Which RX480 8Gb brand would you get and do i let the Nvidia 1070 distract me ?

imre

Limp Gawd
1)
I want to get the PowerColor RX480 i just hope it is good quality build and has good potential at overclocking?
Does anybody know?
I have the next cheapest card option which is the Radeon Nitro editions oc and non-oc... surely i can just edit the bios if it were the non-oc variant?

http://www.wootware.co.za/sapphire-...5-256bit-pci-e-3-0-desktop-graphics-card.html
http://www.wootware.co.za/sapphire-...5-256bit-pci-e-3-0-desktop-graphics-card.html
http://www.wootware.co.za/powercolo...-card-includes-civilization-vi-game-code.html

Which could you recommend? or perhaps you spot another card there not exceeding the price of 4500 please.. appreciate it, thanks.
I would imagine the 4GB would be fine then if we considered other brand.
If i were to resell the 8GB it would be more valuable later i guess?

2)
I was listening to some Nvidia guys and they tuned me to rather get a single GTX 1070 which would kill the RX480 even if i buy 2 RX470's , is this the right path for mining coins....
Even it not just Primary reason mining coins, it can be the secondary which is Encoding movies , and "some little" gaming...

Last edited:
My advice is to get the cheapest RX 470 or 480 that you can find, and flash a vBIOS that underclocks the core, overclocks the memory, and tightens timings.

1070 isn't a good investment for mining. I fire up my 1070 and mine on it occasionally, but that's because I've already purchased one with the sole intent of gaming. My 470's and 480's are the real value when it comes to mining.

My advice is to get the cheapest RX 470 or 480 that you can find, and flash a vBIOS that underclocks the core, overclocks the memory, and tightens timings.
1070 isn't a good investment for mining. I fire up my 1070 and mine on it occasionally, but that's because I've already purchased one with the sole intent of gaming. My 470's and 480's are the real value when it comes to mining.

Awesome , i will have to see if i get what you mean, usually i only hear about overclocking all the 3 items.
Ill be brand new to that , but i have been wanting to practice the concept by flashing my old 9800GT or 9600GT but i think until i get the RX470 / R480 I wanted to flash my GTX650 or GTS450 also ....or mining even if they are so behind the RX470.
I have the nvflash utility for dos and windows , i just need to see if i have the correct version for the GTS450 card. I have the kepler bios tweaker utility also, the KGB unlocker tool does not work for my card sadly, but it clams that it was for the GTX 600 series, bizzare.
In kepler bios tweaker i do not fully understand what to change - i prefer to do it this way rather than download an already edited bios....the brand card i have is a funny one it is called Ninja...at least that what it says on the box....BUT i can not find that on the techpowerup site.

overclocking and flashing are hardly ever worth the hassle even if it unlockes extra cu's. i would undervolt them for efficiancy and temp then adjust the core a small amount and play with the mem (either high or low their is no method to the madness) a large overclock will barily hash more then a small one.

Cool, but to undervolt i need edit the bios right? so i guess i need to get an AMD or ATI flash utility and then just drop the volts to .0something? im guessing...

you should be able to do it in afterburner. i can with all my 290's

Does it matter if the card has 8pin or 6pin , i was told get 8pin ....
I am going to change my source of where i buy my card from , i might be able to get it from London on Amazon.co.uk as i have a work colleague who is going there .
I will not pay shipping which is what i aim for.

Are there any RX470's or RX480s that i should stay away from....

I see this one ASUS DUAL-RX480-O4G
Im still keen on the power color.... but hey, I have access to amazon.co.uk so maybe you could suggest one?
And we are not going to bother with 8Gb right ?
My aim is for anything less than 185 pounds. Anything higher is just silly and i may as well the card here where i stay.

I have 3 reference, 2 asus OC, 2 power colors rx480 4gbs. I just leave them all stock settings they typically run 80C pretty quietly two per case. Some of mine are 8 pin some are 6 pin. the 8 pin is ideal for gaming / overclocking -- the 6 pin is ideal for mining i think. Easier PSU requirements -- and core clock speed doesnt help mining, memory speed / timings does which doesnt really require much power difference

edit: the 8gb models do have faster memory speeds then the 4gb but the price difference is too much for me to justify an 8gb card. I suppose resale value wise the 8gb might be better long term if you can get it for a fair price.

I have 3 reference, 2 asus OC, 2 power colors rx480 4gbs. I just leave them all stock settings they typically run 80C pretty quietly two per case. Some of mine are 8 pin some are 6 pin. the 8 pin is ideal for gaming / overclocking -- the 6 pin is ideal for mining i think. Easier PSU requirements -- and core clock speed doesnt help mining, memory speed / timings does which doesnt really require much power difference
edit: the 8gb models do have faster memory speeds then the 4gb but the price difference is too much for me to justify an 8gb card. I suppose resale value wise the 8gb might be better long term if you can get it for a fair price.

But basically its ideal to not change settings then right?
I dont know for sure about the 6 and 8 pin theory ..
Ijust want to try and so soemthing and stop talking about it.
I have decided PowerCOlor to Asus Strix to Gigabyte To XFX to Saphire...
Something tells me the Saphire Nitro is a good deal and the Asus Strix.... i just dont knwow about the 6pin story on the Asus...
I originally wanted Powercolor best value for money here in my Country and it is also pretty affordable in England on amazon which is where i want to get mine from. I will actually save a fraction i cant really say my currency it wont make sense to people anyways.
So right now its only this 6pin and 8pin myth im not sure about.
Im justy scared i buy ASUS and it is rubbish.... i have issue with an ADSL Modem and also a very very very old Athlon motherboard....
Then again technology changes and so do companies so i am willing to ASUS a chance again

My last addition to my choice of cards is the Gigabyte, it has 2 cooling fans....so yah
for me its

Saphire Nitro+ =- cant find a cheap rx470 (unsure what pin 6/8)
PowerColor RX470 =- cant find a cheap or close-price rx480 (8 pin)
Gigabyte RX480 - saw a well priced RX480 (8 pin)
ASUS Strix - RX470 (6 pin)

XFX - cant find a decent price for any
HIS - im scared to get because all google searches point to me to Russian type links so i am afraid for future updates or information -they do say this brand does have a top performing RX range

Back