Which sub $900 4k tv 50 or 55 inch?

d50man

2[H]4U
Which $1200 4k tv 50 to 60 inch going to go on a new htpc next month?

don't need 3d but has to have low lag and *prefer ips*

Last edited:
Probably a Samsung ju6700, if your specifically looking for a TV. Though you would need hdmi 2.0 on ur gpu

i was lookin at m55-c2 vs UN50JU6500 but i don't think either is an ips panel also i don't think they couls do 120hz @1080p... still searching.

deaeius can you tell me more about the m55?

Last edited:
The m55 does do 120hz 1080p. As well as the 60hz 4k, HDCP 2.2 compliant. It also does an awesome job with 1080p upscale. I was pretty surprised by the TV, the 55" is IPS smaller sizes are VA.

Its good stuff and the price is pretty solid as well.

love me my Vizio M55c2

with redcard and cartwheel coupon at the time, tv was $834 out the door at Target.

Blacks are blacker than my '09 Panasonic Viera Plasma and great picture quality.

The samsung mentioned does 4:4:4 color will I miss anything going with the vizio?

No 4:4:4 on Vizio, which is a shame. It has very low input lag and great contrast for a low price. Maybe next round they will target HTPC.

I have the M55-C2 stating that it does not have 4:4:4 is incorrect. It has 4:4:4 support.

probably gonna get the M55-C2 and extended warranty.....
BTW is the M55-c2 IPS or not i need the off axis visibility.

Last edited:
There is only confusion about the panel type used in the 55''
First there was this:

"VA or IPS: Vizio is mixing in two different types of LCD panels on the M series. Almost all sizes, including the one I tested for this review, use VA (Vertical Alignment) panels, which in our experience deliver superior black level performance and overall picture quality compared to IPS (In-Plane Switching) panels.
The 49-inch size is only available in IPS, so it's not included in this review. I recommend getting the 50-inch M series over the 49-inch version for this reason alone.
The 55-inch size, according to Vizio, will start shipping with VA panels and then move to IPS panel technology later in the year. When I asked them why they took this unusual step with the E series they responded "Since our volume in E-Series is so large, panel suppliers cannot keep up with the demand for certain sizes." I assume the company would give the same reason for the different panel types on the M.
Unfortunately the only way to tell a VA-equipped 55-inch M series from one with an IPS panel is via the serial number. The method is the same as it was for the E series. "If the 4th digit of the serial number is a J or 7, that unit uses an IPS panel. For example, LWZJSEARxxxxxxx or LTM7SHARxxxxxxx. All other serial numbers for 2015 M-Series will be units using VA panels."

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...78529-clearing-up-vizio-misconceptions-8.html

But in the meantime that CNET article was updated:

"Vizio originally told me that it would also be using IPS panels on the 55-inch version of the M series, but after this review published it changed its tune. It now says all 55-inch M series TVs will exclusively use VA panels, leaving the 49-inch size as the only 2015 M series with IPS. I have modified this review accordingly."

http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m-series-2015/

daedius,ocbaud look at your M55-C2 from an extreme side angle, if it washes out (desaturation & highlighting) its VA if it just gets a bit darker its IPS

Last edited:
Wow, I did not catch this, thank you igluk,

The 4th digit in the serial number is a W. And confirmed from the side view experiences desaturation the visual quality is diminished but not tooooooo much after checking out different content. This appears to be a VA panel. As the review states the Blacks are pretty incredible and what sold me on the tv in the store.

serial on mine is a W also.

Doesn't bother met at all. There is no room where it's at to view it at an angle that would degrade the picture any how where it's mounted.

I am the same way it is more like a 90degree viewing angle at max the quality is just solid, that's all that matters to me.

Alright going to wait a little longer and try to get a true 120hz model like the Samsung UN50JU7100 or VIZIO M60-C3 or Sony XBR55X800B.

Any new models with IPS?

budget pushed to $1200 now going to wait another pay period to purchase

Then you'll be able to get the 49 inch X830C since it's $1000. Pretty sure there's no other IPS options out there that will offer what the Sony does. The LG TVs do not support 1080p 120Hz and have even higher input lag. The Vizio and Samsungs use VA panels. Not sure about other brands such as Sharp, Phillips, or Panasonic.

Then you'll be able to get the 49 inch X830C since it's $1000. Pretty sure there's no other IPS options out there that will offer what the Sony does. The LG TVs do not support 1080p 120Hz and have even higher input lag. The Vizio and Samsungs use VA panels. Not sure about other brands such as Sharp, Phillips, or Panasonic.

Whats the point having 120hz @ 1080p if input lag is high? Thats not good for competition games and nobody wants play all other games at that resolution with so big screen.

Whats the point having 120hz @ 1080p if input lag is high? Thats not good for competition games and nobody wants play all other games at that resolution with so big screen.

That's what I think too but apparently some people on here actually care about that so I thought it was worth mentioning.

GPUs to push 4k gaming @60fps constant $$$$, not in the budget hell I don't even have a TV right now.
I have watched exclusively on my PC for a year.

Back