Which version of vista to buy?

Jared701

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I'm considering building a new machine and switching to vista when I build it. I won't have an xp license anymore as I'd be selling my machine to my brother. I don't think I can just buy an upgrade version then can I? I'm wondering which I should go with, retail, oem, upgrade and which version of vista. Through my school I can get an oem full version of vista business for a very discounted price, but I don't know for sure if you can install the 64 bit version from this. Also, would a normal user miss features by buying vista business instead of one of the home versions? I checked on microsoft's comparison page and it looked like I'd only miss out on like 3 new vista included games and some new windows media center. I could still install windows media center 11 though I'm assuming if I went with business.

you get media player, but you don't get media center....that's one of the big differences. that being said, if you won't miss the feature, or the ultimate extras stuff, then go for business. the feature comparison chart that microsoft puts out is basically the thrust of what you need to know. that being said, if it's through the MSDNAA, it would likely state explicitly if it was 64-bit. i know through my school, I can get either 32 or 64 bit version seperately, but not together.

you get media player, but you don't get media center....that's one of the big differences. that being said, if you won't miss the feature, or the ultimate extras stuff, then go for business. the feature comparison chart that microsoft puts out is basically the thrust of what you need to know. that being said, if it's through the MSDNAA, it would likely state explicitly if it was 64-bit. i know through my school, I can get either 32 or 64 bit version seperately, but not together.

thanks for the reply. I don't care about the features of media center so if my school offers teh 64 bit version I'll get that.

If you get a license it is valid for 32 or 64-bit. So if you buy a version and it only comes with 32-bit, you can buy the 64-bit media for a small price.

As for what version, if you don't need any media center stuff Business is perfect. I used it for a year and it's great; it's not really missing anything from Home Premium that I can think of (minus media center stuff, of course).

If you get a license it is valid for 32 or 64-bit. So if you buy a version and it only comes with 32-bit, you can buy the 64-bit media for a small price.

As for what version, if you don't need any media center stuff Business is perfect. I used it for a year and it's great; it's not really missing anything from Home Premium that I can think of (minus media center stuff, of course).

sweet, so I'm covered either way. Thanks for the advice and link.

The real answer is don't buy vista just stick with XP its a shit OS.

I'm guessing everything you know about Vista you learned at slashdot...:rolleyes: I predict your stay at hardforums.com will not be a long one. BTW, Vista rules.

The real answer is don't buy vista just stick with XP its a shit OS.
Judging by your answer, i'm going to take a guess and say that you have never used vista before. What you say is not true. If you have a decent enough machine, Vista is more responsive than XP can ever be. Try vista before you bash it.

I bought Vista Ultimate and will probably install in this weekend. I hear good things about it.

As for your question about whether to get Upgrade or Full, I'd say go for Upgrade even if you don't have XP anymore. Upgrade actually have the full version in it, and you can fool it into thinking a trial version is the previous OS.

Here's a great write-up on how to install Upgrade versions on a clean drive: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1202605

Back