Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

My local Micro Center has had 4080's since release with 20+ in stock. I haven't seen a single 4090 since release... lol. Good thing I'm not in a rush, if I even need one at all at this point.
Yea I'm wondering where all the restocks have been. I would probably purchase a 4090 over a 7900 xtx if I could actually get one. But for now I'll just wait to see how well RDNA3 performs.

Yea I'm wondering where all the restocks have been. I would probably purchase a 4090 over a 7900 xtx if I could actually get one. But for now I'll just wait to see how well RDNA3 performs.
4090 AIB allocation has slowed to a trickle. I am not aware of this changing any time soon.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Yeah, I mean, if Micro Center had 4090's sitting on the shelf, I'd buy one. But considering I am getting great performance now; I'm not going to waste time looking for one. If it's not on the shelf, then I'm not getting it nor am I going to waste time trying to snipe one. When I had my 2080Ti, I felt I needed a 3090 for 4K gaming. But with my 3090, games feel great to me maxed out, and I use DLSS Quality when required to reach those frames.

Yeah, I mean, if Micro Center had 4090's sitting on the shelf, I'd buy one. But considering I am getting great performance now; I'm not going to waste time looking for one. If it's not on the shelf, then I'm not getting it nor am I going to waste time trying to snipe one. When I had my 2080Ti, I felt I needed a 3090 for 4K gaming. But with my 3090, games feel great to me maxed out, and I use DLSS Quality when required to reach those frames.
This is where I am. I’m at 1440P while I wait for a good 4K monitor with my feature desires to hit a sane price point. So my 3090 does everything just fine maxed out. When I find a 4K monitor after CES I’ll reevaluate- or wait more if nothing changes.

I would imagine 4090 AIB allocation will start opening up early next year following the Xmas rush, once back inventory of 3000 series cards has had a chance to further deplete. I can't imagine they'd want to loose sales to AMD's RX 7000 series cards once they start becoming available... Who knows, Nvidia may even decide to lower their 4080 entry price at that point given how slow they are moving since it's been pretty much universally recognized they are a bad value and overpriced.

Last call on the 1799+tax tuf oc I've pending at BB, gonna cancel unless claimed here by tomorrow. Not saying it's a good deal or anything just that it's available if a member with good heat wants it.

Does anyone have the PNY version of the 4090? I am curious as to how those have been doing. I used PNY back in the day when I lived in NYC and used to get my Nvidia/PNY cards from JR Music world since PNY was based out of New Jersey.

I'm still stuck trying to figure which model has the smallest case footprint.

Case fits an evga 3090 ftw3 np but but this new card might be difficult in my full tower case

Does anyone have the PNY version of the 4090? I am curious as to how those have been doing. I used PNY back in the day when I lived in NYC and used to get my Nvidia/PNY cards from JR Music world since PNY was based out of New Jersey.
I have a PNY 3080ti. They're solid reference cards. Don't expect much more out of them. They have a decent warranty with advanced RMA service in the US, and in my mind have one of the better warranty programs now that EVGA is gone. On the 4080/4090 in particular given how power efficient these cards are, I think the PNY cards are a solid choice. The cooler they are using is the same type of design the base MSI's, etc are using and does a great job. I really don't see the point paying beyond MSRP on this gen given how solid the reference design is now from a thermal/power perspective. It's not like the 3080ti/3090 where the reference design left you stuck from a power limit perspective.

Who knows, Nvidia may even decide to lower their 4080 entry price at that point given how slow they are moving since it's been pretty much universally recognized they are a bad value and overpriced.
They deliberately have $200 extra fat on them like "doesn't matter if they don't immediately sell out because they have no competition except the 30-series we're trying to clear".

Demand dictates price so 4080 drops to $999 when market demand falls enough (perhaps pressure from AMD), or when 4080 Ti takes the $1199 slot and bumps it down.

Last edited:
They deliberately have $200 extra fat on them like "doesn't matter if they don't immediately sell out because they have no competition except the 30-series we're trying to clear".

Demand dictates price so 4080 drops to $999 when market demand falls enough (perhaps pressure from AMD), or when 4080 Ti takes the $1199 slot and bumps it down.
There’s still a $1399 slot. Trust and believe NVIDIA isn’t leaving a dime on the table.

I'm still stuck trying to figure which model has the smallest case footprint.

Case fits an evga 3090 ftw3 np but but this new card might be difficult in my full tower case
Sig is up to date? If so then a 4090 would be a laughable waste on that old Haswell cpu.

Use techpowerup for GPU dimensions: very accurate, the only 'reasonable' one this time around is the FE and the only one guaranteed to fit if you barely fit a 3090 FTW3, the PNY/MSI ones are next but they are already pushing 330 mm in length which many cases can't easily accommodate.

So I brushed up CP2077 after nearly 2 years and ofc cranked it to the max with Psycho everything (My 4090 averaged 90 fps at stock with this on my 34" AW) and while it did look prettier than what I remember on XR382+3080 back then, it wasn't that big of a difference that I'd want to play it all over again fwiw, esp given the limited gaming time I get now. Seeing Crysis 3 Remastered run at a 175 Hz lock is a revelation though, I think Crysis has finally and totally been vanquished. Now back to UC4...

So I brushed up CP2077 after nearly 2 years and ofc cranked it to the max with Psycho everything (My 4090 averaged 90 fps at stock with this on my 34" AW) and while it did look prettier than what I remember on XR382+3080 back then, it wasn't that big of a difference that I'd want to play it all over again fwiw, esp given the limited gaming time I get now. Seeing Crysis 3 Remastered run at a 175 Hz lock is a revelation though, I think Crysis has finally and totally been vanquished. Now back to UC4...
1600$ 4090 only gets 90 fps in CP2077? Thank God I am in no way in hell buying the 4 series gen. What a ripoff. For that amount of moolah I would want 144 fps minimum. I'm keeping my 3080. Will be funny to see what the 5 series brings and for how much.

1600$ 4090 only gets 90 fps in CP2077? Thank God I am in no way in hell buying the 4 series gen. What a ripoff. For that amount of moolah I would want 144 fps minimum. I'm keeping my 3080. Will be funny to see what the 5 series brings and for how much.
Using Pyscho RT, 3080 would be in the low 30s at the same settings fwiw.

Things look shinier? Reflections are uber realistic.
Everything a mirror shinier? Guess I can check this out, didn't think anything was noticeably different other than poorer framrates. Might give that game another try,.

Even though earlier in this post I swore I would not get a card...I broke.

The PNY 4900 is a throwback card for because it reminds me of my old Nvidia/PNY 4800ti, I believe it also uses a similar logo. Anywho...great numbers out of the card game wise. Will do some video editing this weekend to see that performance.

I do worry a tad about my 3970x being a bottleneck though.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

The PNY 4900 is a throwback card for because it reminds me of my old Nvidia/PNY 4800ti, I believe it also uses a similar logo. Anywho...great numbers out of the card game wise. Will do some video editing this weekend to see that performance.

As long as you are enjoying the performance - I wouldn’t worry about bottlenecks. Just know that now is an incredible time to be buying a CPU. Prices are dropping everywhere and you just so happen to have one of the most flexible platforms around in AM4. :)

EDIT: oops didn’t realize that was a TR CPU. Still an issue versus modern CPUs.

Last edited:

I’d be interested to hear how your system benchmarks versus the state of the art CPUs with the 4090. I have a 3960x and whereas I think the 3970x is still a solid mile ahead, for a 3960x TR3 system, the 13900 and 7950 come within spitting distance of my system while offering faster cores, greater efficiency etc. Unfortunately most of the 4090 reviews have not benchmarked TR3 systems.

Considering a new computer upgrade late in the next year, so will have to suffer on my 3090 for now. :(
But figure by the end of next year they'll be either more in stock, a Ti or variant version may be out, or the next gen will be oncoming and i'll see what the wait is for that.
Either way, all of my GPU's from now on will be AIO, since i like them watercooled.

So no one has confirmed for the TUF 4090 OC and unless claimed it will expire tomorrow. Literal last call folks and sorry I can't help it's the OC version that's 1800 plus 10.25% taxifornia surcharge here.

I’d be interested to hear how your system benchmarks versus the state of the art CPUs with the 4090. I have a 3960x and whereas I think the 3970x is still a solid mile ahead, for a 3960x TR3 system, the 13900 and 7950 come within spitting distance of my system while offering faster cores, greater efficiency etc. Unfortunately most of the 4090 reviews have not benchmarked TR3 systems.
I had purchased a 12700k cpu/asus-my/ddr5 system to use for a secondary render system hooked up to my RTX titan but we needed a new VMix System for the school/church I work for and built that system instead. The motherboard that is has can be upgraded to a 13900k with ease. Since I own both system, I can technically trade them. That’s an idea, but I’m also busy as shit over the next month…but the 13900k has been sticking in the back of my mind. The reviews have been really good/

Any word on any fully waterblocked 4080 or 4090 cards yets? Only looking for the full block cards like the seahawk ek-x to be released, not the hybrid.

I had purchased a 12700k cpu/asus-my/ddr5 system to use for a secondary render system hooked up to my RTX titan but we needed a new VMix System for the school/church I work for and built that system instead. The motherboard that is has can be upgraded to a 13900k with ease. Since I own both system, I can technically trade them. That’s an idea, but I’m also busy as shit over the next month…but the 13900k has been sticking in the back of my mind. The reviews have been really good/
The 12 cores plus hyperthreading aren't enough for what you do? or do you just want the luxury of more/faster?

The 12 cores plus hyperthreading aren't enough for what you do? or do you just want the luxury of more/faster?
I use After Effects, Blender and AI Enhance to render videos and editing as a secondary gig job I’ve had for 10 years when they’re scheduled. The AMD platform is also 3 years old and the architecture is 4 years old. I also game. To me having a high baseline is important with a 4K/144hz monitor. I also don’t render all the time as I used to. My next gig won’t happen until March of next year then again in June and October. Fortunately, the “pay“ pays for the computers when the gigs are complete.

Tiger direct of all people have the PNU in stock
https://www.tigerdirect.com/applica...etails.asp?EdpNo=1452748&CatId=11972&csid=_86

Got in for 1, crossing fingers it sends.
That's fake stock, much like when this GPU shows up on Office Depot. Usually means a backorder/request to vendor which prob wont ever arrive, or a shipment is promised by vendor but then doesn't happen. The "45-60 days" is code for "eta unknown".

If they don't charge your CC until shipment I guess nothing to lose - unless you find it sooner elsewhere and forget to cancel backorder. If they already charged CC and that amount will be tied up for potentially months or even indefinitely then maybe reconsider.

Last edited:
BB hasn't dropped 4090 for a bit. Atleast on my end lmao. Also been scarce notifications for 4090s, newegg has a few here and there. Plus newegg and amazon are useless for 4090 purchase. Bots usually grab them. Looks like stock has dried up a bit.

BB usually has been dropping on wednesdays or thursday and this would be like the 4th one almost. 27 days days for me since the last drop or notifications.

has anyone ordered from ShopBLT and actually received the product? I remember ordering a 10980Xe on their site in 2019 and got tired of waiting after 7 months and so I canceled the order.

BB hasn't dropped 4090 for a bit. Atleast on my end lmao. Also been scarce notifications for 4090s, newegg has a few here and there. Plus newegg and amazon are useless for 4090 purchase. Bots usually grab them. Looks like stock has dried up a bit.

BB usually has been dropping on wednesdays or thursday and this would be like the 4th one almost. 27 days days for me since the last drop or notifications.
If you really want a 4090, the best places to cop one is to monitor Gigabyte, Asus and MSI US stores. I have seen regular restocks there that doesn't get gobbled up by bots in an instant.

Back