once I got everything dialed in it's been rock solid.

I posted my 4.5ghz bios settings in the other IB thread.

So looks like my Amazon order for the G1.Sniper 3 got back ordered for good (i.e. no more estimated delivery date). Oh well, the UD5H WB will suffice until the Sniper 3 is readily available. At that time i'll swap the UD5H & 2600k with the G1.Sniper 3 & a 3770k.

I went with the standard Asus P8P77-V Pro. Good enough for what I need it for and a few bucks cheaper than the Sabertooth.

Hey MSI Z77A-GD65 owners, question about fan control... How much control do you have over the PWM fan headers?

I got about about $370 to spend on a board. Just got my 3570k for cheap lol
I'm considering EVGA Z77 FTW
But after reading that you have to put your cards in slot 2 and 4 for cfx/sli for it to run at 16x/16x is kinda of a deal breaker for me. I plan to do get the ROG Xonar Phobeus to replace my Claro Halo. I'm kinda big into sound.
So my second option is Asus P8Z77 WS
My third option is to save money and go with ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77

I want to do 3 way cfx someday and jump into the watercooling game but I don't really know where to start lol :p

Lithuania sure is the best, someone is adjusting prices to be like that - would have 100% gotten Z77X-UD5H if it's price wasnt the same as sabertooth z77, the second option was asrock extreme6 but it was costing the same as p8z77-v pro... So my choice was clear - Asus p8z77-v pro :(

Last edited:
Anyone with a Z77X-UD5H have troubles getting into the bios? 2 different usb keyboards don't work unless i clear cmos then won't work until i do again. :confused::confused:

Anyone with a Z77X-UD5H have troubles getting into the bios? 2 different usb keyboards don't work unless i clear cmos then won't work until i do again. :confused::confused:
I read a review on newegg about a similar issue. he upgraded his bios and it was fixed...
Here's a quote from that review:
My G510 keyboard was not recognized by the bios that shipped with the board. After updating from version F4 to F5, everything was fine.

My G510 keyboard was not recognized by the bios that shipped with the board. After updating from version F4 to F5, everything was fine.

How do they propose you upgrade your BIOS without a way to interface with the computer?

Awaiting:

i5 3570K
MSI Z77A-GD55
Crucial M4 128
Corsair 8GB

For moms new PC... looking forward to see how it's going to run.

Last edited:
How do they propose you upgrade your BIOS without a way to interface with the computer?

I thought the same.. found i could do it in windows using @bios program but it didnt fix the issue at least bios F6 didnt

EDIT: downgraded to F5 and it worked. wow GG

Last edited:
I thought the same.. found i could do it in windows using @bios program but it didnt fix the issue at least bios F6 didnt

EDIT: downgraded to F5 and it worked. wow GG

Yeah, but, if it doesn't recognise your keyboard on boot, doesn't that mean it won't recognise your keyboard in Windows? Or is it one of those things where it'll register as a device but won't see it's a keyboard, but Windows will?

Got an Asus P8Z77 WS on my way. Expensive but it looks to have all the features I want: PS/2, good layout, Asus SSD caching, good overclocking abilities, no legacy PCI slots and the x1 PCI-E slot is rotated towards to bottom of the case.

I plan on picking up the Intel board. Intel makes quality gear, and I prefer to support USA based companies when it is feasible to do so. From what I've read, this is a solid board with good firmware.

I just watched a couple of youtube video introductions to the UEFI/BIOS with the Intel DZ77GA-70K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQUCfxKV83o

Really impressive. Looks clean, intuitive, powerful.

Some reviews I have seen have liked it the best of any UEFI of these new boards. To me, the UEFI/BIOS is an underrated feature that you don't appreciate until you reach whatever point where you find yourself in a troubleshooting situation. At which point it becomes the MOST important feature...

This is the board I am looking at, would like to hear some user feedback.

I have the DZ77GA-70K. I have not overclocked it, but the board installed easily and has been rock solid in stock usage, just as you'd expect from Intel. The controls are there if you'd like to fiddle with anything though. I tend to only do that once I'm at the end of a processor's life, and want to postpone an upgrade. Right now the IB CPU is overkill for everything I have, so no bothering to OC.

The docs were also fantastic which is somewhat amusing to me since over the years I've enjoyed the crimes against English committed routinely in motherboard manuals. I suspect even someone who hasn't really tinkered much could do a new MB install with their fold out guide, quick ref cards, stickers, and manual.

The UEFI is really nice and well laid-out, and isn't gaudy and ridiculous. It's a snap to go in and configure just about anything. The menus are partitioned logically, and controls are intuitive. It is also very easy and obvious how to get back to a safe BIOS default state in each area.
One small thing I like is that each item which has been changed but not saved / applied has an orange star next to it which clearly highlights the impending change set. Just a thoughtful addition if you've been fiddling around in a number of areas and forgot what you'd touched.

It's just a solid and professional board, with no negatives that I've encountered.

I grabbed a MSI Z77A-GD55 as well after looking at all the reviews. I didn't think it was worth the extra cost for the Z77A-GD65 since I don't plan on doing anything extreme like SLI/Xfire. It overclocks awesome, and I like that it has an Intel NIC included.

They look to be both quite popular as they are both out of stock now on Amazon.

Hey MSI Z77A-GD65 owners, question about fan control... How much control do you have over the PWM fan headers?

Not much. Its definitely no where as customization as what Asus Z77 boards offer.

I'm torn between the Asus P8Z77-V and the Pro version. Is the Pro worth the extra $20? I believe the Pro just has two more USB 3.0 ports and a voltage regulator of 12+4 vs 8+4 for the regular.

I'm torn between the Asus P8Z77-V and the Pro version. Is the Pro worth the extra $20? I believe the Pro just has two more USB 3.0 ports and a voltage regulator of 12+4 vs 8+4 for the regular.

Doesn't Pro come with Wifi card as well?

Finally settled on the Sniper M3, I LOVE it. The headphone amp alone is well worth it, it pumps my DT770's as well as my FiiO E9 did.

Haven't had a chance yet to mess with OC on it but soon.

Build was great in TJ08-E.

I'm hoping that ASUS hurries up and gets the Maximus V Formula into retail channels within the next week or so. They took forever with the Rampage IV Formula board as well and I'm terrible with waiting. I've had a 3770k for over a month and still haven't started my build.

Ouch, long time to sit on a processor without getting to use it... for your sake alone, I hope they release it soon!

i have the EVGA Z77 FTW on the way but I was tempted to wait for the Asus Maximus V Formula / extreme. the evga is a step above the formula imo for OC and the dual lan won me over

i have the EVGA Z77 FTW on the way but I was tempted to wait for the Asus Maximus V Formula / extreme. the evga is a step above the formula imo for OC and the dual lan won me over

I was considering giving the EVGA Z77 FTW a chance but seems to be some issues based on early reports from users on EVGA forum and I've always had the best luck with the ASUS ROG line.

Last edited:
Or maybe I'll just wait a little longer and get the Extreme instead...

http://rog.asus.com/114332012/maxim...imus-v-extreme-pushing-lga1155-to-its-limits/

But with the P8Z77-V Premium selling for $450 at Newegg I wouldn't be surprised to see the Maximus V Extreme hit close to $500 being that it has a Thunderbolt connection and that's just about more than I'm willing to pay when the X79 Rampage IV Extreme board can be had for less.

I was considering giving the EVGA Z77 FTW a chance but seems to be some issues based on early reports from users on EVGA forum and I've always had the best luck with the ASUS ROG line.

yeh there is a ram issue which already have been fixed by evga and update coming out next week. evga has the best customer support unlike ASUS.

Since I am not big into overclocking I bought the Asus P8Z77-V LK last week. It was $145 with free shipping and also has a mail in rebate of $20 which I am mailing in tomorrow. Everything works on the board and it has everything that I need so I am happy with it.

My only complaint is that I installed all Windows 7 updates, and all driver updates from the Asus website and there is still one unknown device and I can't figure out what it is looking for. I only installed my video card and wireless nic so it must be something on the board (I think it says PCI Simple Communications Controller if I remember correctly).

Edit: I just came across an article that said to install the Intel Management Engine Interface and it should resolve it. I just checked the Asus site and they didn't have it on there, oh well.

Last edited:
Back