Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

I highly recommend anyone with a Seasonic P/S get one of their cables. They just got them in Thursday

BTOS will have them early January, and I was able to pay for one through customer support. Really nice individual cable. Audible click for the 12VHPWR cable and no worrisome bends at all.

4090 is really crazy fast and completely silent. I got the Gigabyte Windforce. Pretty happy. My 5600x drives it fine.

https://www.btosinte.com/Seasonic-12VHPWR-Modular-Cable-SS-12VHPWR.htm.

I highly recommend anyone with a Seasonic P/S get one of their cables. They just got them in Thursday

BTOS will have them early January, and I was able to pay for one through customer support. Really nice individual cable. Audible click for the 12VHPWR cable and no worrisome bends at all.

4090 is really crazy fast and completely silent. I got the Gigabyte Windforce. Pretty happy. My 5600x drives it fine.

https://www.btosinte.com/Seasonic-12VHPWR-Modular-Cable-SS-12VHPWR.htm.
What did you say to support to get the opp to buy one? I just got an auto-response that told me to watch that site...and I have been!

What did you say to support to get the opp to buy one? I just got an auto-response that told me to watch that site...and I have been!
Maybe I just had good timing but sent a query though the support page on Seasonic. I think that they really wanted me to buy it from BTOS but offered to ship me one since they were getting them in the next day and could probably snag one before sending on. It is a great cable.

Yeah. No Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac, or anyone other than NVIDIA and ASUS this gen for me. RIP EVGA.

NKD - congrats! I started getting stock alerts for BB in the last few days but never in my area (Idaho). I keep checking just in case, but my bundle from MSI will arrrive on Tuesday so that works for me!

NKD - congrats! I started getting stock alerts for BB in the last few days but never in my area (Idaho). I keep checking just in case, but my bundle from MSI will arrrive on Tuesday so that works for me!
Really? Oh man that sucks - I got mine here in Idaho, picked it up today in Boise. Those 4090 FEs were dropping like mad since around Tuesday. I used this tracker with the window in the forefront so the text would be all caught up -

Well I finally got one. There’s a few more at Cambridge micro center, there was a line when they opened but they had more in the back after they sold the ones on the shelf.

DE831BD6-FF5E-406A-ABF0-543F305B72E2.jpeg

Well I finally got one. There’s a few more at Cambridge micro center, there was a line when they opened but they had more in the back after they sold the ones on the shelf.

View attachment 537951
Yeah, the Cbus MC had a bunch yesterday too... I thought about going, but I really want the Suprim X model of the 4090. I waited this long, so I figured, might as well keep waiting for exactly what I want... lol. I was surprised to see they lasted till about 2pm.

Yeah, the Cbus MC had a bunch yesterday too... I thought about going, but I really want the Suprim X model of the 4090. I waited this long, so I figured, might as well keep waiting for exactly what I want... lol. I was surprised to see they lasted till about 2pm.

I don't care which model I get tbh, I was really bummed because I drove a long way to get there and they had 5 on the shelf, well I was #6 in line at the door. I ended up browsing around looking at other stuff and one of the guys ran over and told me they had a bunch more that just got there so I managed to snag one. Pretty happy, this MSI looks like a good card.

Canceled my Gigabyte OC order, MSRP PNY incoming tomorrow in case any wants dibs (cost+ship), else back it goes. Looks like the stock situation is easing up quite a bit.

Last edited:
amazon scalping hard. This is open box amazon warehouse deal lmao sold my amazon. Unreal!!! Lets sell the open box 400 over msrp.

1672692605328.png

It was, SUPRIM X 24G RTX 4090, MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI+ $479.99, MEG CORELIQUID S360+ $279.99, FREE MSI Lucky Dragon Keychain $0.00

It was, SUPRIM X 24G RTX 4090, MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI+ $479.99, MEG CORELIQUID S360+ $279.99, FREE MSI Lucky Dragon Keychain $0.00
AMD just announced 7950X3D….wonder if it should get that or just get this bundle with 13900K.

Finally built my system with the Zotac 4090 Amp Extreme Airo. My first time going with Zotac (wanted FE but lucked out with stock at Microcenter) and pleased so far. No coil whine (using an ATX 3.0 PSU, not sure if that helps) and overall fairly quiet. Bios fan control has a quiet mode that I haven't tried yet

4090 back on potential buys but only the ASUS models. TUFF mostly.

Reason being they have two HDMI 2.1a ports. In my case I look for 3-5 years of use. Normally use two monitors combine tbat with next generation of VR, those higher speed video output ports are absolutely needed.

Also I am seeing its performance in general will also improve with faster future CPUs. Lovelace is not as efficient with the CPU compared to AMD GPUs but faster CPUs will wake this GPU even more when avaliable.

The huge size sucks, power adaptor sucks (Corsair 1000w PS so have a solution there).

Last edited:
How can that even be a question...have you seen what the 5800X3D brought to the market? Nevermind that AM5 is a platform that can handle multiple generations of CPUs - whereas Z790 is lucky to get one more refresh.
intel current socket is arleady rumored to be done. Its been 2 years and rumors are next chip is going to be new socket so you are stuck with what you got now going intel. Not that its goona be bad anytime soon but everytime I buid I tend to go with where I can upgrade few gens of CPU. Can go back and forth with intel at times.

intel current socket is arleady rumored to be done. Its been 2 years and rumors are next chip is going to be new socket so you are stuck with what you got now going intel. Not that its goona be bad anytime soon but everytime I buid I tend to go with where I can upgrade few gens of CPU. Can go back and forth with intel at times.
I just got the MSI Z790 bundle. Hopefully the 13900KS comes in the next month.

Even with AMD, the next chip will likely have an updated chipset to go with it too though. Even though you can drop in newer CPUs with AMD, if you want the newer features and faster chipset speeds, you generally have to upgrade the motherboard too.

Even with AMD, the next chip will likely have an updated chipset to go with it too though. Even though you can drop in newer CPUs with AMD, if you want the newer features and faster chipset speeds, you generally have to upgrade the motherboard too.
what do you mean? its just dropped 6 months ago. They can't possibly be worse than intel allowing only one chip. I don't see x670e replaced until after zen 5 is out. This was their first major socket change after am4. I am actually willing to bet a 100 it will get zen 5 minimum. AMD has no reason to replace with more expensive boards with zen 5 holding back sales. That is the real kicker they you sell a bunch of chips being just drop in atleast few more gens.

what do you mean? its just dropped 6 months ago. They can't possibly be worse than intel allowing only one chip. I don't see x670e replaced until after zen 5 is out. This was their first major socket change after am4. I am actually willing to bet a 100 it will get zen 5 minimum. AMD has no reason to replace with more expensive boards with zen 5 holding back sales. That is the real kicker they you sell a bunch of chips being just drop in atleast few more gens.
I don't mean the current gen, but to not except a chipset change would be a bad assumption too. You can drop the 5xxx series chips in X/B 5 series boards, 4 series boards and 3 series boards. However, to take advantage of the PCIe 4.0 chipset lanes, you required an X570 board, the older boards will work just fine, but don't except PCIe 4.0.

The situation may or may not be different for the current socket down the road as features are added.

I don't mean the current gen, but to not except a chipset change would be a bad assumption too. You can drop the 5xxx series chips in X/B 5 series boards, 4 series boards and 3 series boards. However, to take advantage of the PCIe 4.0 chipset lanes, you required an X570 board, the older boards will work just fine, but don't except PCIe 4.0.

The situation may or may not be different for the current socket down the road as features are added.
I am specifially talking building now with zen 4 and building now with z790 which is just a refresh not required.

A bit annoyed at how long it took to kill all the RGB:
_nc_ohc=6pF37nRJDTQAX9BIj6p&_nc_ht=scontent-cph2-1.jpg

Gotta get some OC done, but that will have to wait ~1 month as the wife and I are going to Vietnam for vacation.
Quick dabble with CyberPunk 2077 shows I have for more performance tempwise:
GjIwQAX8V0RJy&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.png

I9 13900 KF
Asus Prime Z790-P (due to no WiFi)
Asus TUF 4090 OC

This question made me chuckle.

You get what you can find in stock at as close to its MSRP as possible, to not feed the scalpers.

Unless you are incredibly lucky, you don't get a choice. You have to buy whatever there is.

Not buying is a choice, if what you want is not available.
Yup. If I can't get the EXACT brand/model I want, not getting my money. This is a hobby, not a life requirement. Not hurting without it and I see 0 reason to settle for anything less than exactly what I want.

Yup. If I can't get the EXACT brand/model I want, not getting my money. This is a hobby, not a life requirement. Not hurting without it and I see 0 reason to settle for anything less than exactly what I want.
Pretty much see it that way as well. Not even sure my gaming experience would be noticeably improved to extent that I would be glad of the purchase.

Prices may also drop like a rock as time goes on making waiting or more exactly not bothering until something interesting comes up more prudent.

Well, that's your choice, but being inflexible like that is a recipe for missing out on the latest gen halo card performance, or significantly overpaying for a card.

I got ab MSI Gaming X Trio 24G. It wasn't my favorite. It wasn't even near the top, due to its fewer VRM's and maxing out at "only" 450w, but I am pretty happy I was able to get a 4090 and matching water block for only very slight above MSRP.

It was either that, or continue living with unacceptable performance at 4k ultra in latest gen titles.

I think that was a reasonable tradeoff.

Well, that's your choice, but being inflexible like that is a recipe for missing out on the latest gen halo card performance, or significantly overpaying for a card.

I got ab MSI Gaming X Trio 24G. It wasn't my favorite. It wasn't even near the top, due to its fewer VRM's and maxing out at "only" 450w, but I am pretty happy I was able to get a 4090 and matching water block for only very slight above MSRP.

It was either that, or continue living with unacceptable performance at 4k ultra in latest gen titles.

I think that was a reasonable tradeoff.
One might say you're being inflexible by being unwilling to lower a few graphics settings.

One might say you're being inflexible by being unwilling to lower a few graphics settings.

Fair, but the purpose of a GPU is to provide rendering performance. Any 4090 is going to be superior to anything not 4090 right now.

The actual version of 4090 seems like a footnote at best, when regardless of which one you get it is going to perform so much better than anything not a 4090.

Last edited:
Fair, but the purpose of a GPU is to provide rendering performance. Any 4090 is going to be superior to anything not 4090 right now.

The actual version of 4090 seems like a footnote at best, when regardless of which one you get it is going to perform so much better than anything not a 4090.
As long as my footnote doesn't say Zotac - I'm good!

Back