Which video card for gaming + productivity (Photoshop, Maya, etc)

enyceexdanny

2[H]4U
I've recently started started doing some 3D rendering at home, and since I play some games as well - I wanted to know which video card was most suitable for my situation.

Ideally, purchasing a workstation card would be best for productivity - but since I would like to game on my 30" monitor as well, I would need to make compromises.

I pretty much use Maya exclusively for 3D, along with the Adobe suite (cs6) for everything else.

Would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

My wife works alot in CS5 Master Suite and Maya and its always seemed to run better since I put in her GTX460 VS an HD5770. I'd stick with Geforce.

It is a bummer they gimped GPGPU on the 680 because a 690 would make sense in terms of playing games on my 30". Since CS6 now supports OpenCL, I was hoping to see some benchmarks between the top of the line Nvidia and AMD cards, but haven't found any so far.

Yeah, I was leaning more towards Nvidia and hopefully GTX 685 is what I'm expecting it to be.

AFAIK CS6 products do not make much use of double precision FP so you're fine with a 690. In fact nVidia recommends the Tesla equivalent of the GTX 690 for image processing rather than the Big Kepler.

AFAIK CS6 products do not make much use of double precision FP so you're fine with a 690. In fact nVidia recommends the Tesla equivalent of the GTX 690 for image processing rather than the Big Kepler.

In fact, nVidia recommends a card that is out now for image processing rather than a card that won't be available for 6 months.

Makes sense.

@OP: I'd wait to see some Benchmarks, since the AMD cards are beasts at GPGPU, but nVidia definitely has a better history of supporting Adobe CS etc on their gaming cards compared to AMD.

In fact, nVidia recommends a card that is out now for image processing rather than a card that won't be available for 6 months.

Makes sense.

@OP: I'd wait to see some Benchmarks, since the AMD cards are beasts at GPGPU, but nVidia definitely has a better history of supporting Adobe CS etc on their gaming cards compared to AMD.

I agree x2

along with the Adobe suite (cs6) for everything else.

Very good site with some info (albeit CS5 related): https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

I put a build together for a friend with a GT 440 since that was the cheapest 1GB card with the most SP's (Stream Processors) I could find. Using the patch on that site, the card works fine (even though technically it's unsupported according to Adobe). Obviously with gaming being a consideration you're going to want something quite a bit more powerful than a GT 440 - but at least that'll give you a baseline starting point as to something that is more than acceptable for CS.

If you have the scratch, I'd get a GTX 670. If that's too high, go for a 570 or at least a 560 Ti.
I do use CS5.5 with my 6950 but then again I'm not in After Effects or Premiere; I'm more on the 2d design side (Ps, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat).

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers guys. I guess I'll wait a bit for some benchmarks and news of near-future models.

Back