Which would you recommend, UBNT or Cisco?

WoodiE

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade my current HP 1810-24 v2 switch. I currently have a UBNT EdgeRouter X as well as several UBNT UAP-AC-LR access points. Right now I'm looking for something that supports layer 3 such as the Ubiquiti 24port EdgeMax (ES-24-LITE) or get a Cisco SG 300-28 28-port. Of these two which would you guys recommend?

I recommend Cisco for its track proven performance and rock solid stability however, if you have invested so much in Ubiquiti then get their switching products as they will be fully meshed with all the other ubnt products.

I'm almost settled on going with the Ubiquiti US-24-250W to replace my 1810G-24, planning on adding some UBNT cams, so PoE is a must...

Anyone wanna donate toward the $400 bucks to my new switch fund?

those SGs aren't true cisco enterprise quality... not bad but very comparable with the ubnt...

you made a good choice

remember you'll have to manually enable the 24v output for any 24v devices

Edit: misread, thought you had settled on the ubnt, it's a fine unit...

why do you need L3 switch at home?

Last edited:
Getting on really well with my Unifi Switchs. You may want to swap your ERX for a USG though so you can see your APs, Switch and Gateway all under one controller.

those SGs aren't true cisco enterprise quality... not bad but very comparable with the ubnt...

Not even close to comparable as far as management goes. Possibly with respect to standard functionalities though... I ditched six of them...

Getting on really well with my Unifi Switchs. You may want to swap your ERX for a USG though so you can see your APs, Switch and Gateway all under one controller.
i would certainly recommend the edgeswitch over the unifi switch for isolated home use

I am selling my ERL+UAP(classic) and UAP-PRO.

Went to UAC-AC-PRO and back to Untangle.

I'd go with the Ubiquiti. I'd be curious to see how having all Ubiquiti gear would work. Having the just access point I can see that alot of management option are't available unless you have a Ubiquiti firewall and switch too.

I thought that:
  1. the Unifi routers still lack features which the Edgerouters have
  2. Edgerouters don't integrate with the Unifi Controller
Have these changed?

And I've never used a UBNT switch. Any comments about how the different families integrate - or not - with the Edge & Unifi families?

I thought that:
  1. the Unifi routers still lack features which the Edgerouters have
  2. Edgerouters don't integrate with the Unifi Controller
Have these changed?

And I've never used a UBNT switch. Any comments about how the different families integrate - or not - with the Edge & Unifi families?
no.... to my knowledge they're electrically identical... so that's exactly the difference....

1 is true because of 2, the limitation is not the device, but the Unifi Controller

unless you REALLY need SDN and remote configuration, it doesn't really matter, just get the EdgeRouter...

and even if you're serious about remote configuration, just setup puppet on the edgerouter, it's just running vyatta(vyos)/linux underneath...

EdgeSwitch is to Unifi Switch as EdgeRouter is to Unifi Security Gateway...
only difference is one is configured via the Unifi controller...

which, if you'll notice, there's way more EdgeRouter/EdgeSwitch devices out there than comparable Unifi ones...

they all work fine together in pretty much any configuration, only upside to using Unifi and all unifi devices is that you get all configuration in one screen... the downside is that one screen is missing a ton of functionality

Back