which ver of Win7 to which PC

Kaash

Limp Gawd
So i have 2 PC, 1 is a media server that does not have an activated version of win7 home premium. My other PC is my gaming tower that is genuine. I now have a legal copy of win 7 pro and dont know which system i should install it on. If i install it on my gaming plateform will i be able to move the key over to the server to activate it? Thanks for your input.

v/r
Kaash

We need more data. Are your licenses retail or OEM? Windows 7 licensing draws a distinction between the two and does not allow an OEM license to be transferred to a different machine. (Whether that's meaningful as a practical matter is a different issue. ;) ) If your gaming tower came pre-built with Windows pre-installed then likely it has a non-transferable OEM license.

While the "Pro" version of Windows 7 does bring more to the table than the "Home Premium" version, in a home environment it's highly likely you would never use any of the additional features Pro offers. Unless you can identify some specific feature of Pro that you need on your gaming rig I'd just install it on your new machine and be done with it.

Gaming PC would be better with the pro, but it really doesn't matter for either. You are not doing anything crazy enough.

Any version of windows 7 that is under pro or ultimate has a ram limit of 8 or 16gb.

This does not work on my windows 7 PCs so I only use pro or ultimate for ram support. If your machine will never go above 16gb then it will not matter.

If you ever want to pump the machine full of ram later then you will have to upgrade windows 7 or buy the new window because microsoft is lame.

windows 7 pro and ultimate/enterprize have ram support of up to 192gb.

ultimate and i think also come with a free virtual version of windows XP I use all the time I run it as virtual server or any other crazed thing I want to do with it. Pro Might get it now maybe I have not checked in a long time.

you can use virtual box though but it does not include the OS.

in your case you could go crazy and make virtual media servers on the same machine if you wanted they would also be more hack and virus resistant since it is not a real PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNFczLYBtrA

3dfb1e52-e53c-40d5-839a-0265ee71db29_0.jpg

Last edited:
Back