Which Xeon?

Hate_Bot

2[H]4U
Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz 800MHz FSB, L3 2MB Cache

or

Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz 800MHz FSB, L2 2MB Cache

They are both the same price.

Is there a diffrence between L2 or L3 cache?

(On a side not, when are the dual core processors going to be coming in? Especially dual Xenons (if they exist) will any be out by july?)

Thanks

for a workstation there wil be little difference between the two

but...

if you find a program that utilizes the full potential of extra cache, its well worth it to get the L3 cached xeon

rumors say that amd is releasing the dual core one quarter ahead of schedula 2Q i believe from 3Q, or i read wrong? any ways , its going to be summer ish, im sure intel will be not too far behind

well the problem with L3 cache is it's exclusive or some such i forgot the word but essentially once you need to go to L3 you can't go back and use the L2 for the same operation, i think i couldn't quite grasp it cause damn it was technical.

but from what i gathered intel's L3 wasn't as effective as AMD's L2.

I actually decided to go opteron. The 30 second faster render time in 3Ds max wasnt worth the 20FPS you lose in most games.

Im sure the price tag was worth the extra 20 fps though. Why the hell are you going Dual Processor for gaming right now? Why not wait for dual cores?

It's not just for gaming. It's for mainly 3D stuff (3Ds max 95%). Ive read some reviews. The xeon yes beats the opteron in rendering times, but only by 30 seconds or 1 or 2 minutes. But I will still be gaming some. And the Opteron beats the Xeon (in most reviews ive read) in gaming by a fair amount of FPS.

well the A64 is extensively based on the opteron core. so you've got a beta A64 there lol.

i just don't find that the intels have had good performance in anything since P3. However if you get one of those Pentium-m's you can really lay down some power. i wouldn't be surprised if a dothan core pentium-m could out power my 246. :eek:

Back