Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

It is only for Seasonic (unless there are PSU that use the same exact pin-out). It uses 2x8. The CableMod is 3x8 or 4x8.
Can you provide me with a link to the 4x8 cable mod? I have the PC power and cooling 1050 I wonder if there is an adapter that will connect to it? Would you know of any?

Can you provide me with a link to the 4x8 cable mod? I have the PC power and cooling 1050 I wonder if there is an adapter that will connect to it? Would you know of any?
Sure! These are the links as provided to me by Seasonic support.

Seasonic specific
All power supply vendors

As for adapters, that I do not know.

Went to order one of the cablemod cables for my evga T2 and it says they're not shipping until next month 😕

Hope my adapter doesn't melt until then

Went to order one of the cablemod cables for my evga T2 and it says they're not shipping until next month 😕

Hope my adapter doesn't melt until then
Initially mine had some weeks out, but it shipped out maybe 5 days later. Hope your experiance will be similar.

Ohh but I opted for cheap shipping and that took forever.

After giving up on the 4090 FE but also reading about the VRM design of the various 4090 variants out there, I realized that the MSI Suprim X Liquid is a hell of a well designed board when it comes to component selection, and unlike the other third party boards it earns its premium with a well designed AIO water cooler. Purchased, installed and I LOVE it. Crazy fast, runs cool.

Really struggling to get an FE from BestBuy. Are we still facing shortages?
It seems to be the case that, if you want a 4090 of some variety, you can now get one with just a little bit of leg work, there will probably always be shortages of the 4090, at least until a 5000 series exists.

The Founder's Edition really only exists for the purpose of making the claim that a $1600 4090 exists. Most of the cards that exist are likely to be the board partner models. Might as well just pick one of those and go for it, IMHO. If you can afford $1600, you can probably afford $1700 for the Gigabyte one.

After giving up on the 4090 FE but also reading about the VRM design of the various 4090 variants out there, I realized that the MSI Suprim X Liquid is a hell of a well designed board when it comes to component selection, and unlike the other third party boards it earns its premium with a well designed AIO water cooler. Purchased, installed and I LOVE it. Crazy fast, runs cool.
Would a 240mm AIO handles gaming in 4k? Are you undervolting?

Thanks

Would a 240mm AIO handles gaming in 4k? Are you undervolting?

Thanks
It's a 240 AIO plus a single decent looking fan on the board itself, so I would expect the overall thermal capacity to be on par with or better than the largest 3-fan air cooled 3rd party boards.

I'm still in the early stages of getting to know this hardware and have not yet tried undervolting. I've only tried various mild OCs and games and nothing I've tried thus far has stressed the card. Cyberpunk with every last setting maxed and the board at a +210 core and +1500 memory has temps in the low 60s and near as I can tell power draw is well under 400W, yet the game with DLSS Quality hovers right around a solid 60 fps at 4K with RT maxed.

Amazing hardware.

Really struggling to get an FE from BestBuy. Are we still facing shortages?
I was able to order an FE from BB on December 20th. More showed up in stock on 12-21, looks like it was the last time the FE's were stocked at BB...

But, this means it is highly likely the stock will refill very soon. This week, maybe next would be my guess from previous BB stock watch experience. When they do show up they will likely sell out again within 30 minutes.

I started reading posts on NowInStock about Best Buy, and it sounded like FE's were a lost cause. That's what I wanted, but I can cope.

Join the Falcodrin discord and set up your alerts and notifications. Link to join it should be on his twitch page.

It's a 240 AIO plus a single decent looking fan on the board itself, so I would expect the overall thermal capacity to be on par with or better than the largest 3-fan air cooled 3rd party boards.

I'm still in the early stages of getting to know this hardware and have not yet tried undervolting. I've only tried various mild OCs and games and nothing I've tried thus far has stressed the card. Cyberpunk with every last setting maxed and the board at a +210 core and +1500 memory has temps in the low 60s and near as I can tell power draw is well under 400W, yet the game with DLSS Quality hovers right around a solid 60 fps at 4K with RT maxed.

Amazing hardware.
Do you mind letting me know what's the CPU you're using to push this monster?

Thx

I was able to order an FE from BB on December 20th. More showed up in stock on 12-21, looks like it was the last time the FE's were stocked at BB...

But, this means it is highly likely the stock will refill very soon. This week, maybe next would be my guess from previous BB stock watch experience. When they do show up they will likely sell out again within 30 minutes.
The issue with bestbuy is that their drops are totally regional I could never see any in stock. Congrats to you.

Do you mind letting me know what's the CPU you're using to push this monster?

Thx
A TR3 3960x - the CPU may be limiting me here. There's a paucity of reviews of RTX 4xxx GPUs on Threadripper platforms, sadly :( We have a 13900k system in another room and once I stabilize the Suprim X Liquid to the point I am comfortable with it, I might do a comparison on the difference between a modern late 2022/early 2023 high end consumer platform versus possibly the last HEDT platform.

A TR3 3960x - the CPU may be limiting me here. There's a paucity of reviews of RTX 4xxx GPUs on Threadripper platforms, sadly :( We have a 13900k system in another room and once I stabilize the Suprim X Liquid to the point I am comfortable with it, I might do a comparison on the difference between a modern late 2022/early 2023 high end consumer platform versus possibly the last HEDT platform.
"May be limiting" is quite the understatement here as that CPU will be a laughable bottleneck for a 4090 depending on the game and resolution you're playing at of course.

Thanks for sharing. I'm running a 5900x. I might migrate to a 12900kf in order to push this at 1440p. 4K I think I should be fine.

Thanks for sharing. I'm running a 5900x. I might migrate to a 12900kf in order to push this at 1440p. 4K I think I should be fine.
LOL you say that as if a 12900k is going to get the most out of a 4090 at 1440p. You really need to go look at reviews as that resolution just basically has a 4090 not doing shit in several games and in fact can actually give little to no performance over a 3090 TI in some games. I don't care if you do have a high refresh rate monitor there is no CPU out there that is going to let you push a 4090 fully at that resolution and that at least partially comes down to nvidia's hardware scheduler. I mean go look on techspot and they will show that even a low end AMD card will surpass the 4090 if run at a low resolution and or slow CPU. BTW I have a 13700k and even running just a 4080 at 1440p had that card just twiddling its thumbs with low GPU usage in many games so imagine a 4090.

Reactions: noko
like this
LOL you say that as if a 12900k is going to get the most out of a 4090 at 1440p. You really need to go look at reviews as that resolution just basically has a 4090 not doing shit in several games and in fact can actually give little to no performance over a 3090 TI in some games. I don't care if you do have a high refresh rate monitor there is no CPU out there that is going to let you push a 4090 fully at that resolution in every game and that mostly comes down to nvidia's poor hardware scheduler. I have a 13700k and even running a 4080 at 1440p had that card just twiddling its damn thumbs with low GPU usage in most games so imagine a 4090.
It will still be better than my current generation and I'm getting this as a gift from my brother. Most of the time I'm playing in the oled tv at 4k anyways.

Thanks

"May be limiting" is quite the understatement here as that CPU will be a laughable bottleneck for a 4090 depending on the game and resolution you're playing at of course.
Possibly. All of my games are 4K max or near-max settings so I'm betting that TR3 will be far from a "laughable bottleneck" as you claim, but as I said there is a lack of actual data on this point so I can't say with anywhere near the level of certainty that you have. Since you appear to have direct experience with a 4090 on a TR3 would you mind posting your own benchmark results? I'm quite interested to see where you landed since you are the first person I've seen to have first hand knowledge of the magnitude of the bottleneck.

A 3960x is largely at parity with the 13900 and 7950x in the non-gaming workloads I care about (despite being 2+ years old!) so I'm not feeling hugely motivated to swap platforms for something with fewer-but-faster cores that ends up being a bit faster in games and roughly equal in about everything else. But as I said I have a 13900k so at some point I was planning to do the A-B comparison for myself. (Though it would save me some time if you could share your own data.)

Possibly. All of my games are 4K max or near-max settings so I'm betting that TR3 will be far from a "laughable bottleneck" as you claim, but as I said there is a lack of actual data on this point so I can't say with anywhere near the level of certainty that you have. Since you appear to have direct experience with a 4090 on a TR3 would you mind posting your own benchmark results? I'm quite interested to see where you landed since you are the first person I've seen to have first hand knowledge of the magnitude of the bottleneck.

A 3960x is largely at parity with the 13900 and 7950x in the non-gaming workloads I care about (despite being 2+ years old!) so I'm not feeling hugely motivated to swap platforms for something with fewer-but-faster cores that ends up being a bit faster in games and roughly equal in about everything else. But as I said I have a 13900k so at some point I was planning to do the A-B comparison for myself. (Though it would save me some time if you could share your own data.)
You will be limiting that 4090. 3960x here as well, it limited my 3090 with abysmal lows at 4k, 36fps drops in Farcry 6, with 5800X3D, nothing goes below 60 FPS. 2020 Flight Simulator, in San Francisco, below 40 FPS at 4K, with 5800X3D, over 60 FPS.

The averages may not be as significant since the lows can only make up 1 to 5 percent of the average.. But you will notice that frame drop from Smooth sailing to momentary lagy jittery moments.

RT, makes it worst due to having to have less culling, more world data and shaders, textures loaded for calculating pixel color. Meaning more draw calls from the CPU. With RT, you then use the lower DLSS resolutions right where the 4090 is starving to be feed from rhe CPU.

As mentioned before, Nvidia scheduler rely more than amd on the CPU, the 4090 is such a beast, it is basically hard to keep fully active.

I suspect the 4090 will come even further on its own with the Zen 4 Vcache versions.

You will be limiting that 4090. 3960x here as well, it limited my 3090 with abysmal lows at 4k, 36fps drops in Farcry 6, with 5800X3D, nothing goes below 60 FPS. 2020 Flight Simulator, in San Francisco, below 40 FPS at 4K, with 5800X3D, over 60 FPS.

The averages may not be as significant since the lows can only make up 1 to 5 percent of the average.. But you will notice that frame drop from Smooth sailing to momentary lagy jittery moments.

RT, makes it worst due to having to have less culling, more world data and shaders, textures loaded for calculating pixel color. Meaning more draw calls from the CPU. With RT, you then use the lower DLSS resolutions right where the 4090 is starving to be feed from rhe CPU.

As mentioned before, Nvidia scheduler rely more than amd on the CPU, the 4090 is such a beast, it is basically hard to keep fully active.

I suspect the 4090 will come even further on its own with the Zen 4 Vcache versions.
This is good info. I've generally not paid too much attention to lows since occasional jitter does not bother me so much, particularly since VRR emerged and smoothed out at least some of the edge cases, but it's a fair point. I've certainly thought about the fact that a 7950x/13900k will largely match 3960x on productivity tasks and probably at a significant power savings as well but as a general rule I'm not one to upgrade CPU+motherboard+RAM until there's a significant uplift in performance and I suspect the magnitude of uplift I would want to see is 12 to 18 months away. So, perhaps I have to live with good highs and averages, and not-so-good lows, for a year and change. I can do that, although I too will keep my eye on the new AMD CPUs due shortly.

This is good info. I've generally not paid too much attention to lows since occasional jitter does not bother me so much, particularly since VRR emerged and smoothed out at least some of the edge cases, but it's a fair point. I've certainly thought about the fact that a 7950x/13900k will largely match 3960x on productivity tasks and probably at a significant power savings as well but as a general rule I'm not one to upgrade CPU+motherboard+RAM until there's a significant uplift in performance and I suspect the magnitude of uplift I would want to see is 12 to 18 months away. So, perhaps I have to live with good highs and averages, and not-so-good lows, for a year and change. I can do that, although I too will keep my eye on the new AMD CPUs due shortly.
Ditto this. I’ve also got a 3960, but I’m running a 6800XT because I’m at 1440P and it doesn’t matter at that res. It’s also not my main gaming box.

Ditto this. I’ve also got a 3960, but I’m running a 6800XT because I’m at 1440P and it doesn’t matter at that res. It’s also not my main gaming box.
I've found it is really game dependent as well, some games just run well less affected by the CPU given to it. Have a 6900 XT in the 3960 rig which actually does better than the 3090 due to this.

My 7900 XTX should arrive tomorrow so the 3090 will go into the 5800x rig with a Sony TV and not the 3960 setup. Besides the 3090 can actually do VRR on the Sony TV while AMD I have not been able to do that.

I've found it is really game dependent as well, some games just run well less affected by the CPU given to it. Have a 6900 XT in the 3960 rig which actually does better than the 3090 due to this.

My 7900 XTX should arrive tomorrow so the 3090 will go into the 5800x rig with a Sony TV and not the 3960 setup. Besides the 3090 can actually do VRR on the Sony TV while AMD I have not been able to do that.

I'm strongly considering picking up a 7900XTX to replace my 3080 in my summer/linux box, which is a Neo G9. So far I haven't hit any limits on that, but I don't tend to play AAA games on it much (ultra widescreens aren't really the best for gaming), so I haven't ~yet~ - but I'd prefer AMD in a primarily-linux machine.

I'm strongly considering picking up a 7900XTX to replace my 3080 in my summer/linux box, which is a Neo G9. So far I haven't hit any limits on that, but I don't tend to play AAA games on it much (ultra widescreens aren't really the best for gaming), so I haven't ~yet~ - but I'd prefer AMD in a primarily-linux machine.
7900XTX seems a really good deal. I've seen some popping at my Local Microcenter. My main concern is the driver limitations. I've heard somewhere that AMD removed the possibility to use third party tools like morepower and overclocking stuff.

7900XTX seems a really good deal. I've seen some popping at my Local Microcenter. My main concern is the driver limitations. I've heard somewhere that AMD removed the possibility to use third party tools like morepower and overclocking stuff.
I tend to not bother on the GPUs - by the time I get anything noticable out of it these days, it's time to upgrade anyway :p I just do a lot of water cooling or high air-flow and let them boost as much as the temps will allow. Just hasn't been worth it as much recently, especially since I tend to run things for a very long time.

If you email Seasonic support they will tell you to buy from BTOS as your first option, CableMod being their second recommendation. BTOS makes the cable you see on the Seasonic site.

I'm very happy with my BTOS cable and prefer it over the 4-1 CableMod I was using before.
The cable came today. What's weird is on the Seasonic site it shows a box that it comes in. And I had also looked at a YouTube video of a guy taking it out of the box. Of course when I order something it always ends up coming in a damn bag with no real protection. Do these companies that send out products not understand that when they send out something in a bag that there are heavy boxes that can be stacked on top of it? Just makes me so mad how companies try to save a damn dime. Hell I had to send back an SSD to Newegg because it had been crushed by the time it got to my house since it was only in a flimsy retail blister pack inside of a bag.

Would a Corsair RM750X be enough for a 4090? Also does anyone has the corsair 600w adapter?

Thanks
You know there's more than a video card you need to worry about when picking a power supply. That said even with a fairly efficient CPU there's no way I would put it with a 750 watt power supply. I mean if you can afford a $1,600 video card then buy proper power supply.

You know there's more than a video card you need to worry about when picking a power supply. That said even with a fairly efficient CPU there's no way I would put it with a 750 watt power supply. I mean if you can afford a $1,600 video card then buy proper power supply.
I was planning to run a 12900kf or 13700k. Total power should be what? Like 630ish watts?

My thoughts exactly. How much more would a good 1000w or 1200w PSU be compared to the total cost of an ultra high end system.

I had an EVGA 1200w P2 for 8 years before replacing it with an EVGA 1600w T2 last year. Never have to worry about power limit or quality.

Spend the extra now and be set for well into the future.

The neat thing about PSU's is that good ones can last for the better part of a decade. You can't truly "future proof" many things in your system, but the PSU is an area where you kinda can. Even when new connectors come out, you can usually get adapters for the nicer models.

My thoughts exactly. How much more would a good 1000w or 1200w PSU be compared to the total cost of an ultra high end system.

I had an EVGA 1200w P2 for 8 years before replacing it with an EVGA 1600w T2 last year. Never have to worry about power limit or quality.

Spend the extra now and be set for well into the future.
Buy once, cry once.

The neat thing about PSU's is that good ones can last for the better part of a decade. You can't truly "future proof" many things in your system, but the PSU is an area where you kinda can. Even when new connectors come out, you can usually get adapters for the nicer models.
100%. Just retired an 850W that was 11 years old. Not so much because it broke or anything, was still working, but at that age I figure why gamble, I got my money out of it.

Back