Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

That’s why I have my glass off. And I didn’t go for aesthetics. Will try to get the Corsair or cable mod when it is widely available. Don’t want to play fastest finger with those products.
As much as I hate having the side panel off - it's starting to be more and more a thing these days with some of these cards and cases.

As much as I hate having the side panel off - it's starting to be more and more a thing these days with some of these cards and cases.
Fortunately, my case is large enough that I don't have to worry about that, but I've seen way too many people post pictures of their 4090s where the cases were just too small for the card. Even if they technically fit, you still need some clearance, which most of the people who have the issue I'm guessing don't have. Add to that any overclocking, and you're asking for danger.

Fortunately, my case is large enough that I don't have to worry about that, but I've seen way too many people post pictures of their 4090s where the cases were just too small for the card. Even if they technically fit, you still need some clearance, which most of the people who have the issue I'm guessing don't have. Add to that any overclocking, and you're asking for danger.

Honestly the size of the cooler is just too big. Even in decent size cases there is little room after you plug in the cable lol.

My Setup looks pretty bad. I'm afraid to bend the power connector after the last couple of fires. So sits without side panel for now. Waiting for the 90 degree powermod cable adapter to try and attempt to close it.

My4090.JPG

I skimmed thru some of the cases, tempted to pick up a dual chamber case. Just not sure any of the cases are particularly deep from the side panel to the motherboard anyways. I need to flip thru some more pictures I guess.

Honestly the size of the cooler is just too big. Even in decent size cases there is little room after you plug in the cable lol.
The issue though is that these cards are not designed for just decent sized cases. They're for the super towers, or other humungous cases.

With a glass side panel and only 2 vertical slots, the GPU won't work mounted vertically. Therefore, I would agree that a 90-degree connector for the power would be beneficial here. Seems like this is what you want?
https://videocardz.com/newz/cablemo...12vhpwr-power-adapter-for-geforce-rtx-40-gpus

I also just found this article that explains some mitigations, at least until you can procure one of those 90-degree adpaters.
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-16-pin-...-graphics-card-burns-up-melts-the-cable-plug/

Last edited:
My Setup looks pretty bad. I'm afraid to bend the power connector after the last couple of fires. So sits without side panel for now. Waiting for the 90 degree powermod cable adapter to try and attempt to close it.

View attachment 521632

I skimmed thru some of the cases, tempted to pick up a dual chamber case. Just not sure any of the cases are particularly deep from the side panel to the motherboard anyways. I need to flip thru some more pictures I guess.

we will be waiting for those 90 degree adapters for a while. I signed up to be notified but now with this issue the demand for those is going to blow up. I am sure bots are already targeting those and we will be paying scalper prices on them. Nvidia really should have included one with 4090 atleast for free since the damn cooler is so huge given the cost of the card here. Kind negligence on their part.

The issue though is that these cards are not designed for just decent sized cases. They're for the super towers, or other humungous cases.

Nvidia could have easily addressed this with including 90 degree adapter. But leather jacket man wants all his $$$$.

Yeah. Even with a block on it, I'm having an internal debate as to "is the O11 non-XL I have for my gaming box big enough for the future...".

As it is now, I ended up with a 3090 on water instead of the 3080 I planned, so I have to have the side off for the optimus block to even ~fit~. I'm suspecting a 4090 block will be much the same in the end, which... yeah. I'd rather just get a bigger case and put the side back on again.

View attachment 521632

You could probably make that look a little better by using the vertical mount slots.

Edit: You'd still have to leave the case panel off, but at least the power cable wouldn't be sticking out into the room like a tumor.

It is beyond idiotic that these RTX 4090 cards doesn’t have the power connector at an angle or something that. Doesn’t the product managers use these cards themselves, like WTF?! Terrible QA and product development, top to bottom. You realize this like one minute after installing the cards, sorry but this is unacceptable.

You could probably make that look a little better by using the vertical mount slots.

Edit: You'd still have to leave the case panel off, but at least the power cable wouldn't be sticking out into the room like a tumor.
I did consider that as well but then the cable would have to flex towards the right and on cablemods website that maybe worse than bending it down.Link As you pointed out it would require a fair bit of dremeling to get a 3 slot card to fit and then I would still have to leave the side panel off for air.

I don't have a picture of it, but I ended up zip tieing the glass panel to the shelf so it sits about where the panel would normally go but away from the case itself, It made me nervous to have the side of the PC otherwise open to a bump or accidental poke.

Also seeing about ordering a custom cable from the cablemod people.

What a pain....

I think Accursed needs to man up and close up that case. YOLO bro!
You're joking but...yeah, it's gonna be OK. Just close it up. I have two closed up 4090s with a bend and they're both doing OK. Does that count for the positive side? So far we have a handful of cables that have had issues and it has people claiming the world is ending...lol.

I'm [h] so I invested in a Halon system. Gonna be like T2 up in here. /s

I think Accursed needs to man up and close up that case. YOLO bro!

You're joking but...yeah, it's gonna be OK. Just close it up. I have two closed up 4090s with a bend and they're both doing OK. Does that count for the positive side? So far we have a handful of cables that have had issues and it has people claiming the world is ending...lol.

I'm [h] so I invested in a Halon system. Gonna be like T2 up in here. /s

Screw it, My [H]ard brothers say to do it, tonight it gets shut!

(Right after I check my home owners policy on fires) It will get done!

4090s are working great. However, we are beta testing that new connector. Time will tell if it's a problem or not.
The parts of the connector that matter (carry high current) are the same as 3080/90FE's and all 3090TI's, it's not brand new. What's new is the size of the cards making it more likely to be smashed up against the side of cases.

And it's not like PCIE 8pins have never cooked in the history of GPUs...

annnnd another reddit thread from a user that had a melted connector.
At the very least it's bad PR for NVIDIA. It will be interesting to see what they do.

I have checked my two 4090s - one using the Corsair cable, one using the NVIDIA cable - each one on an AX1600i - all good since launch so far. I'll keep an eye one them but I am not worried.

At the very least it's bad PR for NVIDIA. It will be interesting to see what they do.

I have checked my two 4090s - one using the Corsair cable, one using the NVIDIA cable - each one on an AX1600i - all good since launch so far. I'll keep an eye one them but I am not worried.
I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia is making a right angle adapter to mail to people for free, and they just want to have some stocked up before they announce it.

The irony of the situation is some people are going to be paranoid from this and start checking their cable daily...which will then loosen the pins from so much fiddling and actually cause the problem.

For you guys that own the 4090's with the stock Nvidia cable adapter, do you feel confident in the adapter? I am asking since I'm able to pick up my 4090 tomorrow. I was debating about just getting a different power supply that is PCIE 5.0 to hold me over until this gets resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t be stupid in bending and you should be fine. Also don’t use a 850 watts PSU and try to overclock the snot out of the card.

Connect the 4 cables before slotting the card on motherboard. Install the connector on the card before slotting it in motherboard. Throw side panel of whatever case you have out. You should be golden.

For you guys that own the 4090's with the stock Nvidia cable adapter, do you feel confident in the adapter? I am asking since I'm able to pick up my 4090 tomorrow. I was debating about just getting a different power supply that is PCIE 5.0 to hold me over until this gets resolved.
I'm fine with it. I just don't OC to hell and watch my bend on the cables.

Just checked my connector and it is fine. You mofos made me lose a count. 28 connections left. Gotta write the count on my prison wall. Fuckers.
Lol dude I was checking using my phone flashlight and my eyeballs I’m not literally disconnecting that shiz 😄

Don’t think you can check the melt until you disconnect. Especially if it is working normally. It may still be melting but you won’t know about it until your house burns down.

Don’t think you can check the melt until you disconnect. Especially if it is working normally. It may still be melting but you won’t know about it until your house burns down.
I dunno I thought from the pics you can see it further up? There would be melting you could see if it is cause for concern, IMO.

Most melts seem at tips of pins. Especially the latest Reddit post. Those tips are in the slot so don’t think you can see them without disconnecting. Also the dude’s card was working normally so I would assume it melted but pins are working. Might be a power surge or some other issue due to the bend. May have also not destroyed the connector on the video card.

So disconnect to check your cable and then reduce the count by 1.

Here is mine.

1D2CA318-2262-4DEC-8E25-ECB82493826A.jpeg

Most melts seem at tips of pins. Especially the latest Reddit post. Those tips are in the slot so don’t think you can see them without disconnecting. Also the dude’s card was working normally so I would assume it melted but pins are working. Might be a power surge or some other issue due to the bend. May have also not destroyed the connector on the video card.
Sigh OK so I need to start burning disconnects like you, I guess. I am gonna wait a bit. I used 1:1 PCIe cables (no splits) to the 4-way NVIDIA cable and of course the Corsair cable is connecting to their top-end PSU so let's hope...

So far looks like all the burouts have been with nvidia built in adapter. May be that adapter is so thick and creates a lot of pressure on the connector. I think that might have something to do with it with all those cables hanging off. Wondering if that is the main culprit. I have the direct corsair cable even though there is a bend with panel on.

View attachment 521632

Wow, this is worse than I imagined. Even if you bent it 30 degrees or so it looks like it would still stick out 3-4 inches beyond the panel on a full size case. The cablemod 90 degree adapter looks good, but with PSUs being bottom mounted nowadays it still looks like you'd have to bend it more than you should.

Back