Which Temps Are Right On Striker Extreme??

d44ve

Limp Gawd
OK... I have a Striker Extreme MB w\e6600 processor. I am water cooling it also.

I have three differant temp. monitors with three WAY differant numbers.

Note : all these are at idle and no OC.....

The first temp sensor is the external kind with the 2 pin connector. I have it underneath the water block and on top of the CPU.

The temp I get from that from the waterchill LC monitor is 44c

The second is the temp in bios and that is reading 58c

The third monitor is "Core Temp 0.95" and that is reading 69c

I am using regular "generic" thermal paste for right now.

Please give a NooB some help here. Any feedback is appreciated!

The first temp sensor is the external kind with the 2 pin connector. I have it underneath the water block and on top of the CPU.

i hope that it isnt actualy between the cpu and the water block. you put it on the edge of the heat spreader right? coretemp is 99.75% accurate (theres a very small number of times its wrong) so seeing 70c at idle at stock would suggest that you actualy did put a temp probe where you shouldnt have and its causing the water block to make very poor contact with the chip you need to remove this immediately. and you will have to reapply some clean thermal paste when you do this, AS5 would be nice but if you only have generic its better then nothing. but you cannot reuse whats there. in the future if you must use a temp probe get some copper tape and tape it to the very edge of the heat spreader, making sure the tape and the sensor do not touch anywhere on the top surface of the spreader and sit underneath the height of the block so that proper connection is made.
with the LGA775 bracket its almost impossible to do this, so i would say get rid of it.

Back