Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

So has anyone actually checked if they have a 300v or a 150v? I'm FE gang so till I see a FE affected I'm hands off. I did think it was interesting that Igor had a 150v and all of Gamers Nexus adapters were 300v.

On the flip side; on reddit some people are stating they have melted adapters and 300v, so it maybe a combination of things going horribly wrong that causes it, not a single cause.

P.S. Happy Halloween!
I checked, I'm not using the adapter anyway so I didn't really care, but it's 300V. I didn't rip it apart enough to see the solder pattern. Seems irrelevant cause there are reports of cooked 300V ones on Reddit now anyway.

Last edited:
I checked, I'm not using the adapter anyway so I didn't really care, but it's 300V. I didn't rip it apart enough to see the solder pattern. Seems irrelevant cause there are reports of cooked 300V ones on Reddit now anyway.
That’s where enduser error comes in.

It’s the most power hungry card ever released - I truly believe some people didn’t adequately prepare their systems.

It’s the most power hungry card ever released - I truly believe some people didn’t adequately prepare their systems.

Nah, the 3090 Ti draws more. I’m only seeing up to 350w in most games at 4K max settings. The highest I have seen is Cyberpunk pulling 400w with RT maxed out at 4K. This is with a 5.4-5.6GHz 7700X.

Nah, the 3090 Ti draws more. I’m only seeing up to 350w in most games at 4K max settings. The highest I have seen is Cyberpunk pulling 400w with RT maxed out at 4K. This is with a 5.4-5.6GHz 7700X.
The 3090 Ti did not have the adoption that the 4090 does. Does not even compare.

It's possible that's all it is all around. The different wire in and of itself definitely doesn't matter. The only thing it ever could have meant is a sign the adapters were made on 2 supply lines, and maybe one of them was doing something else wrong. 150V wire can definitely carry 12V fine.

https://store.cablemod.com/12vhpwr-angled-adapter/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12VHPWR+90/180+Degree+Adapter+Launch

The right angle adapter comes in 4 versions. It's an adapter, so you still need a cable as well, but it will be much easier to install without any major bends. They sell the cables too, in versions designed to fit the popular modular PSU's. That is the way to go, as the melting issue has been found to be poor design in that 4 8pins -> 12vhpwr adapter. As long as you don't use that you should be fine. And even those issues with the 12vhpwr adapter do not happen in every case, some youtubers tried to get one to fail but couldn't.

Last edited:
Read on overclock.net that someone was getting over 450watts with his MSI TRIO after flashing with stock 3 cable adapter last night.
Flashed mine to check it out and can confirm. I was able to pull 511 watts on the 3 cable adapter at +108 power limit after flashing the Suprim X bios.

Mines a pretty good sample, so to even get it to hit power limit... I had to run 3065 core and +1800 memory with +100volts in cyberpunk 4k max settings with no DLSS. With DLSS on my power draw was 380-450 watts.
Most I had seen before flash was 480 watts.

So, 30 watts with just a flash isn't bad. I suspect that will get me completely off the power limiter in 3dmark. The funny part is the Suprim X bios boosts higher at default clocks, so my old afterburner settings were shooting up to nearly 3.2ghz lol... Instant crash.

I settled on +150 core and +1800 memory with +50 volts. In Cyberpunk that seems to hold core at the magic 3ghz number and with DLSS on I am seeing 300-350 watts. About what my 3080 was.

I was able to snag a FE from Best Buy this morning using the app trick. I was going to wait until the cable issue was sorted out. But I REALLY wanted the FE and when I checked the app... I was surprised to find one at a nearby store. Drove over there thinking I was wasting my time, lo and behold...

III.jpg

So if you want a Founders, use the app. You can nab these while they're still on the truck!

I was able to snag a FE from Best Buy this morning using the app trick. I was going to wait until the cable issue was sorted out. But I REALLY wanted the FE and when I checked the app... I was surprised to find one at a nearby store. Drove over there thinking I was wasting my time, lo and behold...

View attachment 523337

So if you want a Founders, use the app. You can nab these while they're still on the truck!
What is this app trick. You mean enable instore availability and if the card shows out of stock means it’s there?

What is this app trick. You mean enable instore availability and if the card shows out of stock means it’s there?
Yep, exactly. If the card shows up on a "4090" search after checking the in-store tab, it will be marked as Sold Out but should be physically at the location. It may not be checked into the store system yet as per some reports, so then have a manager look for it. I didn't have a problem though, they found mine right away.

Last edited:
So what happened to Nvidia having "tremendous amounts of stock (4090)" All I see is sold out all over. And stores that do have the cards are offering them at highly inflated prices...

So what happened to Nvidia having "tremendous amounts of stock (4090)" All I see is sold out all over. And stores that do have the cards are offering them at highly inflated prices...
Fairly huge first wave on launch day. Now very low inventories moving in the channel. Still lots of Ampere to be sold, but it looks as most of the high end Ampere has pushed through. Expect to see lots of low end 3080 to 3060 cards over the next year. They have to push those down in the product stack perf-wise in order to be able to slot in lower tier Lovelace cards.

Fairly huge first wave on launch day. Now very low inventories moving in the channel. Still lots of Ampere to be sold, but it looks as most of the high end Ampere has pushed through. Expect to see lots of low end 3080 to 3060 cards over the next year. They have to push those down in the product stack perf-wise in order to be able to slot in lower tier Lovelace cards.

Felt like second wave was even bigger. Now notifications have died out lmao. Like trickle here or there for me. Nothing too frequent.

What happened was that the rumor turned out to be BS.

It was not even close.
May be it was just Best Buy I guess. Their second drop seems to have lasted almost 10 mins it seemed like. I could have bought multiple but they don’t let you buy more than 1 doesn’t matter if it’s different model. Their initial drop was non existent

May be it was just Best Buy I guess. Their second drop seems to have lasted almost 10 mins it seemed like. I could have bought multiple but they don’t let you buy more than 1 doesn’t matter if it’s different model. Their initial drop was non existent
They had no volume.

I literally just had lunch with Best Buy.

Yep, exactly. If the card shows up on a "4090" search after checking the in-store tab, it will be marked as Sold Out but should be physically at the location. It may not be checked into the store system yet as per some reports, so then have a manager look for it. I didn't have a problem though, they found mine right away.
I didn't know about this. Thanks for explaining. I will be checking that frequently...!

They had no volume.

I literally just had lunch with Best Buy.

Second time they were live for much longer. Launch it was shit. I grabbed one easily second time and had opp to grabs another brand but they limit you to one card no matter the brand each drop. I agree on shit volume if it was launch. I think they had little to no FEs on launch.

Second time they were live for much longer. Launch it was shit. I grabbed one easily second time and had opp to grabs another brand but they limit you to one card no matter the brand each drop. I agree on shit volume if it was launch. I think they had little to no FEs on launch.
FE was tiny, AIB was rather huge when looking back at launches comparatively.

FE was tiny, AIB was rather huge when looking back at launches comparatively.
Yea. Think they held back lot of stuff for priority access through GeForce experience. Targeting the 3000 series users. Mostly 3090s I guess.

Yea. Think they held back lot of stuff for priority access through GeForce experience. Targeting the 3000 series users. Mostly 3090s I guess.
There is not any evidence that many were available through BB.

There is not any evidence that many were available directly through nVidia.

There is not any evidence that many were available through targeted GeForce Experience notifications.

There is not any evidence of any significant supply of FE cards, period.

So... is the current working theory "Get 4090's into the wild. Make people want them... but they can't have them. Hey!!! The RTX 3090 is way cheaper!!! Let's buy that!!!" ?

So... is the current working theory "Get 4090's into the wild. Make people want them... but they can't have them. Hey!!! The RTX 3090 is way cheaper!!! Let's buy that!!!" ?
Cartman's amusement park south park episode says hello! :p

There is not any evidence that many were available through BB.

There is not any evidence that many were available directly through nVidia.

There is not any evidence that many were available through targeted GeForce Experience notifications.

There is not any evidence of any significant supply of FE cards, period.

Relax. I am not fighting for nvidia here. But its a fact they did targeted thing with geforce experience. Crap load of people got invite its all over the internet.

The PNY cards are decent if you just want a solid reference type design. Their warranty is one of the better one's for the US market as well.

Looks like it's still available. Tempting but man that looks ugly lol.
Its not really in stock thats why. Says item incoming so not sure how many orders they are taking. Might still end up being back ordered at this point.

Well thats two weeks and no drops at Best Buy so far today, and notifications are far and few in between as well. I am almost wondering if Nvidia is holding back inventory at this point due to adapter issue.

Also think scalpers are pulling back too with the adapter issue going on. Zotac finally had a drop yesterday and their website wasn't slammed like it usually is and could have gotten another easily if I needed.

Last edited:
Yea I'm wondering if RDNA3 will have the same supply issues. I hope not. There was also a Zotac drop at the nearest Microcenter.

Yea I'm wondering if RDNA3 will have the same supply issues. I hope not. There was also a Zotac drop at the nearest Microcenter.

its not supply issues. Its more like holding back inventory. Some due to 3k series and now alot probably has to do with these power adapter issues. May be they hold it back before they have more threads pop up and limit it to initial batch. Jensen flew out for some reason and probably has to control this issue. I have a feeling some sort of announcement coming from Nvidia. I think whatever is in the channel they probably sell it. Because I haven't seen as many notifications or drops as there were first two weeks. Then the power adapters started melting.

Rumor is AMD is going to have bunch of stock for RDNA3 as its their perfect opportunity to strike.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
https://www.adorama.com/pnyvcg409024.html , impulse bought coz I am an addict, probably cancel but go go go if u need it
I got notified about this last night and decided to give it a try. Used Apple Pay and got confirmation from my credit card company that the charge went through (it was about 1:30am local time). Got up this morning to an email that my order failed verification and to call them. Called and was told that my credit card was declined. I said that I got notice from my CC company that the charge went through - then the CSR starts in on something - I stopped her and requested that the order be cancelled. While I was on hold waiting to talk with them, I kinda remember reading issues on photography equipment buys with them and it seems that the whole "failed verification" is very common with them.
Thankfully I didn't get my hopes up on this so back to waiting and watching.

Adorama is usually pretty good. I have purchased stuff from there before and never had to "confirm" anything.

I got notified about this last night and decided to give it a try. Used Apple Pay and got confirmation from my credit card company that the charge went through (it was about 1:30am local time). Got up this morning to an email that my order failed verification and to call them. Called and was told that my credit card was declined. I said that I got notice from my CC company that the charge went through - then the CSR starts in on something - I stopped her and requested that the order be cancelled. While I was on hold waiting to talk with them, I kinda remember reading issues on photography equipment buys with them and it seems that the whole "failed verification" is very common with them.
Thankfully I didn't get my hopes up on this so back to waiting and watching.
There can be a pending charge on your CC but CC company can still hold and assume there might be fraud going on. It has happened with me on large purchases.

At least it’s regular PayPal so there’s protection. I’m sure it’ll go fine.

EDIT: max power draw for me has been 683W for my entire system - that's with the power target at 120% (600W on STRIX). I leave HWiNFO Pro running 24x7 - gaming is my primary workload.

View attachment 522828

Hahah. Had someone ask what the wall numbers were...just had to scroll down. DUH. Forgot I had my UPS connected to HWiNFO64 Pro, too...

ups_4090.jpg

There can be a pending charge on your CC but CC company can still hold and assume there might be fraud going on. It has happened with me on large purchases.
Thanks for the info. Usually Citibank alerts me when that type of thing happens, but this one showed as pending and no alerts. I'm not heartbroken that it happened - guess I'll see what AMD has to say today.

Thanks for the info. Usually Citibank alerts me when that type of thing happens, but this one showed as pending and no alerts. I'm not heartbroken that it happened - guess I'll see what AMD has to say today.
I get text alerts from my bank asking if I authorized the charge. Simply replying YES frees it up.

Back