Which used PS3 to buy?

King Icewind

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to buy a used PS3 since I skipped it and all of its exclusives for a 360. I also dont like PS Now's structuring, and I'm not very optimistic it will ever be worth it over having the games for ever and cheaper. There's quite a few revisions with various issus. Which one would be the best to buy?

I have a PS4 already.

Thanks a bunch.

Sorry if this has been posted a millions times. I didn't find anything in the search.

Just my $.02 if you have any desire to play any PS1 or PS2 games go for the original 60GB version. Keep in mind this one is going to be the loudest and use the most power, which may or may not be a deal breaker.

If that isn't anything you care about just get a slim or super slim at the cheapest you can find. The hard drive is replaceable so you could upgrade it in the future if it wasn't big enough.

Last edited:
I'd go super slim I've had to send in to many slot load ps3s including my launch and second slim always happened out of warranty and Sony charges $100 per repair.

So I replaced mine with super slim they top load

I'd go with the super slim as well. I haven't had any problems with my slot loading slim, but if you're in the market for a PS3, might as well get the latest version. If you only plan to play PS1/PS2 games, just find a used PS2 slim on eBay or something.

I have a modded PS2 somewhere that I haven't powered on in years.

Original fat models had the YLOD issue with the internal power supplies. The issue wasn't very publicized or acknowledged by Sony, but it seemed to plague a lot of users. Fats also have the dreaded Sony habit of the optical drive just start refusing to read any disc after the warranty expired. The original slim had overheating issues...

I would just buy a super slim and be done with it. I haven't had any issues with my 500GB version for about a year now. Is definitely the quietest and coolest running version in my experience. Top-loading optical drive is a bonus.
I'd go super slim I've had to send in to many slot load ps3s including my launch and second slim always happened out of warranty and Sony charges $100 per repair.

So I replaced mine with super slim they top load
The original slim model included a screw on the bottom that you could use to manually eject games should the slot loader stop working or you have a power issue. I just got into the habit of never leaving a game or movie in the system when powering down.

The 60GB Fat model is the best on paper...but the YLOD fears are real. It's happened to me and several other owners I know. The caveat is that if you don't have that model, to play older games you now have to have 3 different Sony machines hooked up at once. That's kind of lame.

The 60GB Fat model is the best on paper...but the YLOD fears are real. It's happened to me and several other owners I know. The caveat is that if you don't have that model, to play older games you now have to have 3 different Sony machines hooked up at once. That's kind of lame.

Ps2 slim is so tiny and cheap now after a few fat repairs I went super slim and ps2 slim

Space with a ps4 ps3 ss and ps2 slim is nothing they fit in the same space as a Xbox og and Xbox one fit in :) trust me I know especially if you can stand all three up

Ps2 slim is so tiny and cheap now after a few fat repairs I went super slim and ps2 slim

Space with a ps4 ps3 ss and ps2 slim is nothing they fit in the same space as a Xbox og and Xbox one fit in :) trust me I know especially if you can stand all three up

For me it's not really about the space, but the number of hook-ups and how they're hooked up. I'm out of HDMI slots so any time I can kill 2 birds with one stone I do.

Don't forget there are emulators for ps1 and ps2 that load faster and look better on your rig then the original hardware for most games anyhow. I gave up on my ps2 and just made images of all my games on my HDD they load so much faster and adding in higher resolution and antialiasing and such.. it’s a total win!

Don't forget there are emulators for ps1 and ps2 that load faster and look better on your rig then the original hardware for most games anyhow. I gave up on my ps2 and just made images of all my games on my HDD they load so much faster and adding in higher resolution and antialiasing and such.. it’s a total win!

They just aren't the same as sitting down with the proper controller like I did as a kid. I will say though my N64 and PS1 look like butt on my LCD tv. :(

They just aren't the same as sitting down with the proper controller like I did as a kid. I will say though my N64 and PS1 look like butt on my LCD tv. :(
Before PS3 I used a Dualshock 2 with a USB adapter to play all my emulated Playstation games. Now I'm using a Dualshock 4 and it doesn't feel any less natural.

For your LCD TV, how are you connecting those consoles? I think they don't look too bad using the trick of connecting the composite RCA video to the green component input on the TV.

I use a usb adaptor for my ps2 controller for my rig, and hdmi out from my r9 290 to my tv, and get the full console-game-from-couch experience.

I'm also picking up a super slim. My original fat ps3 has died twice. I'm feeling the urge to play Journey again and get the MGS legacy collection & ZOE HD edition. I'd consider PS Now, but the prices don't impress me. All that is left is to choose which bundle to pick up. I'm leaning towards the Lego Edition as I want to the new Last of Us Remasted on the PS4.

Get the Slim. The Super Slim adds nothing except that it is made cheaper than the Slim. It can get kind of loud(Slim is the quietest from what I read) and the disks DO make a sound when you are playing a game. Never hear them when I play Blu-rays though. Only reason I would get the Super Slim is if you can't find the Slim for a decent price. The Super Slim was just made to be as cheap as possible.

Get the Slim. The Super Slim adds nothing except that it is made cheaper than the Slim. It can get kind of loud(Slim is the quietest from what I read) and the disks DO make a sound when you are playing a game. Never hear them when I play Blu-rays though. Only reason I would get the Super Slim is if you can't find the Slim for a decent price. The Super Slim was just made to be as cheap as possible.
The super slim does get louder because of better cooling, in my opinion. The slim had overheating issues because I think they tried to get away with more passive cooling than the thermal dynamics of the case allowed, based on what I saw when I took mine apart. I'll admit the super slim looks and feels cheaper, but I don't have any real complaints about it. I just wish they would have stuck with 4 USB ports instead of going down to 2...

The super slim does get louder because of better cooling, in my opinion. The slim had overheating issues because I think they tried to get away with more passive cooling than the thermal dynamics of the case allowed, based on what I saw when I took mine apart. I'll admit the super slim looks and feels cheaper, but I don't have any real complaints about it. I just wish they would have stuck with 4 USB ports instead of going down to 2...

Just buy this
https://de.hama.com/bilder/00115/awd/00115430awd.jpg

My super slim is the quietest of the ones I've had and I've owned every model.

Quality is same now loads faster on ps4. Standalone player still better

If you get an expensive player, yes. But most of them are pretty shitty and the PS3 is actually pretty good speed wise compared to them. (Unless there have been some drastic improvements in the past year)

If you get an expensive player, yes. But most of them are pretty shitty and the PS3 is actually pretty good speed wise compared to them. (Unless there have been some drastic improvements in the past year)

Yeah I own an oppo player so in my case that's true

I have noticed that my PS3 is having issues with newer movies... play the same movie in the laptop routed to the same equipment and no slow down. Might be time for Sony to make an update to the player to get more efficiency out of it.

Back