Which version of Linux for media server?

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
Linux noob here, The names that are sticking out to me are Debian 5, Ubuntu 10.10, and Fedora 14. What I'm trying to do is stream/transcode media to my PS3 with PS3 Media Server or Media Tomb. I use PSMS on my desktop, don't know anything about Media Tomb or if it's better/worse. The 2nd thing I want to do is have SABNZBD and SickBeard handling usenet downloads. I'm not worried about having automatic backups or anything along those lines, just taking care of my media.

Before my brain explodes with all the other details, which distribution should I use for ease of use/reliabilty? Thanks.

They'll all work, and suit your needs. I've run PS3MS on Debian/Ubuntu for over a year now back and forth...getting ready to try it on gentoo for a more purpose driven system.

I've installed it on fedora before as well - worked there too.

I'm fairly certain you wont have too much trouble getting it to run under most distros

Did you use the desktop versions or server versions? Was there one you preferred over the others?

Did you use the desktop versions or server versions? Was there one you preferred over the others?

I use just a regular desktop version of anything for the most part. The only part that sucks about that is some of the bloated install. (I don't play games etc).

But since storage is cheap (I have a few tb on my server) I barely think about it now.

Back