Which scoket for Kaveri & Richland?

provoko

Gawd
Which socket will I need to support both Richland and Kaveri? Also will Richland work on FM3? Lastly, does FM3 do anything special compared to FM2?

Thanks.

Richland is FM2 and we don't know anything regarding Kaveri just yet. It could be FM3 or it could be FM2+ with partial backwards compatibility, depending on socket and manufacturer's BIOS.

Kaveri is FM2, it will be compatible with FM2 boards. However, true support, as stated, is up to the manufacturer. AMD has stated that FM2 will remain their mainstream socket for the next 3 years at the release of Trinity last year.

Thanks. From what I've been reading, Kaveri will be compatible with both.

Some better questions:
When will Richland be released to desktop?
When will Kaveri be released to desktop?
When will Richland be released in a laptop?
When will Kaveri be released in a laptop?

Laptop and desktop are usually within 1-2 months of each other, if not at the same time.

The exception was Trinity, where there was an almost 3 month difference.

Richland should appear in the next couple weeks, in fact, they should be shipping to OEMs now.

Kaveri is slated to be released 2H 2013. That means anywhere from July to December. I'm leaning more towards late 2013, like November/December.

Yeah, AMD's announcement of sticking with FM2 is what pushed me over the edge into buying an APU system. Definitely looking forward to upgrading my GPU, processor architecture and memory controller in one fell swoop. :p

i think pcper discovered that trinity was technically capable of PCIe 3.0, it was just never validated as such de to lack of time.

presumably that means that the the FM2 board infrastructure is capable of PCIe 3.0, even if it is not electrically enabled and/or supported by the chipset.

it may be a very similar situation to Z68 boards, some later varients of which would work in PCIe 3.0 moder provided they were partnered with an ivy-bridge CPU.

whether AMD will wish to formalise this by calling it FM2+.................

Yeah, AMD's announcement of sticking with FM2 is what pushed me over the edge into buying an APU system. Definitely looking forward to upgrading my GPU, processor architecture and memory controller in one fell swoop. :p

How are games? Are you overclocked?

Back