Which video card would you purchase?

Go for the 2070 Super and don't look back. The AMD drivers are going to be annoying the whole time you have the card.

lol
the drivers have been fixed.

But I'd also recommend a super at the moment as DLSS 2.0 looks ultra promising and is giving huge performance gains, I would wager it is going to take off.

The 5700 (with BIOS flash to 5700 XT) or 5700 XT offer the superior bang for the buck in that price range. Ray tracing is still early on, and a 2060 Super or even 2070 Super isn't going to be playing AAA games with ray tracing and maxed out settings in the next few years. If you want to play Minecraft with RTX or some specific game right now, maybe a 2060 Super or 2070 Super would be the way to go over the 5700 / 5700 XT. I think Nvidia really only makes sense when looking at 2080 / 2080 Super / 2080 Ti as they are high performers and will have some more longevity on ray tracing. Or if you really want ray tracing on some specific game right now. 5700 XT easily beats out the 2060 Super and is about ~10% slower give or take compared to a 2070 Super.

Of course some people will mention the driver issues. I've had my 5700 for about a month now on triple monitors (1 x 1440P 144hz freesync, 1 x 1440P 60hz and 1 x old 1600 x 900) so I can't comment on the early drivers, but 20.2.2 and 20.4.1 have been absolutely flawless. No blackscreens or crashes like people mention (I won't count overclocking too far one time and a simple reboot fixed it and then backed down on clocks). Just like in the Hardware Unboxed videos Steve recommends the 5700 XT and has many for his family members PCs I would be in the same camp.

1080 Ti is a great card too but they are selling for a bit too high on eBay or the used market right now. If you can scoop up a good used one for around $300 - $350 instead of the trending ~$450+ price tag it would be a great option.

If somebody is buying short term and plan to upgrade when the next gen GPUs come out, then I would go for the 5700XT over the 2070 Super as a stop gap.

But, If I planned to keep the GPU for more than a year, then the 5700XT makes no sense at all.

No support for DX12 Ultimate so that means
No Mesh Shading,
No Variable Rate Shading,
No Sampler Feedback.
No Ray Tracing.

With Vulkan, Console and DirectX all getting Ray tracing, it won't be long until there are plenty of Ray Traced games.

Then you are missing out on some really good features that Turing has like

DLSS 2.0.
VRSS.
RTX voice.

The 5700XT has nothing to offer in the long term. I wouldn't buy the 1080TI for the same reason.

So when you take into account his budget, that he keeps his gpus for years and the new features coming this year, there are really only a couple of options. And those are the 2060 Super or the 2070 Super if he can stretch his budget a little.

These days, I'd get an RTX card. 2060 Super minimum, if I planned to keep it for a while, it has forward looking, rich features set.

RDNA is pretty much dated already as it's too feature sparse. Lacks not only RT but other features of DX12 Ultimate (Like Variable Rate Shading).

AMD has to get RDNA 2 out to be competitive.

There's no point in buying either brand of card this late in the lifecycle. I don't really trust Nvidia to continue making the 2XXX series viable after new cards drop. Case in point...the 1080Ti. At launch it was comparable to a 2080. Now it's comparable to the 2070 as Nvidia fails to optimize drivers for older cards. Sure just in terms of raw power, it will be competitive at lower resolutions (as should any card that costs $300+), but in 2-3 years, I don't see it as being appreciably different than an RDNA card.

IMO, both brands launched "transition cards" to the next generation which should be more exciting than this generation. I wouldn't spend more than $250 on a card to get by until next gen drops. It's just the wrong time to be buying.

There's no point in buying either brand of card this late in the lifecycle. I don't really trust Nvidia to continue making the 2XXX series viable after new cards drop. Case in point...the 1080Ti. At launch it was comparable to a 2080. Now it's comparable to the 2070 as Nvidia fails to optimize drivers for older cards. Sure just in terms of raw power, it will be competitive at lower resolutions (as should any card that costs $300+), but in 2-3 years, I don't see it as being appreciably different than an RDNA card.

IMO, both brands launched "transition cards" to the next generation which should be more exciting than this generation. I wouldn't spend more than $250 on a card to get by until next gen drops. It's just the wrong time to be buying.

1080Ti vs 2080 performance depends on game.

Here is a RE2 remake mega bench from a year back:

1080ti is consistently a little behind 2080:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1784-resident-evil-2-benchmarks/

Now a year later testing RE3 remake, did it fall further behind? Nope, its actually a little ahead of the 2080:
https://www.techspot.com/article/2004-resident-evil-3/

Turing is capable of doing integer and FP in parallel, which means going forward that can be a big advantage for new software that takes advantage of it, where it may not show up in older games. Also other feaures like Variable Rate shading might be taken advantage. It isn't that NVidia is failing to optimize drivers, it's that that Pascal doesn't have the extra features to take advantage of.

The only thing Pascal falling behind indicates, is that you shouldn't buy a Pascal card as many continue to suggest.

If buying a card today, it makes sense to choose the most forward looking architecture, and that's Turing RTX cards.

Last edited:
We are already seeing brand new 5700xt cards for $350ish. The used value on these will probably fall off a cliff in another 6-8 months, or sooner, as well. Turing cards will fare much better for resale value. The 5700xt is a fine card for the money and punchy to boot. I see the 5700s being the new RX 570 for price performance for 2-3 years easily. It all depends on what games you want play and what your expectations are. I personally want to try the features that RTX has and see where they go with DX12 ultimate, DLSS and so on.

Used Pascal is the same story. Still does well and for the right price is fine. In no way am i willing to spend $300 or more on any GPU that doesn't have any of the features Turing has and that is what it is.

OP, what were you coming from, if you don't mind me asking. I say this because you don't want to be on a 1080ti and necessarily go to a 5700xt or rtx 2070 super.

If you were less than a gtx 1080 any of those cards you are looking at will be great.
It gets a little more difficult when you start to get to the gtx 1080ti level becuase the pay off starts to shrink quite a bit.

the 1080ti to 2080 would be a nice leap but you could really hold out till 3xxx series or big navi with a gtx 1080ti. I came from an rx470 so moving to rx 5700xt was quite BIG.

Last edited:
As much as I love my 1080tis I cannot recommend anyone buying them, unless they get a killer (sub 300! deal and it’s under warranty (strictly gaming). For anyone asking about cards today I point them at current gen (unless they are trying to upgrade something recent) then I just tell em to wait.

LOL @ the people in this thread saying the 1080Ti is on its last leg and washed up,

lmao.

beast of a card, still is and will be for a long time. Get one used and call it a day. It’ll maxout anything just fine for the next couple years

WORD! Especially at his resolution.

Pretty sure no one is saying the 1080ti is washed up. The point is that for even money and similar performance— buy a current gen brand new card.

Good deal on a used 1080ti? Snap it up and enjoy.

I just got a RTX 2070 Super so I'd say definitely spend the extra $50 or get one used

At least you get a warranty with your new 2070 vs the used 1080ti with three/four years of usage.

This is my best card and almost a year old now which was a ref XFX RX 5700 flashed running with a stock cooled 3700x

If you can find a 1080ti card for $350 or less than that would be a good buy but people are selling them here for $425-$475 here on average which you can get a RTX 2070s for $499 brand new. In my opinion I would just pony up a few extra $ and get the newer tech unless you can find a good price 1080ti.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gv-n207swf3oc-8gd/p/N82E16814932213
Here is a $499 2070s card as an example.

Anyways good luck on your gpu search. Keep us updated on what you end up getting =]

I got my RTX 2070 was $499 in pre-order almost two years ago...
I really wonder why people are surprised performance advantage of 1080Ti over 2070 got smaller. It was known right from the start that Turing having improvements for DX12 and performance improving features will get faster over time in these kinds of performance comparisons.

If had 1080Ti when RTX cards were released I would sell it and got 2080... but I had 980Ti so I got 2070 instead ; )

Back