Which Tablet is The Clear Winner?

Cyraxx

Supreme [H]ardness
Need some fellow help from [H] Tablet Goer's

My girlfriend is in need of a tablet - she is going on a trip for 3+ months and wants to be able to Skype and such from a hotel room. She doesn't want a clunky laptop - so this is where a good tablet comes into play.

Personally, I have an HP Touchpad that I would love to just let her borrow while on the trip. The problem is that there is no way (to my knowledge) of a way to Skype on it (with or without Android).

What is wanted:
-Mini HDMI is... highly desired - the ability to have a movie and hook it up to the TV when needed is much desired. Hence, the main hate I have for the new Samsung Galaxy Tab
-Size of HD doesn't matter
-Micro/Normal SD Card is desired to makeup for any loss of HD space
-An overall good value desired
-High Resolution is a plus, but I'm convinced the human eye can't always tell the difference (*Cough* Retina display *Cough*)
-More than 1GB Memory is a plus
-3G/4G a plus - though we don't ever see ourselves paying 10$ a month, so it's not important

Up on the table for consideration:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (no HDMI, no USB, the Pen is a slight plus, 2GB memory, split screen feature) $499
Apple iPad 3 (iOS / Apple Regulations suck, no HDMI, no USB, Retina High Resolution Display) $499
Acer Iconia A500 (Higher Resoltuion, USB, HDMI, 1GB Memory, 32GB HD) $449
Toshiba Excite 10 Tablet $399 (Micro USB, HDMI, 1GB Memory, lower price)

Or... is right now just not a good time to buy a tablet? Or is there another option I am missing? Either way, I am not seeing a clear winner anywhere :( And she is need of one soon before the big trip. Anyone that can show a clear winner here?

At this point, unless you have specific needs or overwhelming zealotry, "Best Tablet" is going to default to the iPad. Without having a list of needs beyond Skype, it's kind of hard to really fine things down.

Your checklist:
- (HDMI) The iPad will do HDMI with -- of course -- a $40 adapter. It works pretty well. Note that, if she's planning to use this feature in the hotel, most hotels I've been in have their televisions locked down to the point that they're useless for anything other than the hotel's pay-per-view service. They specifically buy TVs without HDMI ports or with lockout capabilities. They're douchey like that.
- (Storage) It doesn't matter until it does. Buy what you can afford, then ride it out. Base your storage needs on your smartphone's storage consumption (assuming you have one).
- (SD Card) Unless there's a dire lack of space in the tablet itself, I generally don't find much use for this. Only exception is if I feel the need to load it up with videos -- which I never do. YMMV.
- (Value) ...is in the eye of the beholder? $400-$500 (+$130 for 4G) is pretty much the going rate for a quality 10" tablet. (Subtract ~$150 for 7") South of that, you lose features (Kindle Fire), support (TouchPad), or build quality (Nexus 7). North, you're mostly getting bent over a barrel for additional space. (Damn you, Apple...) I don't see enough actual variability in this to matter; if I'm going to blow several hundred on what amounts to a gadget, I'm going to do it right up-front.
- (HiDPI) It matters. It matters a lot. I hate to sound too glowing, but going from my TouchPad to my iPad{3} is damned near a revelation.
- (RAM) Entirely pointless. For current tablet OS's, more memory adds exactly nothing. And it really won't do much for futureproofing, as devices will run up against other constraints (memory bandwidth; cpu/gpu speed; OEM asshattery) which prevent updates. Don't bother wasting mindshare on this.
- (WWAN) You might want to bump this option up the queue. WiFi in the hotels I've been in is crap at best. There are too many people on too few access points. There isn't enough bandwidth. It craps out at random intervals. They use terrible captive portal systems which block traffic which isn't standard HTTP(S). Traffic is open and unencrypted. And as often as not, they'll screw you to the tune of $5-$10 a day (or more) for the privilege. In light of this, paying the extra ~$130 for a 4G-capable tablet and using prepaid data starts to look appealing. And as a bonus, you end up with the worlds greatest WiFi (/ Bluetooth) hotspot. (The iPad{3} will give more than 24 hours of continuous LTE access; not sure about other tablets, but they'll be far better than the ~4 hours which is the gold standard for standalone hotspots.)

Whatever you do, consider getting whatever accidental damage protection is offered for the tablet. (Applecare; SquareTrade; etc...) It might just save your relationship.

Don't forget about the Microsoft Surface tablets coming out real soon. Not sure if they'll be out in time though...

Kindle fire hd is a nice alternative imo, based on the research I've done.

I'd say no to the Galaxy Note 10.1. A $500 tablet with only a 1280x800 resolution is just a fail in 2012.
I'd say no to the Acer A700. It seems to have poor performance issues.
I'd say maybe to the Toshiba Excite. I really don't think of Toshiba when I think of tablets.

I'd say a big yes to the ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700. No idea why the best Android tablet isn't on your list. The fastest Tegra 3, high DPI screen, best keyboard dock, and micro HDMI.

I'd say a yes to the iPad 3 as well, it's a great tablet if you are more app focused.

If you want to go more budget and can sacrifice the micro HDMI, the Nexus 7 is a pretty good $250 tablet.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, the Kindle Fire HD might even be something to look at as it has more storage, micro HDMI, better speakers and display. And the Skype app is in the Amazon Appstore. Also has probably the best wifi in a tablet, which might be handy in some hotels.

I have an ipad2 64gig 3g, the thing is perma attached to my hands and i was an ardent hater of tablets previously.

I have never used more than 30 gig space on it and barely use the 3g, 3g is all this country has, but I would recommend an iPad to anyone.

Although saying that, I preferred ios5 to 6, 6 seems to increase battery consumption and also the wifi keeps dropping when it NEVER dropped before, this only happened after the update, also you lose google maps app and youtube app, you can still access them via webpages mind you.

Just a couple of things to be aware of, also my battery and wifi problems may be caused by something other than the ios6 update, but personally i don't think so.

So i would say a middle of the range ipad 3 would be one of the better but more costly options.

For 3 months? I'd definitely go with the Asus Transformer line. If she's not taking a laptop, I'm sure the lack of keyboard will eventually become annoying, which the Transformer can take care of.

New Nook 7"

$199
HDMI
MicroSD slot
1440x900 resolution (highest of any 7" tablet).

But I don't know if it has mic/camera for skype.

T-Mobile Springboard, somehow the most full featured tablet that no one's ever heard of. I'm not sure that I'd recommend a new one right now unless it's on sale, they're getting a bit older.
7" IPS display
1280x800 resolution
microSD slot
16GB storage
1GB ram
Dual core OMAP CPU
micro HDMI out
Front and rear facing cameras, 1.3/5MP respectively
3G/4G GSM cellular (T-Mo/ATT, wifi, bluetooth)
Single piece machined aluminium body
Android 4.0 ICS

The human eye most definitely can tell the different in a retina-level display for any kind of text based info...web pages, reading PDFs, e-books, etc. It won't matter a whole is for movies, however. At this size screen, the difference between 720p and 1080p is not worth talking about.

I would probably look at the Asus, but read the reviews on amazon first...a lot of tech-savvy users are complaining about this device and Asus. The safest best is the iPad and the HDMI cable and an Airstash, but you're spending some money there! :)

Just go down to your local tech store, best buy, office max, etc...and look at them yourself. A lot of the complaints about the Asus are build quality i.e. glass not centered, flexxing, etc...and none of the ones I looked at had those problems. Every app I've sideloaded or played with has ran perfectly fine.

The stock phone app on the touchpad uses skype. Go under settings and there is a place to log in to skype under the accounts tab

Just go down to your local tech store, best buy, office max, etc...and look at them yourself. A lot of the complaints about the Asus are build quality i.e. glass not centered, flexxing, etc...and none of the ones I looked at had those problems. Every app I've sideloaded or played with has ran perfectly fine.

How is its performance?

I'm been wanting an Asus tab for a long time...and really thought this was the one to get...but I can't afford another bad tablet purchase...I want one more (ok...i'm a bit of a tablet nut) and I want it HD and Android (why can't they put JB on there? -- What is the deal with stuff not getting JB? Even new 'droids don't seem to be released with it -- frustrating, if you ask me).

JB is out for the Infinity and has been so for a couple weeks now. I don't know how to quantify performance for you other than to say it is smooth, fast, and the screen is amazing. The only real negative I have is that the sound sucks and sucks bad through the stock speaker. Placement of the speaker is exactly where I would hold in landscape mode by my right hand so some tasks, mostly games, kinda suck because of that. It is easily remedied by using a pair of headphones thought but still, the Samsung Note 10.1 sounds amazing compared to the Infinity.

For multimedia, .pdf's, school work, etc...it performs flawlessly and does everything I ask of it, I paired my Nikon to it and use it for photography and it works excellent in that regards as well. I am fairly pleased with its performance. The price is a bit of a downer at $700 is getting up there. I bought a Lenovo y580 for school and some portable gaming for $900 and while not as portable, it is of course a much more capable device for pretty much everything for only $200 more.

Great to know that JB is out for the Infinity. It does seem like speakers have been a general problem for most tablets.

Just returned Ipad 3 to the store, was sorely disappointed with all the inherit limitations of the OS and basic USB connectivity. Looked at a TF700 yesterday, but after playing with it, I've decided to wait for Surface.

I've played with a few tabs in the last year and just about every single one leave me thinking that "something" is missing. I thought it was the need for high res, and while that was a valid point, it still feels like too much basic functionality is missing. Since Surface has a true desktop OS running on it, I think I wasting my time with anything else, so I'm gonna wait.

surface is appealing.

try a kindle fire hd 7" for$200.

free 30 day trial period...

limitations are abit easier to swallow when the price of entry is reduced.

Just returned Ipad 3 to the store, was sorely disappointed with all the inherit limitations of the OS and basic USB connectivity. Looked at a TF700 yesterday, but after playing with it, I've decided to wait for Surface.

I've played with a few tabs in the last year and just about every single one leave me thinking that "something" is missing. I thought it was the need for high res, and while that was a valid point, it still feels like too much basic functionality is missing. Since Surface has a true desktop OS running on it, I think I wasting my time with anything else, so I'm gonna wait.

The regular Surface that is coming first will only run Windows RT. So that won't give you a true desktop experience since it won't run any x86 applications. You'll just be limited to the very small selection of "Windows 8" style apps in the market. And that is going to be quite limiting compared to Android and iOS.

The Surface Pro will run on x86 hardware and run Windows 8 Pro, so will be a true desktop experience with all those x86 apps. But that isn't expected until January. And will be quite expensive. And another trade off is x86 tablets are going to be bulkier and heavier.

The regular Surface that is coming first will only run Windows RT. So that won't give you a true desktop experience since it won't run any x86 applications. You'll just be limited to the very small selection of "Windows 8" style apps in the market. And that is going to be quite limiting compared to Android and iOS.

The Surface Pro will run on x86 hardware and run Windows 8 Pro, so will be a true desktop experience with all those x86 apps. But that isn't expected until January. And will be quite expensive. And another trade off is x86 tablets are going to be bulkier and heavier.

Yup, exactly.
January isn't that far off. Got the dough ready to go. Just playing the waiting game right now.

You might want to sit tight for a few weeks, as apple is expected to release an 'iPad mini' very soon, which might be a compelling option.

You might want to sit tight for a few weeks, as apple is expected to release an 'iPad mini' very soon, which might be a compelling option.

If you are looking for "less".
Most of us here are looking for "more".
Case in point, I just returned Ipad 3 cause it wasn't "enough". Ipad mini will be, uh..... inadequate. Surface will/is the only solution for me at the moment.

I just bought my friend the earlier Asus tablet (TF101), bought a used one for cheap, and its perfect for all the things you listed. My point is tablets are not devices that need to be high end for most people's uses.

i picked up a tf700 a few days ago.

at first i was a bit annoyed by the input lag. but todays jb update makes that completely a thing of the past. this thing is a proper netbook hell, even laptop replacement.

right now im typing this with a keyboard plugged into usb, didnt need to install anything, bluetooth mouse, plugged into a 1080p 23" hp monitor. no lag, no problems, everything just works.

ive found in my older age, i dont really dig anything thats coming out on the pc gaming wise. why selling my rig and picking this up seemed to make sense. i watch movies, surf the web, and occasionally play the odd game here and there. this thing is fulfilling all of my needs, and it can go anywhere i need it to. its fast as hell now. nvidia really hit it out of the park with tegra 3. especially after the jb update.

i cant reccomend this tablet enough. it rocks. :D

This, +1, totally agree!

Every tablet I've ever tried has had something missing. The new W8 tablets will be a huge success imho.

This, +1, totally agree!

Every tablet I've ever tried has had something missing. The new W8 tablets will be a huge success imho.

I think they'll only be a success if they are a valid windows laptop replacement. If the ultrabooks are relegated to the past because Surface just rocks the house, I'll be pleased. But for $800, it better be hellaciously good.

Call me a geek, but full version MS Excel on a tablet with some sort of wireless keyboard and mouse is a total nerdgasm. But $800 is four kindle fires...so there's a bit of a hurdle.

Like I said, if it can make ultrabooks irrelevant, they will be around for good. And I desperately hope so, Apple needs someone to bitch slap them right now.

Transformer TF300. Transformers are very good and somewhat rugged, but when they do break, customer support is hell.

multitask.jpg

I don't actually do this while playing, but i do have my videos in a corner (720p via NAS) while i'm using it (Browsing, answering emails, etc.). These new tablets have plenty of power. Considerably overkill for just browsing and email.

Of course, this screenie isn't specific to the TF300, it's a common function on ICS devices (Honeycomb?).

i picked up a tf700 a few days ago.

at first i was a bit annoyed by the input lag. but todays jb update makes that completely a thing of the past. this thing is a proper netbook hell, even laptop replacement.

right now im typing this with a keyboard plugged into usb, didnt need to install anything, bluetooth mouse, plugged into a 1080p 23" hp monitor. no lag, no problems, everything just works.

ive found in my older age, i dont really dig anything thats coming out on the pc gaming wise. why selling my rig and picking this up seemed to make sense. i watch movies, surf the web, and occasionally play the odd game here and there. this thing is fulfilling all of my needs, and it can go anywhere i need it to. its fast as hell now. nvidia really hit it out of the park with tegra 3. especially after the jb update.

i cant reccomend this tablet enough. it rocks. :D

Has anyone done a youtube vid on the tf700 running jb? I really want one, but I need to make absolutely, 100% sure it's going to be all it is supposed to be. I don't want to buy another tab for a long time....

Need some fellow help from [H] Tablet Goer's

My girlfriend is in need of a tablet - she is going on a trip for 3+ months and wants to be able to Skype and such from a hotel room. She doesn't want a clunky laptop - so this is where a good tablet comes into play.

Personally, I have an HP Touchpad that I would love to just let her borrow while on the trip. The problem is that there is no way (to my knowledge) of a way to Skype on it (with or without Android).

What is wanted:
-Mini HDMI is... highly desired - the ability to have a movie and hook it up to the TV when needed is much desired. Hence, the main hate I have for the new Samsung Galaxy Tab
-Size of HD doesn't matter
-Micro/Normal SD Card is desired to makeup for any loss of HD space
-An overall good value desired
-High Resolution is a plus, but I'm convinced the human eye can't always tell the difference (*Cough* Retina display *Cough*)
-More than 1GB Memory is a plus
-3G/4G a plus - though we don't ever see ourselves paying 10$ a month, so it's not important

Up on the table for consideration:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (no HDMI, no USB, the Pen is a slight plus, 2GB memory, split screen feature) $499
Apple iPad 3 (iOS / Apple Regulations suck, no HDMI, no USB, Retina High Resolution Display) $499
Acer Iconia A500 (Higher Resoltuion, USB, HDMI, 1GB Memory, 32GB HD) $449
Toshiba Excite 10 Tablet $399 (Micro USB, HDMI, 1GB Memory, lower price)

Or... is right now just not a good time to buy a tablet? Or is there another option I am missing? Either way, I am not seeing a clear winner anywhere :( And she is need of one soon before the big trip. Anyone that can show a clear winner here?

Your forgetting and i know some of you will try and hate on this , but the Blackberry playbook, follow me while i say why.

- HDMI - 10.00 cable and done.

- No Micro SD but it comes in 16/32/64 all of which are cheaper than any you mentioned.

-Value - Well it has more PPI than the ipad , its smaller and more portable. and CHEAPER!
- Display - as mentioned above it has more PPI than the ipad , and plays both blackberry apps and android ones. ( sideload what isn't readily avaliable very easy)

it has 1gb of memory

and you can get a lte version. is you so desired.

my take.

Why don't you and your GF go to a Bestbuy and try out some tablets. Let her see which one she likes, since it is supposed to be for her.

If you are looking for "less".
Most of us here are looking for "more".
Case in point, I just returned Ipad 3 cause it wasn't "enough". Ipad mini will be, uh..... inadequate. Surface will/is the only solution for me at the moment.

I have had probably 10 android tablets. My last android tab was the asus Prime. I was waiting for the TF700, but when it initially released, it had a few flaws. I chose to not purchase it.

I ended up buying the Ipad 3. I have had it for 4 months and it has everything that I have ever wanted. And beats the crap out of any android tablets I have ever had.

So in closing, what are your expectations for a tablet? The Ipad seems to be the top tier of the tablet world. :D

I have had probably 10 android tablets. My last android tab was the asus Prime. I was waiting for the TF700, but when it initially released, it had a few flaws. I chose to not purchase it.

I ended up buying the Ipad 3. I have had it for 4 months and it has everything that I have ever wanted. And beats the crap out of any android tablets I have ever had.

So in closing, what are your expectations for a tablet? The Ipad seems to be the top tier of the tablet world. :D

Scroll up...

Thats why, and other things, but this is a forum post, not a blog, so I will spare you all. Its mostly an issue with integration with other technologies. (Yes I am being broad, but thats the point)

I have a kindle fire HD and am very happy with it. Does all I need it to and side loading apps is actually super easy for stuff that isn't in the amazon store.

FYI

i should revise my last statement a bit as i ended up taking the asus back after almost 2 weeks with it.

it was a nice tablet, really nice. but even with jelly bean, after you installed a bunch of apps, things still really started to slow down. it got to the point where the input lag became so bad that it even made using google now and enterting urls into the browser was such a pain that it wasnt worth it anymore.

i exhanged it for a new ipad 32 with a keyboard case. problem solved. as much as i wanted to avoid apple, they simply have the best tablet right now. hardware specs aside. hardware doesnt matter if the os and apps are so slow that you cant even enter in web addresses quickly.

My vote for the iPad 3. I owned three android tablets before mine and they were simply unbearable junk piles. As much as I dislike Apple there is nothing close to the iPad. If HDMI is important just get the adapter.

Back