Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

Water blocking is cool but it costs so much and creates a deterrent to upgrading. I have seen so many "new" builds with an RTX 3090 water cooled. Dude - get current. No...blocks aren't available...I can't get the card I want that has a block...I don't want to re-plumb my system...etc. Meanwhile I'm on air with the latest video card with 35%+ gains.

I know this is [H] but what exactly does 5% do for you in the real world?
Not much, but that's just the starting point. A custom loop WC setup on a GPU can typically get you a LOT higher than 5% while easily sustaining it due to its superior ability to keep heat in check and prevent throttling. WC affords much lower operating temps, especially when pushing the GPU hard for long periods.

For me, the rest of my system is already massively watercooled anyway (CPU and MB VRM/Chipset) so adding a new GPU into the mix is simply the added cost of the waterblock. Once you've invested in a good custom WC setup, you do not have to replace everything every time you upgrade - just a block.

Not for everyone, but I really prefer watercooling. Everything runs much cooler and quieter.

Water blocking is cool but it costs so much and creates a deterrent to upgrading. I have seen so many "new" builds with an RTX 3090 water cooled. Dude - get current. No...blocks aren't available...I can't get the card I want that has a block...I don't want to re-plumb my system...etc. Meanwhile I'm on air with the latest video card with 35%+ gains.
I'm putting quick detaches on my gpu when I rebuild my loop just for that reason, not that I'm upgrading anytime soon though.

I don’t need to upgrade the day something comes out - gives you a chance to see if there are any core issues (3000 series rear capacitors?), who makes a better board, etc. within a month or two blocks will be out, and drain/fill takes an hour.

Or just buy a little USB/HDMI screen for like $50 and have it display whatever you want displayed.
1666373492311.png

ASUS ProArt PA147CDV

Reactions: DPI
like this
Not sure why people want to water block this card. My TUF runs 57-60 C maxed out in all games. Waterblock, extra cooling money, extra MHz - all is a complete waste of time and money. I know this is [H] and all but throwing away money is something else.

Not sure why people want to water block this card. My TUF runs 57-60 C maxed out in all games. Waterblock, extra cooling money, extra MHz - all is a complete waste of time and money. I know this is [H] and all but throwing away money is something else.
I'm with you. My 4090 runs cool and quiet. I see no reason to put it under a waterblock. As always YMMV.

Won’t fit otherwise. Plus quieter this way. And doesn’t look silly. My blocked 3090 barely fits and I definitely want the cpu on water.

CPU I understand. TUF runs quiet even with Strix OC bios. I can’t hear it at all. Been playing games all day.

Fitting is a different matter altogether.

Reactions: AP2
like this
I wanted the AIO version because its much easier to fit into a few SFF cases. I was going to have to swap everything out to a Lian Li O11 mini otherwise.

I'd almost think that water cooling is more of hobby thing by now. "neatness" factor and all that.

CPU I understand. TUF runs quiet even with Strix OC bios. I can’t hear it at all. Been playing games all day.

Fitting is a different matter altogether.
Fans are idle on a custom curve tied to water temp. Love that it stays silent even if something spikes either device since res temp won’t increase.

Plus why not. It’s fun.

I scored a SUPRIM liquid off MSI website. I was really torn between the FE and that lol. Since its got good build and kinda white and silver to match my case lmao. But I will sell one off here if someone needs it to help them out. But I am torn so I don't know which one. May be cost + shipping + how nice you tip lol. I got the lain li case so I can side mount the radiator too. HMMM.

IDK I had to cuz I had the shot lmao.

I scored a SUPRIM liquid off MSI website. I was really torn between the FE and that lol. Since its got good build and kinda white and silver to match my case lmao. But I will sell one off here if someone needs it to help them out. But I am torn so I don't know which one. May be cost + shipping + how nice you tip lol. I got the lain li case so I can side mount the radiator too. HMMM.

IDK I had to cuz I had the shot lmao.
You miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

Says the guy who upgraded from 3090 to 3090ti only to fire sale it a few months later to buy a 4090 :p

I already have my 3090 in a custom loop with a beefy push pull rad in front. If i get a 4090 it wont fit unless i block it. I have zero intention of upgrading my already large P500 case to something else or abandoning my very quiet loop. Mind you i will prob sit this gen out anyways since my games run good.

When the coolers are 4 slots wide I wouldn't be surprised if throwing on a waterblock doesn't provide much benefit outside of freeing up slots.

My FE is ready for pick up tomorrow, day early. Going to pack up my 3 year old and pick it up lmao. She tagging along with daddy.

So on Reddit everyone is down clocking it to save power. 🤣. I mean I get it but I ain’t spending all this money on a GPU just so I can save 75 watts and lose 10%. What’s the fun in downclocking. I am getting all the power for my $$ 😂😂

So on Reddit everyone is down clocking it to save power. 🤣. I mean I get it but I ain’t spending all this money on a GPU just so I can save 75 watts and lose 10%. What’s the fun in downclocking. I am getting all the power for my $$ 😂😂
Unless you're just cranking the card at 4K with all RT goodies on, it doesn't even use that much power.

Just playing around to see what the Suprim Liquid can do. Did a few runs, I found I can crank it to +200 core +1750 memory and get a time spy extreme graphics score of 20652. Tops out at 62c for a few seconds during the test. I've only been playing COD lately and it barely turns the fan on, stays about 42-45c with settings max but DLSS on. Not interested in going back to CP2077, need another game that I can play through that will really test the 4090.

Reactions: noko
like this
You ever have one of those days when you break down pay a scalper for a Asus TUF OC....and then you walk into MC 30 mins later for something else and they f'ing have Strix's.....so now you have to buy that also....

Attachments

• PXL_20221022_162741426.jpg
    PXL_20221022_162741426.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 0
Yep - spending $1100 more for a card with a LCD screen seems impractical at best. Plus all the risk associated with using a supplier in China. Get a $1599 card instead, waterblock it, and buy a separate monitoring solution if you must.
I really like that LCD screen! They lowered the offer from $2700 to $2408 but that is still way too much. I asked them if they can at least go under $2000 and they said

My friend, it doesn't matter. The price is not stable now,
I do not recommend buying now

I will see if they ever come down in price, if not I will just get the FE.

Leaks, corrosion, maintenance.
FUD.
Leaks: I've never had a leak. If you know what you are doing and do it right with a custom loop, zero leaks.
Corrosion: Don't mix metals (aluminum with copper), stay away from dyes and "custom" fluids. Just use distilled water and something to prevent biological growth (several drops of iodine). Zero corrosion issues.
Maintenance: Blow out all the radiator/fans once a year. (You have to do this to a heatsink/fan setup anyway.) Takes all of 5-10 minutes of work. Change the water whenever I do a GPU or CPU upgrade (every 2-3 years).

Once you have the skills and have made the initial investment in a custom loop, water cooling beats the pants off of air cooling. Runs quieter and cooler.

FUD.
Leaks: I've never had a leak. If you know what you are doing and do it right with a custom loop, zero leaks.
Corrosion: Don't mix metals (aluminum with copper), stay away from dyes and "custom" fluids. Just use distilled water and something to prevent biological growth (several drops of iodine). Zero corrosion issues.
Maintenance: Blow out all the radiator/fans once a year. (You have to do this to a heatsink/fan setup anyway.) Takes all of 5-10 minutes of work. Change the water whenever I do a GPU or CPU upgrade (every 2-3 years).

Once you have the skills and have made the initial investment in a custom loop, water cooling beats the pants off of air cooling. Runs quieter and cooler.
It isn't FUD. If you want to say they are rare or the people that it happens to are incompetent that is one thing but I could flood this thread with posts of systems that were ruined by failures with water cooling.

You guys think my ASUS TUF is a dud?

I can only get it to run at 2880 and 12,000 mem.

Also my scores seem to be lower than most people. I am doing 2709X in Port Royal and about 29K in Timespy. Superposition is 33K or something.

What gives?

Back