Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

Yup, this was another major reason I defaulted to Asus Strix. I have a Samsung Q950A hooked up to my computer as well as two OLEDs… and a G9 Neo. HDMI is the only channel which allows 12bpc colors on the G9 Neo (which has a huge impact on how colors look with HDR). Secondly the Q950A is useless if I feed in video to it, can only get 4k6Hz, so that takes up an HDMI spot since it acts as an independent sound system

All in all, don’t know why HDMI is becoming so unpopular. My use case is all HDMI; can’t get above 10bpc on the Neo using DP.

I am super annoyed with this card in this regard. My fricking 6600xt did 165hz on 4K over HDMI and with 3060 too on my Samsung Ark 55. I totally don't understand why 4090 is totally not giving me option for my monitor. Its weird and annoying. If RDNA3 does it and nvidia doesn't fix it in drivers. Someone here will have a 4090FE or its going back. Really annoyed by Nvidia here.

So tried a high end 8K display port 1.4a to HDMI 2.1 cable that is rated at 4k 144hz minimum but no luck, shot be able to get 165hz at 8bit with it. Looks like this GPU does not see my Samsung Ark 55 as 165hz at 4k. I would even settle for 144hz. Its a bummer.

Last edited:
Have the same cable - extra slack can help - or don’t use the side panel. Also - feel free to live with it. One report out of thousands of builds (many ppl are absolute morons out there compared to us). I feel pretty good about it.

Another user hit with the power plug burned out. I think it’s an issue of your gaming heavily. I don’t think it should be taken lightly. There is literally no way to not have a bend given how big these cards are.

https://twitter.com/hms1193/status/1584641971234439168?s=46&t=YmcX_g2LSqA4NIi68au2UQ

I hear you. I setup a second gaming station connected to my main system that just happens to be on the opposite side of my office. 4k @ 60Hz was no issue for longer cable runs but I went through multiple cables trying to find one that could do 4k @ 144Hz over 40ft in length. Ended up with this AAXY 8K 40' HDMI

Having done 4k TVs since 2015 I am surprised that with the smaller sets (below 50") being so popular for PC use that the manufacturers by and large haven't really pushed to add DP connection abilities.

Oh well - adapt and enjoy!
I remember the AAXY cable! I tried it for a 50ft in wall run. Thankfully tested it before doing in-wall… turned out to be defective. Bought a RUIPRO fiber HDMI for a 50ft run. Tested it for a week before putting it in wall.

Something to note, moonlight tends to do 4k120Hz with HDR10 very well… no noticeable lag so great for those hard to reach runs.

I am super annoyed with this card in this regard. My fricking 6600xt did 165hz on 4K over HDMI and with 3060 too on my Samsung Ark 55. I totally don't understand why 4090 is totally not giving me option for my monitor. Its weird and annoying. If RDNA3 does it and nvidia doesn't fix it in drivers. Someone here will have a 4090FE or its going back. Really annoyed by Nvidia here.

So tried a high end 8K display port 1.4a to HDMI 2.1 cable that is rated at 4k 144hz minimum but no luck, shot be able to get 165hz at 8bit with it. Looks like this GPU does not see my Samsung Ark 55 as 165hz at 4k. I would even settle for 144hz. Its a bummer.
Oh that’s a major bummer! I was thinking of replacing my G9 Neo with the Ark just last week… nearly did it but then got lazy. I am glad I read this.

This may be a long shot, but have you looked into any software updated for the Ark?

Secondly, if you can trick the card into thinking that it has a 4k 165Hz display attached to it (and duplicating it), say, with one of those high end $500 EDID emulators, do you think that might work?

Come to think of it, I remember there was a wonky situation with the G9 Neo as well in the beginning that was kind of like this.

Edit: something like this guy https://hdfury.com/product/8k-vrroom-40gbps/

Be careful with overclocking and giving it more juice and your cables guys. This is my Corsair cable. I haven’t gamed hard core yet and haven’t cranked up power just staying with in spec. Check if the bend is pulling your cable out. I am pushing mine back in. I have no idea why the hell pci-sig or nvidia won’t push to solder these cables so the pins have less chance of getting pulled out.

Attachments

• C7355D1A-9ABF-4604-8986-7A541A237725.jpeg
    C7355D1A-9ABF-4604-8986-7A541A237725.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 0
Oh that’s a major bummer! I was thinking of replacing my G9 Neo with the Ark just last week… nearly did it but then got lazy. I am glad I read this.

This may be a long shot, but have you looked into any software updated for the Ark?

Secondly, if you can trick the card into thinking that it has a 4k 165Hz display attached to it (and duplicating it), say, with one of those high end $500 EDID emulators, do you think that might work?

Come to think of it, I remember there was a wonky situation with the G9 Neo as well in the beginning that was kind of like this.

I honestly would rather return the card or sell it here if it doesn't work out. It does have the latest update. Its just crazy that these guys could care less about top of the line display and not giving a shit about res and support lmao. While the older cards work fine.

When I installed my 4090 FE this past weekend I had to really bend the adapter to get it to fit in my case with the side panel on like many others. Even then my side panel may be touching the cable just a little bit. The card is incredible but the included adapter and connector placement on it is just plain bad. As soon as other alternatives come out I'll be buying them ASAP. I'm not too worried about the connector melting or anything crazy like that but I still don't feel good about having to bend the adapter so much
IMG_0017.JPEG

I put the 6600xt in my Son's computer. had to finish deleting some stuff off it. Passing the older rig to him. But look at this. 6600xt connected via hdmi getting full blown 165hz and also its doing 10bit instead of 8bit + I can push HDR as well.

1666662536416.png

Last edited:
When I installed my 4090 FE this past weekend I had to really bend the adapter to get it to fit in my case with the side panel on like many others. Even then my side panel may be touching the cable just a little bit. The card is incredible but the included adapter and connector placement on it is just plain bad. As soon as other alternatives come out I'll be buying them ASAP. I'm not too worried about the connector melting or anything crazy like that but I still don't feel good about having to bend the adapter so muchView attachment 521140

I would just recommend not doing any power increases on it above 450w. The pins do get pulled back when its bent for sure so pushing it too hard might be cause of concern.

When I installed my 4090 FE this past weekend I had to really bend the adapter to get it to fit in my case with the side panel on like many others. Even then my side panel may be touching the cable just a little bit. The card is incredible but the included adapter and connector placement on it is just plain bad. As soon as other alternatives come out I'll be buying them ASAP. I'm not too worried about the connector melting or anything crazy like that but I still don't feel good about having to bend the adapter so muchView attachment 521140

I wouldn't do any gaming like that until you get the 90 degree connector, otherwise keep a fire distinguisher nearby.

Cablemods stock is going to get blown out very very very quickly

Nvidia literally should have included 90 degree adapter with this card. its kina ridiculous that they ignored it. The cards are so huge there is going to be bend given the small amount of room the cases have after you close it.

I put the 6600xt in my Son's computer. had to finish deleting some stuff off it. Passing the older rig to him. But look at this. 6600xt connected via hdmi getting full blown 165hz and also its doing 10bit instead of 8bit + I can push HDR as well.

View attachment 521141

I remember the G9 Neo had a situation like this as well. An update either through Nvidia air Samsung solved it for me.

Why didn't nVidia make the card with 3 separate 8 pin PSU connections instead of one large 24 pin?

Why didn't nVidia make the card with 3 separate 8 pin PSU connections instead of one large 24 pin?
It's 16-pin (12 power/ground + 4 sense) and is the standard PCI-E 5.0 auxiliary power connector that supports up to 600W (8-pin PCI-E are 150W each). It's physically smaller and takes up less room than 3 or 4 8-pin cables would take. We're in this period of the chicken and egg problem right now. The adapter is adding complexity and resistance to the power chain that is causing issues on multiple fronts. I am sure these issues will smooth out as ATX 3.0 power supplies become ubiquitous. Seasonic units are expected in December, but there are other rebranded OEMs out there right now. ASUS, Gigabyte, and Thermaltake are selling them currently.

Anyone think because of the bad press we'll suddenly see in influx of 4090s as Nvidia tries to sell off a bunch of stock before RDNA 3 releases?

Anyone think because of the bad press we'll suddenly see in influx of 4090s as Nvidia tries to sell off a bunch of stock before RDNA 3 releases?
That's assuming they have warehouses of stock just waiting for Jensen to give the signal to start shipping. I've been doubting these reports of huge 40 series stock after what we've seen so far in the 4090 release.

That's assuming they have warehouses of stock just waiting for Jensen to give the signal to start shipping. I've been doubting these reports of huge 40 series stock after what we've seen so far in the 4090 release.
What we can see, is only the available/Demand stock ratio, not much one or the other, we know there was line around the block type of demand and worldwide bot effort to get them, which seem to indicate rather large demand, which could make the talk of large stock for an over $1500 cards (not for a lower model one) talk possibly true even if they are hard to get.

Ii could imagine such card overrepresented in the steam hardware survey and steam up playing their users base, but if we go by them there around 600k 3090 in steam machine (and we can assume that a card with an higher than usual percentage of usage in non steam gaming PC, scientifics, data, cad, 3d-graphic etc...)

The 4090 should be significantly more popular among gamers all thing being equal has it seem a much better value over the 4080 than the 3090 was over the 3080(which is not, paying for them via part time mining, pandemic lock-down, etc...), say there is a demand for 900K cards worldwide, and say the stock was really much concentrated on the US, on the FE side to supply their bestbuy deal notably.

I can imagine some people in some position, looking at 15% of that demand has a stock moving around, hundreds of thousands of cards, seeing that has being ultra massive and even too much (the end users sold box are massive after all, that must be impressive to see even just 1,000 of them in a row, remember the reaction of seeing 40-80 of them for a mining operation).

Last edited:
What we can see, is only the available/Demand stock ratio, not much on or the other, we know there was line around the block type of demand and worldwide bot effort to get them, which seem to indicate rather large demand, which could make the talk of large stock for an over $1500 cards (not for a lower model one) talk possibly true even if they are hard to get.

Ii could imagine such card overrepresented in the steam hardware survey and steam up playing their users base, but if we go by them there around 600k 3090 in steam machine (and we can assume that a card with an higher than usual percentage of usage in non steam gaming PC, scientifics, data, cad, 3d-graphic etc...)

The 4090 should be significantly more popular among gamers all thing being equal has it seem a much better value over the 4080 than the 3090 was over the 3080(which is not, paying for them via part time mining, pandemic lock-down, etc...), say there is a demand for 900K cards worldwide, and say the stock was really much concentrated on the US, on the FE side to supply their bestbuy deal notably.

I can imagine some people in some position, looking at 15% of that stock moving around, hundreds of thousands of cards, seeing that has being ultra massive and even too much (the end users sold box are massive after all, that must be impressive to see even just 1,000 of them in a row, remember the reaction of seeing 40-80 of them for a mining operation).
It's going to be one of the least bought cards in the entire 40 series line-up, that much is a fact we know based on past releases. If the huge stock rumors were true I would expect to see an excess of supply over demand, which we clearly aren't seeing.

It's going to be one of the least bought cards in the entire 40 series line-up, that much is a fact we know based on past releases. If the huge stock rumors were true I would expect to see an excess of supply over demand, which we clearly aren't seeing.
Yes thus the talk of large stock always being in the sentence for an Halo card, for an xx90 ranges, people talking about the stock being large were always saying a large stock for what will be one of the least sold card. Which make that point a bit mute.

If the huge stock rumors were true I would expect to see an excess of supply over demand, which we clearly aren't seeing.
Except if the demands is a little bit higher than the large stock (has the large stock talk was relative to say the 3090 a very small in demand card), also American people talking about huge stock relative to what they make of the demand in their minds does not necessarily calculate well the low stock of the rest of the world but with a part of it still ready to buy it and get it ship.

It seem that some shop can get their hands on them:
https://www.amazon.com/45L-i9-13900KF-Processor-Computer-Made_by_HP/dp/B0B4PRTW5G
https://www.amazon.com/stores/Compu...03BD-3387-4769-A21A-55B45FFDD027?ref_=ast_bln

Will see in November how much availability the R15 of Alienware with the 4090 has an option will have has well

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes thus the talk of large stock always being in the sentence for an Halo card, for an xx90 ranges, people talking about the stock being large were always saying a large stock for what will be one of the least sold card. Which make that point a bit mute.

Except if the demands is a little bit higher than the large stock (has the large stock talk was relative to say the 3090 a very small in demand card), also American people talking about huge stock relative to what they make of the demand in their minds does not necessarily calculate well the low stock of the rest of the world but with a part of it still ready to buy it and get it ship.

It seem that some shop can get their hands on them:
https://www.amazon.com/45L-i9-13900KF-Processor-Computer-Made_by_HP/dp/B0B4PRTW5G
https://www.amazon.com/stores/Compu...03BD-3387-4769-A21A-55B45FFDD027?ref_=ast_bln

Will see in November how much availability the R15 of Alienware with the 4090 has an option will have has well
Moot, not mute. Also don't really know what you're saying in that sentence. The stock was rumored to be large, no one specified that only 4080 stock would be large....

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Moot, not mute. Also don't really know what you're saying in that sentence. The stock was rumored to be large, no one specified that only 4080 stock would be large....
I am saying that everyone the qualified the stock has large was talking of large stock for a high-priced xx90 cards, not for a regular video card.

i would not imagine a superbe stock of 4080, if they were able to unlaunch the 4080 it must have been a very little amount of them at the time of that decision

Last edited:
I am saying that everyone the qualified the stock has large was talking of large stock for a high-priced xx90 cards, not for a regular video card.
You should proofread before posting a bit more, that sentence still is not good. I did not hear that ONLY the 4090 stock would be large, but I guess you did.

You should proofread before posting a bit more, that sentence still is not good. I did not hear that ONLY the 4090 stock would be large, but I guess you did.
No, what I mean is that stock being large is relative to the item being sold, would it have been the stock quantity of the new Iphone or nintendo console or 4060 video card the amount seeing around would have been small, but for an halo high priced video card, relative to the previous halo card launch it was a large amount, that was the rumors.

That sentence was not a comment on anything else than the rumored 4090 card, I must be really terrible at english (second language for me) because this is an incredibly simple concept.

Say someone say that the latest Ferrari model stock is large, he would mean large for a new Ferrari model, not large would it be the stock of Toyota Corolla.

No, what I mean is that stock being large is relative to the item being sold, would it have been the stock quantity of the new Iphone or nintendo console or 4060 video card the amount seeing around would have been small, but for an halo high priced video card, relative to the previous halo card launch it was a large amount, that was the rumors.

That sentence was not a comment on anything else than the rumored 4090 card, I must be really terrible at english (second language for me) because this is an incredibly simple concept.

Say someone say that the latest Ferrari model stock is large, he would mean large for a new Ferrari model, not large would it be the stock of Toyota Corolla.
Right, but either way what he means is that the Ferrari should be much easier to obtain this time around. Yet here we are several weeks out and they're all still OOS. So that likely means the initial rumors of excess stock were false. I can't fathom someone talking up big stock just because we have 10% more cards to release than last gen., that's just dishonest nonsense.

Right, but either way what he means is that the Ferrari should be much easier to obtain this time around. Yet here we are several weeks out and they're all still OOS. So that likely means the initial rumors of excess stock were false. I can't fathom someone talking up big stock just because we have 10% more cards to release than last gen., that's just dishonest nonsense.
Yes I assumed someone seeing at least 30-50% more than the 3090, Titan, etc... previous launch at the same numbers of days before launch, the way it was talking about.

Say someone with a large channel that saw 5K for Titans card, 25K for 2080TI, 40K 3090 going around in 2020, 200k 3080 and 600k 3060-3060Ti for their launch and now saw 65k 4090 instead.

Which would make the talk of large stock true, but would not make 25,000 more cards in a channel on 900,000 wanted making impossible for people to still have a hard time to put their hands on them at reasonable price, if we look at those sold yesterday on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=0&LH_PrefLoc=2&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1
Almost all of them 2,400 or less.

We have to not forget that their reference for a card that was really hard to buy has well and that card that was hard to buy didn't got close to the 4090 value for gamers and had direct competition launched much closer.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I have an Odyssey Ark as well; it's a bug with the latest NVIDIA driver. I had a 3090 Ti before upgrading to the 4090, and I noticed the same thing - updating to the latest driver killed 165hz at 4k, rolling back one driver set fixed it. Unfortunately can't do that with the 4090 since it only has the one available driver. The issue is posted several times on NVIDIA forums, and NVIDIA has acknowledged that the next update will resolve the issue.

I have an Odyssey Ark as well; it's a bug with the latest NVIDIA driver. I had a 3090 Ti before upgrading to the 4090, and I noticed the same thing - updating to the latest driver killed 165hz at 4k, rolling back one driver set fixed it. Unfortunately can't do that with the 4090 since it only has the one available driver. The issue is posted several times on NVIDIA forums, and NVIDIA has acknowledged that the next update will resolve the issue.

I saw the known issues just now. Thanks. Hopefully they are talking about 4k. Becuase it does show 165hz up to 2560 and then 120hz for anything higher. Lets see. Got options I guess lol.

Last edited:
Cable Melting I watched a video where it said the cable is flush against the glass of the case and it bends and melts.
Too much POWER so that is why everyone is talking about Cable Mod cables less Bend for the buck.

That’s why I have my glass off. And I didn’t go for aesthetics. Will try to get the Corsair or cable mod when it is widely available. Don’t want to play fastest finger with those products.

Cable Melting I watched a video where it said the cable is flush against the glass of the case and it bends and melts.
Too much POWER so that is why everyone is talking about Cable Mod cables less Bend for the buck.
They can keep talking because those cables still haven't been released and something tells me the supply won't be very high. Which is too bad for them, I bet they could gouge it up big time right now.

Back