Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

Scored a 4090 FE at BB just now! Was randomly checking online and it just popped up as available! Now just hoping the order goes through and it isn't canceled. It was charged succesfully - shows up on my bank as pending.

BB.jpg

Glad I held out as I was seriously considering/looking at an eBay scalper for $2199 last night. (I already have a EKWB for the 4090FE in hand - for the past 2 weeks... was getting desperate. These things are like hen's teeth still!)

Was using this link to check: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...and-black/6521430.p?skuId=6521430&addchv=true

Last edited:
Scored a 4090 FE at BB just now! Was randomly checking online and it just popped up as available! Now just hoping the order goes through and it isn't canceled. It was charged succesfully - shows up on my bank as pending.

View attachment 523884

Glad I held out as I was seriously considering/looking at an eBay scalper for $2199 last night. (I already have a EKWB for the 4090FE in hand - for the past 2 weeks... was getting desperate. These things are like hen's teeth still!)

Was using this link to check: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...and-black/6521430.p?skuId=6521430&addchv=true
Yep did this a bit ago. got one for a friend ready for pickup next wednesday. knowing them it will likely be faster. I tried a few times and then it was sitting in my cart lmao so checked out. They did remove the 10% off coupon on it, they don't work anymore. Worked on my last one. Looks like BB caught up to it on the hot item lmao.

I got one all the way to checkout, but the nearest store that allowed pickup was 200 or so miles away. As much as I’d love to drive to Montana with snow in the forecast, I had to pass.

After seeing the $999 pricetag on the 355W TBP 7900XTX, I'll wait for reviews and the possibility that Nvidia will significantly drop the 4090's price. If Nvidia doesn't budge, I'll be going team red for the GPU for the first time since my old ATI 4870X2.

After seeing the $999 pricetag on the 7900XTX, I'll wait for reviews and the possibility that Nvidia will significantly drop the 4090's price. If Nvidia doesn't budge, I'll be going team red for the GPU for the first time since my old ATI 4870X2.
I doubt they will come down more than 100 bucks if that. In ray tracing the 4090 is going to be at least 50% faster. The 4080 certainly will need a price cut though.

I doubt they will come down more than 100 bucks if that. In ray tracing the 4090 is going to be at least 50% faster. The 4080 certainly will need a price cut though.
The two games that I cared about RT for I beat about two years ago or so with my now relegated to my backup PC RTX 3090 (Metro and Cyberpunk). I now almost exclusively play Star Citizen which is raster only for the foreseeable future. Again, reviews may sway me but it's very likely that Nvidia isn't getting my money this time unless they drop their prices a lot.

The two games that I cared about RT for I beat about two years ago or so with my now relegated to my backup PC RTX 3090 (Metro and Cyberpunk). I now almost exclusively play Star Citizen which is raster only for the foreseeable future. Again, reviews may sway me but it's very likely that Nvidia isn't getting my money this time unless they drop their prices a lot.
Don't buy NV. That's how it's supposed to work if they don't have a product that meets your needs/price range.

600 watt bios that works on the MSI Trio. Change file extension to “.rom”.

Clocks are set a bit higher on this one. Stock bios had to go over +200 to get over 3000Mhz this one needs around +120.

Works with the stock 12pin adapter… probably should check your psu wire gauge. I tested it briefly, Will probably leave it somewhere a little over 500 watts.

Attachments

• Suprim600w.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 0
Now that the 7900 release was pretty meh, going to grab a 4090.

Do all the current 4090 cards use the same new 16pin connectors, or do some boards have the older connectors?

Do all the current 4090 cards use the same new 16pin connectors, or do some boards have the older connectors?
AFAIK they all use the new connector.

Reactions: FRZ
like this

That new 7-Series card looks pretty sweet.

Zero comparison to any Nvidia card this time in their marketing slides doesn't instill confidence. All I saw was smokes and mirrors. RT performance must still be bad if 3090/3090ti aren't event mentioned. Only the slow 6900XT was used to measure RT gain lol.
If you really cared about RT you're not buying AMD cards anyhow.

View attachment 523884

I saw that but got stuck on the Best Buy don't navigate from the screen your in line or whatever message for some time. Don't remember seeing that before but of course once it went away it wanted me to log in (thought I already was) and then out of stock. :(

While everyone was queued up for cards, I managed to get a order in for a MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5 PSU. Will be at my local store on Monday for pickup. Shipping wasn't an option.
PSU.JPG

After seeing the $999 pricetag on the 355W TBP 7900XTX, I'll wait for reviews and the possibility that Nvidia will significantly drop the 4090's price. If Nvidia doesn't budge, I'll be going team red for the GPU for the first time since my old ATI 4870X2.

Zero percent chance of this imo. The 4090 is unassailable right now and nvidia will keep it priced as such (imo).

The forthcoming 4080 will be the one to watch to see if nvidia reacts. They *should* because the 7900XTX is going to shit all over it... except in raytracing... for $200 less. I can almost envision them trying to market that away due to their RT superiority, even though it won't be that extreme at the 4080 level. Based on what we currently know, I would never buy a 4080 over a 7900XTX.

Zero percent chance of this imo. The 4090 is unassailable right now and nvidia will keep it priced as such (imo).

The forthcoming 4080 will be the one to watch to see if nvidia reacts. They *should* because the 7900XTX is going to shit all over it... except in raytracing... for $200 less. I can almost envision them trying to market that away due to their RT superiority, even though it won't be that extreme at the 4080 level. Based on what we currently know, I would never buy a 4080 over a 7900XTX.
Precisely why they held back the 4080 12GB.

The 4090 was positioned as a halo card, much like the 3090. The difference here is that Nvidia has a ton of RTX 3000 inventory to sell through, so making the 4080 and below price competitive would be really bad for business; they need to sell through their RTX 3000 cards.

The 4090 is next level, so it does not compete with previous RTX 3000 cards.

While everyone was queued up for cards, I managed to get a order in for a MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5 PSU. Will be at my local store on Monday for pickup. Shipping wasn't an option.
View attachment 524181
Would have tried one of these, but my system would push it to its limit. Ended up getting a FSP 1200W Platinum ATX 3.0 that's on its way.

So now we are getting Reddit posts on native adapters burning out. Even with the new MSI arc 3.0 power supply.

I mean has nothing to do with that though. Its an overall issue, can't just blame it on MSI PSU, that PSU is pretty decent.
If it's all people plugging it in wrong, people with native power supplies can also plug it in wrong. People who are worried and making extra sure they're plugging it in right are the same people that will have bought 3rd party cables by now, which would explain why no 3rd party cables have been reported melted yet.

Every Youtuber/tech site knows that if they can get an adapter to melt it will be a goldmine for them because literally everywhere else will link to it, so you know they're trying hard nonstop. It can't be that common or easy to do.

If it's all people plugging it in wrong, people with native power supplies can also plug it in wrong. People who are worried and making extra sure they're plugging it in right are the same people that will have bought 3rd party cables by now, which would explain why no 3rd party cables have been reported melted yet.
What do you mean by “plugging it in wrong”? If it is possible to plug 450/600W in “wrong” just like that, something is fundamentally messed up.

Having said that, I think the issue is complex since we have yet to hear anything from nVidia / AIB, not even a rumor.

What do you mean by “plugging it in wrong”? If it is possible to plug 450/600W in “wrong” just like that, something is fundamentally messed up.

Having said that, I think the issue is complex since we have yet to hear anything from nVidia / AIB, not even a rumor.
Not fully inserting the connector. It's possible to not fully plug in every connector on a PC, why would this one be different?

Still trying to snag a FE since EVGA is out of the game. Maybe the Asus TUF after New Years if I am still unlucky.

Still trying to snag a FE since EVGA is out of the game. Maybe the Asus TUF after New Years if I am still unlucky.
There are around 20 EVGA ones made, if you ask nicely maybe they will send you one, worked for Steve and Jay.

Something very concern-trollish about the body of comments made by the guy that created the thread. "I have to raise the public awareness", "something must be done about this ordeal" etc.

Maybe it's legit, or maybe he held a lighter to the edge of the connector a few seconds after his cablemod/thirdparty replacement came in anyway, but something seems a little crusade-y.

Mine still looks fine too running the wanky dongle thingy. I might get a 3.0 PSU soon so, I don't want to spend money on a cable.

Reactions: AP2
like this
Back