Which VR headset to buy in 2020?

Any idea when the G2 will be ready?!?! I have OG rift an the SDE is just bad, dont get me wrong its amazing if its all youve ever had but just having it since launch im ready for an upgrade!

Any idea when the G2 will be ready?!?! I have OG rift an the SDE is just bad, dont get me wrong its amazing if its all youve ever had but just having it since launch im ready for an upgrade!

Preorders have been open for a while. Preorders before 9/24 are scheduled for a batch delivery early November. New orders after that date will be December or later.

If you have not preordered it then December. Early birds get it early November

Last edited:
he's not giving me his account so I need to create my own account...I'm mainly interested in HL: Alyx but will definitely give other titles a try...

And for the love of God, don't buy Beat Saber until you have played most other games!!

It's an addiction.

I am loving the Quest 2 a lot more than I expected so that gets my vote as the one to get in 2020.
Sure the HP would be awesome but I tell you, if you got the space like a garage or similar area, experiencing room scale with no cables is just something else.
Boxing in Thrill of the fight and being able to move all around just elevates the game.
Fighting with a light saber and moving all around the room..it is simply an amazing experience.

Yeah, I am loving the Quest 2 as well. I have a Rift S which I was going to keep to play PCVR games and use the Quest 2 for playing away from home etc. But since getting the Quest 2, I use it for everything and will be selling on the Rift S.

Yeah, I am loving the Quest 2 as well. I have a Rift S which I was going to keep to play PCVR games and use the Quest 2 for playing away from home etc. But since getting the Quest 2, I use it for everything and will be selling on the Rift S.
I am currently using Wifi for PCVR but I hope they fixed the resolution issue with the wired option as well as it does look smoother in my setup but the res kills IQ for me to the point that I may as well use my Oculus CV1 if I want to be wired lol
Going to my garage now to have a few awesome room-scale rounds of Thrill of the Fight :D

I am currently using Wifi for PCVR but I hope they fixed the resolution issue with the wired option as well as it does look smoother in my setup but the res kills IQ for me to the point that I may as well use my Oculus CV1 if I want to be wired lol
Going to my garage now to have a few awesome room-scale rounds of Thrill of the Fight :D

You know they released an update for the Oculus Link on the Public test channel? It's worth checking out, does improve things a lot. I can post a link if you need it.

You know they released an update for the Oculus Link on the Public test channel? It's worth checking out, does improve things a lot. I can post a link if you need it.
Yes I have it but it still does not fix the actual resolution..it added the Bitrate which helps with artifacts from compression so it helps but it is still not able to match the iq of the VD option.

I wouldn't recommend an Oculus (Facebook) VR Headset in 2020. I have a Rift S that I bought during Black Friday 2019 and it is a great piece of hardware. But this year Facebook began to ruin things as most people thought would happen by beginning to forcibly shove their social media platform down your throat in order to use your Oculus. This will be by first and last Oculus headset.

I wouldn't recommend an Oculus (Facebook) VR Headset in 2020. I have a Rift S that I bought during Black Friday 2019 and it is a great piece of hardware. But this year Facebook began to ruin things as most people thought would happen by beginning to forcibly shove their social media platform down your throat in order to use your Oculus. This will be by first and last Oculus headset.
I have zero issues recommending it. I couldn't care less about having to login to FB or not. Not everyone cares about it and for those who do, then is certainly not a product for them.

It is what I use until my Reverb G2 arrives. It IS a first generation of VR, so the resolution is very poor and SDE is very noticeable. That said, it will not hinder the first wow effect, especially after you have tried a horror game or Arizone Sunshine and have zombies come up to you and surround you and make you shit your pants.

People do recommend putting one sensor on each corner of the room and yes, that does give you Roomscale VR without 3rd sensor, although there are blindspots without one, and Oculus software will also complain "that the sensors are too far apart". I don't knoe why it does that and you can safely ignore it. Anyway, you will probably need an USB 3.0 extension cables for that too. But you do not need roomscale honestly. Out of the box without extra equipment you can have both sensors in front as long as you are mindful where the sensors are and turn the character in game instead of turning yourself.

Oh, be mindful of motion sickness and do not push yourself too hard. Take breaks and you get used to it. Personally I hate teleportation and it is a bandaid that does not fix the problem, so do not be too afraid to try smooth locomotion which is mandatory for most bigger AAA style games. Walking forward and backwards in game is easy and you get used to it really fast. Turning however is a murder for your sensed. So always use Snap turn when available, it does not take away much from the game.
Just to add on to this as a point to a new VR user: try every turning and movement style available to see what works for you. I have zero problems with smooth turn and movement (meaning normal analog stick movement) but my wife gets sick within minutes. Everyone's different.

Just saying, it'll take a lot for me to walk away from my wireless Vive Pro (/w Index controllers) as my primary headset.

I'm tempted to get a Reverb G2 for seated games... but it's probably only going to be for that niche.

Two questions: has anyone upgraded from base station 1.0 to base station 2.0 and noticed any real difference in tracking?
cosmos elite? any opinions?

I have a orignal vive+ wireless. I cannot go back to wired. I am looking at picking up an cosmos elite HMD and 2xbase station 2.0s separately. And then use the Knuckles controllers I already have.
From what I understand most of the complaints against Cosmos elite is the cost of the KIT when viewed in the context of included Base station 1.0 and first gen wands.

My Quest 2 appears to have a dead pixel. Sold red pixel just above right eye level super annoying. Thankfully looks like I can exchange it easy enough at BB.

Quest 2, but I'm hoping others like Valve and HP will do wirelss HMDs like that (which can optionally be hooked up to a PC for higher quality) I'd gladly pay an extra $100 to NOT be tied to facebook

Is there any issue anyone knows of creating an anonymous FB account just for Oculus?

It’s against FB ToS. If you’re caught they’ll delete your account and when they delete it everything goes with it (including your Oculus Store games). Has already happened to people.
Yep. FB expects that when you create an account, you use your real name and post real things about yourself. I'm just waiting for them to delete my account that I use for FB Marketplace - it's named after one of my MMO characters and I never post anything on it.

The shipping of HP Reddit G2 is starting to be a shitshow and people on Reddit are getting very angry (but then again, Reddit is always angry) about lack of communication from HP. There is a very strong possibility that European people, who were the first preordered the damn thing, are not going to get it in November but they are all pushed into december. Especially those who ordered it from the spanish Amazon, according to this website.
https://alternativereality.it/hp-reverb-g2-le-consegne-slittano-a-dicembre/

I have not received such email yet but IF it is true and I receive the said email I am very tempted on cancelling it and buying Oculus Quest 2 which is in stock, LOCALLY. My Oculus account has been merged with Facebook for a long time so its not like FB integration so that is not a huge problem anymore. But on the other hand PCVR gaming is my main use along with watching movies so the best possible clarity (and lack of godrays) is what I want the most and that is what G2 is going to deliver better than Q2 according to reviews... What to do what to do... 🙈

The shipping of HP Reddit G2 is starting to be a shitshow and people on Reddit are getting very angry (but then again, Reddit is always angry) about lack of communication from HP. There is a very strong possibility that European people, who were the first preordered the damn thing, are not going to get it in November but they are all pushed into december. Especially those who ordered it from the spanish Amazon, according to this website.
https://alternativereality.it/hp-reverb-g2-le-consegne-slittano-a-dicembre/

I have not received such email yet but IF it is true and I receive the said email I am very tempted on cancelling it and buying Oculus Quest 2 which is in stock, LOCALLY. My Oculus account has been merged with Facebook for a long time so its not like FB integration so that is not a huge problem anymore. But on the other hand PCVR gaming is my main use along with watching movies so the best possible clarity (and lack of godrays) is what I want the most and that is what G2 is going to deliver better than Q2 according to reviews... What to do what to do... 🙈

Poor HP if this is true. They seem to always mess up the launches of their headsets. The first Reverb had issues at launch and now the G2 seems to be delayed until after Christmas for anyone apart from the earliest pre-orders.

I was planning to wait on the G2. But decided to the get the Quest 2. Not sure I will get the G2 after Christmas either. Have found that life without the Wire is just so much better, even for sit down games. I don't think the difference in clarity between the two headsets is enough for me to lose that freedom.

Not sure what I would do in your situation. I cancelled my pre-order for the G2 when the Quest 2 pre-orders were announced. I knew I wouldn't have the will power to resist the Quest 2 and wait for the G2. But you are after waiting so long. Maybe you should keep your pre order for the G2 and buy the Quest 2 to keep you going in the mean time. When the G2 comes out sell the Quest 2, you shouldn't lose too much on it.

Poor HP if this is true. They seem to always mess up the launches of their headsets. The first Reverb had issues at launch and now the G2 seems to be delayed until after Christmas for anyone apart from the earliest pre-orders.

I was planning to wait on the G2. But decided to the get the Quest 2. Not sure I will get the G2 after Christmas either. Have found that life without the Wire is just so much better, even for sit down games. I don't think the difference in clarity between the two headsets is enough for me to lose that freedom.

Not sure what I would do in your situation. I cancelled my pre-order for the G2 when the Quest 2 pre-orders were announced. I knew I wouldn't have the will power to resist the Quest 2 and wait for the G2. But you are after waiting so long. Maybe you should keep your pre order for the G2 and buy the Quest 2 to keep you going in the mean time. When the G2 comes out sell the Quest 2, you shouldn't lose too much on it.

Well I did plan on buying both Q2 and G2 eventually so selling it would not be sensible in my situation. 🤔 However if I were to buy both of them at the same time it would be a lot of money spent at the same time, too much for a poor steel industry worker. I could not eat for a month. 😅

It’s against FB ToS. If you’re caught they’ll delete your account and when they delete it everything goes with it (including your Oculus Store games). Has already happened to people.

Yep. FB expects that when you create an account, you use your real name and post real things about yourself. I'm just waiting for them to delete my account that I use for FB Marketplace - it's named after one of my MMO characters and I never post anything on it.

I despise FB and have no intention of linking any accounts to further their sketchy data collection. I've made peace with the fact that FB will axe my oculus account and the few purchases I made at some point in the future. Lesson learned.

This is exactly why my Rift CV1 is going on ebay later tonight (shameless plug ;)).

I despise FB and have no intention of linking any accounts to further their sketchy data collection. I've made peace with the fact that FB will axe my oculus account and the few purchases I made at some point in the future. Lesson learned.

This is exactly why my Rift CV1 is going on ebay later tonight (shameless plug ;)).

You know Facebook own Oculus since 2014?

Yes, but only recently have they forced Oculus owners to have a 'real' Facebook account to use their hardware.

Yes, I know. The point I was making was that if he despised Facebook that he is already supporting them by buying the Rift Civ 1. Selling it now won't make any kind of point and will also leave him without a headset.

Second thing, If you purchased any Oculus headset since 2014(and that includes the Gear VR), then Facebook already has a lot of your info.

Yes, I know. The point I was making was that if he despised Facebook that he is already supporting them by buying the Rift Civ 1. Selling it now won't make any kind of point and will also leave him without a headset.

Second thing, If you purchased any Oculus headset since 2014(and that includes the Gear VR), then Facebook already has a lot of your info.

I was following oculus since before Facebook. Believe it or not, during the DK1 / DK2 days early VR adopters (myself included) were still optimistic about the Facebook purchase. The support and cash injection from a big company was going to usher in the golden age of VR... I stuck by them and sold my developer kits for the CV1. Anyway, in the last couple years it’s become clear than Facebook views VR as a vehicle for getting their claws in the gaming market vs caring about growing the medium, hardware innovation, or continuing oculus as a separate entity.

I bought a Vive later and this year splurged for a Index. I’m not sure why I kept the CV1 around, I suppose I have some nostalgia already for the VR scene and meetups I attended from 2013-15. The CV1 really felt like the culmination of progress from homebrew headsets and crazy demos on the dev kits, bums me out that it’s ended up with future support being tied to Facebook integration.

I'm kinda stuck between the G2 and Quest 2. I would mostly use it for sims but would like decent tracking for general usage and to show off VR to friends and relatives.

The clarity of the Quest 2 scares me though. Some videos show it as being decent but in one video comparing it to the G2 the difference was night and day, Quest 2 was a blurry mess. Not sure why it would look that bad.

I'm kinda stuck between the G2 and Quest 2. I would mostly use it for sims but would like decent tracking for general usage and to show off VR to friends and relatives.

The clarity of the Quest 2 scares me though. Some videos show it as being decent but in one video comparing it to the G2 the difference was night and day, Quest 2 was a blurry mess. Not sure why it would look that bad.

What videos have you seen that show the Quest 2 been that bad? I have a Quest 2 and the clarity is fine.

The only videos that you should be looking at are from the last week. V23 firmware dropped and it has updated the link cable to 90Hz and full resolution. It's a massive improvement over the initial release.

As for the Reverb G2. It's definitely the best option for Sims. The tracking will be fine in most situations and I doubt your family and friends will even notice. So it will be great headset for doing VR demos.

What videos have you seen that show the Quest 2 been that bad? I have a Quest 2 and the clarity is fine.

The only videos that you should be looking at are from the last week. V23 firmware dropped and it has updated the link cable to 90Hz and full resolution. It's a massive improvement over the initial release.

As for the Reverb G2. It's definitely the best option for Sims. The tracking will be fine in most situations and I doubt your family and friends will even notice. So it will be great headset for doing VR demos.

This is the video:

Mainly the AC, Elite Dangerous and the letter charts had me concerned. Maybe it's nitpicking and the update will solve the issues. Thanks for your reply!

This is the video:

Mainly the AC, Elite Dangerous and the letter charts had me concerned. Maybe it's nitpicking and the update will solve the issues. Thanks for your reply!

IIRC in that time Quest 2 still ran in Quest 1 resolution so even if the screen is sharper and SDE is reduced the games were still blurry? Or do I remembver wrong and it was just the refresh rate that was slow until recently?

IIRC in that time Quest 2 still ran in Quest 1 resolution so even if the screen is sharper and SDE is reduced the games were still blurry? Or do I remembver wrong and it was just the refresh rate that was slow until recently?

Nope, you remember correctly, that video was before the Quest 2 launched. The Update for the resolution and the refresh rate only happened in the last couple of weeks.

This is the video:

Apologies, forgot to reply. See my response to Maza above. The update does solve those issue. It's way better than those videos now.

I canceled my G2 preorder and bought a Quest 2. Let me tell you I am absolutely blown away by this thing. And yes, this will read as hyperbole because I've never really experienced VR before, so as I type this I'm still riding that first time VR high. I just tried the Beat Saber demo and I'm so overwhelmed with joy that I have tears in my eyes. This is like experiencing video games for the first time again. Can't wait to try HL: Alyx.

Honestly I went in expecting this thing to be garbage because it's dirt cheap. But I am pleasantly surprised. No screen door effect. There is blurriness outside of the sweet spot, but I suspect that this is normal for VR. Once you're immersed in a game that blurriness fades away.

The quest 2 is a standalone set, and also has the ability to be tethered to PC right?

So it'll work with PC versions of VR games, like Steam and what not?

Ive played the PS4 VR and had some fun, but Ive started looking for one for the PC, I just cant justify dropping 500 on something that kinda seems like a "play with once a week" thing.

But I really want to play Pavlov, and other VR games on the PC.

I guess if you're already on Facebook and don't mind being a part of that ecosystem the Quest 2 is a pretty good value.

I'm not and don't plan to be - and it's funny because it's not really important to me what the Zuck knows or doesn't know. I figure he's got me nailed firmly to a target ad demographic even though second-order sources.

I just don't want people who actually know me to be able to find me on FB. 😂

I canceled my G2 preorder and bought a Quest 2. Let me tell you I am absolutely blown away by this thing. And yes, this will read as hyperbole because I've never really experienced VR before, so as I type this I'm still riding that first time VR high. I just tried the Beat Saber demo and I'm so overwhelmed with joy that I have tears in my eyes. This is like experiencing video games for the first time again. Can't wait to try HL: Alyx.

Honestly I went in expecting this thing to be garbage because it's dirt cheap. But I am pleasantly surprised. No screen door effect. There is blurriness outside of the sweet spot, but I suspect that this is normal for VR. Once you're immersed in a game that blurriness fades away.

Believe me, I am SO tempted to do the same. Especially because of the constant delays of shipping the damn things into europe and HP's radio silence on burning questions that people have. And I know a shop near me gets new stock next tuesday. I could walk in, get it and order some cheap Link compatible USB cable from Amazon and maybe a good bluetooth headset on black friday. Also I would get a headset that I know would have good tracking with very little blindspots. Only reason why I have not done so already is because I am also a videophile movie freak and I'd like to have the very best screens for movie watching and am unsure if Quest 2 is good enough.

*edit* God damnit, maybe I should just get it and if it turns out to be good enough then I can cancel the Reverb G2. If not then return the Quest 2 and keep on waiting for the G2.

*edit2* Does Oculus Quest 2 come with free copy of Robo Recall? PCVR Rift did. That is a fantastic game to dip your toes into VR gunplay. And fantastic arcade style game in general.

*edit* God damnit, maybe I should just get it and if it turns out to be good enough then I can cancel the Reverb G2. If not then return the Quest 2 and keep on waiting for the G2.
If you get it from Best Buy you have until Jan 16th to return it. Pretty much a no brainer if you ask me. I wonder what they do with the returns though. VR headsets can get pretty gross when it comes to absorbing sweat and skin flakes and whatnot. I would hope that they replace the parts that touch your face before reselling it.

If you get it from Best Buy you have until Jan 16th to return it. Pretty much a no brainer if you ask me. I wonder what they do with the returns though. VR headsets can get pretty gross when it comes to absorbing sweat and skin flakes and whatnot. I would hope that they replace the parts that touch your face before reselling it.

I am from Finland so no best buy here. The equivalent "from TV's to washing machines" tech shop here is Gigantti which is also who carry Oculus products. But yeah, I should have 30 day return period as long as the packacking is in good shape and the product can be sold again as B-Stock.

The quest 2 is a standalone set, and also has the ability to be tethered to PC right?

So it'll work with PC versions of VR games, like Steam and what not?
Yes, Quest 2 will work with PC VR (Steam, etc...) when tethered with a good usb3 cable. The only problem is becoming spoiled by wireless play, so you may only enjoy seated/more-stationary games when tethered.

Its so cheap because you are the product, I was not willing to give facebook that much of a peek into my living space, but i am trying to convince the wife she should, she is all over that facebook stuff:) ill wait for my G2

Very happy to see you are enjoying you first VR, this will be my first time as well.

Back