which to buy 260 or 4870

is that on evga cards or all cards?

RussianHAXOR is an eVGA mod so usually most comments he makes in regards to nvidia cards pertains to eVGA.

In this case, just eVGA.

Though, XFX supports it.. and maybe BFG. Though i'm not sure so don't quote me on that.

RussianHAXOR is an eVGA mod so usually most comments he makes in regards to nvidia cards pertains to eVGA.

In this case, just eVGA.

Though, XFX supports it.. and maybe BFG. Though i'm not sure so don't quote me on that.

Correct, i cant really comment on other MFGs policies so i only state what i know on the EVGA end. Although, i can answer most general Nvidia questions as well. :)

Man, if eVGA/XFX/BFG were in both markets.. ASUS/PNY/ZOTAC/MSI/etc wouldn't STAND A CHANCE :p

I think that's for market balance, haha.

well Zotac has been pretty good to me, can't complain, now some of the others....

There is some comment on Inq today about EVGA "defecting" and supporting some other vendor besides Nvidia. But not AMD/ATI. Hm.. Who then... Matrox? S3? Intel?

if evga did they would gain some customers. all I am waiting for is the 1gb versions of the 4850 to come out.

Correct, i cant really comment on other MFGs policies so i only state what i know on the EVGA end. Although, i can answer most general Nvidia questions as well. :)

Ok, I was afraid you would be impartial to the gtx260. We can all agree that the 4870 performs better then. :D

I own both, here are my oc, my gtx 260 runs at 750/1533/1200 24/7 and is ati tool stable, any high on shaders results in artifacts in ati tool, but I can go higher on the core clock, but after about 10mhz I loose the proper ration between the core and shader clock that you have to have with these cards I believ, and the card will reset it back to the last allowed ratio. idle temps 50c, the load temps are about 65-70c that is with fan on auto. My room is airconditioned.

on my hd 4870 in which I passed on to another computer the card failed ati tool test anyting higher than 790/1100, I could run the core up to 830 but it was not atitool stable, and sometimes occasionally I would get artifacts and desktop corruption.

I have the hd 4870 bench results saved, and I will compare them to the gtx 260 in a separate thread.

There is some comment on Inq today about EVGA "defecting" and supporting some other vendor besides Nvidia. But not AMD/ATI. Hm.. Who then... Matrox? S3? Intel?

EVGA used to actually sell S3 graphics cards wayyy back when. :D BUt i really dont see any water under the bridge regarding that story. :p

EVGA used to actually sell S3 graphics cards wayyy back when. :D BUt i really dont see any water under the bridge regarding that story. :p
Really?
Are you saying EVGA has no reasons to actively look out for diversification?
Their current situation as the nVidia-only outlet must be really hurting them. There's no way around that.
BTW, I don't think it would be that easy for EVGA to become an ATI distrubitor. Besides the ATI corner is getting pretty crowded already.

Really?
Their current situation as the nVidia-only outlet must be really hurting them. There's no way around that.
BTW, I don't think it would be that easy for EVGA to become an ATI distrubitor. Besides the ATI corner is getting pretty crowded already.

Im saying that this story that is posted on the INQ seems very far fetched...

Really?

not at all, if one of the big 3 jumped in they could easily command a price premium. not just for the step up program but for the support. I would pay and extra 10% for that.

Yup, and the 4870 basically out performs the gtx260 once you start turning the resolution up and using AA / AF.

No, that's not true. They trade blows in almost every game and as you go up in resolution, especially >= 1920x1200, the GTX 260 has the edge over the HD 4870.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/11/summer-2008-graphics-performance-roundup/8

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/9

The real advantage of the HD 4870 over the GTX 260, is that it takes less of a performance hit, as you increase AA levels i.e. going from 4xAA to 8xAA usually takes no more than 5 fps.

Personaly im an nvidia fan so you know what i will say. If you could id save for the 280 : )

reading the techreport that wasn't the case with the games, the 4870 was king at 1920 by 1200, bit-tech shows only crysis and WIC with the 260, and they didn't max out the AA.

4870 > GTX260 8-9 out of ten.

Most of the people in this thread will never get near either card's potential because of your anemic clocks. Wolfdales,Conroes, lord some of you are running obsolete amd machines.
All of these will bottlenck these cards at your low clocks. Both are very capable. You are all in here arguing the most finest of fine points. it is rediculous. Buy what makes you happy and tell anyone who don't like it to stick it up their a**.

WZ

Most of the people in this thread will never get near either card's potential because of your anemic clocks. Wolfdales,Conroes, lord some of you are running obsolete amd machines.
All of these will bottlenck these cards at your low clocks. Both are very capable. You are all in here arguing the most finest of fine points. it is rediculous. Buy what makes you happy and tell anyone who don't like it to stick it up their a**.

WZ

a lot of people like their Wolfdales, Conroes, and AMD machines at their low clocks. so stick it up your a**. :D

I got a gtx 260 but I never tested 8X WITH 177.41 drivers, but I recently installed the 177.61 oem driver, and in lost planet going from 4xaa to 8xaa it took a close to 7fps hit, from 67.1 to 59.6 respectively with the built in benchmark. this is at 1920x1200

I benched half life episode 2 and the fps was 155 with 4xAA and 145 with 8xAA at 1920x1200 so I think that with this driver the AA performance probably has improved, but do note that I never tested the 177.41 driver, but from 4xAA to 8xAA the hit seems to be pretty insignificant. specially with high fps in half life 2, and in lost planet it is even less.

I also have a hd 4870, the AA results were the same in lost planet.

and in 3d mark06 with 8xAA I got 10500+ with hd 4870 and 12700+ with gtx 260

my gtx 260 is running at 756/1533/1200, so it may be that 575 stock clock could be a limiting factor in AA performance, as the ROP's probably benefit from higher core clock, since the hd 4870 is running at 750 core clock.

my hd 4870 which I put in my dads system now and have no access too, was kinda flaky on the overclock, it was stable at 850 for two days and than a few days later it would not go above 790, so I can not comment on the oc on that one, may it was a driver issue or what, but performance wise they are the same or with my current OC and running the gtx 260 at the stock core clock of hd 4870 it actually handly beats the hd 4870 easily, crysis I get about 5fps average higher than I did with the oc'ed hd 4870 at 1920x1200, I had few benchmarks written down and I am currently comparing it to the hd 4870, almost all gtx 260's oc atleast 700, and you cant go wrong with the gtx at those clocks, and nvidia being in bed with developers,lol. it is a win for everyone who has nvidia cards.

write now I can switch to the hd 4870 if I want but overall a gtx 260 specially running at 750 it actually beats the gtx stock at those clocks. I would actually grab the gtx 260 over my hd 4870, it just feels alot better in games, but you cant go wrong with either cards, and with high core clocks I get the same AA performance that I got with hd 4870, I think the hit that gtx 260 and 280 take with 8xAA are probably due to low core clocks.

Back