Which upgrade would give me better performance overall?

robo22

Weaksauce
I'm currently trying to decide over which of these parts I should upgrade next. I can go with either 2xRaptors or 2xOCZ Platinum Rev.2 512 PC3200 sticks of ram. With the rams, i'll be able to finally do some serious overclocking, but with the hd's, I'm know I'll get some serious increases in disk access time in games/programs and an increase in boot times. I do feel that right now, my boot times are horrible and I've just recently did a fresh install of windows. It takes over 10 bars to get into windows, and starting programs and extracting big files sometimes can take a while. My current hard drive is almost two years old, and I've been wanting to upgrade for quite some time now. On the other hand, I do game a lot and would usually like to play on the highest settings, so maybe an extra 500mhz or so and tighter timings can help me with that. My current kingmax pc3200 rams run at 2.5-4-4-8 even though it's rated at 2.5-3-3, so that's kind of bottlenecking the rest of my system. If anyone can help me make this decision easier, feel free to throw in a response, and if you have any other ram suggestions that's capable of 2-2-2 at 200+ besides the ocz, feel free to add that in too. My specs are listed in my sig. Thanks

first off if your thinking raid0 the raptors, dont do it. your wasting your money. RAID0 have been proven to not be faster then just a single raptor. Others disagree so its up to you. Do a search on it and see what you think.

ANyways, get one raptor and the 2 sticks of ram instead of just 2 raptors or 2 sticks you can get both.

trust me on this.

What do you think qwertyman?

If I had the extra cash, I'd definitely go for that solution. But with my current sub 400 budget, I have to choose between the two. Also I wasn't thinking of using RAID0 because of the risks vs. speed tradeoff. If I get the 36 gb raptor instead, I guess it'll work with my budget, but I'd really like to get the 78 version because with my current hd, I have it partitioned into 30/50 and I barely have any space left on my boot and games drive (the 30).

MaMMa said:
first off if your thinking raid0 the raptors, dont do it. your wasting your money. RAID0 have been proven to not be faster then just a single raptor. Others disagree so its up to you. Do a search on it and see what you think.

It depends on what your doing with the system. RAID0 can be a hell of alot faster then a single HDD if your working with large chunks of data. The reason people say its not faster for gaming is because with gaming its all about access times, not load times. RAID0 doesn't speed up access times. It probably actually decreases it just a little.

BTW, i have 2 36GB WD Raptors in RAID0.

Back