Which VR solution to get, any reason to get a vive?

That makes sense. My plan is to buy exclusives from Oculus and everything else through Steam, with a major caveat of pricing at the time. A few bucks here or there isn't a big deal, but the bundles on offer right now are pretty solid. You get a couple of cross platform games for less than the price for the same on Steam, plus a couple that aren't on Steam thrown in for good measure.

Do you have a third sensor coming? If not, I'm reading that you can get ok tracking if you set two up in opposite corners of your place space.
Ya I got my third on its way, I had to purchase it from Oculus directly since only Oculus and Amazon.ca sell the sensor seperatly and amazon has a 1-4 month wait time for sensors and the rift :p But it will be here by Friday which isn't bad

Got my present last night :D so freaking cool lol

IMG_2092.JPG

nice, you got the old bundle. I have fingers crossed for the old bundle too but not holding my breath as i ordered from oculus on the 17th. will see how many tracking numbers show up when it finally ships.

Congratulations :) You will be busy for the next few hours! Hope it lives up to your expectations.
played for an hour last night, met every expectation I had from it lol. Let my kids and wife try it to, my wife who hasnt played games since super mario on the snes wasnt incredibly surprised by it and spent a good 30 minutes playing around lol. Watched my 5yo daughter run into a wall trying to chase one of those damn butterflies, it was awesome :p

haha. head strap adjustments worked well for your daughter? was wondering if my 4 yr old boy would be able to wear it or if it would be too big even after adjustments.

haha. head strap adjustments worked well for your daughter? was wondering if my 4 yr old boy would be able to wear it or if it would be too big even after adjustments.
The top strap was to small but the side straps worked well enough. Doubt it would of been comfortable enough to wear for a good gaming session but was perfect for her to try for 10 minutes

played for an hour last night, met every expectation I had from it lol. Let my kids and wife try it to, my wife who hasnt played games since super mario on the snes wasnt incredibly surprised by it and spent a good 30 minutes playing around lol. Watched my 5yo daughter run into a wall trying to chase one of those damn butterflies, it was awesome :p

Good stuff :) glad you are enjoying it, especially after waiting ages to use it. I admire your willpower :)

:) Good to hear you and your family are enjoying it. I was wondering about a 3rd sensor but I have not run into any issues yet with just the 2. Did you place the 3rd sensor behind?. I have both mine on each side of the monitor (which is a 43" samsung tv)

:) Good to hear you and your family are enjoying it. I was wondering about a 3rd sensor but I have not run into any issues yet with just the 2. Did you place the 3rd sensor behind?. I have both mine on each side of the monitor (which is a 43" samsung tv)
I actually did 2 sensors in the back corners and 1 in the front. So far tracking is amazing, my play space is roughly 10x7ft and the only place it doesnt track is right below a sensor which is fine (I placed them above the back of my couch lol). I tried for about 5 minutes to make my sensors lose tracking and could not get it to screw up once so im super impressed with it.

Played superhot and I dropped my controllers lol, I went to put them down on a "table" infront of me only to realize after I heard the thump that the tables not fucking there :D

This is my room layout
rift layout.jpg

I'd recommend drawing your guardian lines a bit inside your play space. It's very easy to blow right through it when it's time to rip the head off another robot or jump for the disc...

I picked up a pretty gnarly scuff the other day... my knuckles still feel a little bruised.

I'd recommend drawing your guardian lines a bit inside your play space. It's very easy to blow right through it when it's time to rip the head off another robot or jump for the disc...

I picked up a pretty gnarly scuff the other day... my knuckles still feel a little bruised.

I learned this lesson after spending some time in Echo Arena. Now the boundaries are ~1.5' from the pain.

I have both but prefer the Vive. Better and larger room scale and, to me, just works better overall.
Bought both at bargain prices. See my thread in Vive owners. It's easy to get either for about the same price if you are in a city large enough to have an active Craig's list.
Quite a few people are buying after trying a demo and finding that either their computer is not up to the task or their ability to setup and run is not up to either.
In Houston you can get a complete Vive, mine was never even setup ($425) and the Rift for $380 - but had to buy the extra tracking sensor ($60). I had a friend buy the TPcast wireless setup for VIVE in China. It is due to be delivered today.
If the wireless works out I would never use the Rift and will sell it. Personally, I don't find the Oculus controllers superior, just different. If you have a larger area (15x17 in my case) my Vive is much better - the controls are faster and smoother. I certainly prefer having the Vive sensors mounted in room corners rather than the short Rift stands that were designed to sit on a desk and you may need 4 of them. It is easy to get more $$ in software than hardware. At $30 to $60 a pop it's a continuing expense.

I certainly prefer having the Vive sensors mounted in room corners rather than the short Rift stands that were designed to sit on a desk and you may need 4 of them.

Just so you know - you can do this with the Rift sensors. It's part of the recommended roomscale configuration.

Just so you know - you can do this with the Rift sensors. It's part of the recommended roomscale configuration.

You certainly can but the Vive lighthouses are just easier to setup without cables but I think the tracking results are about the same. I was thinking about putting the Rift downstairs but I think I might actually do the Vive down there instead because it will be easier to setup in a larger area and no cables.

Err... whats this "without cables" and "no cables" talk!? Both require cables for power... you just dont have to run them to the PC where the Vive lighthouse sensors are concerned, but they certainly do still have cables running to them for power.

while accurate, the no cables to the pc is a big plus, this coming from a brand new rift purchaser. I had to get a 16 ft active USB3 cable for 2nd sensor and a 30ft active USB2 cable for sensor 3 in the back. have not hooked them up yet as I am waiting for sensor 3. I do have 2 power sockets in opposite corners if I had gone vive. i have to use the tv/living room area and wife approval factor is important. she has seen me use the rift near the PC but has not been informed i will be mounting 3 sensors up yet with cables. i already know she wont be happy with that so plan on using command strips that are like Velcro so i can take em off after seach session. :p

Err... whats this "without cables" and "no cables" talk!? Both require cables for power... you just dont have to run them to the PC where the Vive lighthouse sensors are concerned, but they certainly do still have cables running to them for power.

Correct. It's having to run cables to a PC for a larger space that's a problem, connecting to an outlet is a much easier task in most houses.

Here's the list of relative pros and cons I see between the Rift and Vive

Rift Pros:

1. Cheaper
2. Lighter HMD
3. Slightly better clarity

Vive Pros:

1. Better sensor tech, easier to set in a larger space with no need to connect everything to a PC
2. Better ecosystem for support of the device, like face covers, different head straps, etc.
3. As Valve is the software developer, better integration with Steam, lots of indie titles for the Vive though most should work with the Rift

Just my thoughts from a 7 months of the Vive and just a couple of days with the Rift. The pricing right now make the Rift the clearer choice except where the Vive lighthouses might be easier to deal with in a larger play space.

Correct. It's having to run cables to a PC for a larger space that's a problem, connecting to an outlet is a much easier task in most houses.

Here's the list of relative pros and cons I see between the Rift and Vive

Rift Pros:

1. Cheaper
2. Lighter HMD

Vive Pros:

1. Better sensor tech, easier to set in a larger space with no need to connect everything to a PC
2. Better ecosystem for support of the device, like face covers, different head straps, etc.
3. As Valve is the software developer, better integration with Steam, lots of indie titles for the Vive though most should work with the Rift

Just my thoughts from a 7 months of the Vive and just a couple of days with the Rift. The pricing right now make the Rift the clearer choice except where the Vive lighthouses might be easier to deal with in a larger play space.

ON the Rift - the clarity thing is a major or minor thing? I was reading the DK series (Admittedly a long time ago now) were so bad you couldn't read text? Is this still a thing?

ON the Rift - the clarity thing is a major or minor thing? I was reading the DK series (Admittedly a long time ago now) were so bad you couldn't read text? Is this still a thing?

I don't think the difference is that big. I've compared a couple of games and visually there's just nothing that wows me visually either way. One thing that is important is the position of the headset and the Deluxe Audio Strap keeps the Vive in place. While the included head strap of the Rift is much better than the Vive's, the Vive DAS is even better than the Rifts.

These products are not radically different and so far I don't see one being technically much better than the other overall. Visuals so far to me don't even factor into is. I give the edge to the Rift but it's not huge. The Vive had so a long lead on the tracking and controllers and that clearly made it the better solution until the Rift got its solution out the door. Now there are pretty much equal with the Rift's price making the difference.

Minor - almost a personal preference kind of thing. The focused "sweet spot" on the Vive is quite a bit smaller. Things on the periphery are more blurry with the Vive than with the Rift. The Rift has an ever so slightly smaller FOV, but is more uniformly focused outside of the center view. For games that do use text like Elite Dangerous and its HUD, I much prefer the Rift due to it handling text better.

Again, the above is pretty minor. Folk that keep saying that one is eminently better than the other are just blabbering idiots/fanboys. Both get the job done equally well (i.e. provide for an immersive and enjoyable VR experience), but when it comes to the whole package, the Rift now does it for significantly less... like $400 less.

Rift Pros:
1. Cheaper
2. Lighter HMD

Vive Pros:

I've owned both for well over a year now and I'll give you #1 on the Vive as to Pros, but #2 and #3 are questionable.

For #2, there are just as many accessories available for the Rift as well when it comes to stuff like facial interfaces, earbuds, and replacement crap.

For #3, I've found the integration with Steam to be equally good for both HMDs. This maybe wasn't the case 8 months ago, but it is equal now... hell Steam VR was a hot mess for the Vive as well back then with lots of minor issues as well now that I think back on it... And I also like having the separate Oculus Home store for Rift exclusives games as well (I.E. Games that have been funded the hell out of by Oculus to give us such AAA gems as Robo Recall) which can also be played on the Vive using Revive)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Minor - almost a personal preference kind of thing. The focused "sweet spot" on the Vive is quite a bit smaller. Things on the periphery are more blurry with the Vive than with the Rift. The Rift has an ever so slightly smaller FOV, but is more uniformly focused outside of the center view. For games that do use text like Elite Dangerous and its HUD, I much prefer the Rift due to it handling text better.

Again, the above is pretty minor. Folk that keep saying that one is eminently better than the other are just blabbering idiots/fanboys. Both get the job done equally well (i.e. provide for an immersive and enjoyable VR experience), but when it comes to the whole package, the Rift now does it for significantly less... like $400 less.

I've owned both for well over a year now and I'll give you #1 on the Vive as to Pros, but #2 and #3 are questionable.

For #2, there are just as many accessories available for the Rift as well when it comes to stuff like facial interfaces, earbuds, and replacement crap.

For #3, I've found the integration with Steam to be equally good for both HMDs. This maybe wasn't the case 8 months ago, but it is equal now... hell Steam VR was a hot mess for the Vive as well back then with lots of minor issues as well now that I think back on it... And I also like having the separate Oculus Home store for Rift exclusives games as well (I.E. Games that have been funded the hell out of by Oculus to give us such AAA gems as Robo Recall) which can also be played on the Vive using Revive)

I've had the Vive for 7 months and the Rift only running since Tuesday as I've stated so I would expect my comparisons to be the best. I think the number #1s are pretty clear which is why I listed them first. The others are certainly more debatable in my opinion thus far and I don't disagree that much with what you're saying other than the ecosystems. The Vive does have better 3rd party support for the hardware I think simply as a result of the Vive coming out as a full package with VR controllers months ahead of the Rift.

There's a reason why the Rift got cheaper, it was simply behind. Today especially with the pricing not all except with the sensors. My point about games on Steam, I think the problem is with the gripping mechanism on the Rift. The Vive had it's controllers from day one with the Rift's coming much later and a lot of indie games to this point work better with the inherently different gripping mechanics of the Vive. The Rift controllers were designed for gripping to be natural and the Vive controllers added gripping as more or a control key.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What the fuck happened here? I've spent hundreds of hours in both HMDs. Flip a coin.

Don't get me wrong, at introduction the Vive was miles better than Rift. It's been a year and a half... Ignoring price it's a wash. At current pricing, buy Rift. No question.

Whichever you choose, set up an Oculus account and get in on Echo Arena while it's still free. Good times.

Quick survey of your equipment?
- What are you guys using to run your VR system?...

i7-2700+ at stock
980 Ti at stock

Rift runs perfectly and I am using usb 2.0 ports to run my sensors with zero issues.

Originally had an i2500K (4.4Ghz) and an R9 290 (stock)

Now I have a Ryzen 1700x and a GTX 1070.

What the fuck happened here? I've spent hundreds of hours in both HMDs. Flip a coin.

Don't get me wrong, at introduction the Vive was miles better than Rift. It's been a year and a half... Ignoring price it's a wash. At current pricing, buy Rift. No question.

Whichever you choose, set up an Oculus account and get in on Echo Arena while it's still free. Good times.

With my short time with the Rift thus far I agree with this overall. The performance of both are very close. The Vive lighthouses I think are superior especially for a larger play space or any situation where long cable runs to a PC are necessary.

i7-3770 non K so only a little 400mhz overclock
16gb @ 1866mhz
GTX 1080 with my fan curve it seems to spend most of it's time in the low 2000 / high 1900 range
500gb Evo 850 SSD

If you're still on the fence. Buy the Rift. Use the money you saved from not buying the Vive on a third sensor, wiring, and games/software to play.

Get the Rift. Can't do better than that. I think I have now Rift and maybe 30 games/experiences and all I paid was less than what Vive costs. I still have to get the third sensor though.

i7-4770K 4.6 GHz, 32 GB DDR3-2400, reference GTX 980, additional FL1100-based USB 3.0 card to handle the Rift itself and two of the sensors (it's a quad-sensor setup).

It's rather modest compared to a lot of people here, but it gets the job done. Pascal wasn't out when I bought the 980 at practically 970 pricing back in late 2015 (wanted to be prepared the second I got my Rift, and my GTX 760 wasn't going to cut it), and I figure I'm better off just waiting for Volta.

I do notice framedrops and ATW/ASW/reprojection artifacts from time to time, but the overall perceived experience is smooth enough that I don't worry too much about it. It's not like anything is natively going to run DCS at a constant 90 FPS when its engine is still bottlenecked heavily by single-threaded CPU performance, and that applies to most flight sims today.

Back