Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

This is the one I’m getting. So tiny:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8853...-ichill-frosbite-tiny-water-cooled/index.html

1666843118050.jpeg

Running My Gigabyte 4090 Windforce with open case til the 90 degree adapter shows up. I have a compact case so I'd be one of the people concerned that shutting it could cause it to bend unnecessarily.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/adapter-...hot-12vhpwr-adapter-with-built-in-breakpoint/
Adapter is totally the problem, not the connector itself. Bridging all the connections like that is completely stupid, neither my Corsair or Moddiy cable do that, they both do 1:1 pins from the PSU to the GPU with no bridging. The adapter design has absolutely nothing stopping it from pulling 600w through a single PCIE 8pin->single 14AWG wire with a potentially shoddy solder job if the other solder points fail. This stems from Nvidia trying to be cute with the "smart" 3plug/4plug 450w/600w functionality. If they didn't do that, they could have just mapped pins 1:1 in the adapter and not bridged anything just like the other cables.

A 90deg adapter won't fix that if the solder is already weakened/straight bad from the factory.

So far looks like all the burouts have been with nvidia built in adapter. May be that adapter is so thick and creates a lot of pressure on the connector. I think that might have something to do with it with all those cables hanging off. Wondering if that is the main culprit. I have the direct corsair cable even though there is a bend with panel on.
I ordered a cablemod cable from their global store (US store was out of stock) to go with my PSU. Seems a bit safer than the stock adapter supplied by Nvidia. Hopefully when their 90 degree adapter comes out to order on the 31st I will be able to get one of those, but in the meantime this should suffice. Not to sure if I'll install the card with the Nvidia adapter or not at this point. My case is large (7000D) so I have plenty of room, but the older I get the more anxiety and worry comes with it unfortunately.

I agree that the connector is wonky and poorly designed but am I the only one that thinks this is not as big of deal as it’s being made out to be? I have a Gigabyte Windforce 4090 in my old trusty Cooler Master ATCS 840 with the side panel on. I didn’t have to bend the cable any more than it was naturally bending from gravity. Been running it hard for a week and it’s perfectly fine. I’m not worried at all.

I agree that the connector is wonky and poorly designed but am I the only one that thinks this is not as big of deal as it’s being made out to be? I have a Gigabyte Windforce 4090 in my old trusty Cooler Master ATCS 840 with the side panel on. I didn’t have to bend the cable any more than it was naturally bending from gravity. Been running it hard for a week and it’s perfectly fine. I’m not worried at all.
Yes but how will you tubers make money if they have your mindset. 👀

Fear mongering sells. Heck they even got me with the whole disconnecting and checking my cable at fucking 4 AM today.

Yes but how will you tubers make money if they have your mindset. 👀

Fear mongering sells. Heck they even got me with the whole disconnecting and checking my cable at fucking 4 AM today.

IDK if its all fear mongering. I mean igor's lab just did a test. nvidia should have just included a 90 degree adapter and rid themselves of these issues. Its just a poor implementation that if its not set right or bend causes poor contact it can cause imbalance or power. it's just a lot to it. I am sure most people will be fine.

IDK if its all fear mongering. I mean igor's lab just did a test. nvidia should have just included a 90 degree adapter and rid themselves of these issues. Its just a poor implementation that if its not set right or bend causes poor contact it can cause imbalance or power. it's just a lot to it. I am sure most people will be fine.
Don't mind charging $1600 for the 4090, too cheap to include a proper power adapter/connector. C'mon nvidia you can do better.

This whole 4090 upgrade is quickly becoming a rebuild! The adapter thing was scary so have ordered the MSI PSU that has native 16-pin to 16-pin connector and cable. Then decided I might as well go ahead and upgrade the CPU while at it--then install a larger AIO as that had been on my mind! Current Seasonic didn't have four available 8-pin connectors to properly feed the 4-legged adapter to the 4090 (used only 3) which seemed like a mis-match from the get-go. Parts arriving now.

Thought I might as well get a larger case to alleviate cable-bending but enough is enough! Decided to just leave the side panel off the current case if necessary. Oh, and ordered an EVGA PSU that did have more PCIE connectors but will be sending that back to Amazon in lieu of the MSI ATX 3.0 model. And all of this pursuant to a badly designed product from the get-go. GPU and PSU both MSI so if they fry, I'll take it up with them. Also on the Cablemod list as well for their product.

A 90deg adapter wouldn't have solved this completely. Yeah less people would break the solder in the adapter if they were bending it less...but it will still happen in some cases. What they should have done is had 600w 4-plug adapters and 450w 3-plug adapters, not an adapter that can be used with 3 or 4 plugs. That's the reason they have to bridge all the connections, and bridging all the connections isn't great, even if done with adequate quality, because there will always be variances in quality and things happen that could cause quality issues. It's much better for the outcome of solder failing to be 1 pin is no longer connected and the GPU doesn't work, rather than all the power is drawn through less wires/connections and causes more damage.

This whole 4090 upgrade is quickly becoming a rebuild! The adapter thing was scary so have ordered the MSI PSU that has native 16-pin to 16-pin connector and cable. Then decided I might as well go ahead and upgrade the CPU while at it--then install a larger AIO as that had been on my mind! Current Seasonic didn't have four available 8-pin connectors to properly feed the 4-legged adapter to the 4090 (used only 3) which seemed like a mis-match from the get-go. Parts arriving now.

Thought I might as well get a larger case to alleviate cable-bending but enough is enough! Decided to just leave the side panel off the current case if necessary. Oh, and ordered an EVGA PSU that did have more PCIE connectors but will be sending that back to Amazon in lieu of the MSI ATX 3.0 model. And all of this pursuant to a badly designed product from the get-go. GPU and PSU both MSI so if they fry, I'll take it up with them. Also on the Cablemod list as well for their product.
I'd rather use a quality PSU than get a currently available ATX 3.0 model. Hopefully MSI uses a good PSU manufacturer underneath their name. Because I certainly have not heard the term "MSI" and "quality PSU" used together before...

I'm holding out for Seasonic and Corsair's offerings.

More on topic - a rebuild is a good idea for a 4090. 1) CPU 2) DDR5 3) case size. It's not that it's a badly designed product - it is a generational leap in graphics performance. /leatherjacket

It seems like the last 4 melted 4090s have all been the ASUS TUF card. I wonder if their implementation of the connector on the card using Nvidia's adapter is the issue during certain scenarios.

It's a good thing ETH is irrelevant now! Imagine the fires from these things pulling that kind of current continuously.

Because we don't want our 4090's sounding like jet engines?

(Yes, I know this is a joke)
I didn't mind the woosh noise of the squirrel cage style blower with that card. It had crazy loud coil whine though with pitches that could get a pack of coyotes going 100 yards away!

It's a good thing ETH is irrelevant now! Imagine the fires from these things pulling that kind of current continuously.
It's ok, they're garbage for memory intensive algorithms like ethash anyway due to the gimped memory bus. They're great at core intensitve algorithms that max out power usage though, like ravencoin's kawpow. :ROFLMAO:

As somebody with a 6900XT water blocked card, I thought I would probably sit this generation out... until it was shown just how much of a performance improvement the 4090 has over the last gen cards. I'm still waiting to see the actual performance of the 79XX series from AMD, but if I go the Nvidia route then I'll pick one that comes bundled with a a mult-four pin adapter cable and an accompanying fire extinguisher.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
It seems like the last 4 melted 4090s have all been the ASUS TUF card. I wonder if their implementation of the connector on the card using Nvidia's adapter is the issue during certain scenarios.
It seems to be just the quad 8-pin to single 16-pin adapter causing issues. My Gaming Trio only came with a 3 to 1 adapter, which seems nearly identical to the adapter my 3090 Ti Suprim X used with no issues.

https://www.techspot.com/news/96471...pter-responsible-melting-rtx-4090-cables.html

As somebody with a 6900XT water blocked card, I thought I would probably sit this generation out... until it was shown just how much of a performance improvement the 4090 has over the last gen cards. I'm still waiting to see the actual performance of the 79XX series from AMD, but if I go the Nvidia route then I'll pick one that comes bundled with a a mult-four pin adapter cable and an accompanying fire extinguisher.

I'm also looking for an upgrade. I was very impressed with the 4090 performance leap over the 30 series but not impressed with the idea of my GPU melting. I think I'll wait for AMDs presentation next Thursday too.

Jayztwocents cant replicate the issue even breaking all of the cardinal rules on his (Non TUF) 4090.

In other news, I learned I shouldn't be using pigtails. I am going to dig out my other PCI-E connectors this afternoon. Currently running two pigtails to power the whole card O.O

Jayztwocents cant replicate the issue even breaking all of the cardinal rules on his (Non TUF) 4090.

In other news, I learned I shouldn't be using pigtails. I am going to dig out my other PCI-E connectors this afternoon. Currently running two pigtails to power the whole card O.O

Pigtails aren't automatically bad, but you are increasing load on the relevant rail or rails. Extension cords with multiple outlets daisy chained off each other (pigtails plugged into pig tails) also aren't inherently bad as long as the connections are all secure, the cords are undamaged, and total load is below what the outlet and fuse/breaker are rated to handle. The new adapter is apparently a fragile cable and per Igor of his Lab that is especially true of some Nvidia branded cables being of poor quality leading to bad connections and melting.

Got the card today, and decided to give the "dongle" a shot. It does have a little pressure downward due to the weight of the cables themselves, but it's not too bad. I can run this with the side panel on as the panel does not hit the cables at all, so I'm relieved about that. One of the perks of having a large case I guess. We'll see how it goes from here.
4090-1.jpg4090-2.jpg

Pigtails aren't automatically bad, but you are increasing load on the relevant rail or rails. Extension cords with multiple outlets daisy chained off each other (pigtails plugged into pig tails) also aren't inherently bad as long as the connections are all secure, the cords are undamaged, and total load is below what the outlet and fuse/breaker are rated to handle. The new adapter is apparently a fragile cable and per Igor of his Lab that is especially true of some Nvidia branded cables being of poor quality leading to bad connections and melting.
To my knowledge every adapter that shipped with every 4090 is Nvidia branded, Nvidia mandated that. So the design Igor found applies to all of them.

It's POSSIBLE the 3-connector adapters are properly designed and don't share the problem, because there's no need to bridge connections when you aren't designing a 4 connector adapter that can work with 3 or 4 connectors attached.

Got the card today, and decided to give the "dongle" a shot. It does have a little pressure downward due to the weight of the cables themselves, but it's not too bad. I can run this with the side panel on as the panel does not hit the cables at all, so I'm relieved about that. One of the perks of having a large case I guess. We'll see how it goes from here.
View attachment 522012View attachment 522013
Well done. I have a 7000X and a Strix 4090. The side glass panel down touch the cables but ever so slightly.

Every single 4090 12vhwr dongle out there is a fire hazard. Surely they would do a recall or something.

Risk of fire? No thanks. That's why I do not buy right away. Seems like the old 6/8 pin connectors worked just fine......

Risk of fire? No thanks. That's why I do not buy right away. Seems like the old 6/8 pin connectors worked just fine......
Plenty of 6/8pin PCIE connectors have also cooked over the years. The adapters might be more prone to meltage, but it's not like no 6/8pins ever melted and every 12VHPWR adapter will melt. Both are rare, one might just be an order of magnitude more rare.

None of that changes that the adapter design and build quality are garbage and they should send new ones to everyone that are properly designed. Just make them all 4 connector, 1:1 pin routing, no bridging BS. If people don't have 4 8pins from their PSU they should probably be getting a new PSU before trying to run a 4090 anyway.

View attachment 522012View attachment 522013
Love that kickstand. Found it. Two on the way.

https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Brace-Support-Holder-Bracket/dp/B09FPJL1KY/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back