Which Switch? (24 Port Gigabit Managed)

I have been running two of those netgears for almost 3 years.... never had a single problem.... flawless operation. FWIW.

I've used a lot of the Linksys SRW series....matter of fact this week getting quite a few of their higher density 48 port models with fiber SX miniGBICs for a nursing home upgrade. Been using the SRW series for a few years now since they came out.

Years ago I was a Netgear reseller also..but one time their support really threw me under the bus with a client....as far as an RMA process...so I stopped.

At NewEgg the Linksys one is $150 more expensive than the Netgear one. Is there that much added value in the Linksys switch?

I noticed that too. I don't know much about some of the protocols and standards listed on the spec sheets to know if they are important. So I'm hoping someone here will tell me the difference and what it means to me.

Well first..what are you looking for a managed switch for? Doing VLANs? What features are you seeking? Do you need all ports to be giga? Do you need fiber?

Is this is just for a home setup, you could probably get by with an unmanaged.

At 24 ports, unmanaged and web-managed are similarly priced. Might as well get an inexpensive web-managed one. The firmware will be upgradeable, and you can also totally screw up your network if you want to...

The linksys supports 802.1x authentication, the Netgear doesn't. Probably not important for a home user.

Unfortunetly the Linksys really is worth the extra money. We're about to buy 3 of the same switches after doing some research. I've always been a big Linksys fan for awhile now, these switches are good stuff.

Never buy netgear man, it's like a ford, made to break

Unfortunetly the Linksys really is worth the extra money. We're about to buy 3 of the same switches after doing some research. I've always been a big Linksys fan for awhile now, these switches are good stuff.

Never buy netgear man, it's like a ford, made to break

that's why I have 2, and have never had ANY problems after 3 years, right??

Is this is just for a home setup, you could probably get by with an unmanaged.

I already have unmanaged. More unmanaged switches just wouldn't be '[H]ard'.

Hehe, kidding asside, I want to play with and learn more about layer two switches. I also want to set up vlans. Most of my devices support Gig so I am just going with it although I know it won't be fully used or used well at all since there seems to be a Jumbo Frame size descrepency in some consumer Gig equipment.

I think I've settled on the Linksys. But does anyone have a hardware/software suggestion on how to route all those vlans?

that's why I have 2, and have never had ANY problems after 3 years, right??

You have 2 out of the 2,000,000 sold. Ok so you represent .0001% of the total products sold, and you had no problem. Unfortunetly the other 99.9999% of the products had multiple issues, doa, and early failure. All I am saying is that Linksys is a better brand for reliability, features, and ease of use.

We have about 200 of those 24 port Linksys SRW class managed switches in our retail locations. We like them a lot so far.

Thanks all. I purchased the Linksys SRW2024 yesterday from Dell. The best part is it's already on the delivery truck!

Back