Which top quality I7 mobo?

Either, to be honest. Personally, I would pick the ASUS, but that's because my Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R just bit the dust last week.

I'll throw one in for my motherboard (P6T Deluxe). The second, double-spaced x16 slot is perfect for putting in a second GPU without sandwiching it, and the main reason why I sold the RIIE and sidegraded to this board. On top of that, it overclocks just as well as the RIIE, and still remains ATX-sized. And it's far better looking than Gigabyte's.

Big Warning: This motherboard is notorious for being fickle with RAM outside of its Qualified Vendors List. Many people misdiagnose this as a faulty RAM slot, but I know damn well, having dealt with three P6T Deluxes. I had to sell off my OCZ Platinum memory and replace it with something else.

Be safe and check the Qualified Vendors List of memory for this board before buying it.

GA-X58A-UD5

I absolutely love mine. Never had any major issues besides the slow BIOS boot :)mad:).

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I used to buy only Asus boards, prior to the Gigabyte I'm using now. They are the top two motherboard manufacturers in my opinion.

Go with whatever board you can get a better deal on, or pick by color. I prefer the Gigabyte's blue over the Asus' black and copper scheme.

I have used both Asus and Gigabyte and have been very satisfied. I too am trying to decide which one to get. A friend of mine keeps telling me to get the cheaper ASRock Extreme X58.

Any responses to that? I will be throwing in a i7-920 D0 that I just got.

Anandtech has a review of the Asrock board. Its decent.

Me after I made sure the features I wanted where there, and most other things being equal, I would download the manuals from the manuf web site and look over the bios options for the bios that seemed the easiest to understand and work with. You may or may not want a bunch of fancy options and how the bios is laid out is important to me as I am constantly tweaking so I want something easy to understand and arranged logically.

Also look at fan control and number of fan headers if OCing. A minor thing but if all else equal .....

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

Unfortunately I can't remember precisely why, and can't find the thread about it, but back a few months ago when I was shopping around, there was some reason not to go with the Gigabyte, and then when Asus was looked at I got steered away from the mentioned Asus board to the one linked above.

Then again, I went with neither brand though in the end...

I had plans to eventually do tri-SLI, which I know what part of the deciding factors, but I don't believe that was the issue between the Gigabyte and Asus decision, though...

I'll throw one in for my motherboard (P6T Deluxe). The second, double-spaced x16 slot is perfect for putting in a second GPU without sandwiching it, and the main reason why I sold the RIIE and sidegraded to this board. On top of that, it overclocks just as well as the RIIE, and still remains ATX-sized. And it's far better looking than Gigabyte's.

Big Warning: This motherboard is notorious for being fickle with RAM outside of its Qualified Vendors List. Many people misdiagnose this as a faulty RAM slot, but I know damn well, having dealt with three P6T Deluxes. I had to sell off my OCZ Platinum memory and replace it with something else.

Be safe and check the Qualified Vendors List of memory for this board before buying it.

I think im having the same issue with mine, but i think my P6T is killing my HDD too!!

I would say the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5, very solid board, built a rig for a friend with one and he has been very happy without an issue for a few months now

Haven't seen the ASUS but I am pretty happy with the GA-X58A-UD5. It's pretty packed with leading features.

No love for a board has about every color of the rainbow. Would go with Gigabyte for sure between the two.

I would buy any EVGA i7 board before either.

I just haven't had one issue with any of mine, and the CS is awesome.

I've also owned ASUS and GB boards.:D

First choice: ATX - DFI LP ULTRA-X58
MATX - DFI LP Jr-X58
Second choice: ATX - ASUS RAMPAGE 3 EXTREME(x58)
MATX - ASUS RAMPAGE 3 GENE(x58)
Third choice: ATX - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
MATX - EVGA 121-BL-E756-TR(x58)

I would buy any EVGA i7 board before either.

I just haven't had one issue with any of mine, and the CS is awesome.

I've also owned ASUS and GB boards.:D

That's what I finally went with, but I wasn't sure I should admit to that, as EVGA as far as motherboards go around here seems to be a four-letter word...

EVGA & Gigabyte are known for high overclocking but most honest reviews will hint at the fact that the chipset timings are sloppy & that's why you can get an easy overclock with rudimentary BIOS tuning. Performance at stock speeds will lag other brands by up to 10% on average, depending on the use. It's all about the latency of the chipset latch(perf. level or tRD), & other DRAM/FSB/B-Clock sub-timings. EVGA have had minor problems with underpowered PWM's blowing but have smartened up & beefed up their power delivery with Gigabyte following suit. Gigabyte has upped the ante by offering similiar features & performance at a reduced price point.....

I think ASUS is the king of stability & product maturity & their BIOS designs are really maturing into some potentially great overclocking & perfromance platforms...their boards have the best performance per clock & will run almost any stick of RAM, out of the box. Their products are well tested, well designed, well engineered & have solid build quality. Most of all, ASUS is known for having constant, reliable & well executed BIOS updates that a whole multi-billion dollar industry relies on, every day. ASUS is a huge collossal beast compared to almost any other company...

I love DFI, hands down....their products are imaginative, sexy, extremely overclockable yet can be tuned to have tight timings & latches to rival ASUS. The only thing they sucked at is tuning the AUTO mem timings & chipset parameters such as latency, voltages, etc. Also, their RMA process made you feel left behind, most of the time....

Back