Which Samsung Series SSD for my MacBook

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I am looking for a 2TB SSD for my 15 inch MacBook Pro 2015 model
Though that MacBook already has an SSD, and its smooth, but its 512GB I am looking for an SSD that will provide more space and if possible better in terms of performance

None? As far as I know they are proprietary. Other world computing sells compatible models for those that are old enough to not be soldered to the mainboard.

Is it sata, or is it NVME? I forget when they stopped making the hard drive bearing macbooks. If it is sata it's anything that fits and it won't really matter what because they are all about the same speed of slow... about 500MB/s

Is it sata, or is it NVME? I forget when they stopped making the hard drive bearing macbooks. If it is sata it's anything that fits and it won't really matter what because they are all about the same speed of slow... about 500MB/s

SATA

You need an adapter. They are cheap on Amazon, around $10 iirc. It allows you to connect a nvme ssd to the 2015 MacBook. I have one in mine. It extends the length slightly and fits apple’s proprietary sizing.

If its SATA you can get any decent SSD, a Samsung 860 EVO would be fine and not too expensive.

I was under the impression that the Macbook pro's of that era used AHCI m.2 SSD's, which is a rara avis these days. Are you replacing the existing SSD? is it m.2 or 2.5" form factor? If m.2, what keying?

If you're replacing the original stock SSD and it's an m.2, I would be very very surprised to find out that it's actually SATA.

Last edited:
Something to think about, the ultra high performance SSD’s off the shelf usually have the highest power draw as well. Meaning less battery and more heat. The Samsung’s that came from the factory on Apples has a really good balance. I put an Intel in my MacBook Air after specifically looking for drives with lowest power usage (but decent performance). The little adapter works fine if your 2015 has the proprietary connector like my Air did (2017).

I felt that I didn’t need 2-3000MB/s performance on a laptop. 1000MB/s “low performance” drives seemed fine. The CPU can’t encode at that speed. Not a second hard drive to transfer from at those speeds. No external port with that kind of bandwidth. So just seemed unneeded, compared to long battery life and low heat.

Back